DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:12 PM

Default Roland VH11 VH12 works with Pearl red box?

Hello.
Please help guys.
I would like buy the hi-hat Roland VH11 or VH12 to my Pearl E-Pro Live kit.Asking will be work with the Pearl red box module?
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roland VH11 VH12 works with Pearl red box?

Most drum modules require you use their specific hi hats due to the sensor that controls the open/close parameters. So Im thinking tbey wont work with the Redbox.

SOLD: PDP Concept Maple 12/16/24
Old 04-19-2017, 10:54 PM

Whoops - I have just asked the same question!

The Pearl supplied plastic cymbal is simply awful. My whole 'underneath mechanism' just flops about and cannot be secured. No wonder it is impossible to play.

The only bad thing that lets this kit down!

I want the VH-11 too !!!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 PM

It will work but you will only get 1 zone out of it (edge not bow).

That pearl box is just a rebranded Alesis DM10. The way Roland processes multiple zones is different than the way Alesis does.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

The answer is no. It's the one thing you really can't swap around too much. Same goes for the detached "pedal" hi-hats. I tried a few different combinations and ended up finding you should use the one the module expects.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
The answer is no. It's the one thing you really can't swap around too much. Same goes for the detached "pedal" hi-hats. I tried a few different combinations and ended up finding you should use the one the module expects.
OP this is incorrect.

It will work as 1 zone and that zone will be the edge. I know this because I did what you asked years ago. You will have to adjust your settings for threshold, curves etc. so that its playability is comfortable for you.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterKohn View Post
OP this is incorrect.

It will work as 1 zone and that zone will be the edge. I know this because I did what you asked years ago. You will have to adjust your settings for threshold, curves etc. so that its playability is comfortable for you.
That means it doesn't work. Edge zone only for hi hat is really stupid. Not only that, usually there are problems with the variation levels between open/closed. It won't be fun to play, easy to setup, or similar at all to a real hi hat. Waste of time and it will never work correctly because the different providers wire up things differently and interpret the signals differently.

Last edited by Dr_Watso; 04-21-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
That means it doesn't work. Edge zone only for hi hat is really stupid. Not only that, usually there are problems with the variation levels between open/closed. It won't be fun to play, easy to setup, or similar at all to a real hi hat. Waste of time and it will never work correctly because the different providers wire up things differently and interpret the signals differently.
On alesis/redbox there was never 2 zones on the hi hat. So it will function correctly with the redbox hence why I said don't listen to you lol...

I use Superior Drummer 2 with e-kit. I never had any of those issues with open/slosh/closed. Superior Drummer can remap based on your playing. I will note you can change settings on pedal on the dm10/redbox to alleviate this issue.

Its not a waste of time if you have Superior Drummer and general google searching skills to learn how to adjust settings properly.