DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-28-2015, 03:38 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 21,162
Default MF Stupid Deal of The Day

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

Pearl 4 Piece
__________________
johnny
Suum cuique tribuere....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2015, 03:39 PM
93civEJ1 93civEJ1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 263
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Nice...ive always wanted a set of green drums. I already own a pearl master set though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2015, 04:07 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,663
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

I like the Pearl Masters better than the Reference series.

This is a great deal! I'm sure they'll make someone happy! Wish it were me.

If it were a green sparkle and included the snare, I'd be more tempted.

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 10-28-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2015, 04:40 PM
Icetech's Avatar
Icetech Icetech is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 939
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Damn i love that green... i love my kit.. must not buy another :( Had no idea about the stupid deal of the day.. thanks.
__________________
He boiled for my sins...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Superman's Avatar
Superman Superman is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 1,008
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

They had this kit on sale for $1,299 forever..$999 is basically a larceny. I wish I needed another kit.
__________________
Mapex Saturn &Tama Starclassic kits
Sabian AAX &HHX Evolution
Pearl Reference&DW Collectors snares
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2015, 07:17 PM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,301
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Made in Taiwan?

I thought the MCX was a Japanese factory product.
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Tommy_D's Avatar
Tommy_D Tommy_D is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,238
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Nothing of Pearl drums is made in Japan, not even the Masterworks line anymore. Pearl is a Japanese company only because it is headquartered there. All products are made "overseas".
__________________

SOLD: PDP Concept Maple 12/16/24
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-28-2015, 08:52 PM
93civEJ1 93civEJ1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 263
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I like the Pearl Masters better than the Reference series.

This is a great deal! I'm sure they'll make someone happy! Wish it were me.

If it were a green sparkle and included the snare, I'd be more tempted.

what are your reasons you like it over the reference? Pearl drums are just so heavy duty made its crazy. The drums are heavy, they hardware is super heavy. Just all around heavy drums.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-28-2015, 11:19 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,663
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
what are your reasons you like it over the reference? Pearl drums are just so heavy duty made its crazy. The drums are heavy, they hardware is super heavy. Just all around heavy drums.
In short, shell construction.

If I want a maple kit, I want a maple kit. If I want a birch kit, I want one made of birch.

Pearl Reference toms are not made like this. I understand what they are trying to do. And who knows? They may sound good! However, I don't like the idea of mix-and-match kit at that price point. I see mixing/matching woods within the same kit as more of a have to than a want to.

In essence, here's what they do:

Our 10" and 8" toms receive 4 thin plies of Maple with 2 inner thin plies of Birch for cut and attack. And for maximum response, all 13" and smaller toms have a rounded 45 bearing edge.

Beginning with our 13" tom and larger, Mahogany is added to the inner plies to increase the lower frequencies and accentuate the warmth of the Maple. The 14" toms and larger begin using our fully rounded bearing edge for even more shell contact. Our 18" and 20" bass drums use 4 inner thin plies of Mahogany with 2 outer thin plies of Maple. As the size of the bass drums increase, so does the amount of Mahogany. Our 22" and 24" bass drums incorporate an amazing 6 inner thin plies of Mahogany surrounded by 2 outer thin plies of Maple for the ultimate in solid responsive bass frequencies.

Graphic via Pearl Drums:

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2015, 12:39 AM
Icetech's Avatar
Icetech Icetech is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Detroit
Posts: 939
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

that is very cool to see their thinking on it.. and if it works i don't care if its 15 plys of different woods:)
__________________
He boiled for my sins...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-29-2015, 02:38 AM
FritzDrummer's Avatar
FritzDrummer FritzDrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 225
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
In short, shell construction.

If I want a maple kit, I want a maple kit. If I want a birch kit, I want one made of birch.

Pearl Reference toms are not made like this. I understand what they are trying to do. And who knows? They may sound good! However, I don't like the idea of mix-and-match kit at that price point. I see mixing/matching woods within the same kit as more of a have to than a want to.

In essence, here's what they do:

Our 10" and 8" toms receive 4 thin plies of Maple with 2 inner thin plies of Birch for cut and attack. And for maximum response, all 13" and smaller toms have a rounded 45 bearing edge.

Beginning with our 13" tom and larger, Mahogany is added to the inner plies to increase the lower frequencies and accentuate the warmth of the Maple. The 14" toms and larger begin using our fully rounded bearing edge for even more shell contact. Our 18" and 20" bass drums use 4 inner thin plies of Mahogany with 2 outer thin plies of Maple. As the size of the bass drums increase, so does the amount of Mahogany. Our 22" and 24" bass drums incorporate an amazing 6 inner thin plies of Mahogany surrounded by 2 outer thin plies of Maple for the ultimate in solid responsive bass frequencies.

Graphic via Pearl Drums:

I totally understand where you are coming from! But at the same time, everyone I know who has had one loves it! I want to try one out and/or buy one when I have room for a third kit. They looked at popular masterworks combinations and thought "Why not look at every tom/drum as its own instrument and what makes it sound ideal"

Small toms get birch, medium toms maple, large toms/bass drums get mahogany.

I'm intrigued by the idea in theory. But haven't found a local place that stocks them to demo on. I keep my eye out on used ones since it's a huge buyers market right now. But I love my Pearl Masters Custom (MMX). The 4 ply maple shells are amazing, but would love to try a reference kit.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-29-2015, 05:40 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,663
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzDrummer View Post
"Why not look at every tom/drum as its own instrument and what makes it sound ideal"

Small toms get birch, medium toms maple, large toms/bass drums get mahogany.

I'm intrigued by the idea in theory.


I think that it's an interesting idea as well.

However, in theory it seems that while each drum would sound great in and of itself, would the kit sound like one instrument, or just a sum of its parts? I think I question the cohesiveness of sound (does this make sense?).

That's the #1 strength of my USA Pork Pies. I swear the summation of all the drums make it all sound like one instrument. Each tom (4 total), the snare, and the kick "match." Nothing is any louder or any softer than the other. All of the toms have the same amount of sustain, attack, tone, etc. The 16" floor tom has the same resonance as the 10" tom when tuned (same goes for the 12" and 14" toms). They sound like they belong together.

Due to the construction, I have my doubts about those Pearls. But heck, what do I know? I'm just a hack with crap ears. :)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-29-2015, 05:48 PM
FritzDrummer's Avatar
FritzDrummer FritzDrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 225
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I think that it's an interesting idea as well.

However, in theory it seems that while each drum would sound great in and of itself, would the kit sound like one instrument, or just a sum of its parts? I think I question the cohesiveness of sound (does this make sense?).

That's the #1 strength of my USA Pork Pies. I swear the summation of all the drums make it all sound like one instrument. Each tom (4 total), the snare, and the kick "match." Nothing is any louder or any softer than the other. All of the toms have the same amount of sustain, attack, tone, etc. The 16" floor tom has the same resonance as the 10" tom when tuned (same goes for the 12" and 14" toms). They sound like they belong together.

Due to the construction, I have my doubts about those Pearls. But heck, what do I know? I'm just a hack with crap ears. :)
I'll drink to that! But I understand what you're saying! I love the idea of Reference, in theory... I would love one to play around with for a bit and tune them up and play around with them to get a better feel and understanding of how well it's applied. But I don't see that happening any time soon!

So I take it you love your Pork Pie kit? I've never had the chance to play on one, no local stores stock then in the Harrisburg PA area unfortunately!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Bonzo_CR's Avatar
Bonzo_CR Bonzo_CR is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: A Brit living in Switzerland
Posts: 767
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
what are your reasons you like it over the reference? Pearl drums are just so heavy duty made its crazy. The drums are heavy, they hardware is super heavy. Just all around heavy drums.
The Masters are not heavy - at least the 'original' masters (MMX/MMP etc), which are the thin-shelled range. They sound great too.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-30-2015, 03:14 PM
93civEJ1 93civEJ1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 263
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo_CR View Post
The Masters are not heavy - at least the 'original' masters (MMX/MMP etc), which are the thin-shelled range. They sound great too.
hah, you must have not lifted some of the new ones compared to other drums then. my MCX are heavy with the diecast hoops etc.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-30-2015, 04:43 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,663
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzDrummer View Post

So I take it you love your Pork Pie kit? I've never had the chance to play on one, no local stores stock then in the Harrisburg PA area unfortunately!

Yes, they are fantastic. Now granted, I've not been around the block and played dozens of kits or anything, but I've played a few. I really love these things. I know that there are more expensive boutique drums and whatnot, but I really love mine. Their born-on date is August 1999. This is still back when they were an up-and-coming small shop with zero overseas production. I'm sure they still make a great product, but I'm happy to have a set that was made when they were a smaller company.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-30-2015, 04:52 PM
FritzDrummer's Avatar
FritzDrummer FritzDrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 225
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Yes, they are fantastic. Now granted, I've not been around the block and played dozens of kits or anything, but I've played a few. I really love these things. I know that there are more expensive boutique drums and whatnot, but I really love mine. Their born-on date is August 1999. This is still back when they were an up-and-coming small shop with zero overseas production. I'm sure they still make a great product, but I'm happy to have a set that was made when they were a smaller company.
Have you posted any pics here? Would love to see them!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-30-2015, 05:10 PM
PorkPieGuy's Avatar
PorkPieGuy PorkPieGuy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,663
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzDrummer View Post
Have you posted any pics here? Would love to see them!
Here you go!









Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Bonzo_CR's Avatar
Bonzo_CR Bonzo_CR is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: A Brit living in Switzerland
Posts: 767
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
hah, you must have not lifted some of the new ones compared to other drums then. my MCX are heavy with the diecast hoops etc.
Ah, I see what you mean!

I have an early MMX with thin shells and super hoops, not die cast. Very light.

I never really understood why they put die-cast hoops on the MMX/MMP later on, I like the sound with triple-flanged.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-03-2017, 07:25 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 6,333
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Today (2/3/2017)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupi...=2068607_51434

PDP Medium Duty Hardware Pack 5-Piece - $124.99

(was $249.99).

Seems like a good deal for someone's first hardware pack or for a spare set or whatever.
$25 per piece - can't hardly find used stuff for that price.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Superman's Avatar
Superman Superman is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 1,008
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Cool steel PP snare for $99. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?icid=210190
__________________
Mapex Saturn &Tama Starclassic kits
Sabian AAX &HHX Evolution
Pearl Reference&DW Collectors snares
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,239
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

That 2-pack of Fender bar stools is a great deal too.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Superman's Avatar
Superman Superman is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 1,008
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
That 2-pack of Fender bar stools is a great deal too.
Yeah...would be cooler if they said DW, at least that's what I read in another post.
__________________
Mapex Saturn &Tama Starclassic kits
Sabian AAX &HHX Evolution
Pearl Reference&DW Collectors snares
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-09-2017, 08:17 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 6,333
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post

I think that's the one they did around X-mas last year for the same price.
Don't know if anyone here got one though.
I haven't tried it, but I'll bet it sounds pretty decent.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-25-2017, 04:28 PM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 6,333
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

2/25/2017

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupi...=2070628_30545

Tama Superstar Classic Custom 5-Piece Shell Pack Silver Snow Metallic - $549

Five piece, 8 ply maple kit in standard sizes.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,239
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
2/25/2017

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupi...=2070628_30545

Tama Superstar Classic Custom 5-Piece Shell Pack Silver Snow Metallic - $549

Five piece, 8 ply maple kit in standard sizes.
That is a really good deal!

I'm curious about how the new Pearl Decade stacks up to these drums.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-26-2017, 01:40 AM
Superman's Avatar
Superman Superman is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 1,008
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Good deal for the Tama Drums, Greenbrier had them for under $500 all of December. Same silver color.

The PDP hardware pack isn't horrible for the price. Ok for a beginner.
__________________
Mapex Saturn &Tama Starclassic kits
Sabian AAX &HHX Evolution
Pearl Reference&DW Collectors snares
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-26-2017, 03:12 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 6,333
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Good deal for the Tama Drums, Greenbrier had them for under $500 all of December. Same silver color....
I think I missed that. This forum should have some kind of a 'deals' thread.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-26-2017, 03:48 AM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 5,487
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I think I missed that. This forum should have some kind of a 'deals' thread.
They're around, but pretty disorganized.. Gretsch Marquee's (with snare) were still $750 on eBay last I checked.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:48 AM
Superman's Avatar
Superman Superman is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Metropolis
Posts: 1,008
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I think I missed that. This forum should have some kind of a 'deals' thread.
Agreed. Except you and I seem to be the only two ppl who consistently try to share these deals.
__________________
Mapex Saturn &Tama Starclassic kits
Sabian AAX &HHX Evolution
Pearl Reference&DW Collectors snares
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-26-2017, 06:28 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwest - USA
Posts: 6,333
Default Re: MF Stupid Deal of The Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Agreed. Except you and I seem to be the only two ppl who consistently try to share these deals.
I've seen other people post stuff.

I'm pretty much done buying stuff. I just do it in case someone else might be interested.
It's become an old habit, checking prices on stuff.
Probably because I missed out on a few really good deals on things I was looking for.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com