DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:52 PM

Default The difference between collecting and hoarding...

...is organization. :-)

The recent threads about "how many drums do you have," "how many cymbals," and "is your car worth less than gear" combined with my recent experience of selling some cymbals made me realize that even though I have a modest collection (read: organized) of cymbals, I do share some of the attachment issues, but to a much lesser degree, that the hoarders on the t.v. show, "Hoarding: buried alive" have.

I've sold off about a dozen or so cymbals in the past few weeks and each time I've had a part of my brain say, "I hope he doesn't really like that cymbal and changes his mind on it." A specific sale involved someone buying a china and a 16" crash. I still have 5 other china cymbals and the 16" crash was a duplicate. I realized I was crossing over into hoarder mentality when I thought, "I might need that specific sound some day" and it caused me to mentally pause on selling the cymbals.

I'm not trying to free up space at the house and I'm not letting gear go because I need money, but I did promise my significant other that I'd hold off (for now) on putting "new money" into any gear and if I bought something I didn't really need, I'd sell something else I already had that I didn't really need. I did buy a brand new kit recently and the gear I've sold has paid for it.

The excitement of the new kit certainly does help offset the anxiety of letting that gear go, so there's that at least. I also understand the psychological process of getting attached to objects and any history they have. And frankly, some of the cymbals and gear I bought have been purely just so I could say (even if just to myself) that I had it.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: The difference between collecting and hoarding...

I'd like to hoard first, then deal with what will make me a collector. Neither will happen, so I'll settle for a simple drum upgrade. :)

Last edited by AzHeat; 07-21-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:34 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The difference is how the things are stored and/or catalogued. :)
Old 07-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post
The difference between collecting and hoarding...

Sort of agree - little difference.

Collecting usually applies to specific items.
Hoarding is usually a bit more haphazard.
The end result is similar though.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The difference is how the things are stored and/or catalogued. :)
The threads about how much gear we have, or if it's worth more than a vehicle, give me the feeling that my apartment is being cased [just a little].

I never really kept too much track on my gear, what it was, or how much I had, until I had a bunch of gear stolen and sold off a few pieces.

After that, I rounded up all of the gear that I had in two storage units [both of which were mostly NOT gear], I ended up finding over $10k worth of gear, including a bunch of cymbals I hadn't been using, extra rack mounts, etc.

I had made an Excel spread sheet, logging all of this. When I mentioned it to Bermuda, he told me about using a database. With that, I got off my rump, taught myself Access, and created a database.

My database has things broken down by category, i.e., Electronic Drums, Acoustic Drums, Cymbals, Hardware, Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Peripherals, and so on. It has the manufacturer, description, year purchased, new or used, serial number, and retail price [for insurance purposes].

Each item has a series of photographs attached to it, and it is also noted where the item is currently residing [storage or home]. There's a "Notes" area where I can add where I purchased the gear, as well as any interesting details about the gear.

The main page of my database also has a legend, broken down by category, telling how many pieces I have for each category, and the dollar value of each category.

I am reluctant to say how much the value of the gear might be, but I will say that I have a total of 176 items catalogued. Learning how to use Access, and figuring out what I have has been the best thing ever.

I'm confident in what I actually have, so I won't be purchasing duplicates by accident.

Last edited by DrumWild; 07-21-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

A collection has a name, e.g., "My Black Beauty Collection" or "My Pre-1968 Ludwig Drum Collection." A hoard is a nameless amassment.

So, to keep things honest, name your hoard, "My Post-1900 percussion Collection" and you're good! Oh, and organize and catalog it! ;-)
Old 07-21-2017, 08:16 PM

I'm guilty of owning far more cymbals than I'll ever actually need - and buying cymbals that I knew I'd never use, but bought them because I like the sound, had the money, and didn't currently own a cymbal of that type and that diameter - I consider them to be 'big boy toys' rather than working tools or essentials.

In particular I own 5 chinas , 12 splashes/china splashes ranging from 8 - 12" but I only use one 8" splash (occasionally), and 3 14" and 4 15" crashes that, have never left my home. and I'll probably never use for anything other than home 'playtime' rather than actually playing. Sometimes (at home) I'll swap cymbals over for different songs/genres but this is just for my own entertainment rather than necessity. These are in addition to the cymbals I actually use (or the duplicates/alternatives that I may need to use).

On the plus side, I bought all of them used except for a single 10" splash, so if I need to raise some cash I have the option of selling. I seriously doubt I'll see any profit, but I shouldn't get spanked too hard if I have to sell. They are also easy to store and unlike drums its not as if they take up a lot of room, I still check out flea markets, 2nd hand shops, charity shops and eBay to see if there any cymbals for sale locally to check out..

I don't go over the top and try to collect a 'complete set' of a certain range - I just buy occasionally when I see and hear something I like and don't worry too much if its an item I'll actually use outside my home. Some people collect cars - good luck to them, if they have the money why not?

I'd like to own a collection of drumsets, but unlike cymbals storing them would be a major problem for me
Old 07-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

This is gonna mean something different to different folks.

I'm simply not attached to gear anymore as long as I can get what little I like. We are in a situation in the guitarworld now where everyting is available and the reissues are for the most part even better. With drums it's getting close, but there are a nfew obvious things many of us miss.

Some pros have a ton of gear, but it's a bit different, right. First of all the can afford and store it and a lot of it is probably gifts, prototypes etc..

For a drummer, unless you're a very specific type of session player, there's a limit to how much you need. All sizes you're likely to use of the model of drum you like and the doubles for certain gigs if that makes things easier. A kit on every continent for the big names, but one in the shed and one in the band van is often just as valid.

The real collector is like someone collecting stamps or something. They might play, but that's not the main thing. They will often share their passion though and pass it on to a museum for all to enjoy.

Hoarding is mindless. Often compensating for something else.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

My brother is a hoarder just like on that show.
It's a tragedy. It ruins family dynamics.

Whenever I see a craigslist ad with a picture of a pile of drum garbage, it makes me curse out loud.

Our bandleader found an old snare drum on the street on garbage day.
I said put it back or I'm out.
She did.

Hoarding drives me bonkers. It's nothing like collecting.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post
Certainly, organization is part of collecting. How you store items, is also important. Very important. If you're storing items properly, so the don't deteriorate .... you're a collector. Your valuables will remain valuable. Hoarders tend to neglect.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:07 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
My brother is a hoarder just like on that show.
It's a tragedy. It ruins family dynamics.

Whenever I see a craigslist ad with a picture of a pile of drum garbage, it makes me curse out loud.

Our bandleader found an old snare drum on the street on garbage day.
I said put it back or I'm out.
She did.

Hoarding drives me bonkers. It's nothing like collecting.
I go into a lot of people houses for my work and in this one house, the matriarch of the family collected newspaper and magazine articles. They were piled floor to ceiling with paths for each room. The kitchen was clear. While I was there replacing the stove, she was adding to the collection. One stray flame and that place would have gone up like...a house that was filled with newspaper...

I couldn't wait to get out of there.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:23 AM

I think I have the opposite of "hoarding sndrome".

I can't stand any clutter whatsoever. I'm frequently sorting through my stuff to see what I can get rid of.

I think it might be because I'm a bit of a nomad. I've moved house, country, and continent many times in my life and I hate having to deal with an unnecessary amount of belongings every time. I think it was Sonny Rollins who said "belongings is not where it's at" or something like that.

I've often found that many of the things one deems worthy of keeping will later lose their importance. I remember a large box I had with some memorabilia that I sorted out. Only considered half of the contents to be keepers. A few years later and half of the stuff that previously had "keep for life" status got weeded out. That large box became a very small box in the end.

The more the world becomes a "selfie" obsessed, record-every-moment-for-posterity kind of society where every trivial item is important, the more I just want to scale back. I don't subscribe to the view that everything must be kept "because you might need it one day". I Wonder how many closets, garages, and storage units are filled up with random stuff that will never see the light of day again. Just look at that TV programm where they auction of the contents of abandoned storage units. Crazy.

Of course I have neither the money nor the space to hoard or collect anything.
But even if I did, I don't see myelf having 10 ride cymbals. I'm one of the nutcases who's always hoping to find the holy grail of rides that does everything. You believe it exists, don't you? (cue the Indiana Jones music and an image of Harrison Ford holding aloft one ultra shimmery beauty of a cymbal)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post

I can't stand any clutter whatsoever. I'm frequently sorting through my stuff to see what I can get rid of.

I think it might be because I'm a bit of a nomad. I've moved house, country, and continent many times in my life and I hate having to deal with an unnecessary amount of belongings every time. I think it was Sonny Rollins who said "belongings is not where it's at" or something like that.

I've often found that many of the things one deems worthy of keeping will later lose their importance. I remember a large box I had with some memorabilia that I sorted out. Only considered half of the contents to be keepers. A few years later and half of the stuff that previously had "keep for life" status got weeded out. That large box became a very small box in the end.

The more the world becomes a "selfie" obsessed, record-every-moment-for-posterity kind of society where every trivial item is important, the more I just want to scale back. I don't subscribe to the view that everything must be kept "because you might need it one day". I Wonder how many closets, garages, and storage units are filled up with random stuff that will never see the light of day again. Just look at that TV programm where they auction of the contents of abandoned storage units. Crazy.

But even if I did, I don't see myelf having 10 ride cymbals. I'm one of the nutcases who's always hoping to find the holy grail of rides that does everything. You believe it exists, don't you? (cue the Indiana Jones music and an image of Harrison Ford holding aloft one ultra shimmery beauty of a cymbal)
It's a regular 20" K, look no further :)
My wife is a hoarder but not as terrible as her dad. I can create a whole subforum about his house but I won't...
As far as drumming gear is concerned, if I don't use it anymore, it's on the way out, inevitably. There is no "maybe some day". I either sell or give away and then it's easier to explain to the wife why I need to buy something else :)
Old 07-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

There are a few basic differences between hoarding and collecting from my perspective. I know this is a gross oversimplification--for what it's worth--because there are so many varying degrees between different cases.

Hoarding both relieves and produces anxiety as it insulates an individual from the world. It's a coping mechanism in an attempt to find comfort, but becomes a cycle of relieving and inducing more anxiety. Regardless,
hoarding negatively impacts an individual's ability to function daily. I know this to be true because my sister was a hoarder the last decade of her life. She was looking for some semblance of control from a traumatic
incident as a child that she kept hidden for several decades.

Collecting does not negatively affect a person's ability to function daily. Some people collect as an investment hoping for a future pay off. Some collect for the pleasure of the "hunt" or as a hobby. I have a friend who
has an extensive autograph collection of musicians and athletes. He just enjoys reaching out, acquiring and displaying autographs. But collectors are not impaired in their relationships and ability to function day to day.
(Disclaimer: your spouse may still get upset with some of your new purchases or you hanging onto gear! That's called marriage.)

I don't consider myself to be either when it comes to drum/cymbal purchases. Everything is a tool to be used. It's purchased for a particular sonic reason. Also, I had a master list and that list is nearly wrapped up.
There's no driving compulsion to keep acquiring more even though I may sell off some items at some point in the future and possibly add other items.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
Collecting does not negatively affect a person's ability to function daily.
This sounds rather spot-on. It's like the difference between suffering from OCD and being overly-tidy. Someone who cleans a little bit too much just has an extra-clean place. Someone with OCD will see a negative impact on their ability to function.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:10 AM
Silver Member

You have more than me, you are a hoarder.

I have more than you, I am a collector.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:53 PM
Gold Member

Wish I had the money to be a drum collector :) I'll keep with my lps!

For me hoarding is when you just keep junk that isn't worth anything like over used heads. Couldn't do that.

Having said that there's nothing worse that when you need a part for something and realize you threw said part away.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 PM

When I was young I did odd jobs for a sweet old lady down the street. One of our regular chores was to attempt to impose order on her huge basement full of "precious" things that she couldn't part with. She ended up in a nursing home where she was allowed one shelf to store her things. All those precious mementos and books and magazines and heirlooms probably ended up in a dumpster.

I think of this every time I have to decide whether to keep things or get rid of them. Even things with a strong emotional attachment are just triggers for memories. They aren't the memories themselves. That's an important distinction because if you're lucky enough to make it to old age, they'll only let you keep the memories, not the stuff.

I'm in favor of moving things on to people who will use them instead of hoarding them and not using them. If no-one can use it, toss it.

The moment you think you can't get rid of things, you become a slave to them.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTheSong View Post

The moment you think you can't get rid of things, you become a slave to them.
How true.

Guess Lennon was on to something about a world with no possesions.

But if you listen carefully to the fade out of Imagine, you'll hear him sing "except for vintage K rides cymbals"... I'm sure of it.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

I know that this is a fun thread, but I think the difference between collecting and hording is a certain level of mental illness.

With that said, if anyone wants me to destroy another thread's fun, let me know! I'll be around.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

I read somewhere....

"The more things you have...the more things have YOU..."

And somewhere else...

"Contentment is wanting what you have."

Personally, I have discovered that all the joy of "the hunt", all the celebration of a "great deal", and that (all too brief) feeling of contentment when finally getting that "one more ....." (Fill in the blank), has not equaled, let alone surpassed, the level of aggravation or concern from simply having too much stuff. I realized one day that I was tripping over unused stuff to get to stuff I wanted to use more. That was a revelation in itself....

One significant difference between "having things" and "hoarding things" as far as I can tell is the VALUE of the things. At least in the hoarding shows I've seen, there are newspapers or magazines, or even bags of "stuff" floor to ceiling. I think it is quite a bit different than having, say, a pile of Dynasonic parts in a box, or a stack of cymbals. Why? Well, a reasonable person could justify "dumping" 20 years of newspapers I think. But a box of drum parts? Not so easy to just "get rid if them" as people may suggest. Not saying it justifies keeping ALL those parts, but it takes a bit of effort to move them out of the house...

I have one 7 piece Tama kit and one extra Tama bass drum that would EASILY serve any drumming need I have-today or tomorrow. I have three snare drums that could satisfy me as well. But getting to the place where I can part with my two mid-late 60s Rogers Kits? That my friends has proven to be very difficult...lol.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
I read somewhere....

"The more things you have...the more things have YOU..."

And somewhere else...

"Contentment is wanting what you have."

Personally, I have discovered that all the joy of "the hunt", all the celebration of a "great deal", and that (all too brief) feeling of contentment when finally getting that "one more ....." (Fill in the blank), has not equaled, let alone surpassed, the level of aggravation or concern from simply having too much stuff. I realized one day that I was tripping over unused stuff to get to stuff I wanted to use more. That was a revelation in itself....

One significant difference between "having things" and "hoarding things" as far as I can tell is the VALUE of the things. At least in the hoarding shows I've seen, there are newspapers or magazines, or even bags of "stuff" floor to ceiling. I think it is quite a bit different than having, say, a pile of Dynasonic parts in a box, or a stack of cymbals. Why? Well, a reasonable person could justify "dumping" 20 years of newspapers I think. But a box of drum parts? Not so easy to just "get rid if them" as people may suggest. Not saying it justifies keeping ALL those parts, but it takes a bit of effort to move them out of the house...

I have one 7 piece Tama kit and one extra Tama bass drum that would EASILY serve any drumming need I have-today or tomorrow. I have three snare drums that could satisfy me as well. But getting to the place where I can part with my two mid-late 60s Rogers Kits? That my friends has proven to be very difficult...lol.

My thing is if it has no value, I get rid of it.

I have 5 drum sets:
  • Tama Rockstars: I can't get rid of them because they were my first drum set.
  • Pork Pie USA Customs: These stay at church. I don't move them.
  • Pearl Sessions (Mario Edition): I don't get rid of these because (a.) I don't anyone would want them because of the finish, and most importantly (b.) it would break my son's heart because he loves video games.
  • PDP CX (Larry Edition): This is my practice set. They don't get torn down.
  • Ludwig Centennials: These stay in the cases, ready to go at a moment's notice so I don't ever have to set up and tear down between practice and playing gigs.

This is all I'll ever need. Heck, it's more than I'll ever need. I have a lot, but I don't consider myself a hoarder.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post

My wife is like that she'll systematically get rid of stuff. I'm a tinkerer and a repurposer. I realized the other day that nearly every, nut, bolt, washer, and stand I had was used in some way, and needed more nuts and bolts. I don't like things sitting around unused.

I'd like to turn over (trade or sell) some of my cymbals and get some Wuhans and gongs, but the expense of selling and buying keeps me from doing so, the mark down is too big. I met a guy that was sort of a hoarder with a huge amount of really cool gear via craigslist, he wanted to trade but he was trying to make money on the deal, and his stuff was sort of beat up and didn't sound as good. He even had my exact same model of cymbal, so we could compare.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

I'm not hoarding or collecting...I'm amassing an arsenal!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-30-2017, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

I have a pretty nice sized arsenal in drums and cymbals but mostly all get used with the bands so I justify that collection in that they are there for a purpose. I buy things as I feel that I need them for an application, not that it need them for the sake of needing them- I haven't actually bought anything new in the last 15months or so.

I did sell off a Gretsch kit last year and actually came close to buying it back last week, ultimately I passed up the purchase as I sold it in the first place as it wasn't being used and that would have been a hoarding purchase. Glad common sense prevailed in the end.

My other half however has seen me typing this post and she's told me I'm a hoarder so I guess that shuts me up......ha

Last edited by Juniper; 07-30-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:26 PM

If you actually play a good portion of your gear at least occasionally, neither term is really appropriate. It's more like a toolbox. "Collection" has connotations of included items being for display rather than use, and an implicit acknowledgement of selection for resale value, which may or may not actually be the case.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

We don't own, collect, or hoard squat-it's just an illusion cause when you die you aren't taking it with you. We are just stewards of stuff for a short while-and if you take care of it other people can enjoy it and become stewards too long after you're gone (I think about that with vintage drum collectors and past owners).
Old 08-04-2017, 08:52 AM

If it's your gear, it's a collection. If it's someone else's gear, they're hoarding :)