DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-18-2017, 02:36 AM
XXX46XXX XXX46XXX is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 39
Default CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUKEg6ye36Y

For those of you guys who grew up playing street fighter 2 this one is a treat lol I believe its in 7 and I actually love the double stroke roll on the hi-hat before the upbeat lol I heard this the other day and i was like whoa lol enjoy

Last edited by XXX46XXX; 07-18-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2017, 05:38 AM
XXX46XXX XXX46XXX is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 39
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

Crickets.....tough crowd i see lol
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2017, 06:35 PM
XXX46XXX XXX46XXX is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 39
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

I would like to ask one thing about this...when the pace is picked up in the song would you kind of call it metric modulation? You really feel like you are pushing against time as you continue through that section. I am at work so I cant give you the exact time it picks up the pace but it really reminded me of what Vinnie Colaiuta does.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2017, 07:39 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 19,461
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX46XXX View Post
I would like to ask one thing about this...when the pace is picked up in the song would you kind of call it metric modulation? You really feel like you are pushing against time as you continue through that section. I am at work so I cant give you the exact time it picks up the pace but it really reminded me of what Vinnie Colaiuta does.
I'm pretty sure that's not metric modulation. I think of metric modulation as displacement. Someone could put a finer point on that than me. I'd say that for most of the song, it hits me like they are playing it in halftime, and the part you are referring to...the tempo or meter doesn't change, they are just not half timing it.
__________________
Sucking all the fun right out of life....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-18-2017, 08:38 PM
XXX46XXX XXX46XXX is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 39
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not metric modulation. I think of metric modulation as displacement. Someone could put a finer point on that than me. I'd say that for most of the song, it hits me like they are playing it in halftime, and the part you are referring to...the tempo or meter doesn't change, they are just not half timing it.
Yeah i am referring to the 25 second mark and the 28 second mark... your right that isnt half time anymore but there is still something slightly odd about how the way the beat relates to the melody being played over it. It is straight time but i get two diff feelings out of it if that makes any sense lol I think its because the melody changes at the 28 second mark and the snare hits on that exact spot which makes it feel odd.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-18-2017, 09:54 PM
Merlin5's Avatar
Merlin5 Merlin5 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London UK
Posts: 680
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

Hi XXX46XXX,

That's no metric modulation. The melody is 11 beats long. You can count it as two bars of 4 and one of 3, or a bar of 4 and a bar of 7.

Up till 0:27 seconds, the snare backbeat is playing on all the numbers I've put in bold, which is beat 3. Or if you count as a bar of 4 and 7, the last snare is on beat 7.


Counted as two bars of 4 and one of 3
1234 1234 123

Counted as a bar of 4 and a bar of 7.
1234 1234567


When the drums double up at 0:27, the counting remains the same. But because of the nature of it being in odd time, the snare backbeat falls on the upbeats then the downbeat, alternating every cycle of 11 beats. This is what makes it feel strange and more complicated than it actually is. All it actually is, is a simple quarter note groove that you would normally play in 4/4 with the snare on 2 and 4. But as there's a bar of 7, the snare count changes from the even numbers to the odd numbers, back and forth.



And at 0:37 to 0:39 seconds, there is a phrase played in a single bar of 7 and then it resumes back to the 4,4,3//4,7 cycle. Hope this helps.


Double time


Counted as two bars of 4 and one of 3
1234 1234 123, 1234 1234 123



Counted as bars of 4 and 7.
1234 1234 567, 1234 1234 567
__________________
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-18-2017, 10:15 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 19,461
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

Merlin I get a lot out of how you break stuff down, much respect, thank you for the work you go through to post it.
__________________
Sucking all the fun right out of life....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 PM
XXX46XXX XXX46XXX is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 39
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
Hi XXX46XXX,

That's no metric modulation. The melody is 11 beats long. You can count it as two bars of 4 and one of 3, or a bar of 4 and a bar of 7.

Up till 0:27 seconds, the snare backbeat is playing on all the numbers I've put in bold, which is beat 3. Or if you count as a bar of 4 and 7, the last snare is on beat 7.


Counted as two bars of 4 and one of 3
1234 1234 123

Counted as a bar of 4 and a bar of 7.
1234 1234567


When the drums double up at 0:27, the counting remains the same. But because of the nature of it being in odd time, the snare backbeat falls on the upbeats then the downbeat, alternating every cycle of 11 beats. This is what makes it feel strange and more complicated than it actually is. All it actually is, is a simple quarter note groove that you would normally play in 4/4 with the snare on 2 and 4. But as there's a bar of 7, the snare count changes from the even numbers to the odd numbers, back and forth.



And at 0:37 to 0:39 seconds, there is a phrase played in a single bar of 7 and then it resumes back to the 4,4,3//4,7 cycle. Hope this helps.


Double time


Counted as two bars of 4 and one of 3
1234 1234 123, 1234 1234 123



Counted as bars of 4 and 7.
1234 1234 567, 1234 1234 567

thx so much... i will gladly go through this and comment more later but thank you again for your insight
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-18-2017, 10:51 PM
Merlin5's Avatar
Merlin5 Merlin5 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London UK
Posts: 680
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

No problem, XXX46XXX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Merlin I get a lot out of how you break stuff down, much respect, thank you for the work you go through to post it.
Thanks larry, appreciate that. I just enjoy working these things out. :)
__________________
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-18-2017, 11:46 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 19,461
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin5 View Post
No problem, XXX46XXX.



Thanks larry, appreciate that. I just enjoy working these things out. :)
Keep saying that, maybe it will rub off on me lol.

You put it down in such an easy to understand format, that's a beautiful thing, as is your generosity to share your hard won work.
__________________
Sucking all the fun right out of life....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-19-2017, 02:13 AM
Merlin5's Avatar
Merlin5 Merlin5 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London UK
Posts: 680
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Keep saying that, maybe it will rub off on me lol.

You put it down in such an easy to understand format, that's a beautiful thing, as is your generosity to share your hard won work.
Cheers larry, I'm pleased you think it's easy to understand, that's encouraging. In our drumming community, it's all about 'sharing the wealth' so to speak, be that physical gifts or information. Just like the feeling I'm sure you get from your amazing generosity, it gives a me a great sense of satisfaction when I know someone has benefited from it. Sometimes things have been explained to me (I don't mean at Drummerworld) in a complicated or vague way or without enough detail that I'm left just as confused if not more so than before, lol. So if I manage to unravel the secrets of some drum pattern, I always try to put it across as clear, simply and detailed as I'd want it explained to me. brentcn, Alan Rieder and some others recently very kindly demystified a pattern for me that I struggled to figure out.
__________________
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Merlin5's Avatar
Merlin5 Merlin5 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London UK
Posts: 680
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

I decided to have a go at this today for a bit of fun. :) To highlight each cycle of 11 beats, I played the crash at the start of every cycle so you can always hear where beat 1 is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu2FxUJODZc
__________________
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 AM
XXX46XXX XXX46XXX is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 39
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

Hahah that is awesome man !! I cant wait to get back to playing...im def going electric..were you running the song through the computer on the set or just from your computer. Great stuff man..i really feel like you can have fun messing around with this song. You def made it clear with the crash at 1...kinda mad i didnt figure out it was in 11 in the first place but its very clear now ;)

Last edited by XXX46XXX; 07-20-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Merlin5's Avatar
Merlin5 Merlin5 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London UK
Posts: 680
Default Re: CHeck out this SF 2 theme song lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX46XXX View Post
Hahah that is awesome man !! I cant wait to get back to playing...im def going electric..were you running the song through the computer on the set or just from your computer. Great stuff man..i really feel like you can have fun messing around with this song. You def made it clear with the crash at 1...kinda mad i didnt figure out it was in 11 in the first place but its very clear now ;)
Yep, electric definitely has its uses for working stuff out. :) When you first linked the song I hated it but it grew on me and I really like it now, and yeah it's good fun, lol. I'm glad it's all a bit clearer for you now.
The way I recorded was I ran the song on my phone and connected it to a little Behringer interface, and the drum brain audio out connections also into the same interface. I then took a minijack lead from the interface into the line-in on my Zoom Q3 HD camera.
__________________
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com