DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Default How comprehensive are drum lessons these days?

It's been about 30 yrs. since taking formal lessons. i.e. rudiments, styles, reading, playing along to records etc...

Do teachers these days also dedicate other drumming-related knowledge into a lesson? Such as career guidance, finances, recording techniques, sound production, touring, health etc?

Would love to hear back from any teachers here regarding knowledge that you impart to a student that may not necessarily involve the sticks or pedals. As well as any students here who have learned things in lessons that you didn't expect to get that day.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:42 AM

Default Re: How comprehensive are drum lessons these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
It's been about 30 yrs. since taking formal lessons. i.e. rudiments, styles, reading, playing along to records etc...

Do teachers these days also dedicate other drumming-related knowledge into a lesson? Such as career guidance, finances, recording techniques, sound production, touring, health etc?...

My answer would be: every teacher is different.

In my case if the student asks me especifically, or is pertinent to what we are addressing in a specific lesson I always do (the last, pertinent, independently if they ask).

Best,

Alex

Last edited by Alex Sanguinetti; 04-03-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post

My answer would be every teacher is different.
+1

and every student is different. Are they interested in corp, metal, jazz, orchestral etc? - Each has its own best practices.

I've learned from esteemed teachers where to park illegally (and timeline management) to run in the backstage door, hit that cymbal crash, and collect a paycheck in record time. I was taught that the edge of a cymbal is both a lethal defense weapon and can (not so surgically) remove the toes from a stripper's foot if you do not set your stand just 'so'.

I could write a book on this subject ...

edit to add: For example, you do not need to teach the jazz, corp or orchestral students to NOT throw their sticks into the audience ...

Last edited by 60's Drummer; 04-01-2017 at 01:21 AM. Reason: editing was required
Old 04-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

I was thinking more along the lines of teacher's who not only expose students to a variety of musical styles and techniques but also explain and teach how to use the technology they themselves use live or in the studio, business advice, etc...
With the thought of a well rounded teaching approach to being a "modern drummer."
Old 04-03-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of teacher's who not only expose students to a variety of musical styles and techniques but also explain and teach how to use the technology they themselves use live or in the studio, business advice, etc...
With the thought of a well rounded teaching approach to being a "modern drummer."
Yes, was already answered on my first answer.

Depends on the teacher, his knowledge, experience, oppeness, etc. (was the same in the past).

Best regards!
Old 04-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Would there be any time left for a drum lesson if a teacher tried to cover everything mentioned? There is so much info on the web about the peripherals.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do teachers these days also dedicate other drumming-related knowledge into a lesson? Such as career guidance, finances, recording techniques, sound production, touring, health etc?
Of course! Who better to advise someone on how to not become a broke-ass musician, but a broke-ass musician? :)
Old 04-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Depends on the teacher and the student.

If you go to college there are classes and I don't consider it relevant for younger students.

There are a lot of other challenges when teaching these days. There are a lot of old outdated people working with a lot of young inexperienced people. If you find yourself in the middle of that you certainly got your work cut out for you.

Younger people naturally understand and have the inclination to use social media better than I do and that's really where it's at.

I don't really think this is drum teachers job unless it's just about playing with, working with, interacting with other musicians.

Certainly during a lesson I always explain why we do things, where it comes from and try to sell everything in a meaningfull way. This includes those values that are timeless and we should strive to keep as teachers, artists and fellow human beings. That is actually really important for the future value of this business.

As for the music business...

What music business?

Nothing is the same.

If the band works well together and stays together you will succeed. It's the freelance, hired pros for sessions and tours as well as funds to do those things that has dried up. Apart from the salaries gaving stayed the same for 30 years and there being more people fighting for those gigs, that part is sort of the same.

The average persons taste for quality has to evolve, but tides are actually turning on that. There's just less money around and it's still a bit more shallow than it should be, but enough musicians are tired of that for there to be some effort for a positive change.

Now, in my job, getting them to show up and take things semi-seriously is usually challenging enough.

Last edited by Odd-Arne Oseberg; 04-03-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

In the last few weeks, I have offered school/career advice to certain students (when applicable).

One student is looking into colleges in preparation for a career in music. We discussed the pros and cons of large schools, small schools, schools (and performing opportunities) in small vs large cities, etc. I also had him research drummers with successful careers to find out how they keep working (playing, teaching, writing, etc).

Another student came to visit me on a break from college. He is graduating soon. We discussed options for his future. We looked at his options for making money in the industry while paying off his school loans. He is considering cruise ship work.

Are most lessons about playing? Yes. But other parts of the music business are also addressed.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
Now, in my job, getting them to show up and take things semi-seriously is usually challenging enough.
+1 !!