DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:48 AM

Default Bringing the shine back to old shells

So I've read around the internet on different ways to make your drums shin and I'm curious as to what your guys favorite methods are and what the pros and cons to each are?
Old 02-19-2017, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Bringing the shine back to old shells

depends on the finish and what shape they are in.

I generally keep my kits relatively clean and shiny. Once a year or two, I pull off all the heads and give the shell finish a go with car wax. But lately I have started to use car detailing spray like AutoGlym Rapid Detailer on a microfibre cloth and wipe down the shells, hardware, pretty much everything but heads and cymbals with it.
I find it works nice for keeping off the dust and finger prints. (It works great keeping my motorcycle shiny after a ride too)
https://www.autoglym.com/rapid-detailer

If you are looking to deal with shells in much worse condition, I'll leave that to other people here. But this might not be the worst place to start: http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums...-shells-646968
Old 02-19-2017, 08:35 PM

Automotive detailing products, particularly profession grade stuff will provide superior results. If you have a lacquered finish, there are plenty of grades of polish that will work wonders. Lacquer is actually a relatively soft, thermoplastic finish. As such, a mild polish and hand buffing (or machine if you're careful) will bring back even the most wretched looking finish. Just be mindful to stay away from 'cutting' or 'oxidation removal' compounds as these can burn through the finish very quickly.
If it's a wrap finish with some marring, the same technique applies, but take note of marks that can catch your finger nail...often these can't be removed entirely, but can be dressed up nicely.
When clean and satisfactory, a thin coat of carnuba wax is best, but a lot of finishing glazes will bring out a nice depth. Keep this coat extra thin, most people way over apply wax which does nothing but waste product and your time.
As said above, quick detailer is fantastic for upkeep and will keep dust, fingerprints and marring away.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:09 PM

Also consider guitar polish for lacquer finishes. It's what Gretsch recommends for their drums. For chrome, the best product I've found is Nev R Dull. It gets off all the built-up residues and corrosion, and is non-abrasive, unlike many automotive products.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

I found this works great on my lacquer finishes.