DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: The drum shop no more...

"The only shining light is a small drum shop call Fred Pierce Studio Drum Shop (Bermuda knows the place.)"

Fred's is a pretty cool place. The best place for parts in my opinion. Helpful staff.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolwich View Post
I feel really lucky by comparison.
Within a 10-20 minute drive of my house I've got-
The Drum Shop in Washington Tyne and Wear. It's been going for years and moved to larger premises a few years back. Lots of stuff on display, great staff, a strong online presence which I think is essential as it becomes more difficult for 100% bricks and mortar shops to survive. The shop runs regular Sale Clubs at which really good gear is sold at ridiculously low prices, they've pulled me out of trouble several times without breaking the bank, a Paiste Alpha Crash and PST8 hi hats happily appeared at knockdown prices almost simultaneously as my own crash cymbal and hats developed cracks, a Natal aluminium snare was added to my armoury just before Christmas and scratched my itch for an aluminium drum at a reasonable price.
Newcastle Drum Centre. Like the above but on a smaller scale. The shop went out of business a couple of years back and was bought out by the Drum Shop since when it's thrived. I bought my most recent kit from them a year ago for 375 as opposed to a retail price of about 550.
Willy's Drum Shop. A tiny Alladin's Cave of second hand gems, essentials like sticks and skins and genuine collectables, not to mention always ready with a good story and time to chat. Not much brand new stuff there but the ability to buy sell and trade adds to the fun. A new "D" Case for my bass drum for 25 as opposed to more than double that on Amazon, a brand new PS3 bass drum skin for 15 (again less than half retail) and a selection of barely used 13" skins to experiment on my snare drum for a fiver a throw are recent highlights, not to mention the used 12" Black Panther snare drum that's still my "go to" snare after I think 6 years that could still pass for new.
Nice, I'd love to live close to Drum Shop. Managed a trip there last year and it was unreal (I live 260 miles away though) I had to be pretty much dragged away.

Bought my latest kit direct from the owner Andy a couple years ago through the shop so it was great to finally visit the place in person. Also very much enjoy checking out their deal email alerts, I've bought some great reduced price gear over the years from them from those sales.

We until last year had Drum Wright in Reading. Was very sad to see that shop go out of business. It was another very impressive big shop which always seemed to put on clinics and full of great gear. A sad loss for the local community.

Special mention to 'Gloucester Music' a shop that used to be open in my hometown where I spent many an hour after school playing all their kits (which sold my first drum kit 20years ago) they were very cool to a young kid hanging around in their store. The drum guy that worked there who sold me my kit was the drummer from the band EMF (Mark Decloedt). Remember him being a really cool, helpful guy.

Last edited by Juniper; 02-11-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
We got two left in the bay area ,Drummers Tradition in San Raphael and Dubs in Dublin.

I feel bad for Dubs as there is a GC scheduled to open up in the near future down the street.
Screw that, Dubs is the absolute best. Love that shop.

Bay Area is a weird place to be a musician.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croc View Post
Yep, Buddy Rogers. The one on Harrison moved a lot more rock equipment than NCH. And I loved Ray Lammers! Bought drums, harmonicas, trombone slide oil and other stuff there. Can still see it in my mind's eye...
Way before I drummed but all of the drummers that I knew always spoke highly of Stix 'N Stuff (I think I got that right. Was on Colerain at one point) and Drumshine. Drumshine tried to give it another go but unfortunately that didn't last to long. Last year I think. I bought some sticks there (all I needed at the time) and I was going to buy the heads that I needed but he closed it down by then.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:10 AM
drumbler
This message has been deleted by drumbler.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sKit View Post
Way before I drummed but all of the drummers that I knew always spoke highly of Stix 'N Stuff (I think I got that right. Was on Colerain at one point) and Drumshine. Drumshine tried to give it another go but unfortunately that didn't last to long. Last year I think. I bought some sticks there (all I needed at the time) and I was going to buy the heads that I needed but he closed it down by then.
I shopped at Maschinot's Music in Newport, KY before eventually working there. It was a great time for me because I was able to bring in new lines from DW, Istanbul, Wuhan, Meinl, and UFIP. I ended up leaving in '95 to finish college. Ol' Gary Maschinot was hard to deal/work with at times but he new the gear, especially the older stuff.

Every now and then a posting will pop up on Craigslist that I'm pretty sure is his. I can only imagine how much gear he kept after the store closed...the 2nd time.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I feel bad for Dubs as there is a GC scheduled to open up in the near future down the street.
Luckily, that GC sucks. It's open and even more worthless than the other GC's.

Darren has it nailed down though. I stop in there for sticks and end up chatting for a half hour about local gigs and drums. Support it as much as I can since I know how the other drum shops are shutting down.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Luckily, that GC sucks. It's open and even more worthless than the other GC's.

Darren has it nailed down though. I stop in there for sticks and end up chatting for a half hour about local gigs and drums. Support it as much as I can since I know how the other drum shops are shutting down.
The problem is that GC steals the low end business that these guys need to stay in the black during holidays.

I've talked to the owners of Drum World and Sam Addato's and a major part of them closing / leaving was the loss of that extra income that GC drained away during holidays..

You just don't get by on selling $10K kits.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

Used to have West Coast Drums here in Orange County, CA (they moved a couple times). That place was my Disneyland from the time my mom got me my first snare there in the mid-late 80s until they closed up a few years back. They always had some really nice gear in there. And stuff you wouldn't see elsewhere, like Page drums (anybody remember them?).
Old 06-06-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeby View Post
How does Dave's Drum Shop compare?
I like the mix of new and old at Dave's Drum Shop - nice staff too! But nothing will ever capture the eccentric 70's again (or maybe it's just my youth that I'll never recapture!)
Old 06-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The problem is that GC steals the low end business that these guys need to stay in the black during holidays.

I've talked to the owners of Drum World and Sam Addato's and a major part of them closing / leaving was the loss of that extra income that GC drained away during holidays..

You just don't get by on selling $10K kits.
I'm really hoping you're wrong. I had to pinch myself when Dub's opened. That GC really does have the worst drum department I've seen in a GC, so hopefully people still need Dubs.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I'm really hoping you're wrong. I had to pinch myself when Dub's opened. That GC really does have the worst drum department I've seen in a GC, so hopefully people still need Dubs.
Sam Adato on moving store:

He said the decision was largely based on changing market conditions. "Business changes; I'm selling less drum sets," he continued. "We're almost at Christmas Eve I've had no parents coming in to buy their kids a beginner's drum set. There's no Christmas rush. Amazon, online everything's changing, not just in San Francisco; it's everywhere."
Old 06-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Well... I can hope. The internet thing is harder to compete with. He needs to get an upgrade going for his website to go along with that thought.

Make the drive to Dublin when you need stuff!
Old 06-06-2017, 08:47 PM

Four years ago this month, Chad Sexton's Drum City in North Hollywood closed for good [June 29, 2013]. They had some good drum gear, excellent clinics, fun gatherings, and the most interesting people.

Ever since they closed, I have not found a replacement.

Photo from the last day.

Attachment 78270

Last edited by DrumWild; 12-28-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post
I shopped at Maschinot's Music in Newport, KY before eventually working there. It was a great time for me because I was able to bring in new lines from DW, Istanbul, Wuhan, Meinl, and UFIP. I ended up leaving in '95 to finish college. Ol' Gary Maschinot was hard to deal/work with at times but he new the gear, especially the older stuff.

Every now and then a posting will pop up on Craigslist that I'm pretty sure is his. I can only imagine how much gear he kept after the store closed...the 2nd time.
Lee-Bro, I grew up in Ft Thomas and spent countless hours in Maschinot's! we've probably bumped into each other. I took drum and guitar lessons there in the late 80's and continued to shop there into the 90's. I was bummed when Gary closed up shop the 2nd time. He was always good to me. My first set was from there....used Dixon (Pearl stencil) 3-piece. Also purchased a few guitars there as well. good memories. On a side note, watched Pete Rose break the all- time hit record standing in the middle of the shop.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEflyer View Post
Lee-Bro, I grew up in Ft Thomas and spent countless hours in Maschinot's! we've probably bumped into each other. I took drum and guitar lessons there in the late 80's and continued to shop there into the 90's. I was bummed when Gary closed up shop the 2nd time. He was always good to me. My first set was from there....used Dixon (Pearl stencil) 3-piece. Also purchased a few guitars there as well. good memories. On a side note, watched Pete Rose break the all- time hit record standing in the middle of the shop.
A lot of history was watched on that little tv Gary brought in. We watched the O.J. verdict on it.

As a side note to the tv, when I was trying to convince him to let me ink a deal w/ DW, one of the things I did to help the cause was record a VHS tape of MTV at home and bring it in to show him how popular the DW kits were. I just set the VCR to record and went to bed. The next day, I had 4 hours of music videos to screen through -of course that's when MTV was showing videos, VH-1 was your dad's type of music...and all that's another discussion for another time.

So are you a cake-eater too?
Old 06-06-2017, 11:35 PM
Gold Member

I guess this is what happens when people stroke the mom and pop shop all day, then go buy online for $20 less. The Phoenix Drum Shop stories of yesteryear are no different. Use to have several good fun stores to see hear and taste, now we see images of things that could be. Can't knock GC for being big and sucking the life out of the small shops. Soon, they will be gone the way of Amazon. Now all you need is a scratch n sniff app and a drone to drop our purchase on the X in the backyard the second we buy something and we'll all be happy.

Although, having to never hear some clown pounding drums into the ground at GC with double bass going at a 1000bpm sounds super appealing at times...most times.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I guess this is what happens when people stroke the mom and pop shop all day, then go buy online for $20 less. The Phoenix Drum Shop stories of yesteryear are no different. Use to have several good fun stores to see hear and taste, now we see images of things that could be. Can't knock GC for being big and sucking the life out of the small shops. Soon, they will be gone the way of Amazon. Now all you need is a scratch n sniff app and a drone to drop our purchase on the X in the backyard the second we buy something and we'll all be happy.

Although, having to never hear some clown pounding drums into the ground at GC with double bass going at a 1000bpm sounds super appealing at times...most times.
Well amazon is truly a step forward towards Orwellian utopia...scary. A business success story for sure, but that kind of integration leaves no room for intermediaries.

Why let a few distributors, carriers, shops and employees make a little money when Amazon can keep it all to itself ?

When they finally find a machine to automatically feed humans, will we be considered a society or a herd ?

Yes, I hear myself growing old...
Old 06-07-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post
A lot of history was watched on that little tv Gary brought in. We watched the O.J. verdict on it.

As a side note to the tv, when I was trying to convince him to let me ink a deal w/ DW, one of the things I did to help the cause was record a VHS tape of MTV at home and bring it in to show him how popular the DW kits were. I just set the VCR to record and went to bed. The next day, I had 4 hours of music videos to screen through -of course that's when MTV was showing videos, VH-1 was your dad's type of music...and all that's another discussion for another time.

So are you a cake-eater too?
Not really... grew up there but went to HS across the river. Been a while since I've lived there but still have family there and visit quite often. Great story recording MTV, BTW. Love it!
Old 06-07-2017, 02:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groov-E View Post
Well amazon is truly a step forward towards Orwellian utopia...scary. A business success story for sure, but that kind of integration leaves no room for intermediaries.

Why let a few distributors, carriers, shops and employees make a little money when Amazon can keep it all to itself ?

When they finally find a machine to automatically feed humans, will we be considered a society or a herd ?

Yes, I hear myself growing old...
Not just the mom and pop stores,malls are under increased pressure too from Hamazon.
JC Pennys,Maceys are running scared and losing money.

I like the experience of walking through shopping centers and discovering bargains.

The younger generations will never miss what they never had.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Not just the mom and pop stores,malls are under increased pressure too from Hamazon.
JC Pennys,Maceys are running scared and losing money.

I like the experience of walking through shopping centers and discovering bargains.

The younger generations will never miss what they never had.
Well on the northern front where we only have about 4-5 months of decent weather a year shopping malls are a strange getaway for many. So they are adding more customer experience features like restaurants, comfy lounges and rides to compensate for decrease in sales more than customers.

I do kind of resent guys walking into my lds, testing things out then validating prices Online not taking shipping fees into account and then walking out the door without looking at the staff. Just interact with the human beings, they'll work something out for you and you can keep on testing stuffin the future rather than having to buy blindly from who knows who on the net.

And that blind trust toward computers, I mean geez. When I buy my occasional 4-pack of guinness at the grocery store, the youngsters scan a can and charge me the whole pack at the price of one can. Even when I tell them that can't be the price, they are looking at me like i'm the one with the problem. They know something's wrong, but they figure the cpu messiah can't be mistaking and twice now I had to argue my way out of the discount for the grocer's financial sake, but they would not have it and still charged me 2,50$ for the pack ! Older clerks just scan it 3 more times.

Critical analysis people ! That is why I tend to favour older accountants...

Last edited by Groov-E; 06-07-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Competing against GC isn't that difficult. Sam Adato did for years. The first owner of Drum World (where I worked) did for years.

It's competing against the internet.

No, you can't get by selling $10K drum kits, particularly when some online shop will sell you the same drum kit for pennies on the dollar.

And manufacturers shoulder some blame.

Case in point:
My preferred drum stick a Zildjan Super 5A wood tip. Nothing too exotic.

Where can I go to buy a pair?

No where.

If I go into any local music store, be it a GC or Chad Sexton's (before they closed), or where ever, they don't have them in stock.

They do, however, have the latest 5 models of signature stick from those guys who's recently been on the cover of DRUM! magazine because they're the hottest names in drums among 14-24 years old drummers.

But I don't want a signature stick from the latest superstar, I just want a pair of super 5a wood tips.

Can't have 'em.

But Amazon does.

It's getting that way with cymbals too.

Want a basic 18" crash? Well, we have the new K extra dark super toasty crash, and this Sabain so-and-so signature crash, and this new Extra-sounds-good crash by such-and-such company. Great, how about a stack of basic 18" A, with a couple to choose the best from? No, don't stock that, there isn't enough room to carry those because we have this new 18" crash developed by the guy who had that hit youtube video last year.....

Last edited by DrumEatDrum; 06-08-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 PM

Our little city was lousy with music stores; Boyd's, Daryll's, Kimball's, Peterson's, Presto, and Advanced Music. Advanced is the only remaining shop. Burlington had an especially thriving scene (given our small population), especially in the 80s and 90s.

Boyd's was my favorite. Hanging out with Boyd in the 70s, as a kid, playing on a Ludwig Blue Tivoli kit? man, I was in heaven.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Competing against GC isn't that difficult. Sam Adato did for years. The first owner of Drum World (where I worked) did for years.

It's competing against the internet.

No, you can't get by selling $10K drum kits, particularly when someone line shop will sell you the same drum kit for pennies on the dollar.

And manufactuers shoudler some blame.

Case in point:
My preferred drum stick a Zildjan Super 5A wood tip. Nothing too exotic.

Where can I go to buy a pair?

No where.

If I go into any local music store, be it a GC or Chad Sexton's (before they closed), or where ever, they don't have them in stock.

They do, however, have the latest 5 models of signature stick from those guys who's recently been on the cover of DRUM! magazine because they're the hottest names in drums among 14-24 years old drummers.

But I don't want a signature stick from the latest superstar, I just want a pair of super 5a wood tips.

Can't have 'em.

But Amazon does.

It's getting that way with cymbals too.

Want a basic 18" crash? Well, we have the new K extra dark super toasty crash, and this Sabain so-and-so signature crash, and this new Extra-sounds-good crash by such-and-such company. Great, how about a stack of basic 18" A, with a couple to choose the best from? No, don't stock that, there isn't enough room to carry those because we have this new 18" crash developed by the guy whop had that hit youtube video last year.....

I feel you on sticks.

I use Vic Firth 1A American Classic's and there always seems to be a low availability of that model.

Each time I go to buy a pair or two I search the usual sites and nothing.

Have to rely on Amazon, who I really dislike for drum gear on the principle of giving money to a UK independent store as a priority (to be fair I've just checked again and Amazon only have two pairs in stock).

Maybe it's the model but finding those type of sticks are hard to come by from stores and I have to take my business elsewhere (very begrudgingly)
Old 06-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolwich View Post
I feel really lucky by comparison.
Within a 10-20 minute drive of my house I've got-
The Drum Shop in Washington Tyne and Wear. It's been going for years and moved to larger premises a few years back. Lots of stuff on display, great staff, a strong online presence which I think is essential as it becomes more difficult for 100% bricks and mortar shops to survive. The shop runs regular Sale Clubs at which really good gear is sold at ridiculously low prices, they've pulled me out of trouble several times without breaking the bank, a Paiste Alpha Crash and PST8 hi hats happily appeared at knockdown prices almost simultaneously as my own crash cymbal and hats developed cracks, a Natal aluminium snare was added to my armoury just before Christmas and scratched my itch for an aluminium drum at a reasonable price.
Newcastle Drum Centre. Like the above but on a smaller scale. The shop went out of business a couple of years back and was bought out by the Drum Shop since when it's thrived. I bought my most recent kit from them a year ago for 375 as opposed to a retail price of about 550.
Willy's Drum Shop. A tiny Alladin's Cave of second hand gems, essentials like sticks and skins and genuine collectables, not to mention always ready with a good story and time to chat. Not much brand new stuff there but the ability to buy sell and trade adds to the fun. A new "D" Case for my bass drum for 25 as opposed to more than double that on Amazon, a brand new PS3 bass drum skin for 15 (again less than half retail) and a selection of barely used 13" skins to experiment on my snare drum for a fiver a throw are recent highlights, not to mention the used 12" Black Panther snare drum that's still my "go to" snare after I think 6 years that could still pass for new.
Hi Woolwich.

You are a lucky man. I lived 20 miles away from the Newcastle Drum Shop for years and loved the place. Did it go out of business? The story I heard was that the lady who owned it retired and the staff obviously could not afford to buy it.

I have been in since it re opened and its not quite as good as the original. I was looking at cymbals in the original shop and one of the assistants came up and handed me a stick and said "Hit them, till you find one you like". What a refreshing outlook that was, Instead of the usual music shops that insist yuo do not touch anything.

We are moving back to the Geordie Delta later this year, so I look forward to proper drum shops again.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayTheSong View Post
In Ottawa, in the 70's, there was an awesome 2nd floor walk-up shop in the Byward Market called Drummers' Dream that sold only drums. To an aspiring teen drummer it was pure magic, filled with all the funky outrageousness that drum companies were putting out in the 70's. I don't think it survived far into the 80's, but I'd love to go back as see it as it was then.

Modern music stores seem devoid of imagination compared to that place.
Too bad I missed the place. Steve's Music on Rideau was the place to buy gear when I was starting out in the early 80's.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeby View Post
How does Dave's Drum Shop compare?
I, for one, really like Dave's.

Dave is a cool guy; never seems to tire of my dopey questions and gives me free cymbal felts and tuning keys from time to time.