DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:49 AM

Default Help with Living Loving Maid

I'm having an issue getting this song right. My problem is the changeover from Verse to Chorus. I practiced this at least 50 times and then went to practice tonight and flubbed it. I hear / feel that the tempo changes from Verse to Chorus my bass player who is also a drummer says no that's not the case and that's where I'm getting hung up. Everyone else in the band has Tabs from the internet to reference I sure wish there were drum tabs. I sat down and wrote out the notes to the best of my ability but I'm messing up this transition. I even looked at others playing it on youtube. Any suggestions? Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Help with Living Loving Maid

OK I stand corrected on the tabs. Last time I searched, at least a year ago, I came up blank. This time I hit paydirt. But I'm still very open to help with this transistion. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

It goes to a half time feel on the B section, but the tempo is the same- you just play the snare on 3 instead of on 2 and 4. Try playing through it a few times just keeping steady quarter notes on the hihat, then add the snare and bass back in once that's comfortable.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Gold Member

I'm not sure if this is 100% right or if it will help but off the top of my head ..on liv-ing hit your bassdrum - bassdrum then hit the snare and crash at same time (after living)...you can count it as a triplet BBS ...on lov-ing do the same thing then on shes just a woman go SSBBS follow the sylables there are 5 syb. and/or 5 notes or try SSSBS..you can hit the crash with the snare each time again..
Old 03-30-2017, 06:36 AM

Resurrecting this thread that asks how to play "Living Loving Maid" because I'm also having difficulty figuring it out.

I saw a couple kids on Youtube breeze through the song no problem.

I mean how are they learning the song? These kids probably weren't even born yet when Led Zepplin was popular.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:54 AM
Ghostnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Resurrecting this thread that asks how to play "Living Loving Maid" because I'm also having difficulty figuring it out.

I saw a couple kids on Youtube breeze through the song no problem.

I mean how are they learning the song? These kids probably weren't even born yet when Led Zepplin was popular.
Just listen to it and copy what Bonham is playing. Really not that hard, its all basic stuff. There's a half time section in there, thats it. Stop psyching yourself out and just listen to the tune.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 AM
Gold Member

Drugs and Alcohol my man! Vintage Style.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
Just listen to it and copy what Bonham is playing. Really not that hard, its all basic stuff. There's a half time section in there, thats it. Stop psyching yourself out and just listen to the tune.
I agree, even though easier said than done.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 AM
"Uncle Larry"

IMO, this can all be figured out by simply listening with no preconceived ideas. When I learn a song I don't already know from hearing it 1,000,000 times, I chart out the arrangement and identify what beat it is, what the breaks are, what feel it is, what style it's in, and get it in my head first by just listening to it over and over. I deconstruct it, reverse engineer it. I build the drum part mentally. I never practice a new song on the drums until I perform it, I mentally imagine the whole darn thing, then play it live. It's a skill drummers need to have. My band never rehearses, not even once, and I love it that way.

Learning a song?

It's all in the mind.

Just listen as purely as you can.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:15 PM

I started listening to this song in 1969 and still cant tell how many times Bonham kicks the bass between the snare notes.

Last edited by Vinny; 03-30-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle pete View Post
Drugs and Alcohol my man! Vintage Style.
Tried that.

So did Bohnam and Moon.

I'm here, they are not.

Last edited by Vinny; 03-30-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I started listening to this song in 1969 and still cant tell how many times Bonham kicks the bass between the snare notes.
No more than twice, but you're probably overthinking it. I think you should focus more on the feel of the song instead of trying to mimic every note Bonham plays. There are plenty of licks and things he does that are based on grooving more than composing a song.

Listen to Terry talk about it. He focuses on the feel but he'll also go over every portion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBL-TdCdNNg
Old 03-30-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I'm with this guy.

Honestly, I think people overthink stuff. I have always learned more by ear and feel more than anything else. At the end of the day the other guys you are playing with aren't Plant, Page and Jones so you guys need to find your own sound with the tune.....certain aspects of it need to be played "as is" to maintain the feel and flow of the song but I wouldn't jab a stick in my eye if I skipped a single note on the bass drum compared to Bonzo.....no one is grading you on technical performance.....so I would prioritize feel and flow for the tune over playing every single note the way Bonzo did.......but WTF do I know..... :-)
Old 03-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Ghostnote

Quote:
Yah, like others have said, don't overthink it and don't worry about playing every single note the exact same way Bonham did. At first, just memorize the form of the song and know where the changes and stops are and play a simple beat along to the tune that fits each section (the B section requires you to play half time). Once you get that down, then you can begin picking the tune apart and copying the snare and bass drum a little more accurately, learning the shots and stops at the end of the B section, the build up at the begining of the A section, the shots in bar 3 and 4 of the A section, etc...
Old 03-30-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Yah, like others have said, don't overthink it and don't worry about playing every single note the exact same way Bonham did. At first, just memorize the form of the song and know where the changes and stops are and play a simple beat along to the tune that fits each section (the B section requires you to play half time). Once you get that down, then you can begin picking the tune apart and copying the snare and bass drum a little more accurately, learning the shots and stops at the end of the B section, the build up at the begining of the A section, the shots in bar 3 and 4 of the A section, etc...
Ghostnote -- could you explain what you mean by the A and B section?

Okay, I will stop being so picky. Was thinking I had to duplicate every note -- or is it "beat"?
(Still trying to figure out the difference between a "note" and a "beat")
Old 03-30-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Ghostnote -- could you explain what you mean by the A and B section?

Okay, I will stop being so picky. Was thinking I had to duplicate every note -- or is it "beat"?
(Still trying to figure out the difference between a "note" and a "beat")
Regarding the A and B sections, consider the verses the A and the middle sections the B. For example:

Verse (A)
With a purple umbrella and a fifty-cent hat, livin', lovin', she's just a woman

Middle (B)
Come on, babe, on the roundabout, ride on the merry-go-round

The beat is composed of multiple notes. You don't need to match Bonham note-for-note. Instead, you should focus on the essence of his beat and find what elements drive the song. Figure out what moves you- literally or figuratively- and use that to motivate your playing.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:54 PM
8Mile
This message has been deleted by 8Mile.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Threw this together kind of hastily, but during the two bars where he sings, "Living, loving, she's just a woman," this is the bass and drum part. Based on memory. And without any other notation for hi-hats or crashes. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LivinLovinMaid.pdf (38.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Tried that.

So did Bohnam and Moon.

I'm here, they are not.
So it's not Drugs or Alcohol it's Fame that's the Killer. Thought so! I just had a listen and it seems to me he is just powering through on double beats and accents, playing off the bass lines.

Last edited by paradiddle pete; 03-31-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: bed spelin
Old 04-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Threw this together kind of hastily, but during the two bars where he sings, "Living, loving, she's just a woman," this is the bass and drum part. Based on memory. And without any other notation for hi-hats or crashes. Hope this helps.
Thanks 8 mile! I was trying to kick three times in there.

Twice is much easier for me at this point. I have trouble controlling my leg/foot with those rapid three-kicks.