DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:03 AM

Default What are the house kits like in your town?

This might seem like a weird question, but I've always believed that it makes sense to practice on the same kind of set up that you will play on (a-duh). OK, right, so what is the question? Well, in NYC, where I live, the clubs where I perform around town have 4 piece kits. So, what about in the rest of the USA? Or around the world? At the club level, I'm wondering about the house kits where all of you other drummers live--are they 4 piece kits? My guess would be that they are, but I thought it was worth asking.
Thanks for your insights....
Mark F

My Band: LEVEL5 : New Fusion w/ Oz Noy
Old 05-31-2017, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What are the house kits like in your town?

They are mostly very cheap, very poorly tuned 5 piece kits in my area. The sizes are generally 12, 13, 16, with a 22 inch bass. Cymbals are ZBTs and B8s. There are a couple exceptions, but that's the rule.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:54 PM

Usually a knackered old kit kept together with duck tape, 4 piece and usually with horrid stands you dont want to put your cymbals on and dont adjust to get in the right places. I am thinking about getting a cheap gigging kit that i wont mind other bands using so i know it will be easier for everyone to use
Old 05-31-2017, 01:38 PM
Gold Member

The only venue I regularly play in has an 80's Ludwig maple 4pce. with big power toms and the triangular 'modular' tom mounts. 12/16/22 plus two choices of snare - Supraphonic 6.5" or Dynasonic 5"

Nice kit, projects well. Much bigger/taller than I'd normally use in this venue, but it's there, it's free and it works. I usually bring my snare though.

Its not your typical venue - the pub owners are musos, so they've equipped the stage with nice instruments and amps, also a nice PA, lights, etc. I can turn up to a gig 15 minutes before the start and still have plenty of time spare.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:36 PM

The two local MAIN Jazz clubs have a 4 piece set (here - VIDEO - Iīm PLAYING one of them) they are of good quality, other places donīt usually have any. One of those 2 clubs used to have decent cymbals too, but I think it changed owner and the cymbals are not any longer included!

VIDEO (me playing at the local club with the house kit): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t0XzNlIdu8
Old 05-31-2017, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

The place I've been playing at the most frequently has a Pearl export 20, 10, 12, 14 in power tom sizes and with a suspended floor tom. Depending on what the situation is I'll convert it to a 20, 12, 14 4 piece kit as i find that more comfortable (better ride placement).THe cymbals provided are a vintage set of 14 in Zildjian A hi-hats, 18 in K dark crash (amazing cymbal) 20 A Ping ride ( good cymbal but a bitch and a half to control in the club setting. It's a thicker one, I've played thinner ones that were way easier to control) and a 16 in Paiste 1000 crash (one of the worst cymbals ever made) I don't like the suspended floor tom but the steel snare is adequate. Other places have 4 piece kits that could use some TLC and a bunch of replacement parts starting with new heads. For some reason they tend to be 22,12,16 kits that obviously started out as 22 12 13 16 kits. If i had decided which tom to jettison i'd have gotten rid of the 12 but that's just me. I almost never play my own kits at shows. Always bring your own snare pedal and cymbals.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:00 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Even if they are technically a good kit, they aren't usually good sounding.

I sometimes play a room that has a non maintained Ludwig Rockers kit there. I would rather haul my kit up the incredibly steep stairs than use the house kit.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Many bands around here just do their practicing in a rehearsal studio.
The kits in those studios are awful. Dreadful might be a better way to describe them. I've stopped looking for bands based on if they want me to practice with them using one of those kits in a rehearsal studio. I won't practice on one of those kits anymore. They suck major a$$.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Most house kits where I live are 4-pieces, and made of tape. Somewhere under the tape are poorly treated drums and damaged hardware.

All these jams/ clubs, they should have a little box next to the drum kit. Every drummer who goes up to use the kit, puts a dollar in. After awhile they have enough $$ to at least afford nicer heads on the kit.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

There are zero house kits here. Why? Because everyone plays bluegrass.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member

In Portland and Seattle I see a lot of Catalina Clubs-- 12/14/18.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Throughout the Pacific Northwest I see a lot of Catalina Clubs-- 12/14/18.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:13 PM

No house kits anywhere I play, which is fine with me considering the condition of a typical set.
The only times I've used a set someone else provided have been at a couple of festivals where the sound company brought in modern Yamaha Stage Customs with good heads on them.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:24 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Not too many house kits in L.A., mostly because parking/load-in is pretty easy everywhere and drummers are used to hauling their own drums in their car. But there are some venues that provide drums to help cut down changeover time between bands and maintain fairly close p.a. settings, or in a small chain of clubs/theaters, DW has provided drums for the bands opening for national acts. Headliners are welcome to use the kit as well.

So the handful of kits in town varies, I think all are 4 & 5pc though. Drummers can sometimes just brings their sticks, but more often, they're encouraged or required to bring their cymbals, snare, sometimes a pedal, and I recall one place having to bring my throne! Some kits aren't maintained very well, and for one regular gig I do, I supply fresh heads and hardware as needed for their '80s Rogers kit. But in general, they sound good to great, and in situations where I have the option, I definitely prefer the ease of using the house kit.

Bermuda
Old 06-02-2017, 06:52 AM
Gold Member

I have a kit provided exactly three times here in Southern California. All three times were for easy changeover in multi-band gigs. They were all nice kits. First time was a Gretsch Renown. Second time was a Gretsch Catalina. The last time was a gig at the Fender Museum in Corona where I got to play this kit:

It was donated to the museum by Curt Bisquera.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:26 PM

I've never used a house kit for a gig in over 30yrs of playing (based in northern England) and just into 4 figures of gigs.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:39 PM

around here, if there is one, it's pretty much a pearl export from the 80's that looks like it was found on the side of the road somewhere. Most of the wingnuts for adjustment have been replaced at some point with bolts.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

No actual clubs around here, but the stuff in official buildings, churche and so on is pretty good. Yamaha and Sonor, the cheapest is a Stage Custom, but the other ones are higher up. Constantinople or K cymbals. Yamaha hardware.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Here in the bay area, it's pretty common for a venue to have it's own kit and for all the bands to use it. Even more common that we just have one guy setup his and all use that except for breakables.

On average, I see maybe 65-70% 4 piece kits and the rest are 5s. Surprisingly, most of them are not in all that bad of shape. They don't sound stellar on their own, but are typically mic-ed up and sound good out in the audience.

I think most of the reason I see smaller 4 piece house kits more is that space in some of these venue stages is really at premium. Pair that with the fact that it's difficult to park anywhere near some of them downtown and having a house kit already setup starts to look like the only viable option. There's enough bands around here that venues don't have to cater to drummers that "need" huge racks full of 8 toms.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:53 PM

In DC I can think of two house kits - but they also may just happen to be there when I am there. Blues Alley is a Yamaha Absolute Hydrid and Hill Country BBQ has a Yamaha (not sure if its a Stage Custom or a higher-end model because I've never been close enough to see it and have never heard it played).
Old 06-02-2017, 09:53 PM

I haven't had a house kit for quite a while.

Here in the UK it is expected that each band brings its own drum kit or the band playing last allows the bands playing earlier to use their kit.

I played in Oxford last night- I provided a Yamaha stage custom for the other bands to use.
They brought their own cymbals, snare and throne.
It works well- although I make sure I tell the drummers not to over-tighten any bolts.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

In London it's a bit hit or miss.

Most I'd say are Pearl Exports and that kind of level, the heads are normally in fairly good shape. Have played some real horror kits in some venues though with dead heads and knakered hardware falling apart mid set.

Ronnie Scott's has a couple of recent Yamaha Recording Customs but that's the exception to the norm in the city. Not many venues take great care of the house kits but that's the same in any big cities I'm sure.

Most venues do have a kit though. Very rare you have to take your own.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Not too many house kits in L.A., mostly because parking/load-in is pretty easy everywhere and drummers are used to hauling their own drums in their car. But there are some venues that provide drums to help cut down changeover time between bands and maintain fairly close p.a. settings, or in a small chain of clubs/theaters, DW has provided drums for the bands opening for national acts. Headliners are welcome to use the kit as well.

So the handful of kits in town varies, I think all are 4 & 5pc though. Drummers can sometimes just brings their sticks, but more often, they're encouraged or required to bring their cymbals, snare, sometimes a pedal, and I recall one place having to bring my throne! Some kits aren't maintained very well, and for one regular gig I do, I supply fresh heads and hardware as needed for their '80s Rogers kit. But in general, they sound good to great, and in situations where I have the option, I definitely prefer the ease of using the house kit.

Bermuda
Where are you playing??

All the Hollywood venues have backline kits, and most of them are crap. DW or PDP that was good at some point, but not well taken care of, and haven't had a head change in two years.

A few larger places like Canyon Club and The Rose have a nice DW that only a national headliner can use, and a half falling apart PDP with busted heads they make everyone else use.

Most places are just 4pc kits setup but some of them do have at least two extra toms if requested ahead of time.

The places without backline are a HUGE hassle to load in and out of, and the majority of the time you have set up in the parking lot.
YouTube
Old 06-06-2017, 03:55 AM

No house kits in the little town of West Monroe, La.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:05 AM

It's been a few years, but I remember seeing Mapex kits in nearly every bar/venue up and down Broadway in downtown Nashville, TN. I'd say at the time that around 75-80% of the kits I saw were Mapex 4 or 5 piece. Things may have changed, but the proliferation of Mapex made a longer lasting impact than all the good music (and BBQ) did.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:16 PM

Can't say there are ANY in my area.