DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:40 PM

Default In Ear Monitor Setup Question

My band is considering going to the In Ear Monitor setup to add backing tracks and a click to performances. We are a 5 piece group: Rhythm Guitar, Lead Guitar/Keys, Bass, Drums, Lead Vocals.

If I am understanding correctly, with most IEM systems, each transmitter puts out the same levels. So if the bass player wants more lead guitar and vocals coming through than I do as the drummer, we need separate transmitters.

My question is, those of you who are in groups that use IEMs, how many transmitters do you use in your band? I have talked to some friends locally and their bands have only bass and the drummer use IEMs so they only have one transmitter and they use the same levels. But I have also heard of other groups that use up to three. So I wanted DW forums take on this! Thanks everyone.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: In Ear Monitor Setup Question

Our church probably uses a dozen or so at one time.

It all depends on how many different monitor mixes you want. If everyone wants his/her own monitor mix, you need one for each band member. If you only need one or two mixes, then one or two transmitters should be fine.

We use backing tracks with Prime via an iPad. http://www.loopcommunity.com/prime
Old 02-22-2017, 07:37 PM

As a drummer, you don't "need" wireless. I use a cabled feed from the board connected to a Rolls 351 interface and wired Shure 213's, which allows me to adjust the volume to my own desire. That's the basic set up, and works well for me.

The board that we use is a Presonas board which allows remote wifi connectivity, so I also have an iPad mini that allows me to completely customize my own feed to my tastes. The way I'm using it currently, I don't need to, since I'm using my in-ears primarily to hear the vocals. I hear all the other parts on stage well enough. I do have friends that suggest using the whole system that way, so I have it available.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:19 PM

Fritz, my band has been using the IEM system for the last two years. Hopefully my description will help. Our whole set up was initiated by our bass player, who is a seasoned sound engineer. Each of the five members has their own body pack transmitter(MI pro 808).You wear the body pack on your belt and hook the IEM headphones into them. The guitar players also have wireless guitar systems, too, so they can move freely around the stage.
Each member will have their own monitor mix coming through their headphones, and can make adjustments. All the monitor mixes are controlled by a master unit, and that usually sits on the stage. Each member's mix is on a specific channel, and with the press of a button, the presets pop up so you can adjust them. Five members-five separate mixes since everyone has different preferences. Of course their are power amps and effects all hooked into the unit to facility a quality sound that is going to the individual in ears, but your rig doesn't need to be that elaborate. During the night's performance, any member can jump over to the control unit and press his channel and change settings. They are all well labeled, to prevent changing someone's else presets in the dark. The club's house sound engineer just takes everyone's DI and mixes it for the overall sound. House sound engineers don't have to worry about the monitor box mixes since the whole crew is on in ears. No more volume wars or strained vocals. To take it even a step further, I used an Ipad to control my mix along with the main board, to the left of my hi hat....so I don't have to get up from the drumkit to change stuff. Navigating on a on off a drum riser with cords everywhere, on a partially lit stage can be dangerous. Getting this type of setup isn't cheap by any means...but its worth it for all the huge advantages and the minimal hassle.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj magic d View Post
Fritz, my band has been using the IEM system for the last two years. Hopefully my description will help. Our whole set up was initiated by our bass player, who is a seasoned sound engineer. Each of the five members has their own body pack transmitter(MI pro 808).You wear the body pack on your belt and hook the IEM headphones into them. The guitar players also have wireless guitar systems, too, so they can move freely around the stage.
Each member will have their own monitor mix coming through their headphones, and can make adjustments. All the monitor mixes are controlled by a master unit, and that usually sits on the stage. Each member's mix is on a specific channel, and with the press of a button, the presets pop up so you can adjust them. Five members-five separate mixes since everyone has different preferences. Of course their are power amps and effects all hooked into the unit to facility a quality sound that is going to the individual in ears, but your rig doesn't need to be that elaborate. During the night's performance, any member can jump over to the control unit and press his channel and change settings. They are all well labeled, to prevent changing someone's else presets in the dark. The club's house sound engineer just takes everyone's DI and mixes it for the overall sound. House sound engineers don't have to worry about the monitor box mixes since the whole crew is on in ears. No more volume wars or strained vocals. To take it even a step further, I used an Ipad to control my mix along with the main board, to the left of my hi hat....so I don't have to get up from the drumkit to change stuff. Navigating on a on off a drum riser with cords everywhere, on a partially lit stage can be dangerous. Getting this type of setup isn't cheap by any means...but its worth it for all the huge advantages and the minimal hassle.
Thanks Everyone! Magic, what main unit do you guys use?
Old 02-23-2017, 04:48 AM

I want to say it was either a Mackie 32 digital mixer or possibly Allen Heath Chrome 16 or 32 channel mixer? ...not sure of the exact model, honestly. It was definitely a custom setup with all the effects, power amps, compressors,etc housed into a huge road case unit. That unit was wheeled into the club well before the show, and pretty much made the setup a breeze.It took a few months for the bass player to design, put together,and tweak..but it worked very well. I used your basic Shure 425ie headphones hooked into the mipro 808 body pack.
No one in the band had the technical knowledge to think out the design, and make it happen, though...so having a new member come in and build it from scratch was a godsend, really. If you can find a sound engineer who has the resources and knowledge....get him to join your group if possible, whether they play an instrument or not! Whether you run floor wedges, or the band through an elaborate IE system, the monitor system is a really important aspect of the live performance equation. I can't tell you how many times a bad,unclear, or inaudible monitor mix has ruined an otherwise great gig, performance-wise. Having a super loud blast of feedback shrill through the PA makes the band look bad, and unprofessional even if its not their fault.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzDrummer View Post

If I am understanding correctly, with most IEM systems, each transmitter puts out the same levels. So if the bass player wants more lead guitar and vocals coming through than I do as the drummer, we need separate transmitters.
Yes, you'll need a separate transmitter for each mix from the board. In the real world if you're using more than three mixes you'll also need an antenna combiner to tie the transmitters together to a single transmit antenna.

Also you should be aware that the FCC just sold off the frequencies above 617MHz and they will become illegal for wireless mics or IEMs in the near future (if you are in the USA). If you buy something there you will need to be replacing it in the near future so stick to the lower 500MHz bands. The wider the band the better (and more expensive generally). Drummers and probably keyboard players should consider wired IEMs. It will save you some $$$ and sound better as well.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:28 PM
JohnoWorld

Our guitarist works for shure so we use stuff like this:

https://www.shure.co.uk/products/wir...gement_network

Bafflingly complex and I really don't pretend to know how it work.

At home I use my SE-535s -https://www.shure.co.uk/products/earphones/se535