DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:30 AM

Default "Laser-like" ringing!

I have a 6.5" Supraphonic with a clear Ambassador on top and a hazy on the snare side. I'm trying to get a timbale-like ring a la Carton Barrett (Bob Marley). I need tons of ring! I tuned the reso head to the snare pitch near the beginning of "Stir It Up" (though it's not ringy) and was able to crank the batter head high enough, but the ring I get sounds almost like a laser gun. Since all the lugs pretty closely match the others on that side, I'm guessing one of the sides it is too tight. I tried lowering the pitch on both sides independently, but I can't find a spot where the ring doesn't sound like a sci-fi laser effect! Any tips for a noob? Th
Old 06-09-2017, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: "Laser-like" ringing!

Loosen both heads and start over. Start with the reso side, tighten it up, really high, almost until you think the head could break. I mean high.
Turn drum over, tighten the batter to taste.
The wires - too loose you get buzz, too tight not enough snar-i-ness.

Most snare sound issues with new drummers start with them not tightening the reso head high enough. Don't be shy, you can really crank that head, it can take a lot.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:31 AM
Platinum Member

On my 6.5" BBeauty, Timbale begins at 3.5 turns (passed finger tight) on the bottom head and ~2.5 turns on the top head. I would imagine a Supra would be a close match. I'm known to run my reso a bit loose compared to most.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:58 AM

I like my 6.5 Supra for its dryness even without dampening, compared to other drums. To get loads of ring a 6.5 Supra might not be the right snare drum.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:44 AM

Thanks, guys! Carlton Barrett used both a standard and 6.5" depth Supra throughout his career with Marley, and the 1965 5" Supra I had simply couldn't achieve that high of a tone. Anyway...I'd overcranked and ripped 4 reso heads this month before being advised to simply tune it to the desired pitch.
The funny thing is that I had it sounding just right and then something seemed to change (heads stretch or screws loosened?) and I just *had* to go and try to fix it and now I can't seem to find that tone. :/
Back on the reso, I do notice that I currently have the Hazy tuned pretty far below the batter, so I might give it another turn or two and see if the ring comes back.

Cheers,
I.M.
Austin, TX
Old 06-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

What heads you using? A "dead" head will choke a drum quick.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:55 PM

I've got a new clear Ambassador on top and a new Hazy on the snare side.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

A sound file or video would help immensely. I've never heard a laser gun. I can't believe you broke 4 reso heads. Hopefully you tightened down lugs in sequence, and not full turns all on one lug.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:57 AM

Victory! I took Open Tune's suggestion and completely detuned and started over. After over tightening the snare side and getting the laser sound again, I lowered it and BAM! Perfection. Now she sounds like this one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c7-VzJGSmpU

Cheers!