DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 PM
TomasHakkesBrain TomasHakkesBrain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 325
Default Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Just wondered what you opinions were on playing with backing tracks plus live band.

Ive had a couple of gigs recently, one a session and one for fun, where ive been using backing with a click track. On one occassion it was a click without the band in my mix and the tunes contained various complexities. I kept switching from one in ear monitor then both.

In addition the band didnt use a click also and just went by me or the backing when i wasnt playing.

Do you dislike playing and only hearing the click? Any problems you have occurred or tips to help any sticky situations?!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:41 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,498
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Everyone's situation and preferences will vary, although the goal is always the same - to make the performance sound seamless, and the drummer needs to do whatever is necessary with that goal in mind.

In my case, my mixes vary wildly in order to best stay in sync. Sometimes I hear an actual click with other players mixed in, sometimes I hear a custom track which may or may not include a click, and sometimes I prefer just hearing the original song, drums and all. Which avenue will depend on the complexity of the song in particular, and how I feel is the best way to stick with it and deliver that seamless performance. Fortunately, I get to determine those things, and have different overall mixes as necessary to play my best.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Mike_In_KC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Wow this is something I had never heard of before. So when you guys are playing live you are sometimes listening to the song you are playing through an ear pierce or as Bernuda described a modified version of the song? Is this pretty common? I had no idea....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2014, 10:04 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,498
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

As I said, everyone's situation will vary. I suppose I should add that everyone's comfort level varies as well. Ideally, the drummer should get exactly what he wants or needs in order to work with the click, and he often has to modify his concept of what a 'good' mix is. That is, a drummer that insists on hearing an overall good mix of the song, is probably not going to be able to follow the click. If the drummer doesn't understand why that won't work, he need only try it once to find out. :)

How we hear our mixes is subjective as well, somewhat. If there's a loud click blaring through a drum monitor, the audience will hear it, and obviously that's unacceptable. In situastions where the drummer just wants a click - meaning, "tick tock tick tock..." - he needs an in-ear or headphone solution. On stage, I prefer headphones, and on TV I use in-ears for a better look.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2014, 10:18 PM
Mongrel's Avatar
Mongrel Mongrel is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Jersey, USA
Posts: 664
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

and I guess if you're playing for any current "pop" stars you probably have an EXCELLENT vocal track to play along to....

(runs...ducks...hides...)

"snicker"

back to the doghouse...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,598
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

I've done the 'one man band' thing with MIDI backing tracks, and me playing drums and singing too - it's another kind of vibe you just learn how to do. I've done tracks where the band was playing along with me live as well. It's all good. You just have to be in control.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2014, 11:16 PM
xchriscollinsx's Avatar
xchriscollinsx xchriscollinsx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 30
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Playing with Non-seasoned pros:
I prefer playing with 'click only' in my ears if possible.
This helps when playing with players who may or may not mess up. If you're playing with a track, and the guitarist or singer misses a bar or adds one, you're going to get all kinds of wackyness in your head trying to then 'ignore' the guide track and stay with the overall band. So in those cases I like to have just click, and still have enough stage monitors to hear what they're playing. I get to keep time, but allows the freedom to adapt if stuff goes a little bit off band-wise.

Playing with Seasoned pros:
I prefer playing with click in one ear, and anything else in the other. This helps you 'feel' their groove, but still maintain time (since you're the master timekeeper, they should play to you of course). And you don't have to worry about everyone going off track if they're reliable.
__________________
www.xchriscollinsx.com
DRUMMER: Local & Touring Gigs. Studio Sessions. Music Videos.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2014, 12:36 AM
TomasHakkesBrain TomasHakkesBrain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 325
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchriscollinsx View Post
Playing with Non-seasoned pros:
I prefer playing with 'click only' in my ears if possible.
This helps when playing with players who may or may not mess up. If you're playing with a track, and the guitarist or singer misses a bar or adds one, you're going to get all kinds of wackyness in your head trying to then 'ignore' the guide track and stay with the overall band. So in those cases I like to have just click, and still have enough stage monitors to hear what they're playing. I get to keep time, but allows the freedom to adapt if stuff goes a little bit off band-wise.

Playing with Seasoned pros:
I prefer playing with click in one ear, and anything else in the other. This helps you 'feel' their groove, but still maintain time (since you're the master timekeeper, they should play to you of course). And you don't have to worry about everyone going off track if they're reliable.
You've helped my situation, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-17-2014, 06:30 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,203
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

I started playing with backing tracks right around 1999. I've done in it several bands.

It helps that I've usually been the one who had control over the start and stop (usually, not always). and usually the opportunity to program my own click sounds.

I'm not a big fan of hearing different things in different ears. I like a mix of maybe 75% click with 25% of the backing tracks in my headphones, and then pumping the backing tracks through the monitors. I personally never got around to using in ear monitors, as they were still pretty expensive back when I was doing this all the time.

Anyhow, I remember it was a bit awkward at first, but I quickly got used to and it soon became second nature to me.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-17-2014, 07:44 AM
Hollywood Jim's Avatar
Hollywood Jim Hollywood Jim is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 3,543
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

It is fascinating to me reading about these click and backing tracks. I enjoy learning about how and when they are used.

I am extremely old school with this stuff. I have never played with either.
I am the rhythm regulator in the bands I play with and I canít imagine playing to a click track.
When I need to slow down or speed up the rhythm of the song I can do it and nobody notices.

Seems to me that having a click track to help the drummer keep the rhythm is taking away the drummers main function. It is somewhat like going on stage and lip syncing a pre-recorded song.

Sorry that is just my old school opinion.


.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM
remohead remohead is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Dudley, West Midlands, Uk
Posts: 11
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

I do loads of stuff like this at the moment, I always make sure I get an aux send from the sound desk back to the stage and have the sound guy feed my in ears.

We are a live band with sequenced elements, we split the stereo signal LR into two mono feeds, the left side also contains my click track and comes to me only, the right side feeds the front of house without the click, this way you always have a click and the music to play to in your ears but the audience never hears it. The only downside is that any sequenced elements need to be mono or fired through a send on the desk by your sound guy back into a channel and delayed slightly to recreate a stereo (ish) signal.

I hope this helps!

Remo.

http://www.chris-drums.com
http://www.thedenstudios.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 AM
TomasHakkesBrain TomasHakkesBrain is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 325
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
It is fascinating to me reading about these click and backing tracks. I enjoy learning about how and when they are used.

I am extremely old school with this stuff. I have never played with either.
I am the rhythm regulator in the bands I play with and I canít imagine playing to a click track.
When I need to slow down or speed up the rhythm of the song I can do it and nobody notices.

Seems to me that having a click track to help the drummer keep the rhythm is taking away the drummers main function. It is somewhat like going on stage and lip syncing a pre-recorded song.

Sorry that is just my old school opinion.


.
Well i think the band would be interested in autotuning the vocals live, soooooo
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 AM
frog frog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 36
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
It is fascinating to me reading about these click and backing tracks. I enjoy learning about how and when they are used.

I am extremely old school with this stuff. I have never played with either.
I am the rhythm regulator in the bands I play with and I canít imagine playing to a click track.
When I need to slow down or speed up the rhythm of the song I can do it and nobody notices.

Seems to me that having a click track to help the drummer keep the rhythm is taking away the drummers main function. It is somewhat like going on stage and lip syncing a pre-recorded song.

Sorry that is just my old school opinion.

.




The point of a click is not because the drummer is hopeless at his job, the point of a click is usually to sync up pre-recorded or programmed parts, ie keyboards, or samples that are running off the backing track..

its not taking away from the drummers job, its to improve the quality of the overall performance. and its been happening for 30 years, so that puts you into the vintage, not oldschool category :P hahaha!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-17-2014, 03:06 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,498
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
The point of a click is not because the drummer is hopeless at his job, the point of a click is usually to sync up pre-recorded or programmed parts... its not taking away from the drummers job, its to improve the quality of the overall performance. and its been happening for 30 years...
Correct on both, Frog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I'm not a big fan of hearing different things in different ears. I like a mix of maybe 75% click with 25% of the backing tracks in my headphones, and then pumping the backing tracks through the monitors.
Depending what I'm doing, I do like panning certain things more to the right (my stronger ear) or left. When everything is in the center, it all competes for its space in the mix, and can make it more difficult to hear the click itself without cranking it up. By moving the click one direction or the other, it is easier to hear at lower volume, and easier to play to because the click and the live drums are both more audible when not competing volume-wise in the center of my brain.)

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Hollywood Jim's Avatar
Hollywood Jim Hollywood Jim is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 3,543
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
The point of a click is not because the drummer is hopeless at his job, the point of a click is usually to sync up pre-recorded or programmed parts, ie keyboards, or samples that are running off the backing track..

its not taking away from the drummers job, its to improve the quality of the overall performance. and its been happening for 30 years, so that puts you into the vintage, not oldschool category :P hahaha!
Ha !

Good point !

.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-18-2014, 01:21 AM
Living Dead Drummer's Avatar
Living Dead Drummer Living Dead Drummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,838
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

I've done it many ways.
Most of the time I get a click on one channel and a mix of the live band on another.
I use my own mixer and make it stereo so I have all the sounds in both my ears. Then I can just play with the volume as needed.

If I'm working with a group that has tracks, I'll stick a feed of the tracks on a 3rd channel and keep it lower that the other two.

I have on occasion used full-mix tracks as well. It's the actual audio of the song ripped right of the album and a click overlapped on the intro. Drums, Guitars, Bass, Vocals, everything is in there. Only I hear it, so it's not like the parts are being doubled out front. Sometimes an intro or outro is double on a track, so that will play in the house, but then cuts once the band kicks in. Again, I'll hear the whole song in my mix at that point.
I don't like doing this, but from time to time I find myself in a situation that calls for it.
__________________
~Nicholas Mason
#LivingDeadDrummer
livingdeaddrummer.com
YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-19-2014, 02:15 AM
New Tricks New Tricks is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,898
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

When I use a backing track live, I create an audible "click" that everyone can hear. A tambourine sound works well because the high frequency cuts thru the rest of the music A closed HH sound also works well. These sounds get buried in the mix so, even though they are audible, it fits in the music. Some tracks need no click. For example, if an instrument is playing at least quarter notes, thru most of the segment.

I can't even comprehend just playing with a click in my ear while the rest of the band doesn't hear it. When the bass player strays off tempo, I am naturally drawn to his tempo and it takes everything I have to try and pull him/them back on track. So much so that I lose focus, forget where I'm at and it stops being a pleasure :)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
It is fascinating to me reading about these click and backing tracks. I enjoy learning about how and when they are used.

.
You need to stop by my place some time Jim. I'm in Central Phoenix @ Central and Northern. I can give you a crash course. I am around most day because, well because I don't work much anymore. You allowed me to play your kit, I'd like the chance to do the same. I will also show you how to play the keyboard parts on some Doors songs :) :)


When I re entered the music scene a few years ago, a younger player mentioned that his band always used a click. My response was "I don't want to be a robot" :)

Since that time, I started using backing tracks with my 3 piece groups and the click is essential.

I have also learned that playing without a click and backing tracks is generally WAY easier. Players will ebb and flow, automatically and seamlessly adjusting to one another while the machine is very very stubborn and unwilling to compromise.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-19-2014, 03:12 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,498
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
I can't even comprehend just playing with a click in my ear while the rest of the band doesn't hear it. When the bass player strays off tempo, I am naturally drawn to his tempo and it takes everything I have to try and pull him/them back on track. So much so that I lose focus, forget where I'm at and it stops being a pleasure :)
And therein lies the primary discipline of playing with a click in a band: you do what you need to do to more easily stay on the click. You can devote your focus to the click within an overall mix, but you're right - you spend more time just trying to stay on track than you do enjoying playing. Or, you can tailor the mix so that the click is easier to follow, at the expense of listening to a somewhat unnatural mix.

The question is, do you play so you can enjoy the music, or do you play in order to make the band sound its best? Ideally, in most bands, you get to do both! BUT... the moment you introduce a click, it becomes job #1 for the drummer to synchronize with it. Period. Too bad if the balance doesn't sound right. When there's a click, it is paramount in terms of playing the song. Take it from a guy who does this for a living.

My job on stage is less about playing drums, than it is about keeping everyone in sync with the tracks & video. My need to hear a 'good' mix so I can enjoy the music is not even on the radar. You would shake your head if you knew the kinds of mixes and different clicks & tracks I deal with throughout every Al show. But I can assure you of this: I do not stray from that click.

Well, that's not completely true, I lost it once about 6 or 7 years ago. I went on auto-pilot for a moment and allowed myself to be pulled by someone else in my already-sparse mix. But that never, ever happened again.

So with the screwy mix and focus on the click, do I enjoy gigging? Yep, because I love playing the drums, and that never gets old. :)

Bermuda

Last edited by bermuda; 04-19-2014 at 03:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-19-2014, 03:45 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,498
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
I have also learned that playing without a click and backing tracks is generally WAY easier.
I'd say it's always easier! The reality is, there are a lot of situations where a track is necessary in order to sound better using standard instrumentation. There are also genres where a click is completely inappropriate, where freedom and movement and expression are key to that genre (trad jazz, for example.)

The most in-demand players are the ones who transition easily between the two.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-19-2014, 04:14 AM
New Tricks New Tricks is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,898
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Take it from a guy who does this for a living.
Even though I only ventured into this arena 2-3 years ago, I understand exactly what you are saying and I'm sure everyone attempting to do the same thing appreciates your input.

I am kind of surprised that more drummers don't work the backing tracks. In theory, it's simple because everything generally triggers at the top of the measure. If not, you can delay the sound and still trigger at the top.


Quote:
My job on stage is less about playing drums, than it is about keeping everyone in sync with the tracks & video
I'm not a professional but I can relate. I find myself playing most drum parts on autopilot and focusing more on triggering the tracks. Sometimes, it is very very simple. Other times, not so much.

Then, teaching the other players to play with tracks is a whole nother job. I like to break the tracks into segments so, if there is a meltdown, it can be corrected within a short time. In one band, we have just started exploring the possibility of playing the entire track, start to finish. It would make my job a lot easier but I've seen enough catastrophes to know it will take some work..

Any other tips you have to pass along, I'm always listening.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-19-2014, 04:46 AM
Hollywood Jim's Avatar
Hollywood Jim Hollywood Jim is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 3,543
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Great Information Bermuda !!
Finally a down to earth explanation of playing with clicks and tracks.

I am almost afraid to try it. I might not enjoy it too much.

.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-19-2014, 04:47 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,498
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
Any other tips you have to pass along, I'm always listening.
Basically, perspective is important when approaching a click. As I mentioned, attempts to hear a nice mix and follow a click don't always work, unless you're really expert at hearing several musical elements and being able to lock into just one of them - the click - regardless what else the band is doing. I'm far from perfect in that regard, so I tailor every mix in order to best lock into the click. I take a very "need to know" approach to my mixes when using a click, and prefer not to hear anything that could cause me to stray. It's not like I'm completely isolated, I can hear everything via an ambient mic and other vocal mics, but I only have certain things in my mix: the click, kick, my vocal and ambient mic, and any necessary vocals. It's not as austere as you'd imagine, but it's far from a musical mix. And that's how I literally stay on track, with only one fail in over 25 years of using a click or track on stage.

When I hear someone lament that they have trouble working with a click, my first thought is that they don't have a good mix, as opposed to not being able to keep time. If they won't make the necessary mix adjustments in order to work with a click, then they're just not ready for prime time, as the saying goes.

And, there are certainly plenty of gigs where everyone just plays live. It's not required to use a click or tracks on every gig or with every band. Some drummers will go their whole career without ever encountering a click. But those who do have to work with clicks will have more success if they take a more flexible and realistic approach with regard to their mix, and how their role as the drummer is slightly altered in the context of a band.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-19-2014, 04:48 AM
Hollywood Jim's Avatar
Hollywood Jim Hollywood Jim is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 3,543
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
You need to stop by my place some time Jim. I'm in Central Phoenix @ Central and Northern. I can give you a crash course. I am around most day because, well because I don't work much anymore. You allowed me to play your kit, I'd like the chance to do the same. I will also show you how to play the keyboard parts on some Doors songs :) :)
YES !

I would love to try playing with clicks and tracks ! I will PM you.

.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-19-2014, 04:54 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,498
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
Great Information Bermuda !!
Finally a down to earth explanation of playing with clicks and tracks.

I am almost afraid to try it. I might not enjoy it too much.

.
Thanks, and depending what you hear, and what you're playing, it can be very enjoyable!

Suppose you have percussion tracks or loops, let's say congas, shaker, and tambourine, playing some driving, grooving, funky rhythms, and that's your click. You get to play with a solid, unrelentless percussion section... how cool is that!!

Bermuda

PS - I don't think unrelentless is a word, I just like it! :)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-19-2014, 05:03 AM
New Tricks New Tricks is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,898
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
I tailor every mix in order to best lock into the click. I take a very "need to know" approach to my mixes when using a click, and prefer not to hear anything that could cause me to stray
At a charity gig last weekend, I did exactly that. I had my own mix (the SPD tracks, drums and my vocals) blaring at my side and I could hear it 100% al the time and it worked out well.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-19-2014, 05:04 AM
Hollywood Jim's Avatar
Hollywood Jim Hollywood Jim is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 3,543
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Thanks, and depending what you hear, and what you're playing, it can be very enjoyable!

Suppose you have percussion tracks or loops, let's say congas, shaker, and tambourine, playing some driving, grooving, funky rhythms, and that's your click. You get to play with a solid, unrelentless percussion section... how cool is that!!

Bermuda

PS - I don't think unrelentless is a word, I just like it! :)
Yeah, good point ! A click could be other rhythm instruments.
When you put it that way, I would still enjoy playing to a track like that.

On my open mic jam night there is a guy who sometimes plays percussion instruments with us. He will be banging on a pair of Claves for the whole song. (Except I thought he was following me... LOL )


.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-19-2014, 05:12 AM
New Tricks New Tricks is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,898
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
On my open mic jam night there is a guy who sometimes plays percussion instruments with us. He will be banging on a pair of Claves for the whole song. (Except I thought he was following me... LOL ).

I once had some tambourine playing dancing girls cozy up along side me while playing a private party gig. Damn it's hard to keep in tempo with someone next to you playing whatever they are feeling at the time.


Quote:
Yeah, good point ! A click could be other rhythm instruments.
When you put it that way, I would still enjoy playing to a track like that.
I have the other percussion parts from CTA's "I'm a Man" on the SPD. You can give that a go :)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-19-2014, 09:15 AM
frog frog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 36
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
And therein lies the primary discipline of playing with a click in a band: you do what you need to do to more easily stay on the click. You can devote your focus to the click within an overall mix, but you're right - you spend more time just trying to stay on track than you do enjoying playing. Or, you can tailor the mix so that the click is easier to follow, at the expense of listening to a somewhat unnatural mix.

The question is, do you play so you can enjoy the music, or do you play in order to make the band sound its best? Ideally, in most bands, you get to do both! BUT... the moment you introduce a click, it becomes job #1 for the drummer to synchronize with it. Period. Too bad if the balance doesn't sound right. When there's a click, it is paramount in terms of playing the song. Take it from a guy who does this for a living.

My job on stage is less about playing drums, than it is about keeping everyone in sync with the tracks & video. My need to hear a 'good' mix so I can enjoy the music is not even on the radar. You would shake your head if you knew the kinds of mixes and different clicks & tracks I deal with throughout every Al show. But I can assure you of this: I do not stray from that click.

Well, that's not completely true, I lost it once about 6 or 7 years ago. I went on auto-pilot for a moment and allowed myself to be pulled by someone else in my already-sparse mix. But that never, ever happened again.

So with the screwy mix and focus on the click, do I enjoy gigging? Yep, because I love playing the drums, and that never gets old. :)

Bermuda

THIS is so true. for 5 weeks of playing every night, i never heard a note my band played.

...all i heard was a recording of my voice saying the song title
(to make sure it was the right click) and then ''BEEP BOOP BOOP BOOP. ''

...with a rumbling sound of the rest of the band. however it never got boring as the music i was playing was pretty intense stuff (250bpm 16th's etc) so there was never a moment of boredom...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-03-2017, 03:21 PM
shreedhan shreedhan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

The music I play requires it. We're a 4-piece (guitar, bass, vocals, drums) and our recorded music has loads of additional guitar layers, synths, shakers. The only way to recreate that live without having 8 additional touring members is a backing track!

I use the stereo split method (Click in Left channel, Track in Right) and then send some track back to myself via the DI box's link channel.

We've messed up a couple of times but mainly due the guitarist or vocalist missing a count-in hit or cue.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Trip McNealy's Avatar
Trip McNealy Trip McNealy is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 940
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I'd say it's always easier! The reality is, there are a lot of situations where a track is necessary in order to sound better using standard instrumentation. There are also genres where a click is completely inappropriate, where freedom and movement and expression are key to that genre (trad jazz, for example.)

The most in-demand players are the ones who transition easily between the two.

Bermuda
This is what I pretty much practice everyday when I focus on just general drum set playing. I will play along to drumless tracks with clicks, the same tracks without clicks, and bebop jazz without clicks to get all that internalized.
__________________
I've been drumming for 38 years. I'm 37 years old.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-07-2017, 05:31 PM
funkutron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Playing With Backing Tracks Live

I tried using one of those "Human Clock" things back in the 90's in order to avoid having to use a real click. But you have to play really straight downbeat and backbeat and not do ghost notes and stuff, because it's driven by triggers on the snare and kick. If you even do a double kick it throws the sequence off by quite some margin. So now I just deal with playing to a click. The hardest part is when we get tracks that were recorded without a click and then had one added, because they speed up and slow down and you have to follow them! You have to anticipate.

Sure, it was better and probably more fun when we just played, and the drummer WAS the click! But one thing about playing to a click is no other band member can ever say you're wrong.....playing the song too fast or too slow, or rushing, etc., etc....it gives you absolute infallibility, like the Pope! LOL!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com