DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:21 AM

Default Taking an extended hiatus

Hi Everyone,

First post here, although I've been frequenting the site for years. Nice to finally get involved.

I'm a sixty year old drummer with a history of tendinitis in both shoulders. It has been on and off for over forty years -- sometimes quite debilitating. Recently, an accident has triggered a flare-up in my right shoulder.

Now I'm considering an indefinite hiatus. This will be a break from gigging and rehearsing (first break in 37 years). I will, however, continue to practice, starting light and working my way back up. The idea is to unlearn some bad habits. I've been carrying chronic tension in my upper back since I started as a self-taught player. This is, I have no doubt, the root of my shoulder problems.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on the subject, especially from anyone who has been through this or something similar.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-14-2017, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Taking an extended hiatus

My advice is to start playing in a completely different way.
You have the skills so all you have to do is figure out a way to play that uses different muscles or at least uses your muscles (body) in a different way.

I don't mean to be morbid, but you can relearn to play sort of like you would if you had just lost a limb.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolter View Post
Hi Everyone,

First post here, although I've been frequenting the site for years. Nice to finally get involved.

I'm a sixty year old drummer with a history of tendinitis in both shoulders. It has been on and off for over forty years -- sometimes quite debilitating. Recently, an accident has triggered a flare-up in my right shoulder.

Now I'm considering an indefinite hiatus. This will be a break from gigging and rehearsing (first break in 37 years). I will, however, continue to practice, starting light and working my way back up. The idea is to unlearn some bad habits. I've been carrying chronic tension in my upper back since I started as a self-taught player. This is, I have no doubt, the root of my shoulder problems.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on the subject, especially from anyone who has been through this or something similar.

Cheers,
Dave
Good luck to you. I'm a guitar player that lurks here. I have a bone spur and bursitis in my left shoulder. Some days, I can function fine, other days I couldn't change out a ceiling light bulb.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog6653 View Post
I'm a guitar player... Some days, I can function fine, other days I couldn't change out a ceiling light bulb.
For a guitar player, it's super easy to change bulbs. You just hold onto it and the world will revolve around you! No need to twist or anything!
Old 02-14-2017, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

I need to follow this too. I have an impingement (tendinitis) in my right shoulder and a torn rotator cuff in my left. I'm 28. Hopefully there's still drumming in me yet!
Old 02-14-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
For a guitar player, it's super easy to change bulbs. You just hold onto it and the world will revolve around you! No need to twist or anything!
Got to admit that's funny right there
Old 02-14-2017, 10:55 PM

Watch metal drummers. They have to move very little to be able to play that fast for a whole show.

There is almost an art to the efficiency of movement.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

If recent trauma has increased the pain, its most likely a partially torn rotator in addition to inflammation of the associated tendons.

I have first-hand knowledge of shoulder issues as a torn rotator killed my possible shot at playing major league baseball. I did play in the minors; Rookie League, A - AA until the injury of almost a complete tear that required surgery. It took years to recover from that but forget about throwing a baseball with MLB velocity. Surgical procedures are much better today. Back then it was very invasive.

I now have a partially torn rotator, about 30%, this time in my left shoulder which kills if sleeping on my left side and can hurt pretty bad at times when playing drums. Happened while playing golf a few years back. Advil helps, so does ice along with exercise to help keep the joint strong to prevent a further tear. I get cortisone injections from time to time as well. They help immensely. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I always told that joke pertaining to Lead Singers.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:21 AM

Hey! Thanks for all the feedback! And to our guitar player friend - don't mind the comedians :)

I'm sure most are familiar with Kenny Werner's Effortless Mastery. Victor Wooten touches on some similar stuff in The Music Lesson. I'm taking that approach, i.e., getting to a meditative state and just touching the drums, doing only what I can from that state and growing it from there. It will take some patience, but I think it's the best way to ensure that I'm using my body correctly.

Cheers!

Dave
Old 02-16-2017, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

Take a chance to learn the brushes, or master them.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:46 AM

Already there! Learning I mean, not mastering.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:56 AM

Maybe reconfiguring the layout of your kit to something low. Keep the body movement minimal?

Old 02-19-2017, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarina View Post
Maybe reconfiguring the layout of your kit to something low. Keep the body movement minimal?
+1. I went through something similar in my right shoulder a few years ago. In addition to consciously sleeping with my right arm down by my side as opposed to under my pillow, and more stretching, I raised my throne, and lowered my ride in a one up two down configuration. Lowered the whole kit. Playing two up again, but left of the kick and lower.

Good luck to you, sir...