DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:33 AM

Default Marching Bass Information

So, I want to join my high school drumline next year and I want to play snare but I'm nowhere near good enough to make it on snare so I need to know more about bass drum. I've heard that splitting notes is hard and I actually have no clue what splitting notes is. Any information on marching bass would be helpful because I know absolutely nothing about it.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Marching Bass Information

Splitting notes are not hard, you just have to learn how to count.

I'd argue that playing bass line makes you a better musician overall.

What split parts means is that all the bass drums play different music. Sometimes you play all together, sometimes you play individual notes. That's all it is.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:38 PM

First off, snare isn't any easier than bass, in fact sometimes bass is harder. I played snare for my high drum line my first 3 years and then I moved to bass my senior year because I wanted to. You won't have to worry about rolls or most rudiments, but you have to have really good timing. If you're having a hard time with it try out for bass drum #3 or #1. Bass #2 is hardest and the last bass will be pretty heavy so unless you're pretty big I wouldn't go for it. But I loved bass drum it was my favorite year in drumline. I got to tap off the cadences and band when we marched on and off the field, and the bass line I played with had a lot of cool guys on it that I'm still really good friends with. Some of the really good bass lines will split 16th notes or faster between the first and second bass, try to ask a snare player to do that. You'll have a lot of fun
Old 05-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Go for quads or quints instead. Just as fun as snare and you get to learn some cool sticking as well. I played Slingerland cutaways and weighed only 145lbs at the time. They can be as heavy as bass, but I sure thought they were more fun.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
Go for quads or quints instead. Just as fun as snare and you get to learn some cool sticking as well. I played Slingerland cutaways and weighed only 145lbs at the time. They can be as heavy as bass, but I sure thought they were more fun.
It looks cool and fun but it also looks super hard so I don't know if I would be able to do it. How hard do you think it is compared to snare and bass? And I'm like 110 lbs..... I need to eat more
Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafroggys View Post
Splitting notes are not hard, you just have to learn how to count.

I'd argue that playing bass line makes you a better musician overall.
Second that. You'll just have to learn about rhythm-- how to count the overall rhythm of the entire BD line, but only play one part of it, which may be in a weird spot.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:27 PM

I got started in drum corps playing bass drum and really enjoyed it. You learn a lot. Just try not to slip in mud with the bass drum. It's not fun.

Last edited by taiko; 05-06-2017 at 07:08 PM.