DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Silver Member

Default Been a tough month but things are looking up !!

Last week I had what's called an EVAR stent-graft to repair 3 aneurysms ( 1 abdominal aortic, 2 in lower iliac arteries ). While the procedure went well ( 4 hours +) I'm pretty beat up. The bruising in my core area is remarkable. I've never seen shades of purple like that !!

I had a kidney stone on Easter sunday and during CT scan they found the three aneurysms. Two were well over 5cm. The kidney stone probably saved my life in the long run. Currently in the recovery phase. I can drive as of today. Can't do any flying or drumming until at least a week from today.

Just an FYI: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms ( AAA) are asymptomatic. They call them the silent killer and are extremely hereditary. My Mom had one in her 80's. If someone in your family has had one or passed away from one. GET CHECKED OUT!

Here's a link to the Mayo Clinic which explains casues, risks, treatment options etc.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/dxc-20197861

Cheers,
Todd
Old 05-25-2017, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Been a tough month but things are looking up !!

Wishing you a trouble-free recovery! Glad you're were discovered in time.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

All the best to you, Todd. Here's to a complete recovery!
Old 05-25-2017, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Take care of yourself, TW. Glad to hear you're on the mend.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Administrator - Mayor

With the new name change, you are on your way. Good luck
Old 05-25-2017, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
With the new name change, you are on your way. Good luck
Thanks guys. Having some real mortality issues hanging over one's head tends refocus one's priorities and keep things real. Hopefully some of the membership will take the time read about AAA at the above link in the OP. Takes about 2-3 minutes.

Bless you all and practice an extra ten minutes for me this week. It's killing me to sit and LOOK at my drums. :-)
Old 05-25-2017, 06:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Weaves View Post
They call them the silent killer and are extremely hereditary. My Mom had one in her 80's. If someone in your family has had one or passed away from one. GET CHECKED OUT!
Boy, don't I know it. My grandfather died the day after his 61st birthday, my uncle (his son) lasted to age 79 and my mother made it to 70. She had the abdominal fixed when she was about 60 and had her aortic arch repaired when she was about 63. The arch repair failed just after she checked in at the Univ. of Michigan cardiac unit. Her doctor knew it was leaking and had her life-flighted to Ann Arbor, MI - she was scheduled for surgery early the next morning.

Apparently, the aneurysm gene passed me by (I've been checked annually for some time now), instead, I got the cancer gene from my father's side. I've been in remission for 10 years now. My oncologist won't call it a cure! ;-)
Old 05-26-2017, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Boy, don't I know it. My grandfather died the day after his 61st birthday, my uncle (his son) lasted to age 79 and my mother made it to 70. She had the abdominal fixed when she was about 60 and had her aortic arch repaired when she was about 63. The arch repair failed just after she checked in at the Univ. of Michigan cardiac unit. Her doctor knew it was leaking and had her life-flighted to Ann Arbor, MI - she was scheduled for surgery early the next morning.

Apparently, the aneurysm gene passed me by (I've been checked annually for some time now), instead, I got the cancer gene from my father's side. I've been in remission for 10 years now. My oncologist won't call it a cure! ;-)
Congrats on your lengthy remission !! Doctors generally don't like to promise too much. During my pre-op consultation I asked the Dr what my chances would be if I did nothing. He said a 90% chance of mortality within 2 years. He also said if AAA's rupture, only 50% make it to the hospital alive. Of those 50%, only 25% survive long enough to get into surgery. Bottom line is, you blow that gasket we're talking Rock and Roll Heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjQPX_aOYj0