DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-21-2017, 09:24 PM

Default Mapex Saturn V or Tama Starclassic

Hi,

I'm a drummer from France (so please excuse the few mistakes I might make!)
Also: this is my first post here.. Hi everyone!

Anyways,

I'm looking to buy a new drum set and I have found different used offers and I'd be very interessted in some opinions.

First of all I play pretty much anything (from pop to rock, metal etc...) but most of the time I enjoy playing heavy stuff. I also play in a band, we play mostly rock stuff also (from sum41 to avenged sevenfold to acdc...) anyways I think that's enough information here!

Now, before getting into the interesting part here is what the kit will actually be played with and what was my last kit:

the kit i've been using for years now was a Yamaha recording custom (made in england in the 80's), it's a 9000 hot red version and has a 20" kick, 10" tom and 14" floor tom.

What i'll be keeping these parts of my kit with the new one:
a 14*6.5 mapex hammered snare Brass (black panther, I think it's the sledgehammer except in a different finish because it's a limited editon. Anyways)
and Meinl Cymbals (19" byzance crash, 20" extra thin hammered crash, 21" avedis sweet ride (might want to change this one), an 18" classics custom trash china and some old UFIP ritmo hihat (might want also to change that at some point).

Anyways I hope this wasn't too long, I've noticed most posts only asked the question without any background information...But in french forums they're really picky about that stuff!
Alright here is where the debate comes in.

I'm basically looking for a new sound, as well as a bit more power(volume? more sound basically) from my kick and toms. Here are the few options that I have found (i'll leave imaged in attached files):
Keep in mind that my original budget was around 900 euros.

- A mapex Saturn V in exotic finish deep water, sizes are 22" kick, 10" and 12"' rack toms and 16" : price was 1000 euros narrowed down to 900. Apparently it hasn't go a scratch. (Saturn V's are quite rare in France so I was supprised when I saw an exotic finish available)

-A tama starclassic B/B in a black oyster limited edition finish. Apparently hasn't got a scratch too and the sizes are the same as the Mapex (22" kick, 10" and 12" rack toms with a 16" floor tom). Original price was 1200 Euros, guy was okay to take it down to 1100 Euros.

- A tama Starclassic Mapple in sunburst finish. The price is 1400 euros and includes : 8",10",12",13",14" and 16" (a few of them which are new), a 22x17 Bass drum and a 14x5,5 snare (probably a different model than the rest of the kit from it looks, hasn't got more in the description so i'm probably wrong). But for the price it also includes : hardware (so cymbale stands, snare stand, kick pedal etc..) and some "stagg" proctection stuff for the toms/bass drums.
The thing with this kit is : First it's a pain in the ass for me to go and get because it's quite fare away, i've already got the hardware I need and the guy isn't interessed in lowering the price or selling seperately.

- A tama Staclassic Bubbinga in finish red/black with kind of "sparkles" if I'm right? (it's the one with a rack on the picture)
it's 1300 euros for :the snare/ 2 rack toms, 1 floor tom and kick drum. Probably 22/10/12/16 and 14. (this one looks a bit less - new than the others)

anyways I think this is it for now! Any opinions welcome!

Oh by the way, keep in mind that although I can't try all the kits before making the decision, I will however take the road to pick up the drumset so I will inspect and be able to try the drums pick.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Mapex Saturn V or Tama Starclassic

Both will have a great sound, and you will have to listen and decide which sound suits you better.

I also suggest you take a look at the hardware and how easily it is to get parts in your area. Here in the states, Tama has excellent parts availability. I can get just about any spring, bolt, lug, or hoop I need in a matter of days (through an authorized dealer). This was a deciding factor in my going with Tama years ago.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Those are all really nice sounding kits. Were it me, either of these:
A Mapex Saturn V for 900.
Tama starclassic B/B in a black oyster - down to 1100 Euros.

These seem a really good value. I'd lean to the Tama - likely have better re-sale value and will certainly turn lots of heads for its looks.
Cb has a good point about replacement parts.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 PM
Gold Member

I'd say, get the Saturn or the Starclassic B/B, depending on how much you want to spend. (The Starclassic would be my choice. I am partial. :-) And I love that finish. Just incredibly cool. Better resale value, too, if it's important for you)

If you plan on adding new drums later, then get the Saturn. If three toms is all you'll ever need, then it's really up to you.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
Both will have a great sound, and you will have to listen and decide which sound suits you better.

I also suggest you take a look at the hardware and how easily it is to get parts in your area. Here in the states, Tama has excellent parts availability. I can get just about any spring, bolt, lug, or hoop I need in a matter of days (through an authorized dealer). This was a deciding factor in my going with Tama years ago.
Yes that is what I have figured about their differences in sound, however listening online to samples I don't seem to lean towards one or the other I think I like both as much.
That is a good point about replacement pieces too. However I think here in Europe Tama is as bad as Mapex : no real supplier in France. However most they will 100% go trough "thomann" which is located in Germany (the biggest european music store). And prices on there are usually good.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Those are all really nice sounding kits. Were it me, either of these:
A Mapex Saturn V for 900.
Tama starclassic B/B in a black oyster - down to 1100 Euros.

These seem a really good value. I'd lean to the Tama - likely have better re-sale value and will certainly turn lots of heads for its looks.
Cb has a good point about replacement parts.
I have to agree with the finish of the Tama, I just really love it. Altough I much like the Saturn's finish, the Tama just has that "vintage" feel
Old 04-21-2017, 10:17 PM
Gold Member

If you want/need replacement parts for Tama, contact Meinl in Germany. They are the Tama distributor and have an online-shop for all kinds of spare parts.

http://www.meinlshop.de/en/tama?XTCs...5e6a116ec78efc
Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
I'd say, get the Saturn or the Starclassic B/B, depending on how much you want to spend. (The Starclassic would be my choice. I am partial. :-) And I love that finish. Just incredibly cool. Better resale value, too, if it's important for you)

If you plan on adding new drums later, then get the Saturn. If three toms is all you'll ever need, then it's really up to you.
I think I just talked about finish on that other answer, my bad i'm quite new to this. Adding toms could be interesting but they are quite expensive (450 euros was the only price i found for an extra floor tom 14*14 or 14*12). I don't think I will need or want more than 3 anyways.

I think both finishes look amazing - leaning towards the tama but the price makes me lean towards mapex.. I'm not sure how much those limited edition version cost when bought new if anyone has a guess i'm all ears ! But resale value is an important point for me yes
Old 04-21-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Deckel View Post
If you want/need replacement parts for Tama, contact Meinl in Germany. They are the Tama distributor and have an online-shop for all kinds of spare parts.

http://www.meinlshop.de/en/tama?XTCs...5e6a116ec78efc
I did not know that, nice to know, thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samPetit81 View Post
I'm not sure how much those limited edition version cost when bought new if anyone has a guess i'm all ears !
That Tama-Shellset (no snare) had cost somewhere around 1800-2000 Euros if I remember well.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:17 AM
Silver Member

+1 on the black oyster Tamas, they look just great. Thomann are great to deal with and keep a great big stock of Tama stuff!

BTW, the last pic would qualify for the "Tom Angles" thread...
Old 04-22-2017, 03:00 AM
Silver Member

+2 on the Starclassic B/B, but I'm biased. :)
Old 04-22-2017, 07:07 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about replacement parts. If they're all in good shape (which it seems they are), and you treat them well, you'll likely never need to replace anything on any of those kits.

What would I choose? That black oyster Starclassic does look very nice, but the Saturns, once set up (rather than stacked), will look really nice as well. And they'll both sound great. Since your original budget was 900, I'd stick to that and go with the Saturns.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:19 AM

A lot of votes for the Black Oyster here, I can figure why they look so great, but then as the mapex do.

I suppose not worrying too much about replacement parts i right since it will be the same when ordering those in europe for both compagnies.

No one really mentionned it but what about the starclassics maple? this kit is a bit more expensive but
- has way more toms
- has hardware so if I end up selling what I don't need I'll probably get back on my budget..

what do you guys think about that kit? Personally I'm not sure if I will have the use for this many toms
Old 04-22-2017, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

You already answered it yourself.

Quote:
The thing with this kit is : First it's a pain in the ass for me to go and get because it's quite fare away, i've already got the hardware I need and the guy isn't interessed in lowering the price or selling seperately.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
No one really mentionned it but what about the starclassics maple? this kit is a bit more expensive but
- has way more toms
- has hardware so if I end up selling what I don't need I'll probably get back on my budget..

what do you guys think about that kit? Personally I'm not sure if I will have the use for this many toms
I dont think that kit is a starclassic maple. It has an 8 lug bass drum instead of 10, it has metal badges instead of the badges under the clear coat. It is made up of multiple color toms, etc. Im not so sure I trust that one. It may be a birch kit.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_D View Post
I dont think that kit is a starclassic maple. It has an 8 lug bass drum instead of 10, it has metal badges instead of the badges under the clear coat. It is made up of multiple color toms, etc. Im not so sure I trust that one. It may be a birch kit.
I also could not find the finish on the official website. I'm no expert of starclassics so I couldn't have seen the lug problem etc but the badge is indeed quite weird. I'm definitely not picking this one.

The choice remains between the starclassic B/B and Saturn V's. I can't make my decision!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

Starclassic B/B. Way better resale value. And it looks really great - on any stage with any light.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

That picture of the Saturn did not do that kit any justice. Here was mine the day I picked it up.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2017, 10:34 PM

I have a Tama Starclassic B/B kit. Very high quality and very powerful sound.

Tama Starclassic B/B
Ludwig Legacy Mahogany
Paiste
Zildjian
Old 04-22-2017, 10:42 PM

Yes it is true the picture of the saturn did not do them justice - I still knew they could look as cool as yours under nice lighting.

Here are pictures I got from the 2 sellers of the exact kits. The saturns aren't properly light up and photos are kind of mediocre but still is a good representation of both kits.

(I had to put the images together because I couldn't upload them singularly somehow).

I have to say I'm leaning towards the Tama's.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2017, 10:46 PM

Oh BTW I forgot to mention but apparently from what I read on this blog/review :

http://mattederondrums.blogspot.fr/2...-bb-black.html

The finish on those Tama's limited edition is actual paint and not a wrap?

I have to say I very much like the vintage-like finish with a pretty modern drum set
Old 04-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

The Tamas are a timeless finish for sure! With the Mapex, while attractive looking, you run the risk of the style going out of fashion!
Old 04-22-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitalTransformation View Post
The Tamas are a timeless finish for sure! With the Mapex, while attractive looking, you run the risk of the style going out of fashion!
That's a risk I'm probably not willing to take ! haha
Old 04-22-2017, 11:44 PM

Looks like the Tama bass drum is missing a couple of claws and tension rods on the reso side.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstringer7 View Post
Looks like the Tama bass drum is missing a couple of claws and tension rods on the reso side.
I have noticed that and have asked the seller. He probably only has setup those for the pictures I'm not sure.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstringer7 View Post
The "assembled" drum-pic at the top of this thread shows the drumset with all claws installed.
Quote:
He probably only has setup those for the pictures
Definitely. It's not that unusual.

And yes, that Tama finish is a lacquer finish, not a wrap.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Gold Member

I vote B/B. It's a great finish and, in my opinion, the best hardware in the business. The large Tama kit is birch. That would make a good contender if you wanted a large shell bank.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:02 AM

I think I've decided I'm going for the B/B. What about the full bubinga one? It's a bit more expensive but it's in the same city as the B/B. Is it worth taking a look?
Old 04-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Gold Member

This is why you should pass on the Bubinga.
Quote:
Keep in mind that my original budget was around 900 euros.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:26 AM

If the price was the same as the B/B's would it be worth considering? I sure don't like the finish as much heh.

I have another question, I've noticed Tama makes these quite great Tom mounting system for the rack toms, will these drums have that technology? He claims to have bought this drum in 2012

Edit : I've also just noticed that the B/B kick drum is a 22*16" as opposed to the Mapex Saturn V that is a 22"*18". Will I hear a big difference there ? I have to admit the only kick drums I've owned were 22"*18"
In fact I noticed that the limited editions for starclassics had 22"*16" bass drums, anyone know the reason for this?

Last edited by samPetit81; 04-23-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
If the price was the same as the B/B's would it be worth considering? I sure don't like the finish as much heh.

I have another question, I've noticed Tama makes these quite great Tom mounting system for the rack toms, will these drums have that technology? He claims to have bought this drum in 2012

Edit : I've also just noticed that the B/B kick drum is a 22*16" as opposed to the Mapex Saturn V that is a 22"*18". Will I hear a big difference there ? I have to admit the only kick drums I've owned were 22"*18"
In fact I noticed that the limited editions for starclassics had 22"*16" bass drums, anyone know the reason for this?
22x16 is a (slightly) more "vintage" size. Both will be fine, but the 16" takes up noticably less space on stage.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:47 PM
"Uncle Larry"

The Saturns are the only kit with walnut and my guess is it will beat out the others sonically, with the B/B coming in a very close 2nd. Just a guess.

I haven't heard bubinga in a while. I do remember my impressions being (on a just bubinga shell) that they were deep like walnut, but with a "harder" edge or attack. Bubinga is almost twice as hard as walnut, maple, birch, ash cherry.

I'm pretty impressed with the Alpi veneers. I mean for the money, you get that totally exotic look. Heck they fool most drummers. Only complete geeks know that that beautiful waterfall looking pattern isn't an actual wood veneer. It's hard to tell from over 2 feet away. Destroyer's Alpi patterns on his Saturns are way nicer than my actual olive ash burl veneer patterns on my DW's lol.

Destroyers drums...I love that finish. It looks like he dropped a nice wad of dough for it, mission accomplished Alpi!
Old 04-23-2017, 04:34 PM

To be honest the only "good" kit I've owned was my yamaha recording custom, which was Birch. Sonically I suppose it's just personal preference.

As a matter of finish I can't decide on which ones I prefer but I'm going to buy the Tama's B/B for the better value when I'll want to sell. I have to say I got convinced. I originally was sold to the Mapex..

I've searched about that kit and apparently around 100 only was made, 70 in the USA, 12in the UK, I don't know about the other countries.