DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:40 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Got rituals?

Before playing or the day of the gig.

The day of the gig, I have certain foods I like to eat. I eat 3 tablespoons of hempseed, I drink a moringa product right before I go on, in addition to my 1/4 tsp of borax in grapefruit juice and 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.

I kind of have a little ritual...in my head....while driving to the gig....on the nights I think of it... I try and pinpoint one thing I want to happen. Usually, it's good time, which translates into no mental drift for me. Sometimes I say to myself, I really want to "bring it" tonight. Other times I try and make sure I'm smiling. Sometimes I try and really be extra "there" for the leader. Meaning keep a close eye on him and listening harder, being there when he turns around to communicate with me and not being off in la la land. I also like to wash my hands before going on but I forget sometimes.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Got rituals?

Yes.
Before every gig I check in here to see what You (Larry) are thinking about.
And what strange thread you have started.

Yeah, I have a gig tonight.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
Yes.
Before every gig I check in here to see what You (Larry) are thinking about.
And what strange thread you have started.

Yeah, I have a gig tonight.
I think that borax is slowly going to his head. Either that or he has been digging those Jazz cigarettes.

I like to leave my house 1 hour early, get there, take my time setting up and have a beer. I also like a quick stretch to loosen up my hands and feet.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 03-18-2017, 01:51 AM

Rituals might help with the stage fright, Larryace?

On the day of the gig, I drink the morning's coffee out of a band mug, take a snap & send it too all my band mates with the caption "Gig Day!"
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2017, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

Nothing I can think of except I wear my leather jacket that day to work (if its during the week). Just to get me in the mood early.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
The day of the gig, I have certain foods I like to eat. I eat 3 tablespoons of hempseed, I drink a moringa product right before I go on, in addition to my 1/4 tsp of borax in grapefruit juice and 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
Larry, I don't know how to break this to you, but if you're trying to live a rock star lifestyle, you're doing it all wrong!
Old 03-18-2017, 04:00 AM
Gold Member

I don't know if it counts as a ritual but I have to chew gum when I gig. I definitely play better. I think it distracts my brain from overthinking.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:36 AM

I kill three chickens and spill their blood on the drum set.

Seriously, I just try to go pee right before each set so I can drink plenty of water and/or beer while playing.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post
I don't know if it counts as a ritual but I have to chew gum when I gig. I definitely play better. I think it distracts my brain from overthinking.
The drummer of one of my favorite local bands also chews gum.

I also "sing" so no gum for me.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member

I try to keep my mind off the gig until downbeat. If I'm feeling anxious, I'll go for a walk after soundcheck or have a drink.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 03-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

No rituals for me. I'm in control, not the rituals. I used to wear my Animal knickers for gigs in the hope that they would suddenly enable me to play well but I realised they didn't make any difference. I do still wear knickers but they're just any old ones.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 03-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

The only one is making sure I have chewing gum with me. Feels strange when I don't have it at a gig.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:55 PM

Don't know if it's a kind of ritual,
No alcohol, no heavy meal, the right shoes, the right shirt, ;-), try to put cream on my hands so that they're not too dry, a little bit of warm up for my limbs. I tend to get tired very quickly (bad health) so I make Sure to have a good night the night before, otherwise if I'm scared not to be able to finish well the show, I'm gonna get nervous.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:07 PM

Only gig habits.

Comfy gig shoes (Jazz Dance shoes)
Camelbak Chute with Sparkling water (Pint glasses just get broken in the mayhem onstage....)
Earplugs
Comfy throne (Roc N Soc)

Other than that it doesn't matter what venue or drumset "du jour"

Cheers
Mick
Old 03-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

Confidence, loose wrists and ankles. and a bad ass attitood..
Old 03-18-2017, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

I kneel in the direction of Buddy Rich's grave and say 5 Papa Jo's, 3 Krupa's, 1 Bellson, snort a line of coke, whistle "Dixie" 1 1/2 times, give a thumbs up to Vinnie, give my cat a kiss one the forehead, throw some well aged stick dust over my shoulder and click my heels 3 times while repeating the mantra " It's all about the groove."
Old 03-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Now I know why you call yourself Odd-Arne. Lol. Stick dust...

I don't have any rituals because I just don't give a f*^k any more. I just try to eat light and have a couple beers. I like Red Bull & vodka too. I used to buy a t-shirt on gig day.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Stick dust...
I find that the stuff that has aged under the footboard of my hi-hat stand for at least 3-6 months has the most mojo. Just so you know, if it doesn't work for you, it may simply not have aged properly yet.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:07 PM

cool topic.
If I have my way for the schedule, this is my typical gig day thing.

1. jam for 30 mins to an hour on my e-kit at home, either to some of the songs on my ipad that need refreshing, or just grooving to a click and some backing tracks. I've found as I'm nearing 50, I need the warmup now. then I load the car.

2. I try to get to the gig about 30 minutes before the rest of the band, so I can have my kit setup by the time they start to show up. Nothing bugs me more than trying to setup with all their crap dropped in my space, which is where every piece of gear is dropped off, if my kit isn't there first!

3. While they are setting up their gear, I sit and chill and have a pint and a pound of hot wings.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

I basically just have my mom iron the wrinkles from one of my capes and then warm up the mini van to take me out to the gig later. I usually have her sit in the parking lot in case I run into problems and need to leave early.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Back when I used to live in California, there was a Jamba Juice on the corner by my house, so I could stop in for a pep-filled smoothie on the way to the gig. No Jamba Juices in central Washington, so now my wife does the honors. Her smoothies taste better anyway.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Hey Larry. I stretch out for about 20-30 minutes before going on. Neck, shoulders, chest, upper arms, forearms, wrists, fingers and my ankles, calf's, thighs. Then about 10 minutes on a pad. As I get older, the stretching is important part for me.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

I don't wash my hands (at least 2 hrs) bf a gig.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

When I'm playing at church, here are things I keep in mind.
  • I get there early enough to make sure my IEM's are not in a weird spot. We play our first note for rehearsal at 7:40am. I get there at 7:20am.
  • I always make sure that my 1/8" extension cable and my IEM cable are knotted together, sort of like this:

• I try to drink just the right amount of coffee (too little and I'm groggy, but to much and I get the shakes and can't think straight. We have three Sunday morning services and one rehearsal beforehand, so I have to know what I'm doing).
  • I make sure my notes are available and are clearly in view.
  • I write down what I do at the beginning of each song on my song list (even if I don't do anything).

When I actually get to play outside of church, I always change clothes before I play. I had a bass player who once said, "If you take the time to make yourself look good, you tend to play better." He was a shite bass player, but I think he's right. Whenever I pick out gigging clothes, I always feel like I'm "ready to play." Also, I don't have to worry about getting dirty or sweaty during load-in because I know in the back of my head I have that other set of clothes. It's silly, but it's worked for 20 years. If I feel good, I play better.

I make it a goal to arrive early enough to be able to set up, stop sweating, change clothes, and have at least 30 minutes to spare before I play to sit around and relax. I absolutely hate rushing when it comes to playing music. Being early is good for my mental health. If I'm rushing, I feel "off" the rest of the night.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I allow 1 hour to set up. I usually take like 40 minutes to load in and set up, so I have like 20 minutes to center myself before playing. I don't like languishing too long before playing. The band I'm in is pretty professional in our dealings with each other. They don't put their stuff in my space and I set up offstage and carry stuff up so I stay out of their space too.

I remember back in the day where a band would be at a place all weekend and the 2nd day I could just waltz in and play. I miss that, although I'd never leave my stuff in a bar anymore.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Larry just reminded me how much I hate the time in between setup and curtain. Standing around in a venue or bar without drinking and usually not even knowing when you're actually going to play as around here venue owners will delay the start if the place hasn't filled up yet.

I sometimes try to find something light to eat, but that's not always easy late at night. Absolutely love being first on the bill.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Jazz Man

In my teen years I used to have a ritual where I'd stop off EVERY night about an hour before going on and devour a Sonic Drive Thru Fried Burrito.

GOD I wish I hadn't of done that. All it did was upset my stomach the rest of the night!!

Nowadays......I just relax and hangout before going on.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I try and pinpoint one thing I want to happen.
I like this, as my brain tends to quickly overwhelm me with 50 things I want to happen. I think intentionally limiting it to one thing would help.

Like some others, I don't like a lot of time between setup and downbeat so I try to not get there too early. Usually, I'll spend the time in between chatting and catching up with my bandmates.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:39 PM

I think as a result of so much touring, I really cut down on any kind of rituals; I found that being in an unfamiliar environment every night of the week could really put a crimp in your plans.

You arrive late and can't stretch out. You don't have a dressing room so you can't have a few minutes 'chill time'. You haven't hit a laundromat in over a week so your 'special shirt' is still soaked in old beer. You're flat broke and can't afford the vitamins or ginseng pills or flax seed or whatever. The club is too loud for you to hear your warm-up jams on your headphones. Etc. etc. etc.

If you get hung up on rituals...the road is a bad place to be. And if it's going to affect your performance, you are SOL, my friend.

So I boiled it all down to a shot of tequila and paradiddles on my knee. I haven't toured in well over a decade, and those are still my only pre-set rituals.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

I reach over to my stick bag and touch these for good juju. Phillip "Fish" Fisher gave 'em to me in '96 in Norfolk VA, and signed them for me two days ago in Baltimore MD. :)
Attached Images