DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:41 PM

Default What do you think about small drum setups ?

Hello i have some question about my drum setup.
I have 4 piece pearl kit (22"-12"-14"-13"s) and i have 3 cymbal hh crash and ride (before i have 2 crash cymbal but i sold one of them) i usually play pop rock and sometimes rock songs.
I am comfortable in this setup but i want to learn something about that. 2nd crash or china is necessary. Can it effect possitive my drum play?
Shortly is setup effect our drum play or not ?
Old 05-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: What do you think about small drum setups ?

If the cymbals are different sounds, I see no problem. You can only hit one at a time so I don't think it can hurt your playing. If you like 2 crashes I say go for it. 2 is certainly not unusual
Old 05-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baturalp View Post
I think your setup can influence how you play.
If you have more drums/cymbals, you'll probably incorporate them into your style.

Many, many drummers do, and have done, just fine with exactly your setup.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

I greatly prefer two crashes, one on each side. More about playing ergonimics rather than sound palette, since the crashes could easily be identical!
Old 05-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

If I'm using a crashable ride, then one crash is enough. If I'm using a heavier/ping ride, I'll use two crashes.

An extra tom gives you different drum fills, but it moves the ride further away to the side, which can effect your timing and comfort for a while.

Of course, some styles of music call for multiple toms and cymbals, effects, side snare, etc. but actually its pretty rare to need all that gear for regular gigs.

Your current setup is very close to what I use for most of my gigs, except I use a smaller bass drum.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

I am playing the same sizes today at band practice. We play blues and classic rock. For cymbals I will use 14" Paragon Hats, a 17" AAX X-plosion Crash, and an 18" AA El Sabor (crash-ride). Peace and goodwill.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Ghostnote

Love 'em. Had bigger kits in the past. Always ended up with a stack of toms in the corner.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Matt Bo Eder

My work revolves mainly a 22" light ride and a pair of 17" hi hats. I only add a 20" thin crash to balance out the look. Would you believe some people freak out if I only have the ride and hats? The kit must look normal. Weird.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Ringo Starr only had two cymbals plus hats, and he did okay.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

I usually play a 5 piece kit with hats, 2 crashes, and a ride.

I have no problem with a 4 piece with 1 crash---I gave this one to my grandson for his birthday a couple of years ago.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I think your setup can influence how you play.
If you have more drums/cymbals, you'll probably incorporate them into your style.
This is very true! If I sit down at a kit with extra toms and cymbals, I play them. Rather, I overplay them. I learned long ago to bring exactly what's needed for a particular gig... no more, but no less. 95% of the time, that means 4 pcs, hats, and a ride & crash. Maybe 3% involves fewer toms or a single ride/crash, 1% involves an extra tom or additional cymbal (China,) and the remaining 1% I bring out the concert tom array! :)

But in every case, it's all about the right drums for the gig at hand, and that's not only how many pieces, but the sizes and cymbal types as well. That's the reason most busy drummers have multiple kits, snares, and cymbals: to get the best sounds for the particular gig or session.

Bermuda
Old 05-20-2017, 07:54 PM

Before I had a china, I'd use to crash my ride or do a dirty ride (shoulder of the stick instead of the tip) on it instead if I wanted to replace the china sound. Be careful with your technique as you do this as this might damage your ride cymbal if you aren't using proper technique.

For crashing, you should do swinging motions, preventing you from striking right through the cymbal but rather kind of sliding off the edge of the cymbal; striking just above the edge of the cymbal with the neck/shoulder of the drumstick. Matt Halpern from Periphery explains this technique pretty well on YouTube.

For dirty riding as I like to call it, I don't know how it's called by other drummers, you just hold the stick linear above the cymbal and drop the thickest part of the shoulder on the middle of the cymbal on the spots as you would normally ride it.

I could give you tips all day about how to prevent your cymbals from breaking if you need them hahah. I've spent hours of research and practice.

The reason why I got an actual China is because I was going to record my first album with a band that required me to utilize a China becuz thatz br00tal mate
Old 05-20-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
I usually play a 5 piece kit with hats, 2 crashes, and a ride.
You sure that kit doesn't feel uncomfortable to play with where that second crash is?
Old 05-21-2017, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

The crash mounted on the tom arm is my primary crash. My recording kit is set up the same way, but I also added a china to the mix.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:24 AM

I have a small kit that I've used at gigs and for recordings. Does just fine for me.

TJS Custom Maple
20"x12" bass drum
13"x5.5" snare
10"x6" floating tom
13"x7" floor tom

Last edited by DrumWild; 12-28-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:19 AM

I like to play a small set up because it makes me focus on my groove and time keeping rather than doing fills all over the place. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

I like them for practicality. I don't play more than a 5 piece anyway so I just lose a floor tom.

I have a little 60s Meazzi Hollywood concert tom kit I use for very small gigs but the 18" bass drum is gorgeous played wide open. It's 18/12/14.

I couldn't play a big setup because I'd overplay and I couldn't be arsed to set it up all the time. Anybody who can without a drum tech you have my admiration :)

I have crashable rides and lots of crash rides so the 2 cymbal approach is no bother at all but I do prefer a second crash. I use a cymbal arm from the 2nd crash to mount my ride. Save lugging another stand around
Old 05-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Only you can answer this.

Bring the right tools for the right job.

When I play at church, I have to play a five-piece (12, 14, 16 toms, but the 14 is on the left side of the hi-hats). I also have hats, two crashes, a ride, and a splash.

When I play Americana music with my friends, I have a kick snare, hats, and a crash ride.

I show up with what I need, nothing more, nothing less.

If you feel as if you need more "voices" in order to support the music, then by all means, get more stuff. If you don't, then don't.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:49 PM

I will generally take a small setup to gigs. I have an 18" kick, 10" popcorn snare, 12" tom, 14" floor, with a hi-hat, One 18" crash, and a 20" Crash/Ride. Sometimes I'll have a secondary 17" crash but, with the Crash/Ride, I find that I need the second crash less.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:17 PM

I tried getting used to "small" set ups, but I don't like it. Maybe by small you mean fewer or less?.Small toms and bass drums are out for me. I,d rather leave a drum or 2 at home, but I need the sound I want.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What do you think about small drum setups ?
I think they're small.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
I think they're small.
Oops.

I kinda thought they were big.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:50 PM
JohnoWorld

I like small drums (20, 10,14, 13 snare) but only with thin shells otherwise they don't go low enough.

I also like small cymbals because they're generally quicker, decay faster and don't feel like I'm hitting a dustbin lid
Old 05-22-2017, 07:09 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I need a small kit for certain rooms, so no matter what I think, it's a necessity.

I do feel a little more dominant on a small kit. The biggest thing I have to get used to is 1 as opposed to 2 rack toms. Sometimes I forget there's no tom there and whack my ride expecting a tom tone.

Oops!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

I suggest incorporating as many voices as you can for practice...but learn to use what you need to use for the music...not to show off the number of voices you have.

That development of will to NOT use something exercises your critical listening and allows you to decide without target limitation as a crutch.

What you lug off to a gig is a different question.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:27 PM

Something I've learned over the years is that the size of the drum kit has an effect on the audience (and the band) and often has the opposite effect that you think it might. Years ago I used to haul around a stupidly big kit. I think it often created a 'Who does he think he is?' image that I'm sure I couldn't live up to. Now I play a tiny Jazz four piece (12, 14, 18 plus snare) with HH, ride and crash. Nothing else. A friend asked me to sit in with his Rock band recently as their drummer couldn't make it. I turned up with my little jazz kit (I haven't anything bigger). It was just a low key pub gig so it was perfectly adequate and I was pleased with the sound. Afterwards I got a few nice "Proves you don't need a big kit" type comments from the audience. Try that at a Heavy Metal Stadium gig and you would get laughed off the stage.
I know that isn't really the question the OP was asking, but it is an aspect of kit size, I think.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Ghostnote

Agreed....Back when I was gigging all the time, my only kit was a 10, 14, 20 Maple Custom kit with a 5×13 snare, ride, crash, hats. I used to play everyrhing from rock gigs to quiet restaurant gigs with that kit and never got complaints about the size of my kit. On the contrary. People used to tell me all the time after shows that I made my little kit sound a lot bigger than it actually was.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:03 PM

I've gone to a small set (kick, snare, floor tom, HH, ride, carsh) for my rock/pop gigs and I love it. I feel it's made me focus on the song (groove) more and has taught me to make my fills more thoughtful, better placed...never going back again. But, as several people have mentioned , some gigs call for more color so you need to bring what the music calls for.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

I'd grow disenchanted quickly if I had to rely on a small kit.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

95% of my playing is kick hat snare anyway. The bigger set just gives me extra tones to use. I play essentially the same parts whether I'm on a small kit or a big kit, as I'm not a "fill" guy at all. I'm a "beat" guy. If I'm on a 12 piece set, and I'm playing Billie Jean, I am not tempted to utilize everything at all. It's there if I need it, but on "Billie Jean" I only need KSH. I don't use all those toms just because I can. I'll never comprehend the urge to hit things just because they're there. They have to serve a greater purpose for me to use them, apart from just being there to hit.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:30 PM
JohnoWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
95% of my playing is kick hat snare anyway. The bigger set just gives me extra tones to use. I play essentially the same parts whether I'm on a small kit or a big kit, as I'm not a "fill" guy at all. I'm a "beat" guy. If I'm on a 12 piece set, and I'm playing Billie Jean, I am not tempted to utilize everything at all. It's there if I need it, but on "Billie Jean" I only need KSH. I don't use all those toms just because I can. I'll never comprehend the urge to hit things just because they're there. They have to serve a greater purpose for me to use them, apart from just being there to hit.
You're absolutely right Larry, but sometimes hitting lots of things that make big noise is excellent therapy :-)

I'm thinking of starting a website called "Unnecessary drummer" whereby I play lots of simple straightforward songs and then sh!t all over it by doing loads of fills, adding in extra beats etc. (tongue firmly in cheek)

Sometimes I come home from work and I just play the right thing but there are days, like today, where I'm going home in 15 minutes to beat the living crap out of everything.

I destroyed the G1 on my Guru at the weekend so it'll have to be on something else
Old 06-01-2017, 01:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hello i have some question about my drum setup.
I have 4 piece pearl kit (22"-12"-14"-13"s) and i have 3 cymbal hh crash and ride (before i have 2 crash cymbal but i sold one of them) i usually play pop rock and sometimes rock songs.
I am comfortable in this setup but i want to learn something about that. 2nd crash or china is necessary. Can it effect possitive my drum play?
I'd add more small percussion, cowbell, jam block, splash, maybe a tambourine or shakers. These go along way in giving you sonic options.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

I say get a crash for your left side and a crash/ride for your right side and keep it at just two cymbals. For the last few years I've been going back and forth between having a dedicated ride and two crashes (one on the left and the other on the right outside of my ride) and a crash on the left and a crash/ride on the right and I prefer only having two cymbals. I don't like having a bunch of options because I feel like I try to use all of them when I really don't need to. Play what's comfortable to you.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:56 PM

I regularly use a small drum setup..
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2017, 08:12 PM

I'd take a setup like this one any day if I ever decided to scale down the size of my kit:
Attached Images