DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:10 PM

Default Do you tune your drums differently at a live show then you would in the studio?

Title says it all.

Just looking for different opinions. Also does your choices with heads and amounts of muffling change as well.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Do you tune your drums differently at a live show then you would in the studio?

Yes and yes. It's highly dependent on recording technique. So sometimes no and no. How's that for an answer?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Do you tune your drums differently at a live show then you would in the studio?

I tend to muffle less (or not at all) if not close miked at a show. I tend to muffle more if not miked, but in a small, reflective room. I also will tune just a scoche higher if not close miked. But as ineedaclutch said, it's all variable based on any number of things. (Sometimes I WANT a ringy, echoey sound when recording. Crazy, huh?)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
Yes and yes. It's highly dependent on recording technique. So sometimes no and no. How's that for an answer?
Perfect !! All I needed.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Yes. Tuned differently for studio and live performances.

Live: Open and un-muffled with 10mil batter heads so that the drum sound will carry out into the audience.
This will sound boingy from behind the kit, but it sounds great in the audience when the band is playing.

Studio Recording: However the engineer, producer and band leader wants them to sound. Usually tuned lower. And muffled with dampening / control rings.
These days a studio engineer can modify the drum recording to sound like anything imaginable.

The simple way is tune for live performance and bring some dampening control rings to the studio.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
Yes. Tuned differently for studio and live performances.

Live: Open and un-muffled with 10mil batter heads so that the drum sound will carry out into the audience.
This will sound boingy from behind the kit, but it sounds great in the audience when the band is playing.

Studio Recording: However the engineer, producer and band leader wants them to sound. Usually tuned lower. And muffled with dampening / control rings.
These days a studio engineer can modify the drum recording to sound like anything imaginable.

This is how I do it as well. Only exception is I use Vintage Emperors instead of single 10mil heads.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:34 PM
"Uncle Larry"

In a perfect world, my drums are tuned the same, all drums wide open. If I recorded, and I had my way, I'd record them exactly the same with the mics a few feet away at least. So I had that same atmosphere...air...and yes overtones...in my drum sound that I do live. Plus the kit sounds like a kit should...connected, sympathetically vibrating, organic, real.

Which begs the question, with a soundman or an engineer who has polar opposite thoughts on drummicing/tone, who should prevail?

Of course, naturally I would think that the guy playing should flat out be the boss of their drum sound. Especially so if said drummer has definite preferences. It's a minefield of a negotiation if ever there was. Do it wrong and it blows up in your face. But I'm sorry, I feel the engineer's job is to do get the sound the drummer wants.

A soundperson who knows only one way to get a drum sound...that's like me showing up at a gig and announcing, hey guys, I know this is a jazz gig, but I can't do that, so I'll be playing blues to your jazz arrangements. That would not fly. Same thing IMO.

I know that sounds laughable but I really mean it.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:46 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:57 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
To a point Larry, but live stage priority 1 is to deliver an overall sound that's in line with the venue's requirements + whatever delivers the best audience experience. Priority 2 is to present the band in a way that they wish to be presented within the constraints of priority 1. Priority 3 is to represent individual band member sounds as they would like them to be, but within the constraints of priorities 1 & 2.
Yes Andy, you make a great point here.
I'll bet sound people have a lot more horror stories to tell about sound and live bands, than musicians have to tell about sound people.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
To a point Larry, but live stage priority 1 is to deliver an overall sound that's in line with the venue's requirements + whatever delivers the best audience experience. Priority 2 is to present the band in a way that they wish to be presented within the constraints of priority 1. Priority 3 is to represent individual band member sounds as they would like them to be, but within the constraints of priorities 1 & 2.
This is a good point for Live situations.

On the other hand, for studio recording, it's the opposite way around. Joe Porcaro (in a MI vault video on Youtube) stressed that it's the engineer's job to capture the magic and the way that you play and your drums' sound... not for him/her to tell you how to tune your drums. I'm sure this arrangement doesn't happen for *every* single session but is probably an ethical best practice.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
The simple way is tune for live performance and bring some dampening control rings to the studio.

This has been my SOP. Especially when I go in cold, not knowing who will be at the controls.

Start with a well tuned kit. Then dampen, and EQ, as necessary to get the right sound for each track.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

The tuning is the same, but I tend to "treat" the heads with studio rings when I'm recording.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Drums can be tuned? That's where i have been going wrong.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:26 AM

I don't have a hard set rule about it, but I almost always find myself tuning a tad higher in a club as opposed to the studio or our rehearsal space.

I think I just feel better knowing I dont have to rely solely on the PA to be heard in the back. Plus you're doing the engineer a favor by freeing up some of the low end headroom.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:25 AM
Platinum Member

The nature of the studio being more microscopic in terms of how clearly everything is heard and how extra tweaking of tuning and dampening is usually required I would say yes by necessity. Although the last time I was in a studio I remember the sound came together quite quickly without much tweaking so I guess it depends on the session/engineer and the music.