DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-21-2017, 08:52 PM
Drumlove65 Drumlove65 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 243
Default Unexpected source of inspiration

I was watching a documentary yesterday on a Russian ballet company. While a good portion of the documentary concerned the inside politics of the ballet company what impressed me was the physical discipline and determination each dancer must endure to become a member of the company.

I'm certain successful drummers must perform under all manner of impediments, physical and mental but those dancers truly give meaning by their dedicated example to the dictum, 'the show must go on'.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Push pull stroke Push pull stroke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 1,504
Default Re: Unexpected source of inspiration

Ballet is extremely bad for your joints. No way are my kids doing it. That's too much dedication to the art, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2017, 10:26 PM
mikel mikel is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midlands. England.
Posts: 2,265
Default Re: Unexpected source of inspiration

My ex wife was a ballet dancer, went to the Royal Ballet School for two years before being injured out. Its a brutal way to earn a living, but beautiful to watch. They are real athletes.

My girls both went to ballet lessons from a young age, and gave it up when other interests came along. All girls should do some ballet when young, it teaches deportment and a sense of discipline. You can tell women who did ballet, they carry themselves with natural grace. Nowt to do with drumming though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Drumlove65 Drumlove65 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 243
Default Re: Unexpected source of inspiration

I think there are analogies to drumming; we're taught to hold the sticks in a certain way whether traditional or matched; to execute successful rudiments there are formalized methods for hitting the drum, making certain the wrists are turned at just the right angle; our posture and on and on. I'm interested to read what other drummers have to say about the 'performance' aspect of playing in a live setting.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2017, 01:06 AM
Hollywood Jim's Avatar
Hollywood Jim Hollywood Jim is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 3,722
Default Re: Unexpected source of inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumlove65 View Post
I think there are analogies to drumming; we're taught to hold the sticks in a certain way whether traditional or matched; to execute successful rudiments there are formalized methods for hitting the drum, making certain the wrists are turned at just the right angle; our posture and on and on. I'm interested to read what other drummers have to say about the 'performance' aspect of playing in a live setting.
I think from the time when you first begin to play any musical instrument, including drums, it takes a long time (several years) to feel comfortable playing in a live setting. Do you remember how it felt to play at your first recital? Total fear. So much so that it almost keeps you from playing. I remember watching some people totally fail their first few times because of the fear.

I remember when I first started playing drums live with a band (at age 11). All of the things I learned to do when I play were rolling around in my head; how to hold the sticks, proper technique, keeping time with the bass drum and hi hat, etc. Worrying about my technique and/or dropping a stick was so intense I could hardly concentrate on playing the song. After a few times it got easier. But still even after a couple of years playing live, the fear of making a mistake was still there. As I said it takes several years to feel comfortable.

Now 56 years later I never give it a thought, except, I still marvel at the ability and talent I have. Before each performance I sit behind the drums thinking; how is it that I can play the drums without practicing and without thinking about what Iím doing? Will I be able to play tonight? Why does it happen so automatically?


.
__________________
"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable." - Beethoven
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2017, 02:04 AM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,685
Default Re: Unexpected source of inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
You can tell women who did ballet, they carry themselves with natural grace.
in a general sense... I've always found that people that study any physical art will generally carry themselves in a much different manner than someone that has not. It doesn't matter whether it's Tai chi, ballet, skateboarding, breakdancing, tumbling, figure-skating, etc, it's all just different flavors of the same ole ice-cream.

I feel the same about the applied martial arts.. When you see see two humans fight, and only one of them has 'any' form of MA training, the difference is ridiculously apparent.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2017, 02:10 AM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,186
Default Re: Unexpected source of inspiration

I saw a presentation of the Takio Drummers , from Japan, here once and they are members of the troop for 2 years before they ever see a stage. If they earn the two year stay. I magine a 2 year audition to play drums.
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-22-2017, 10:30 AM
mikel mikel is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midlands. England.
Posts: 2,265
Default Re: Unexpected source of inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
I think from the time when you first begin to play any musical instrument, including drums, it takes a long time (several years) to feel comfortable playing in a live setting. Do you remember how it felt to play at your first recital? Total fear. So much so that it almost keeps you from playing. I remember watching some people totally fail their first few times because of the fear.

I remember when I first started playing drums live with a band (at age 11). All of the things I learned to do when I play were rolling around in my head; how to hold the sticks, proper technique, keeping time with the bass drum and hi hat, etc. Worrying about my technique and/or dropping a stick was so intense I could hardly concentrate on playing the song. After a few times it got easier. But still even after a couple of years playing live, the fear of making a mistake was still there. As I said it takes several years to feel comfortable.

Now 56 years later I never give it a thought, except, I still marvel at the ability and talent I have. Before each performance I sit behind the drums thinking; how is it that I can play the drums without practicing and without thinking about what Iím doing? Will I be able to play tonight? Why does it happen so automatically?


.
I was completely different,everything felt natural and easy probably because I never had a lesson so I played naturally and everything felt easy and exciting. I never had that feeling that I should be doing this, or that, or I should be holding the sticks like that.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com