DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

Default Walopus Wraps - one man's unfortunate journey

*** My internet is on the fritz right now, so I'm having trouble uploading photos. I will add some as soon as I can ***

I’d like to start this review off by saying that Magnus (owner/proprietor) is a super nice guy, and very easy to work with… until he screws up… 3 times.

Our journey begins on February 3rd, 2017, when I sent Magnus an email inquiring about his custom wraps. I wanted a “figured maple” wrap (which is a “standard” wrap listed on the site), but in red (which puts it in the “custom” category). He said that wouldn’t be a problem. All I had to do was send him the Pantone code for the shade of red I wanted. But first, he suggested that I calibrate my computer monitor to make sure the shade was correct. Done and done. Not only did I send the Pantone code, but also the CMYK values, in case he was running his operation on Photoshop or a similar program (I like to be thorough). So I sent him $300+ (which is a very decent price for all the wraps I ordered), and he sent me the wraps.

I received the wraps, and immediately opened the box and pulled the 8x8 out. It looked awesome! From really close up, you can tell that it’s printed. But from any distance, it looked pretty damn legit. So, since the wraps don’t come with any kind of peel-off protective coating (like some wraps do), I put it back in the box until I was able to take the wraps and shells to On The Edge Drum Company for application. I didn’t want to risk anything happening to them before they were on my drums.

On the day I was loading up my car to make the almost-one-hour drive to get the shells wrapped, I started getting excited at the thought of how awesome my drums were going to look, so I decided to pull all the wraps out and wrap them around the shells, and get a “family photo” to post on the various drum forums I belong to. Upon pulling all the wraps out, I noticed that there was some pretty significant color variation between some of the pieces. I emailed Magnus about the issue, and he asked if I could send some pictures. It was about dusk at that point, so I told him I’d get pictures the following day, when it would be light outside.

So I took them all out onto my porch the next day to get side-by-side pictures in order to illustrate the color differences, when I noticed that the snare drum wrap had some faint yellow lines running vertically all along it, like when a printer starts running low on ink. I sent Magnus the pictures, and he got back to me a few days later agreeing that they were not right, and asked for a full rundown of which wraps were bad, so he could replace them.

I take all the wraps outside and carefully unroll them in my driveway (face up, of course). It is at this point that I notice that while the 8” still looks great, the 12” and the snare wrap both have the faint vertical lines; the 13” had a random hazy spot about the size of a fingerprint; the 15” has the vertical lines, and also fades to a kind of orange-y color on one end; and the 16” and 22” are more of a red-orange color all over. Magnus and I email back and forth over the next 9 days, and he says he’ll redo all of the affected wraps (which were all except the 8”), and ship them out as soon as they’re finished. Awesome!

I received the new wraps on April 7th. They had a pinkish hue to them, along with those faint yellow streaks in various spots. I sent him a picture showing the color difference, and requested a refund. He apologized, admitting “We've managed to fail what should be a straight forward job twice”, going on to say “In our defense, red is the most difficult to produce, but that's no excuse” (why is red different than any other color?). Whatever. Fair enough. He then says that he WILL give me a refund, BUT, asks that I first peruse their “standard” finishes to see if there’s anything that jumps out at me, because “They ALWAYS look consistently awesome (they are not produced the same way as the custom ones)”. I looked, but didn’t see anything that interested me. So I asked him if he could just do a basic gloss white wrap. He says he can. I then asked if I could add some matching inlay strips for the bass drum hoops to my order, offering to pay for them of course. He says he’ll throw the hoop strips in at no charge. Very nice! I forgo the refund, and agree that if he can just send me a set of basic, plain, gloss white wraps, we’ll be square (even though I don’t know if plain white should cost as much as a custom printed wrap, but again, whatever).

I received the wraps (I don’t know the exact date), and, again, left them boxed up to avoid any damage. I figured it’s a plain white wrap, no color, no printing, nothing… Essentially clear plastic film over white paper. What could go wrong? Well…

On May 8th, I once again started packing up my car to haul everything to On The Edge for wrapping. Thankfully, a little voice inside my head said “maybe you should open the box and check it out, juuuust in case”. So I did. As I pulled the pieces out one by one, I noticed little black hairs, a few crumbs, and other random debris on the wraps. Oops, my mistake… IN the wraps. Permanently suspended between the clear layer and the “finish” (pure white) layer. The chunkier bits even pushed the clear layer up enough to leave visible air bubbles. This debris was in multiple places, on EVERY wrap.

So, I email Magnus regarding these issues, and I ask for a refund. Along with the email, I send him a few pictures of the issues I found on the hoop strip, for reference. His response: “All our wrap is shipped oversize for final trimming by the customer. The center of the hoop piece will be trimmed off, as will the ends of each piece as well as one edge along the length of each piece”. Ok, but that crap is on EVERY wrap, and not just in places that will be trimmed off. So he comes back with “I went to the local Music store to see if I could find a brand new drum kit without a single flaw in the wrap. I couldn’t”. I had to remind him that this wasn’t about “flaws”, as I am aware that flaws are inherent in basically everything. This was about little black pube-looking hairs, and crumbs, encased forever in my brand new snow white wrap like Han Solo slumbering in his carbonite cocoon on display at Jabba’s palace (nerd alert!).

We email back and forth over the next month, during which time Magnus requests a list of the issues with each wrap. So I oblige with pictures of 80 (EIGHTY) separate examples of this crap. He responds with some trivial nonsense about how if you get a computer with dead pixels in the monitor, you can’t return it, and that that is somehow relevant to this situation. He keeps telling me about how I’m not going to find a wrap without any flaws. To which I point out (AGAIN) that it isn’t about normal flaws. These are LITTLE CURLY BLACK HAIRS all over my wrap. And at one point, he loses it slightly, and asks “why can’t you just wrap your drums and be happy?”. Yes, the bits and pieces were small. But they were all over the place. And on a plain white wrap, they were noticeable (and I've had crappy eyes since I was 7 years old). And really, when are hair and crumbs (especially THAT MUCH) acceptable to find in ANY new finish? I have been buying, selling, and refurbishing drums for the past 20 years, and playing for the last 30. I've owned, and had very close-up dealings with MANY drums... Never seen anything like this.

On June 9th, he finally agrees to refund my money, as long as I ship the wraps back to him. I have zero problem with this, except that shipping three boxes of wrap from California to Canada is not cheap, and I honestly do not see why I should eat the cost, considering that it was his company’s poor quality control that got us into this situation in the first place. So we go back and forth for a bit on that issue, and on June 19th, he responds with “OK, give me a heads up when you ship them. I will issue your refund as soon as I receive them and verify that they are in the same condition as when I sent them”. I assumed this meant that he was going to refund the $90 I had to spend to ship them back as well. I got the wraps shipped out on June 28th, and emailed him a picture of the receipt, which included the total amount (obviously), and the tracking numbers so he could keep an eye on the progress of the packages. I was surprised to see that he issued me a refund the following day… For only the cost of the wrap.

So now, after almost 5 months of my main kit being sidelined, and all the headaches and emails, I’m still out $90. Magnus seems like a nice guy, overall. But his product, in my opinion, is subpar. And his business practices definitely leave something to be desired. I will, obviously, never try Walopus again. Nor would I ever recommend that anyone else try them. I know that there are people that have been pleased with his products. But I am NOT one of them. And if you want my honest opinion, I would say that you should go grab a drink with the guy. Hang out and talk about drums, music, sports… whatever. But I highly recommend going elsewhere for drum wraps.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:02 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Walopus Wraps - one man's unfortunate journey

I'm ashamed to admit that it is true, we did screw up the red wood grain wrap TWICE and there were particles in the white wrap.

The issues that caused both of these problems have been resolved during the two weeks of ceased production in May. (Major upgrades and maintenance of our production equipment and facilities, as well as no longer employing part-time help) We are now up and running at double the capacity.

In my defense, I was reluctant to refund the final white wrap due to the pictures I received. (Nowhere near 80) The pictures had little green bits of tape with arrows pointing at nothing. Just more white. No flaws that were visible even when enlarging the pictures. I approached the part-time helper who had produced the wrap in question who claimed it was fine. (We no longer employ part-time help in the plant)

When I did receive pictures that actually showed flaws. I agreed to refund the order and instructed Chris to follow PayPal's instructions for return shipping since they cover the cost for shipping returns to the merchant. Then I receive an email that he had spent $90 to ship with Fedex??? I assumed that was cosher with paypal and immediately refunded the entire order including the original shipping but not the return shipping since I assumed this had been arranged with Paypal.

http://walopus.com/
Gloriously Gleaming Drum Wrap
Old 07-02-2017, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

Is this a public thread that needs everyone's opinion at this point?
Old 07-02-2017, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
Is this a public thread that needs everyone's opinion at this point?
No, it doesn't need any other opinions, though everyone is welcome. This is merely to serve as a warning to anyone considering ordering from Walopus. People post reviews on all kinds of things. A review doesn't always have to be positive.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompactDrums View Post
I'm ashamed to admit that it is true, we did screw up the red wood grain wrap TWICE and there were particles in the white wrap.

The issues that caused both of these problems have been resolved during the two weeks of ceased production in May. (Major upgrades and maintenance of our production equipment and facilities, as well as no longer employing part-time help) We are now up and running at double the capacity.

In my defense, I was reluctant to refund the final white wrap due to the pictures I received. (Nowhere near 80) The pictures had little green bits of tape with arrows pointing at nothing. Just more white. No flaws that were visible even when enlarging the pictures. I approached the part-time helper who had produced the wrap in question who claimed it was fine. (We no longer employ part-time help in the plant)

When I did receive pictures that actually showed flaws. I agreed to refund the order and instructed Chris to follow PayPal's instructions for return shipping since they cover the cost for shipping returns to the merchant. Then I receive an email that he had spent $90 to ship with Fedex??? I assumed that was cosher with paypal and immediately refunded the entire order including the original shipping but not the return shipping since I assumed this had been arranged with Paypal.
Dude, I will post all 82 pictures that I sent you right here, if you'd like. I was originally just going to post a few, so that everyone got the idea, and because posting all of them will be a HUGE pain in the butt.

You told me to check out PayPal about refunding the return shipping, and what I found was a page telling me "PayPal’s Purchase Protection program entitles you to reimbursement for the full purchase price of the item plus the original shipping costs you paid... PayPal’s Purchase Protection program does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur"

I wish my computer/internet wasn't being stupidly slow right now, so I could post pictures. I will though as soon as I am able.

And no, you did not agree to refund my money until I said I was going to look into whatever legal action could be taken. You didn't respond to me for a week after I sent the 80+ pictures, until I sent another email asking if you had received them. Then you told me about how your boss's Maserati has a bunch of stuff stuck in the paint, attempting, again, to convince me that having all the junk in the wrap was okay. Don't lie.

I checked with UPS, USPS, and FedEx, and FedEx International Ground was the cheapest. That's what I got. 3 effed up sets of wrap. $30 a box. I recently swapped IDENTICAL (except one had a beat-up finish) Granstar Custom bass drum shells with a guy. To send mine to him cost me $40. For him to send his, it cost $75. We packed them similarly and everything. I did not know until then (and maybe you didn't know either), that the origin and destination (regardless of it being the same distance) can affect the price of shipping greatly. Maybe it has to do with going through customs one way or the other. I don't know, I'm not a shipping expert. But that was the cheapest available rate when I looked online.

Last edited by cutaway79; 07-02-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:55 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I think we get the jist of this and will let the two of you settle this in private.