DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Default MADgeFest 2017 - 10th June

It's only a month away, squee! Time therefore to start to firm up arrangements, such as they are, as (like the very best jazz) it just sort of evolves on the night.

Ideas are welcome - I believe Andy said he'd had some.

We need things like PA, mics, amps - all that sort of hardware-type stuff that I know nothing about and don't possess.

Last time we ended up eating pizza for a fortnight so this year I think it would be helpful if people specified what food they intend to bring. If there is something that anybody needs that they can't bring, such as ice, let me know and I'll do my best to procure it (ice was a hell of a problem last year because my freezer was full of soft fruit! Should be easier this time round.). Do we have any vegans?

I'll get Chef to make a couple of caeks, dairy free for the lactose-intolerant and "full monty" for those not afflicted, and if we have a vegan or two there'll be one for them as well. I'll also do some tortillas, veggie and non-veggie, and a bit of salad, largely for decorative purposes because nobody really likes it.

Drinks-wise, just bring whatever you want to drink and as much of it as you intend to consume. I shall be the responsible adult and remain in a fit state to drive, just in case anybody needs to go to A&E after being attacked by a chiggen or something.

It would also be halpful to know how many people will be staying over. Andy, Yvonne and Henri have reserved the spare beds; dear David has bagsied the comfier sofa, so that means that the rest of you will need tents etc.

Oh - bring antihistamine if you don't get along well with cat-hair/pollen etc. Message me for address/directions/phone number if you need them.

What have I missed out?

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 05-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: MADgeFest 2017 - 10th June

We're still set and very much looking forward to it again. We'll bring the tent again like last year so no worries there.

I agree with what Andy has said about the format, the jam band format is fun but then has some structure to it so it works well.

Will have a think about food and yes last year was pizza heaven (we brought some with us and all!!) ha.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Jolly good!

Well then, we need some song ideas. I don't know any songs so I don't mind what we play, as long as it isn't Sweet Home Alabama, Summer of '69 or Valerie.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

I remember last years' videos. Sounds like a real hoot, but the price of admission is a bit steep for my pocketbook.

Have you considered a PC or tablet set up with some Skype time windows? Folks from around the world could crash your party and you wouldn't have to feed them or find a designated driver to take the drunks home. On the flip side of that coin, it would be more hardware to police and somebody would have to monitor it. Time zone differences might make it impractical, too.

Just a thought.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Somehow I'd missed this thread. I do hope I can make it, I should be able to - it is after a very busy week at work but I will let you know if I can't!

Yes to everything. I'll bring accommodation and myself and possibly (hopefully) my long-suffering other half.

I propose all of the songs that Madge hates ;). Maybe some Stones numbers in there - because if you're drunk, it'll still sound like the record. *ducks*.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:14 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Madge darling I shall be there in spirit. I am committed that day (my favorite gig of the year actually) but I will be sending a lifesize cardboard cutout of myself to represent me in spirit at least.

I am sooo looking forward to our visit in September, yay!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Somehow I'd missed this thread. I do hope I can make it, I should be able to - it is after a very busy week at work but I will let you know if I can't!

Yes to everything. I'll bring accommodation and myself and possibly (hopefully) my long-suffering other half.

I propose all of the songs that Madge hates ;). Maybe some Stones numbers in there - because if you're drunk, it'll still sound like the record. *ducks*.
Aww chicken I can't wait, you have NO idea!! It's after a very busy week for me too, so if I can, you can ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Madge, just a heads up, I have a customer booked in to try Origin kits on the day. Shouldn't be an issue, but it's not possible for me to tie down an exact arrival time. As I'm providing PA, etc, thought you should know.
Noted, thanks. We'll be here whenever, and I'll try to get a Plan B PA lined up, just in case :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Madge darling I shall be there in spirit. I am committed that day (my favorite gig of the year actually) but I will be sending a lifesize cardboard cutout of myself to represent me in spirit at least.

I am sooo looking forward to our visit in September, yay!
Larry, the cardboard cutout has arrived loud and clear but it doesn't do you justice. Dear David insists on snuggling down with it - and who can blaem him?

I keep thinking about September and getting a stupid grin on my face :D

Old 05-27-2017, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Can't imagine you needing the PA for bang on 4:30 anyhow really.
Very unlikely, I agree.

Incidentally my dear, do you by any chance have a couple of spare Guru decals for bass drum head, and "my" ovangkol snare? Just asking ...

Old 05-27-2017, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bass drum head transfers = no problem. Do you want chrome or black? What size ovangkol snare do you want me to bring?
Ah great! Chrome please :)

Umm, it was a 14" x something, I think. Of course, you could bring whatever else you think I might like ...

Old 06-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

It's tomorrow!!! I can't wait to meet everyone and have a wonderful weekend amongst friends :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
I think it would be helpful if people specified what food they intend to bring.
I was thinking about bringing 4 weeks worth of pizzas, I might have to re-think it though... ;)

Quote:
It would also be halpful to know how many people will be staying over. Andy, Yvonne and Henri have reserved the spare beds; dear David has bagsied the comfier sofa, so that means that the rest of you will need tents etc.
Bless you your Madgesty :)
Old 06-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
It's tomorrow!!! I can't wait to meet everyone and have a wonderful weekend amongst friends :)
Me four!

I am hoovering liek a woman possessed. If everybody turns up, we'll have a good number of musicians and a couple of singers too. There's a list of possible songs on the FB event page.

Quote:
Bless you your Madgesty :)
I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

The plan was tonight to head back from Hampshire to Gloucester to make the half way trip, stay overnight and drop off the baby Sparrow we're raising (long story) to the other half's parents to look after for the weekend before heading up.

Now looking to do the journey tomorrow (with a sparrow drop off in between) as we're both very much in need of an early night.

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow. Not long now!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Wish I could attend!

What fun!

Be safe and looking forward to the highlights reel...
Old 06-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Now looking to do the journey tomorrow (with a sparrow drop off in between) as we're both very much in need of an early night.
I was wondering what you were going to do with your baby spadger. Was a bit worried in case you were bringing him with you, in which case I wouldn't have rated his chances of survival very highly if the cats or dogs had spotted him!

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow. Not long now!
Dead clams are already done :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Wish I could attend!

What fun!

Be safe and looking forward to the highlights reel...
2018, Otto?

Old 06-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Currently in Coventry (literally, not figuratively) and making our way up to you later today. We thought we'd stay at a Premier Inn and make half the journey on Friday. Just makes life easier!
Old 06-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Have fun over there! I planned to attend but got a gig instead. And my Concorde broke down :(
Old 06-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Matt Bo Eder
This message has been deleted by Matt Bo Eder.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Well, my dears, WHAT a Fest that was! Last year was loads of fun; this year was quite possibly the best evening I've ever had in my entire lief! A number of people couldn't make it at the last moment - any sign of the sparrow, Jon? - and I knew I couldn't count on the Maybes so I really wasn't sure how it would go, but it was EPIC.

People were incredibly generous with the provision of food and drink - won't need to shop for a month now - and with their musical talents. It was absolutely phenomenal. I can't believe how lucky I am to know such brilliant and lovely people. There were five "factions" there last night: family & friends, the DW contingent, the Jam Night Irregulars, my jazz band cronies, and my Posh Blokes aka Wrong Direction. Everybody introduced themselves to each other and made friends with everybody else, everybody played music with each other - it was exactly what I'd dreamed it would be but hardly dared hope. It's a testament to the atmosphere that my very shy sax playing friend felt able to get up and play with a bunch of people he'd never met before.

I took a couple of videos, only on my phone so they're a bit rubbish, and my internet is soooooo slow to upload, but I'll post them when I have them.

Oh and I may have bought another Guru snare :D :D :D Didn't play it last night because I wasn't letting ANYBODY near it, but it's making its debut with Wrong Direction this evening. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Mimi:
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Well, my dears, WHAT a Fest that was! Last year was loads of fun; this year was quite possibly the best evening I've ever had in my entire lief! A number of people couldn't make it at the last moment - any sign of the sparrow, Jon? - and I knew I couldn't count on the Maybes so I really wasn't sure how it would go, but it was EPIC.

People were incredibly generous with the provision of food and drink - won't need to shop for a month now - and with their musical talents. It was absolutely phenomenal. I can't believe how lucky I am to know such brilliant and lovely people. There were five "factions" there last night: family & friends, the DW contingent, the Jam Night Irregulars, my jazz band cronies, and my Posh Blokes aka Wrong Direction. Everybody introduced themselves to each other and made friends with everybody else, everybody played music with each other - it was exactly what I'd dreamed it would be but hardly dared hope. It's a testament to the atmosphere that my very shy sax playing friend felt able to get up and play with a bunch of people he'd never met before.

I took a couple of videos, only on my phone so they're a bit rubbish, and my internet is soooooo slow to upload, but I'll post them when I have them.

Oh and I may have bought another Guru snare :D :D :D Didn't play it last night because I wasn't letting ANYBODY near it, but it's making its debut with Wrong Direction this evening. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Mimi:
Glad to hear it Madge, I was sat at home last night like a bear with a sore head knowing I was missing out on it all, knowing how much fun Madgefest 2016 was.

Lovely new addition to the Guru family, it's another beauty. Not being able to see/catch up with you all, play some music AND not being able to play some Gurus didn't help my mood last night.

We think we have seen the Sparrow a couple of times but not 100%. We have heard what could have been it calling but no chance of getting it back unless it comes back, which is unlikely!! We were planning on releasing it over the coming week as it was still relying on us to feed it by hand so it had to fend for itself at some stage. It took the desicion to bring this forward I guess by escaping when we were moving it! Maybe it didn't like the worms : )

We'll be there again next year without a doubt. Gutted we missed out but glad it was a fun day for you all.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Gosh what's that green-oh it's me with "envy". Dang Madge beautiful new snare (I know you've been drooling over a new Guru snare for some time), and you seem to throw the best parties. Next year I'm sending instructions so a 3-D printed replica of "Art" can "hang" at your party-we can stick a tape recorder in it with a message from me.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
We think we have seen the Sparrow a couple of times but not 100%. We have heard what could have been it calling but no chance of getting it back unless it comes back, which is unlikely!! We were planning on releasing it over the coming week as it was still relying on us to feed it by hand so it had to fend for itself at some stage. It took the desicion to bring this forward I guess by escaping when we were moving it! Maybe it didn't like the worms : )
You were certainly missed, Jon, but as I told you, I wouldn't - couldn't - have come either in the circumstances. I hope the lil fella makes it, especially as I was just admiring one of our local sparrow-hawks this morning :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
and you seem to throw the best parties.
I think I'm just lucky enough to have some amazing friends.

Quote:
Next year I'm sending instructions so a 3-D printed replica of "Art" can "hang" at your party-we can stick a tape recorder in it with a message from me.
Haha! Just imagine if we had a bunch of virtual DWers - that would be pretty surreal!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Ok, videos. There are three that really are worth watching, marked with a *

Left to right: Jazz Phil, Henri, Andy (fiddling), Jam Night Georgie, Mike (Liam's dad) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLbat_K9zSQ

Phil, Andy, Posh Bloke David, Duncan, Posh Bloke Paul, Posh Bloke Richard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7W9DAiHyA

Phil, Andy, Paul, Georgie, Jam Night Dave on drums, Duncan, Jam Night Terry, David, Jam Night Paul https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tglt6V3V4tE

Phil, Andy, Paul, Georgie, Dave, Terry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEYiQFsfec

* Georgie + uke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yde-MJaz4-8

Phil, Duncan and Andy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHrI791aJO8

Phil, Dave, Andy (fiddling), Georgie, Duncan, Terry, Paul https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abbfUBv75mg

* Liam, Henri and Mike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bok0FcYPRW0

Phil, Andy, Jazz Peter (usually plays double bass - I didn't know he could sing) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p213A9emFE

* Phil, Andy, Georgie, Dave, Duncan, Terry, Paul https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZslgcbwNZQ

Old 06-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Hurrah! Great stuff. Fortunately it sounds fairly similar to how I was hearing things, despite the... erm... moderate levels of alcohol consumption.

Fabulous. Thank you so much for having us :-). Amelia really enjoyed herself too and loved meeting everybody!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

Just finished watching the clips with Dawn and we're both glad to see it was a good night.

Also, always happy also to see more of Duncan's dancing feet ; ) Henri, loved seeing you head bopping in some clips also.

Thanks for uploading Madge and roll on Madgefest 2018.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Man that does look like a fun party-I like the two drum kits. Dammit I'm puttin' my foot down-you're having too much fun and no mo' parties till I can get my sorry carcass over to join in. I'm looking for the Madge playing drums video-hmmmm I must be missing something I know it's there somewhere???? Oh wait you were videoing?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just finished watching the clips with Dawn and we're both glad to see it was a good night.

Also, always happy also to see more of Duncan's dancing feet ; ) Henri, loved seeing you head bopping in some clips also.

Thanks for uploading Madge and roll on Madgefest 2018.
Hopefully we'll see you next year mate. Sorely missed!
Old 06-13-2017, 08:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hopefully we'll see you next year mate. Sorely missed!
Oh we'll be there again next year without a doubt.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Looks like another successful and wonderfully fun event! Just miss seeing you jamming behind the kit showing those boys how it's done ;)

And a big congratulations for Mimi! What a beautiful addition to the family. :)
Old 06-13-2017, 11:48 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Well, my dears, WHAT a Fest that was! Last year was loads of fun; this year was quite possibly the best evening I've ever had in my entire lief!
I totally agree, the 2017 edition was simply smoking hot, full of music, friends, love, chats and... food!!!

It was a blast to meet new friends and new talents as well as meeting old friends :)

The clips are great Madge, thank you :)

Thank you Madge and Mr Madge for your hospitality during this wonderful weekend, I had the best weekend of the year <3

Roll on MADgeFest 2018!!!

Quote:
We'll be there again next year without a doubt.
I surely hope so... we missed you guys :)

Quote:
Henri, loved seeing you head bopping in some clips also.
Hahaha... Thanks, it did make my family laugh their head off at my expense :D

Quote:
Dammit I'm puttin' my foot down-you're having too much fun and no mo' parties till I can get my sorry carcass over to join in.
Get yourself over here Art... your first MADgeFest drum duet is with me :):):)
Old 06-14-2017, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Henri, an absolute pleasure to see you and your new hairstyle...!
Old 06-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2112 View Post
Just miss seeing you jamming behind the kit showing those boys how it's done ;)
Quote:
I'm looking for the Madge playing drums video-hmmmm I must be missing something I know it's there somewhere???? Oh wait you were videoing?
Yes, I don't think there's any video of me actually drumming, but I can put my hand on my heart and say honestly that the other guys really weren't bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2112 View Post
And a big congratulations for Mimi! What a beautiful addition to the family. :)
Thank you! She's since been renamed Mei Ling, and her debut was, if not exactly a triumph, at least nowhere near a disaster.

Quote:
I totally agree, the 2017 edition was simply smoking hot, full of music, friends, love, chats and... food!!!

It was a blast to meet new friends and new talents as well as meeting old friends :)

The clips are great Madge, thank you :)

Thank you Madge and Mr Madge for your hospitality during this wonderful weekend, I had the best weekend of the year <3
So did I, Henri. It was everything you just said it was.

Quote:
Get yourself over here Art... your first MADgeFest drum duet is with me :):):)
I think the hostess gets first dibs, actually. Art, your first MADgeFest drum duet is with me!

Quote:
Henri was unanimously voted Coolest Festerer, and has several new fully paid-up members in his fan club, notably the divine Georgie.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:20 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
The feeling is mutual Duncan and I was delighted to meet Amelia :)

Quote:
Yes, I don't think there's any video of me actually drumming, but I can put my hand on my heart and say honestly that the other guys really weren't bad at all.
I certainly enjoyed our jazzy brushes duet during a couple songs :)

Quote:
I think the hostess gets first dibs, actually. Art, your first MADgeFest drum duet is with me!
Of course... where are my manners!!! Forgive me your Madgesty ;)

Quote:
Henri was unanimously voted Coolest Festerer, and has several new fully paid-up members in his fan club, notably the divine Georgie.
Fully paid-up members?!?... Haga! How much did you had to pay them to vote for me? :)

Maybe the coolest head bobbing guest? :D