DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-09-2017, 07:10 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default So I'm finally gonna try this....

So being only 5' 1" (remember that song?) and a fan of the big drums, I thought I was relegated to having my rack tom way higher than I'd like. Then I saw Abe Laboriel Jr., and after becoming a fan, his unique set-up seemed custom-made for the vertically-challenged.

This was even easier for me since I'm left-footed: I only had to find a regular right-footed double pedal to try it. So I found a nice used DW 5002 Accelerator double pedal, and after I make some modifications to the slave pedal, I'm going to jump into this unique set-up for myself. I think this will totally work for me. The only downside is that my stage footprint now becomes double the width it used to be, but it might be worth demanding if I can ergonomically play the size of drums I want without having to feel uncomfortable. I'll let you know how it goes over the weekend.

For now, if you want to see this unique set-up, here's Abe doing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYR0_Txq1x0
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-09-2017, 07:29 AM
cutaway79 cutaway79 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 723
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

I used that type of setup for a while. The tom placement was awesome. But yeah, if you're playing any small stages, your bandmates will not appreciate the extra real estate taken up by your kit. Also, I could definitely tell I was playing the slave pedal as my primary (Pearl Eliminator, and Sonor Giant Step pedals). Though this was like 15 years ago, before all the advancements in U-joints and all that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2017, 08:05 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
I used that type of setup for a while. The tom placement was awesome. But yeah, if you're playing any small stages, your bandmates will not appreciate the extra real estate taken up by your kit. Also, I could definitely tell I was playing the slave pedal as my primary (Pearl Eliminator, and Sonor Giant Step pedals). Though this was like 15 years ago, before all the advancements in U-joints and all that.
I think the only modification I'll need to do with the DW slave is change out the rocker spring with the Canopus bearing flyer spring. I installed that on my DW5000 single and it literally feels like a different pedal. So maybe it'll at least help the slave to feel a little more responsive, and I'll leave the master pedal spring alone. If the pedal needs more work than that then I'll return the pedal and get my money back - good price used though at $200.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,858
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
I'll let you know how it goes over the weekend.
Cool. Look forward to your review and pictures of it all.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Cool. Look forward to your review and pictures of it all.
I tried your way, and I'm just programmed to have a rack tom in front of me ;)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2017, 12:26 PM
mikel mikel is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midlands. England.
Posts: 2,265
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

I dont see anything odd about his setup. If I was to use a one up one down setup I would always have the rack tom on the side nearest the floor tom. It just makes more sense to me to keep the distance between the drums as short as possible. I dont have my ride in the traditional position anyway as it never suited me.

The best minimalist setup I saw was a guy playing one up one down, and his cymbals consisted of hats and a 20" crash ride. Boy did he get some sounds out of what seemed to me to be a limiting setup, but he was a superb musician.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-09-2017, 03:33 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,275
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

I'm looking forward to hearing how this works out for you.

It seems like it would be really comfortable.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-09-2017, 06:28 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,059
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

I think thats a cool setup. What doesn't seem optimal is he needs his hihat stand pressed up against his BD on the left side. I'm not sure many tripod stands would fit that.
I never understood why he doesn't put the BD to the far right, up against but in front of his right side floor tom, and use the slave to reach it that way. He could then still put a ride over the BD, and still have all his toms immediately around him.
If power toms ever come back I would go to this setup :)
__________________
Louis
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing how this works out for you.

It seems like it would be really comfortable.
I'm prepping for a gig this weekend and my better judgment is keeping me from trying it out there. So I'll try it Sunday.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-09-2017, 06:48 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,275
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
I'm prepping for a gig this weekend and my better judgment is keeping me from trying it out there. So I'll try it Sunday.
Good move.

I've always wondered in this set-up, since the kick is only used by a slave unit, would there be as much trouble with it potentially sliding forward? I know that it's easy to deal with, but I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-09-2017, 10:30 PM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Good move.

I've always wondered in this set-up, since the kick is only used by a slave unit, would there be as much trouble with it potentially sliding forward? I know that it's easy to deal with, but I'm just curious.
This is probably where using a rug and DW's velcro'd base plates works best.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-10-2017, 02:58 AM
cutaway79 cutaway79 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 723
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
I think thats a cool setup. What doesn't seem optimal is he needs his hihat stand pressed up against his BD on the left side. I'm not sure many tripod stands would fit that.
I never understood why he doesn't put the BD to the far right, up against but in front of his right side floor tom, and use the slave to reach it that way. He could then still put a ride over the BD, and still have all his toms immediately around him.
If power toms ever come back I would go to this setup :)
Just need to get a clamp to attach the hat to the kick, like on a double bass set. The problem with running the slave pedal the other way, is that then he wouldn't have access to both pedals... Only the slave.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-10-2017, 03:03 AM
cutaway79 cutaway79 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 723
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
I think the only modification I'll need to do with the DW slave is change out the rocker spring with the Canopus bearing flyer spring. I installed that on my DW5000 single and it literally feels like a different pedal. So maybe it'll at least help the slave to feel a little more responsive, and I'll leave the master pedal spring alone. If the pedal needs more work than that then I'll return the pedal and get my money back - good price used though at $200.
Those Trick driveshafts are awesome by the way. They seem very durable, and make my old set of Yamaha pedals feel nearly identical. I've never tried giving the slave pedal the same kind of abuse that I would normally give my primary pedal, but I would imagine if any U-joints can take it, Trick's probably can.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-12-2017, 02:18 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
Those Trick driveshafts are awesome by the way. They seem very durable, and make my old set of Yamaha pedals feel nearly identical. I've never tried giving the slave pedal the same kind of abuse that I would normally give my primary pedal, but I would imagine if any U-joints can take it, Trick's probably can.
Is there a specific Trick part? Or there's works with anybody's pedals? I may get one. I just discovered that the DW shaft I have is shot.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-12-2017, 04:19 AM
Ghostnote
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

I can do the same thing to a certain extent with my Vector pedal. I'm left handed, so picture the opposite for most of you.

I bought a righty pedal so I could offset the beater all the way to the left and the foot board all the way to the right. That way I can set up with my bass drum about 3 or 4 inches more to the left, which allows me to get my 10x14 tom over my 26 kick in a very low position. As well, the foot board angles, so I can keep my bass drum facing forward and still have a natural feeling foot position without having to offset the drum to the left like I used to. That allows my 18" floor tom to come in a lot tighter and less far back than if I angled the bass drum.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-12-2017, 05:09 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Well, I found the correct part from Trick. $129! I'm sure it'll be well worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

So a word to the wise: just ordered the Trick linkage for my DW double pedals. At $130 I was a bit dumbfounded to the high price. But considering the engineering and the use of bearings, I was surprised the DW replacement sells for $86.

For those of you with DW5002 pedals complaining about the linkage wearing out, at $86, you're not that far away from just upgrading to the Trick.

I'm excited to try this - anything to make the slave pedal feel as good as the primary (or at least closer to it than what I've seen) is a plus. Tested with the Canopus Speed Bearing today and the slave pedal can fly, provided I kept the linkage straight. So once I get the Trick linkage, the slave pedal should feel really good.

So the $130 will be well worth it! Why spend $86 for the DW linkage?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-12-2017, 09:04 PM
cutaway79 cutaway79 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 723
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Let me just say that if you're not happy with the Trick, you won't be happy with anything else out there (that I'VE tried anyway). Some feel good in the beginning, but every other driveshaft I've used gets sloppy over time. Axis, DW 5000, Pearl Eliminator, Sonor Giant Step... And those aren't even the worst offenders. My Trick, however, has remained solid.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-12-2017, 09:14 PM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
Let me just say that if you're not happy with the Trick, you won't be happy with anything else out there (that I'VE tried anyway). Some feel good in the beginning, but every other driveshaft I've used gets sloppy over time. Axis, DW 5000, Pearl Eliminator, Sonor Giant Step... And those aren't even the worst offenders. My Trick, however, has remained solid.
I'm looking forward to it. It shipped out to me this morning. So hopefully I'll see it before Friday! I even broke down and bought a 16x26 Ahead Armor bag for the bass drum.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-13-2017, 02:02 AM
vxla vxla is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 559
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

14x18 DW VLX (or is it VLT) sounds way more powerful than most other 16x22 inch drums I've heard and is playable my short folm. Shells have come a long way, don't settle for old technology and suffer by carrying oversized drums around.
__________________
Please take a moment for the Bass Drum Pedal Questionnaire
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-13-2017, 02:27 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxla View Post
14x18 DW VLX (or is it VLT) sounds way more powerful than most other 16x22 inch drums I've heard and is playable my short folm. Shells have come a long way, don't settle for old technology and suffer by carrying oversized drums around.
You don't get it. Small drums are for sissies.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Epic snare detune from 1:20 - 1:50!

I've never had the need to try this setup, but it certainly looks like a practical solution for drums above a certain size.
It's like those DW snares don't hold their tuning very well ;)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-13-2017, 10:10 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I think it's more to do with Abe really laying it down :)
Hahaha! He does seem to play a bit heavier than most of us ;)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-14-2017, 02:06 AM
T_Weaves's Avatar
T_Weaves T_Weaves is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Forest Hills, PA
Posts: 913
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

With all due respect, I think you're chasing your tail with those big toms. I had a power tom thermogloss kit and I get lower tones from my Tama B/B's. That said, I think you like tinker with stuff so go crazy !! :)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-14-2017, 05:29 AM
ineedaclutch's Avatar
ineedaclutch ineedaclutch is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: My living room
Posts: 1,598
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Weaves View Post
With all due respect, I think you're chasing your tail with those big toms. I had a power tom thermogloss kit and I get lower tones from my Tama B/B's. That said, I think you like tinker with stuff so go crazy !! :)
He tried the B/B thing. And just the B thing. We just have to let him Bo out.
I am the exact same way btw.
__________________
Get out there. Don't be a Richard.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-14-2017, 06:01 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
He tried the B/B thing. And just the B thing. We just have to let him Bo out.
I am the exact same way btw.
Well, Mr. Weaves hasn't been here that long, so I'll assume he doesn't know I've pretty much played every brand and size out there. So I'm not speaking from inexperience. There are actually a lot of guys here with way more gear than I have too.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-14-2017, 07:03 AM
ineedaclutch's Avatar
ineedaclutch ineedaclutch is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: My living room
Posts: 1,598
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Well, Mr. Weaves hasn't been here that long, so I'll assume he doesn't know I've pretty much played every brand and size out there. So I'm not speaking from inexperience. There are actually a lot of guys here with way more gear than I have too.
I'm one of them. That's why I agree with the "it doesn't matter what I play, I sound like me" philosophy. All the gear I have is for ME. I could pick out any kit from the collection, and do 98.4% [citation needed] of my gigs, probably. There are occasions however, usually unmicd, when i feel like I have to bring out a kit with a certain vibe.
__________________
Get out there. Don't be a Richard.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-14-2017, 03:02 PM
Ghostnote
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Epic snare detune from 1:20 - 1:50!

I've never had the need to try this setup, but it certainly looks like a practical solution for drums above a certain size.
I hit as hard as Abe in that clip at times (and tune my snare as low) and that used to happen to me chronically until I started locking in my tension rods with 12-24 nuts. Even LogLocks wouldn't work.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-15-2017, 01:35 AM
T_Weaves's Avatar
T_Weaves T_Weaves is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Forest Hills, PA
Posts: 913
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
Well, Mr. Weaves hasn't been here that long, so I'll assume he doesn't know I've pretty much played every brand and size out there. So I'm not speaking from inexperience. There are actually a lot of guys here with way more gear than I have too.
I had no idea how much I didn't know ! :)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-17-2017, 12:45 AM
wildbill's Avatar
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 6,702
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
You don't get it. Small drums are for sissies.

Big Drum - Small Brain
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-17-2017, 01:36 AM
Matt Bo Eder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Big Drum - Small Brain
You didn't get the joke?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-17-2017, 02:11 AM
wildbill's Avatar
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 6,702
Default Re: So I'm finally gonna try this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
You didn't get the joke?

How could I?

I have big drums.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com