DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:21 AM

Default Customizing Finished for Bum Wrap

Hi,

Has anyone gone through the process of customising finishes for bum wrap?

They do allow custom work at no extra charge, though they do provide "stock" finishes as well.

I'm looking to do a cherry/marine pearl wood inlay.

Has anyone done custom finishes before and could you explain the process/ what software I would need for this?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2017, 04:34 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Customizing Finished for Bum Wrap

I had the following wrap made by Bumwraps for no extra charge. No special software needed. I sent them photos of what I wanted and they sent me a sample. They had to make a re-vision but the second wrap was perfect as you can see. What these are, are challenge coins from the military. I copied and pasted the photos from the sellers website and emailed them with my order.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I had the following wrap made by Bumwraps for no extra charge. No special software needed. I sent them photos of what I wanted and they sent me a sample. They had to make a re-vision but the second wrap was perfect as you can see. What these are, are challenge coins from the military. I copied and pasted the photos from the sellers website and emailed them with my order.
Cool, have you done wood prints before? How realistic are they?
Old 02-26-2017, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
One of the most unique finishes I have ever seen. For as many kits that I've owned that were white, I still like the classic look of a white finish. Never goes out of style.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:44 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkyInky View Post
Cool, have you done wood prints before? How realistic are they?
I have not done wood prints but Bumwraps has. Go to the site and check their section on customer photos, or gallery to see some of the non-standard work. This company is very easy to work with.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

They are incredibly easy to work with. A few years ago, I acquired a Ludwig Standard rack tom and bass drum in Blue Strata - a wrap that simply isn't made anymore. I had a 16x16 floor tom to go with the set but no good way to make it match. After exhausting other options, I decided to create a life-sized .jpg of a blue strata wrap and Bum Wrap printed it on their wrap, which I then installed very easily. I recommend them highly (in fact, I'm working on a set of blue strata for another customer right now).

If you have a particular woodgrain you like, send them a high-quality image and they will print it for you - it's that easy. You could get the graphic from anywhere.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
They are incredibly easy to work with. A few years ago, I acquired a Ludwig Standard rack tom and bass drum in Blue Strata - a wrap that simply isn't made anymore. I had a 16x16 floor tom to go with the set but no good way to make it match. After exhausting other options, I decided to create a life-sized .jpg of a blue strata wrap and Bum Wrap printed it on their wrap, which I then installed very easily. I recommend them highly (in fact, I'm working on a set of blue strata for another customer right now).

If you have a particular woodgrain you like, send them a high-quality image and they will print it for you - it's that easy. You could get the graphic from anywhere.
That's a great looking kit!

I've managed to find wood prints on google. (:

I have trouble finding the marine white pearl print though. Do you know where I can find more prints?

Also, how did you make the .jpg? I'd like to be able to create my own to have more control on the design without the hassle of trying to explain things and having the idea lost in translation.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's a great looking kit!

I've managed to find wood prints on google. (:

I have trouble finding the marine white pearl print though. Do you know where I can find more prints?

Also, how did you make the .jpg? I'd like to be able to create my own to have more control on the design without the hassle of trying to explain things and having the idea lost in translation.
I found a black oyster pearl image online that was very similar in terms of chip size and line density to the original blue strata. I took several high-res digital photos of my existing drums and brought everything together in Photoshop. I took the existing BOP image and stretched it, then tiled it to make the correct image size. Then I used the eyedropper tool to create the correct colors and merge the tiled image into a cohesive whole. I'm a graphic designer, so this total process took about a weekend for me. Your individual results may vary.

if you choose to adapt an existing woodgrain image for your purposes, make sure you scale the image for each drum, and stay on a high resolution (at least 300 dpi). The resulting image will ahve to be shared via cloud storage, as most email services will not deliver a graphic that large (more tham 40 Mb).
Old 02-27-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I found a black oyster pearl image online that was very similar in terms of chip size and line density to the original blue strata. I took several high-res digital photos of my existing drums and brought everything together in Photoshop. I took the existing BOP image and stretched it, then tiled it to make the correct image size. Then I used the eyedropper tool to create the correct colors and merge the tiled image into a cohesive whole. I'm a graphic designer, so this total process took about a weekend for me. Your individual results may vary.

if you choose to adapt an existing woodgrain image for your purposes, make sure you scale the image for each drum, and stay on a high resolution (at least 300 dpi). The resulting image will ahve to be shared via cloud storage, as most email services will not deliver a graphic that large (more tham 40 Mb).
Ah I see. I'm not too worried about blending as I am switch the wrap for all my drums.

Will I be able to get results with this image? Or must the full image be a colour?
Image link: http://www.hazelshould.com/files/ima...re_11013_3.jpg

So from what I understand, bum wraps basically just did printing for you, all the preparations were done by yourself?

Could I tell bum wrap the sizes I need and have them scale it for me?
Old 02-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

In terms of getting a pearl wrap from them, here's a quote from http://www.bumwrapdrumco.com/faq/:

Do we sell or make pearls or glitters? No glitters period. But we do make our version of pearls. 1966 black pearl is in oyster section. Also digital versions of Oyster Black Pearl can be found in Vintage- Mod section.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are getting any sort of graphic, the graphic is proportionally sized to the drum; in other words, if you got a finish with, say bubbles, for your drum set, the size of the bubbles would be smaller on the rack tom than on the floor tom. With a pearl, it may not matter too much (I'm not sure), but I know that their "wood grain" prints and others will get bigger.

Yes, I'm a fan of bumwrap. Here are two different projects that I did:

Old 02-27-2017, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ah I see. I'm not too worried about blending as I am switch the wrap for all my drums.

Will I be able to get results with this image? Or must the full image be a colour?
Image link: http://www.hazelshould.com/files/ima...re_11013_3.jpg

So from what I understand, bum wraps basically just did printing for you, all the preparations were done by yourself?

Could I tell bum wrap the sizes I need and have them scale it for me?
If you send them that image, you will have pictures of a snare drum on your drums. You need a picture of just the texture or woodgrain you want, with nothing else in the picture. If you look at my pictures above, you can see one where I've put a picture next to a drum, and it's just the pattern? That was a snippet of the graphic I sent. Just the pattern. No drum in it at all.

Yes, I chose to do all the work and send it to them because I had the time, the skill and I wanted to get a close match to my existing drums, all three things that they couldn't necessarily do for me.

If you send them one graphic then they will scale it, but depending on what you're doing, that may not be desirable. I'm redoing my graphics for a guy who has a full set of Ludwig Standards, but I am doing it in a way that the size of the pattern stays fairly consistent on each drum, instead of being bigger/wider on the kick and smaller/tighter on the rack tom. If you were doing a woodgrain, I would recommend doing a similar self-scale.

In your picture the snare has basically a white marine pearl finish.Bum Wrap's white abalone wrap might be close enough to that to warrant a look. If you haven't looked at their designs yet, do so; you may not need to do anything special and be happy with one of their "off the shelf" designs.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:26 AM

Quote:
If you send them that image, you will have pictures of a snare drum on your drums. You need a picture of just the texture or woodgrain you want, with nothing else in the picture. If you look at my pictures above, you can see one where I've put a picture next to a drum, and it's just the pattern? That was a snippet of the graphic I sent. Just the pattern. No drum in it at all.

Yes, I chose to do all the work and send it to them because I had the time, the skill and I wanted to get a close match to my existing drums, all three things that they couldn't necessarily do for me.

If you send them one graphic then they will scale it, but depending on what you're doing, that may not be desirable. I'm redoing my graphics for a guy who has a full set of Ludwig Standards, but I am doing it in a way that the size of the pattern stays fairly consistent on each drum, instead of being bigger/wider on the kick and smaller/tighter on the rack tom. If you were doing a woodgrain, I would recommend doing a similar self-scale.

In your picture the snare has basically a white marine pearl finish.Bum Wrap's white abalone wrap might be close enough to that to warrant a look. If you haven't looked at their designs yet, do so; you may not need to do anything special and be happy with one of their "off the shelf" designs.
Ah, I see, so if the size of the rack tom wrap is 30cm x 50cm and the size of the floor tom wrap is 50cm x 90cm, I would need to send them 2 different images?

How do you determine the size of the wrap you need? Did you remove the wrap to measure or did you use math?
Old 02-28-2017, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

Probably wizardry. Maybe maths.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:53 AM
Administrator - Mayor

One photo is enough. They do the figuring. Bumwraps has a chart on their site that if you have a 14 x 6.5 drum, you fill in the size blanks and decide if you want the wrap to go all of the way to the bearing edge or make it 1/8th short on both side. I recommend 1/8th inch short. They will make the circumference long enough to have some overlap going around the drum. They will also make one piece for your bass drum so you only have one seam at the bottom. Other companies only do 54 inch so you have two pieces and 2 seams