DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:49 AM

Default What happened with Vic ???

I've looked around the net, as to what the situation was with Vic leaving his own shop but, I can't seem to get a solid answer. Was this talked about already, if so...I guess I missed it. Anyone here know the story with that ?
Old 07-27-2017, 04:59 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Default Re: What happened with Vic ???

What story is this? Vic who?
Old 07-27-2017, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Vic Firth passed away in 2015.

But I assume you mean someone else.

The guy in Chicago?
Old 07-27-2017, 05:20 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Vic had an investor, and the shop wasn't performing to the investor's satisfaction.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:21 AM

Vic Salazar.... Vic's Drum Shop. Why did he leave, where did he go???
Old 07-27-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Vic had an investor, and the shop wasn't performing to the investor's satisfaction.
This. Investor pulled the plug.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Given how difficult it is to sell any drum products for a profit, I always wondered how he managed to keep his shop going.

A shame though, he seemed like a good guy.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

Well my fear is that when all the mom & pops stores close down, we'll be in a situation of oligopoly (2-3 big box plus amazon). Edit : and I have the same fear regarding many other business models, with the ensuing possible colluding.

Then again, you can't coerce people into losing money.

I have profound disdain for people who bash on cymbals and finger mark them all over, then pull out their phone to find a 10$ discount online and leave the store without looking at the staff. Zero respect for the work and risk these people take.

I find that local shopping is one of the only ways to make a visible and positive difference in my community, and only resort to shopping online for stuff unavailable locally.

Good luck Vic.

Last edited by Groov-E; 07-27-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
Then again, you can't coerce people into losing money.
I have profound disdain for people who bash on cymbals and finger mark them all over, then pull out their phone to find a 10$ discount online and leave the store without looking at the staff. Zero respect for the work and risk these people take.
It's not really the customer's responsibility to respect the store-owner's ethic, although that would be a good idea for all if those customers understood a few things. Also, I think the stores don't do enough to promote the advantages of buying the item in front of you. This applies to cymbals most of all, but also any item whose quality or characteristics can vary: sticks, exotic wood snare, heads, etc. It's smarter to buy when you have the right one in your hand, and trying to save a few bucks on something shipped from an online warehouse can backfire and result in a frustrating, time-consuming, and potentially costly return/replace/refund process. In the meantime, that cool cymbal in the local shop has been sold to someone else (probably me!)

This isn't to suggest that a small shop can constantly match or undersell the competition, it's just not possible for an independent store that doesn't have the buying power of Amazon, Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, etc. (although the big vendors aren't always passing along their savings.) The store owners and their staff need to educate the customer about why it's better for them to buy the item they can see and hear and play, rather than take a chance on something anonymously pulled off a shelf. That doesn't mean confronting them as they walk out after "showrooming" a bunch of gear, but maybe putting up a sign or advertising their "Find a better price? Let's Talk!" policy. I know just about every store will meet a price, but I don't think the customers are convinced.

Both the stores and customers need to also understand that losing a sale over just a few dollars doesn't benefit either of them, and that a customer running around and spending a lot of time trying to save $10 may not have saved anything at all.

Bermuda

Last edited by bermuda; 07-27-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:09 PM

I should add that Vic's is a very cool shop, with a very large and diverse inventory. That means they have a lot of money/payments tied up in gear, and if the gear isn't moving, it's literally bad for business. Even with attractive pricing, there's evidently not enough traffic to support that much gear. It's a simple case of being too leveraged. I don't know that Vic being out of the picture affects that dynamic, but the investor obviously wanted a change.

Bermuda
Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 PM

It was really sad to see Vic go. He has such energy and passion about drums and was always warm and welcoming even when he was running his tail off. I'm going to take a moment and give a very proper and well deserved shout out to his staff as well - also the reason Vic's Drum Shop is amazing.
I walked in there for the first time, a year and a half ago after a 12 year break from drumming. There was so much to look at and to choose from and Vic and his staff were a pleasure to deal with every time. I had the opportunity to build my dream kit and was always happy to pull into the parking lot knowing what awaited inside! I picked up my first set of Gretsch USA Customs along with all the necessary hardware, heads, cymbals, several snares and everything else...for now.
Like many here, I'm aware of the dire retail environment having a financial impact on all stores. It sucks but there's no turning back.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:54 AM

Hmmm. I went to Chicago for the King Crimson show a couple weeks back. I got in early enough to pop into Vic's. Looked like business as usual but did not see Vic anywhere. That night, after the show, I saw him talking with Gavin. I sidled up to say "hi" and tell Gavin how much I had enjoyed the show. When I mentioned to Vic that I had stopped in his shop earlier, his response was a little less enthusiastic than I'd expected. This news might explain that.

So now what?
Old 07-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

They're still chugging along in business.