DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:35 PM

Default New DW Drums - A few questions

I recently bought a DW Performance kit. Have played it out, and am really enjoying it. I was wondering:

1. How many of you have kept the stock DW front head and play the drum with the DW pillows? I have already replaced the batter head with an EMAD. I played a ported Acquarian head for years. The front head with the pillow's aint working for me; I tried taking out the pillow and the drum sounds very boomy but huge. Has anyone tried using the stock DW front head with a kickport? Did you like it? Ideally, for now, I'd like to get the front DW head to work if I can. It doesn't have a muffling ring on it.

2. How many of you kept the original DW coated/clear heads? If not, what heads do you use?

3. Do you guys keep the DW head on the snare with the dot on the underside? I have to say, the snare on this kit sounds fantastic.

4. I am trying the play the kit with offset toms, since it's a virgin bass drum. Played out twice like this. It will take some getting used to. For those who made the switch to offset toms, how long did it take for you to get used to it?

Thanks...
Old 02-10-2017, 06:50 PM

Default Re: New DW Drums - A few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerCA35 View Post
I recently bought a DW Performance kit. Have played it out, and am really enjoying it. I was wondering:

1. How many of you have kept the stock DW front head and play the drum with the DW pillows? I have already replaced the batter head with an EMAD. I played a ported Acquarian head for years. The front head with the pillow's aint working for me; I tried taking out the pillow and the drum sounds very boomy but huge. Has anyone tried using the stock DW front head with a kickport? Did you like it? Ideally, for now, I'd like to get the front DW head to work if I can. It doesn't have a muffling ring on it.

2. How many of you kept the original DW coated/clear heads? If not, what heads do you use?

3. Do you guys keep the DW head on the snare with the dot on the underside? I have to say, the snare on this kit sounds fantastic.

4. I am trying the play the kit with offset toms, since it's a virgin bass drum. Played out twice like this. It will take some getting used to. For those who made the switch to offset toms, how long did it take for you to get used to it?

Thanks...
1. I kept the stock resonant head and replaced the batter head with a PS3.
I have a protection racket mute in there- it sounds beefy.

2. Toms replaced with coated Emperors batter side, resonant is a clear Ambassador.

3. Snare head replaced with CS reverse Dot, resonant is a clear Ambassador..

4. I do the same and it took no time at all- I like having the ride close to me, I'd rather sacrifice a tom than to put the ride further away.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerCA35 View Post

Thanks...

You have excellent taste!
I use the stock DW reso and pillow. Works well with the SK1 batter. I did move the pillow so it's barely touching the batter. I left the stock heads on the toms because the sound was perfect right out of the box.
I bought a few DW reverse dot heads for my DW brass snares. They sound great on these shells. 5x14 Vintage Brass in this pic.
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2017, 07:22 PM

1. Stock reso head and pillow, Hated Emad so back to stock.
2. Suede emperors over ambassadors
3. Stock reverse dot on snare. (Different snare in pic)
4. I use a rack, so no offset

Old 02-11-2017, 10:02 PM

Thanks a lot, guys! Great photos of your kits too.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:17 PM

I don't play DW, but I don't keep the stock heads on any of my drums. If you want to ditch the stock kick reso but want to keep the DW logo, I'm sure you can get a logo sticker from eBay or maybe from DW themselves. I use an Aquarian Regulator with a 4" factory port; I like it a lot.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:33 PM
The SunDog

DW supplies the best stock heads. That said I play clear Emperors over Ambassadors on my toms. I do use the Remo/DW coated snare head. On my 24" bass drum I have an Emad II behind a stock DW vintage logo reso. I replaced the pillow with a piece of black eggshell acoustic foam. It does essentially the same thing as the pillow but a little less muffled and I think it looks better. Heres the thing, to me the best bass drums I've ever heard always have the stock reso on. Why would I ever change that!