DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 05-26-2017, 11:36 AM

Default Ian Paice snare sounds

Hi guys! I like the big Supra sounds in the solo "Mule" "Made in Japan" album.Its very tight like a bank.This sound very similar to the sound a Supra 5x14 in the song "Flight of the rat".But I didn't set up the way he did.

1)What a drumheads he use? Ambassadors,Emperors or stock Ludwig heads?

2)What a model? COB or Ludalloy?

Sorry my bad English,but I can't find this information.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Ghostnote

Default Re: Ian Paice snare sounds

If you want the Ian Paice snare sound, put a coated ambassador batter on a 6.514 steel (not stainless) snare drum and crank it up fairly, but not table top, tight and add a bit of muffling. Snare side head should be really tight as well as the snare tension- nice and crisp, but not past the point of choking the snares.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:45 PM
Gold Member

It's the ye olde supraphonic. He used a 400 and a 402 between 68-76 in Deep Purple, not sure when he left Ludwig and went to the dark side. Obviously he has the steel signature from Pearl now.

Probably Ambassador/Emp coated, ambassador snare side. Tune the snare higher than you would for a Bonham snare sound and there you go.

Don't think he messed about with dampening live in those days, those Luddies sound wide open. In the studio definitely.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
It's the ye olde supraphonic. He used a 400 and a 402 between 68-76 in Deep Purple, not sure when he left Ludwig and went to the dark side. Obviously he has the steel signature from Pearl now.

Probably Ambassador/Emp coated, ambassador snare side. Tune the snare higher than you would for a Bonham snare sound and there you go.

Don't think he messed about with dampening live in those days, those Luddies sound wide open. In the studio definitely.

Thanks but I already thought.I need exactly information.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
If you want the Ian Paice snare sound, put a coated ambassador batter on a 6.514 steel (not stainless) snare drum and crank it up fairly, but not table top, tight and add a bit of muffling. Snare side head should be really tight as well as the snare tension- nice and crisp, but not past the point of choking the snares.

I like the classic Ian Paice snare sounds."Ian Paice signature steel snare"-its a modern sound.