DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:32 AM

Default Wish i still had it!

Drummers get emotional over certain drums, cymbals, etc, and when they [we] sell something we wish we hadn,t, we say "I could kick myself for selling that"
I,ve noticed most times it takes a while to make that conclusion.

What happened to make YOU say; I wish I still had it, them, those, etc?
Old 06-02-2017, 04:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wish i still had it!

Hair!

Rock hard abs!!

Oh you mean drums?

Nah, I've managed to keep anything overly meaningful or sentimental over the years. As far as musical gear is concerned, if I've flogged it, I can pretty much say I've been happy to let it go.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

Several months ago I gave away some cymbals and my Ludwig Acrolite snare drum - a good thing to do! However, I miss my Acrolite and wish I still had it. To be honest, I really didn't play the drum that much, but after I gave it away I later realized how emotionally tied I was to to the drum.

Look before you leap!
Old 06-02-2017, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

Ludwig Super Sensitive snare drum. It sounded amazing, but I couldn't afford to replace the special snare wires for it. Back then they were something like $60. Now Ludwig doesn't make that snare anymore. How could they be so stupid? That thing was perfect.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:02 AM
Administrator - Mayor

My complete set of Masterworks Jazz Series cymbals. A great ride, two nice crashes and a set of hats. i do still have the hats, 13 inch

Last edited by GruntersDad; 06-02-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:33 AM
Gold Member

I wish I still had my mojo.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

This is why I almost never sell drum items.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

The only one I really regret is my first kit, I think. It was a Rogers 4 piece in the white marine pearl.

I didn't sell it myself. I moved on and got a lower quality kit because I could afford more drums - stupid teen move. Anyway, I left that kit in my mom's basement for many years, and when I finally realized the value of it I asked her if it was still there. She said no, she'd had an auction company go through everything in storage and it was gone.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 AM

Interesting; my boner move was also a 4 pc Rogers 60,s WMP kit!!..I guess drummers aren,t the sharpest knife in the drawer!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonormapex View Post
Interesting; my boner move was also a 4 pc Rogers 60,s WMP kit!!..I guess drummers aren,t the sharpest knife in the drawer!
At least some of us. DOH!
Old 06-02-2017, 07:53 AM
Gold Member

Wow! We must be related. My boneheaded move was dumping my blue pearl 5pc Rogers set for a Tama Imperialstar 80s rocker kit with concert toms. I sure thought I looked cool, but those Old Rogers were ten times better. Just didn't know it at the time.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
Wow! We must be related. My boneheaded move was dumping my blue pearl 5pc Rogers set for a Tama Imperialstar 80s rocker kit with concert toms. I sure thought I looked cool, but those Old Rogers were ten times better. Just didn't know it at the time.
Yeah, concert toms were my downfall, too. I think it was about 1978 or 79, lol.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

I'm quite sanguine about gear nowadays.
I lusted after a Premier Heavy Rock 9 snare drum for years, finally got one, it was a thing of beauty, but it was a big clangy beast. Perhaps it was me at fault, perhaps it was the drum but I sold it on and only felt a small degree of regret. That regret has totally gone and the fact I sold it at a good price was the icing on the cake.
All of the gear I've sold has had good and bad about it and while things like my original Zildjian Z cymbals might still be getting used today if I'd kept them, equally I might have sold them on as they were great for my Metal band but not in keeping with what I play now.
I'm also sitting now at a point where my current kit is "better" than anything else I've owned so I can't look back and think "that was better, I wish I'd kept it", not the case when I traded my Sonor Force 3005 for a Mapex Saturn with no bass drum Tom mounts and a 20" deep bass drum. Yes the Mapex was a better kit both on paper and in reality (the toms all sang) but the shortcomings had me hankering for my Sonor and I ultimately sold the Mapex on because of them.

For the last few months I've been selling my AC/DC and assorted memorabilia on eBay. There are Tour Programmes and magazines I bought nearly 40 years that I've kept because of that emotional attachment. But once I committed to selling them I realised that they'd been sat in boxes for many many years and I'm not actually attached to them any more. The money I've raised has pretty much paid for my new kit and it's all gone to buyers who WILL appreciate the things they've bought so it's a win/win.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

1980s Tama Superstar in Tobacco fade.

It was a perfect gigging kit and I part ex-ed it for a kit I later sold when I got my Luddy.

Other than that I haven't really regretted getting rid of anything.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

No drum stuff as I was a wise old man even before I took up that instrument. lol

During illness when in school and having no energy to work I had to let most of my guitars go though and wish I sill had those.

Tyler Burning Water
Fender 50th Anniverary strat
Ibanez GB-20
Old 06-02-2017, 02:02 PM
JohnoWorld

Rototoms - because I always come back to them and the prices are now just ridiculous

DW Collectors snare - black on black, Keller shell, 14 x 5 maple - a fooking peach of a drum, unique sound

Mapex Black Panther snare 13 x 7 maple - a firecracker of a drum and a unique size (at the time) which just made everyone sit up and take notice. Only used it for the odd fill and the whole of 1 song but man it kicked @ss

My entire set of Zildjian A-Customs - I only kept my fave the 15" but I really miss the 16 and 18" crashes

My Zildjian K-custom ride, I really miss that at this moment in particular

My Pearl monster boom arms with huge weights on them. The ultimate heavy metal \m/

GLAD I GOT RID:

Arbiter Snare - fibreglass crap but cranked and it blew everyones head off
Paiste Rude cymbals - harsh as hell
Mapex Orion - nice kit, just not in the same league at the time as other high-end manufacturers (this was about 2004)
Pearl BRX/MMX - annoying tom holders, really really annoying
Kevlar snare head - kept crushing the bearing edges I cranked it and battered it so hard - only old shit snares like the Premier XPK so it didn't really matter
Oak sticks - OK for a bit but now useless
Old 06-02-2017, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

The only drum-related thing I ended up regretting getting rid of is my old Tama Rockstars, but I ended up getting them back! Here's the story from a thread I posted on another messageboard about three years ago:

Long story short: I started playing drums in 1993, bought my first "real" drum kit, a set of Tama Rockstars, and played the cr@p out of it for about 10 years. I was in a few bands, played several hundred shows, traveled about as far as our cars would let us, did some recording, etc. Well, I always promised one of my friends in the band that if I ever got a pro-level drum kit, I'd give him my Rockstars. In 2003, I kept my promise. I got my Pork Pie kit, so I took my Rockstars to his house, and it was an absolute joy to give them away. I think I was happier giving my old drums to him than I was to get my Pie's.

Fast forward to this past Sunday. I get a random Facebook message asking me if I wanted the set back. He said that he has a couple more kits he has access to, and he thought they belonged back with me. I said, "Sure!" and I picked them up on my way home from work last night.

All in all, it's a 6-piece kit:
22"x16" kick
14" x 5.5"(?) snare
12" x 10" rack tom
16" x 16" floor tom

(Not shown)
8" x 6" rack tom
10" x 8" rack tom

After we FINALLY got the kids in bed last night, I went down last night, sat on the couch, and just stared at them for probably a solid 20 minutes. I couldn't believe that they were actually back in my house. I was surprised how well they cleaned up. I'm hoping at least one of the kids takes up drumming. It would be really cool for them to learn on the same set that I learned on.

It feels so good having my old friend home again.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
if I've flogged it, I can pretty much say I've been happy to let it go.
If only we had that attitude here in the states prior to the Civil war...
Old 06-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

I regret trading in several cymbals:

Sabian 20 " AA El Sabor ride
Sabian 16" AAX Dark Crash
Sabian 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride

Peace and goodwill.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

some earlier uneducated moves, sold my:
60's pre-serial Paiste 602 ride cymbal
Zildjian pre-aged K ride
Paiste Twenty 17 crash
I should have hoarded more cymbals years ago.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

My first drumset, bought about 1986, was a somewhat distressed "Westwood" Japanese stencil set (part of the Star lineup). It wasn't anything special at all. But it came with a blue deco Ludwig Pioneer snare dated 1963. That snare was so incredible and sweet, even for only having six lugs. I sold it some eleven or twelve years later when I was down on my luck; worst decision I ever made. Getting another one is on my bucket list.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

out of all the gear I let go, it's my Pearl brass free floater snare drum. It was my only snare for almost 20 years, and in the last while, I picked up a couple snazzy snares, and I knew it wouldn't get used much and moved it on. But it had history and mojo, and I miss the old warrior.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Cool thread, loving all the responses! Don't listen to the naysayers Sonormapex, starting new threads is a good thing!

My greatest regret is selling my 90s 22" K Heavy Ride. That thing defined my whole recording career. It's on basically every record and demo I did between '97 and '14 when I stupidly sold it because I was going through a "crashable ride" period... Beautiful cymbal, best 'ping' I ever heard...

I could try and find a new one used, but it still wouldn't be the one I "grew up" with. *sad face*
Old 06-02-2017, 11:09 PM

HHX Legacy 14" hats, 20" ride, 17" crash

Yellow sparkle fade Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Nouveau, 5x13, 8x10,8x12,12x14,16x20.

Color/sizes on the Yamaha kit is virtually impossible to find, but the price i received for all of these has doubled, at a minimum.

tracer

Always another deal out there somewhere though...
Old 06-02-2017, 11:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Late 70's Tama Bell Brass, only because I could have sold it now for 6x what I bought it for (500). I don't miss it.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
The only drum-related thing I ended up regretting getting rid of is my old Tama Rockstars, but I ended up getting them back! Here's the story from a thread I posted on another messageboard about three years ago:

Long story short: I started playing drums in 1993, bought my first "real" drum kit, a set of Tama Rockstars, and played the cr@p out of it for about 10 years. I was in a few bands, played several hundred shows, traveled about as far as our cars would let us, did some recording, etc. Well, I always promised one of my friends in the band that if I ever got a pro-level drum kit, I'd give him my Rockstars. In 2003, I kept my promise. I got my Pork Pie kit, so I took my Rockstars to his house, and it was an absolute joy to give them away. I think I was happier giving my old drums to him than I was to get my Pie's.

Fast forward to this past Sunday. I get a random Facebook message asking me if I wanted the set back. He said that he has a couple more kits he has access to, and he thought they belonged back with me. I said, "Sure!" and I picked them up on my way home from work last night.

All in all, it's a 6-piece kit:
22"x16" kick
14" x 5.5"(?) snare
12" x 10" rack tom
16" x 16" floor tom

(Not shown)
8" x 6" rack tom
10" x 8" rack tom

After we FINALLY got the kids in bed last night, I went down last night, sat on the couch, and just stared at them for probably a solid 20 minutes. I couldn't believe that they were actually back in my house. I was surprised how well they cleaned up. I'm hoping at least one of the kids takes up drumming. It would be really cool for them to learn on the same set that I learned on.

It feels so good having my old friend home again.

In my opinion, wrapped 90's rockstar kits are among the best out there. I've liked every one I sat down at. And I also own a 90's blue wrap rockstar kit with the groovy "accutune" hoops.

I still use the stupid steel snare from that kit and I'm constantly swapping it back and forth with the new black beauty from Larry... That's how fond I am of it.

I also really liked a later 80's "swingstar" set that had the funky Zola coating on the inside of the drums. TBH, it didn't really sound stellar, but I was very fond of the kit and wish I still had it.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:11 AM

A Gretsch gold sparkle kit with an incredible sounding brass snare drum.

Stolen along with the whole rig from our band's van while we slept at a friend's house after a club gig in Manchester, UK in 1992.

The following week we had a residency at a blues club in Hamburg, Germany, lined up, which would have been great fun!

We never made because we had no gear and broke up.

Bastards!
Old 06-03-2017, 03:27 AM
Ghostnote

Brass Dynasonic
5×13 maple Dave Weckl snare
19" and 20" Pre Aged K's
60's 14" New Beats
20" 2002 Crash
20" Giant Beat Multi
15" Giant Beat hats

I could go on...
Old 06-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

Ludwig LM300 snare. Basically a steel Supra. I got rid of it cause it was very similar to my Tama snare at the time. Stupid move but i forgive myself because one never makes the best decisions at 14 years of age. Now at 30 i'm trying to find the closest equivalent on the market since the LM300 has been discontinued.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

Kind of wish I'd have kept it would be the Gretsch Renown 57 kit I just sold. It was my 3rd kit at the time. I was able to make a quick couple hundred on it. That bass drum low tone was to die for. I'll get another Renown some day. :)
Old 06-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Ghostnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post
Ludwig LM300 snare. Basically a steel Supra. I got rid of it cause it was very similar to my Tama snare at the time. Stupid move but i forgive myself because one never makes the best decisions at 14 years of age. Now at 30 i'm trying to find the closest equivalent on the market since the LM300 has been discontinued.
Yeah, those are nice. Chris Blackwell recorded the whole Now And Zen album with one of those.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

First snare drum-early stop sign badge Gretsch chrome over ? When I got my Rogers Powertone the Gretsch became a "timbale" and was eventually lost in time...

Also-

The original mufflers from my Rogers Holiday kit and aforementioned Powertone. Some genius told me "you should take those off, they just add weight". Again, lost in time...

The original reso hoops from those same Holiday toms. Because, well, you know that in 1979 "NOBODY uses resonant heads..." Probably the same genius as above. I still cringe when I ride by the guitarist's house where I know I left them after I quit the band....like 30 years ago.

And lastly the original Swivo-matic foot pedal (the model with the adjustable length foot board no less!!!), two swan leg cymbal stands, and a Rogers snare stand.

Other than that? Not too much else I really miss or need today...

I am *very* thankful I still have the Red Oynx Rogers kit my dad bought me in 1977 that was made up of: 12" Dayton Tower, 13" Dayton Holiday (with "Tower" crossed out), 16" early Fullerton Holiday, and a 24" early Fullerton Powertone bass drum. That kit came with a Cleveland COB Powertone snare. Must have been made up from pieces carried to California I guess...