DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:28 AM

Default What made you want to play drums ?

For me it's while listening to my favorite punk rock bands and listening to what was happening on the drums.

Songs like Poison Heart and Pet sematary from The ramones. 45 grave Party time (Zombie version) - Misfits,the cramps,tall boys with their song "Take A Walk" and many other.

Also my idol Nicko McBrian from Iron Maiden my favorite metal band. I also like the beat of the song "Alone in the night" from the metal band Leatherwolf.

I also like Men at work and Creedence Clearwater Revival,Led zeppelin
Old 05-01-2017, 06:25 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: What made you want to play drums ?

Ringo!!! (Showing my age here)
Old 05-01-2017, 06:53 AM

Hi Isits. I like Ringo and the beatles too. I head that Ringo is the highest paid drummer in the world.

As far as showing your age. Beatlemania is pretty much still alive today. Young and old alike are into the beatles.

Have you seen the lastest movie/documentary about when they were touring ? Pretty crazy stuff.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member

My blood ran thick with the bug right from birth. For years leading up to when I got seriously involved with drumming, I played on whatever I could get my hands on. Rubbermaid and Tupperware tubs, cans and canisters, buckets and pails, you name it. For drumsticks I used heavy knitting needles at the start, even recorders spun around. :)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:27 AM
Gold Member

Our 6th-grade band director required any percussionist to have had at least a couple years of piano lessons, and since only me and 1 other person actually had taken piano for long enough, I thought I'd play percussion. Stupidest reason ever, I could have played trumpet/flute/clarinet/sax and had an easier life. Especially sax. LOL oh well.

I started playing set during/after college to make money doing musical theatre pit work. I never took my set playing seriously AT ALL until the last year or so. Now I've started doing actual coordination and foot speed exercises, and I'm enjoying it.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Matt Bo Eder

The girls. Obviously.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

I wanted to hang around with musicians.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Gold Member

From the outset i could recognise the immediate benefits of being a social outcast! the girls the money and the prestige of hanging around with musicians. Why wouldn't you? oh yeah and you get to belt stuff.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:27 PM

There were records of Max Roach, Charlie Persip (with DizzyĻs Big Band), Dave Bailey, Louis Hayes, etc., and all the drummers of the time since I was born...(50īs) at my house (tons of them) and also all the brazilian drummers... I wanted to be in their company! Thatīs why I wanted to play drums.

This music interested me since Iīm very little, thatīs why when I went to the houses of other kids I was very surprised that noone had jazz records, I thought that was really wierd... (Iīm talking already 3-4 years old).

At 5 my grandmother presented me a kid set, but you couldnīt play with it really (those days were really bad made), was just a toy to disregard in less than a week. Until I was 13 I coudnīt start, Iīve bought myself a set that for todayīs standars would be worst than a kidīs set. But with that one I could play, and that was the start!

Last edited by Alex Sanguinetti; 05-01-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
My blood ran thick with the bug right from birth. For years leading up to when I got seriously involved with drumming, I played on whatever I could get my hands on. Rubbermaid and Tupperware tubs, cans and canisters, buckets and pails, you name it. For drumsticks I used heavy knitting needles at the start, even recorders spun around. :)
Cool that is what Lars Ulrich used to do too. I guess i'm one of the only on here that started late. I walked right away to a drum set. they started to show me simple beats like a waltz.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I wanted to hang around with musicians.
That's a really good reason. I've only been able to play with really little musicians. I'm not good enough to be in a band yet.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bast1981 View Post
Cool that is what Lars Ulrich used to do too. I guess i'm one of the only on here that started late. I walked right away to a drum set. they started to show me simple beats like a waltz.
Better late than never. :)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:14 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I was born this way. Curiously, I never went through the hitting of the pots and pans with knitting needles and....recorders? phase. Hey OK.

I never considered the social perks, or the logistics of actually playing and transporting the instrument. I was purely fixated on the sound of the drums and the way the drums made the song sound. Social perks wasn't something that occurred to me at an age when I had a dipey full of poop :)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

I knew I wanted to be a musician from a relatively early age, but drumming was not where I thought I would land as a musician (and in some ways, it isn't the only place I've landed).

I started on trumpet in elementary school but was quick to realize it wasn't working out for me. In junior high I transitioned to saxophone and did quite well, ending up in all-state for a few years in a row, claiming first chair in the jazz band, etc. But then the second British Invasion happened, and with it an explosion of rock and metal music in the mainstream. My best friend took up the guitar, and wanting to share in the experience with him, I took up bass. His sister played drums, but it never gelled, and so I gravitated to the drums by accident. I showed much more aptitude for drums than bass, and so I made that my primary instrument for the next thirty years or so.

I'm back in multi-instrumentalist mode. I've learned hand percussion while relearning bass; I'm also expanding my base of music theory to assist with songwriting. I have always been a lyricist or lyrics contributor, and am experimenting with vocals. Why limit oneself to one thing?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Drums came easy to me. Everything else was hard work. Drums can be hard work depending on how technical you want to get, but for the most part, drums come easy to me. I have to work hard to learn guitar and there is the constant "upkeep" or I will lose my gains quite rapidly.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Somebody in band class left their drumsticks in the hallway of my highschool.
The sticks were inscribed with the name 'Kopko'
Instead of returning them to lost&found I kept them.
I brought them home and played on my bed to Led Zep, The Who, Rush and Genesis songs, all of high school.
Life intervened....only decades later I got down to buying a drumset.

Hey 'Kopko' are you out there? I stole your sticks.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:53 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I loved drums and drumming so much, when I first saw and played my older cousin's Ringo kit...(which he still has and plays) I was hopelessly addicted. Hopelessly.

Yet I never had an urge to join school band, at any grade. I wasn't big into organized stuff. Things would have been very different had I went there, but I wasn't feeling it. I kind of thought the band people were geeks and nerds. I don't think that now, but back then I saw myself as rock and roll. I thought I was too cool for school band. Typical overinflated teenager thinking. I missed out on a lot of stuff, but I also got great experiences that I totally earned too. I would walk/hitchhike pretty far, like 15/20 miles (pre-car) many many times to get face time in the local scene, which was pretty happening in the 70's and 80's. I was always one to try and find my own thing, rather than do the organized thing.

It's funny after my 20 year break, when I came back to to my local scene, a lot of the same faces of the 70's/80's era were/are still at it. It's a lifetime affliction for some, with no hope for a cure :)
Old 05-02-2017, 05:14 AM

I played a few years during my late teen years. Then, I took 17 years off. So, what made me want to pick it up again? The challenge to play good. Because, as a late teenage drummer, I had no clue. No instruction. I was terrible and even my friends, who played guitar, choose other, more advanced drummers to jam with.

Back then, the good drummers, were the kids, who also played drums for the school band. Well, I wasn't apart of that crowd. Heck, school wasn't my thing at all.

So, I guess I am now playing the drums, to prove to myself, that I can actually get good. Or at least not suck as much as I did as a teenage drummer.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Drums came easy to me. Everything else was hard work. Drums can be hard work depending on how technical you want to get, but for the most part, drums come easy to me. I have to work hard to learn guitar and there is the constant "upkeep" or I will lose my gains quite rapidly.
How i know what you mean. Guitar has a lot of alternate tuning, different keys. It's all to learn to position porperly to play the chords. I always ended up mutting strings.

Drums is definetively easier in the sense that you're not playing in different keys. However drums does not come that easy to me. I must pratice a lot.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

Watching Ringo, Charlie Watts, Dave Clark, and later Greg Errico on the Ed Sullivan show.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Neil Peart made me interested in drums.

Keith Moon made me want to dedicate my life to drums (though he had long since passed away at the time).
Old 05-02-2017, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

Played guitar since I can remember (age 5 maybe), and started drumming (on a kit) at 10.
It's really the drum kit itself that is so much more interesting to me.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

I think I was a fan of drums before becoming a drummer. I had close friends who were drummers, but it never occurred to me to sit down and try. One time at a party, I think I was in college, around 19-20 years old...gosh got goose bumps thinking about being that young...anyway, dude was playing guitar next to a drumset and I had an impulse to sit down and could play a beat along with his guitar and found it a wonderful feeling. My love grew from there.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:18 AM

Neil Peart, Roger Taylor, Ringo Starr, Lars Ulrich. That is all.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:37 AM

I started on piano and then wanted to do something different from my parents, who were both professional brass players. I tried flute, but that didn't appeal to me. Then I tried drums and liked that better. I was in school band and a friend asked me if I'd be interested in joining the local drum and bugle corps in the town where I lived. Played bass drum and then the corps got a mallet instrument and I was the only one in the drum line who could read melodic music. So, that was my new instrument. Drum corps is what really turned me on to percussion.

Then college and graduate school happened and I took about 25 years off. My kid wanted a drum set for his birthday, so I got it. He didn't play it much, but I did. Started practicing constantly and really enjoyed it again. Also, I had played jazz piano for the years in between, but had not played in groups--just solo, mostly for my own enjoyment. The drums opened up an opportunity to play in jazz combos and I really enjoyed working on developing as a jazz drummer--still do. Practicing is one of the best parts of my day.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:01 PM

Wish I had a "born to drum" story, but I don't. I could have just as easily ended up with guitar or sax. My brother and my cousin were both playing guitar and I wanted to learn an instrument too. I tried guitar, but didn't have the patience to work out scales and finger placement for chords, so it didn't last long.

Saw Kiss on HBO and said, "Okay, Peter Criss seems to be having a LOT of fun" so I think I'll give drums a shot. Bass never entered my mind! Oddly, while I didn't have the discipline for guitar, I sat at a wood block practice pad for a good 6 months, "wack, wack, wack, - left, right, left" and I LOVED it! Having an enthusiastic teacher helped greatly too! Bought a used kit in 1978 after 6 months of lessons and the rest is history.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Beating on pan lids as a kid listening to beatles albums.. then 35 years later gavin harrison on letterman made me finally pull the trigger.. wish i had never picked up a guitar in those years between. Drummers are the nicest people i have met.. and playing drums is about the best thing in life :)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

My brother's first band (when he was 14) practiced at my house. The drummer left his drum set there (an old sparkle stencil kit). I was 9 and was totally obsessed with them. I played them, and I actually got pretty good in a short amount of time.

I asked for my parents for drums.

I got a piano.

I finally got my first set at age 19.

I often wonder how much better I would be now if I was able to get a set at a younger age. Oh well.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:55 PM

My uncle's band used to rehearse at my grandmother's house, and I loved all of it immediately. I'd want to hang out and listen frequently. Eventually, they gave me a seat behind the drums, so that I could sit with him, probably so I'd be out of the way. It must have been a powerful sensation. Seems it made an impression.

Eventually, I'd go outside and drum on my own, using a trash can and sticks I found on the ground.

It's not changed much since then.

Last edited by DrumWild; 12-28-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:57 AM

John Bonham! :), after hearing 'Black Dog"on the local pizza shop's jukebox! :),
& when i was in primary school was drawn to the sound of marching drums &like to hit things hard! :).
Old 05-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

For me it was Ringo and a local band that practiced in a neighborhood garage. I first got a snare, played in school band, got my first stencil kit, and here I am now fifty years later. I still love the sound and looks of drums and cymbals. Peace and goodwill.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:25 PM

The first time I heard a snare and bass drum "alive", very close to a drumset and a drummer.

Always interested in music, but the drums as "mere instrument" never striked me listening to a record or as a spectator in front of a stage.

I was 14 or 15 listening to some friend's reharsal...the vibrations those strange things produced, the extreme noise they made...I felt I couldn't do without them anymore.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Gold Member

Grew up as a punk rocker in the 80s with pals who were older than me by 4-5 years. They all played punk in bands.

I listened to them and thought, aged 9/10 "that looks easy...and fun...and I'd love to be in a band".

I was always a tapper and used to thump drum beats on the arms of chairs. Again, I thought "this is easy...I could play drums".

Got my first kit when a mate of mine in the aforementioned group sold his...a really naff four piece with dust bin lid cymbals and rust stands.

And was able to play them straight off to a reasonable standard (ie. 4/4 beats playing basic punk rock covers). Joined the band. We were doing gigs from me being about 12 years of age.

I really don't believe my drumming has improved that much since then (47 now). I think I started off being able to keep a beat. And I pretty much still can. But that's about the limit of my expertise.

But...for me...it was always, and has always been, about being in a band. Said it before, if I wasn't in a band, I'd probably sell my drums.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWild View Post
My uncle's band used to rehearse at my grandmother's house, and I loved all of it immediately. I'd want to hang out and listen frequently. Eventually, they gave me a seat behind the drums, so that I could sit with him, probably so I'd be out of the way. It must have been a powerful sensation. Seems it made an impression.

Eventually, I'd go outside and drum on my own, using a trash can and sticks I found on the ground.

It's not changed much since then.
Fun picture, DW! Working the improvised floor tom!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

The defining moment was seeing Ringo play on the Ed Sullivan Show.
That's when it all clicked. It was game on after that.