DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default Did you play pop music in the 80's?

Or even back in the 90's? Was wondering what setup of any electronics or triggers you may have used with your acoustic drums.
They've fallen out of vogue?

Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 02-23-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Did you play pop music in the 80's?

Many gigs with:
Linn Drum and Simmons SDS5
Remo Practise pads with triggers/piezos, triggering Linn and Simmons with switches to turn them off as needed.
1 Linn Pad programmed to start the Linn Drum which started the other keyboard players sequencers.
Sets for the Linn were loaded in after every set from a Radio Shack tape recorder.
That was DATA storage back then.
Fun times.

"Jeremy bender was a man of leisure, took his pleasure in the evening sun
Laid him down in a bed of roses, finally decided to become a nun."

Last edited by green glass drum; 02-23-2017 at 04:11 AM. Reason: the song
Old 02-23-2017, 04:21 AM
funkutron

I has a Tama electric kit, a "Techstar"....eventually I took the triggers out of them and mounted them on real drums, I used those Remo "Muffl" collars that you put on the bearing edge, and I bolted the Tama triggers to them...it worked GREAT!
Old 02-23-2017, 04:41 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I never used triggers on my drums, but I did do about half a tour with a Simmons kit in 1985, and also used Simmons & Roland & KAT pads to trigger aux sounds to this day. Apart from that, I never used electronics on local gigs, though I did have nice Roland V-drums and did some recording with them, but eventually sold them.

I'm not averse to electronics, but relying on them (as the entire kit for example) can lead to extra coordination with amps & monitoring, not to mention the kind of problems that plague all electric instruments - cable issues, amp issues, power surges, etc.

Bermuda
Old 02-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Matt Bo Eder

I first ventured out with a single Roland Octapad and a DW EP-1 trigger bass drum pedal, triggering a Roland R5 drum machine. That kept me in my allotted 2'x3' space on the tiny bandstands. Then in the 90s I upgraded to a Zendrum ZX triggering a Roland R8 MkII, and I got my guitar-player ya-yas out.

I loved that Zendrum, but it's technique was far away from my drumming technique, my drumming was suffering because of it.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:08 PM

I had a Pearl Syncussion 2-pad unit. It did poorly at emulating electronic drum sounds, but was amazing for special effects (claps, thunder, helicopter, siren, etc). I kick myself daily for selling that unit.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:16 PM
funkutron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QNAY0ePE4I
Old 02-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

I used to play a roland octopad and a DW E-pedal back in the 1990s.

That's as far as I took it.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:29 PM

Even though I know they have their place, I've never been a fan of electronic drums. That said, about 10 years ago a good bassist friend of mine was in an 80s themed tribute band, and their drummer used Simmons pads as toms, coupled with an acoustic snare, kick and cymbals. But I could never hear the Simmons pads, and told them repeatedly. But it was always the same every time I saw them, so I came up with a better solution.

To recreate an authentic 80s vintage look and sound without resorting to electronics, I suggested incorporating roto toms in place of the Simmons pads, preferably larger roto toms instead of the more typical 6/8/10 or 8/10/12 sizes. This would be similar to what Terry Bossio used with Missing Persons, which can be seen in their video for Mental Hopscotch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m17rt_xo9x0

Their drummer never did change his kit, and everytime I saw them, I never could hear his toms. I eventually stopped going to their shows.