DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:48 AM

Default Why Do I Play Drums?

In a few words, would you be so kind as to succinctly give the top reason(s) why you play the drumset?

Thanks so much!
--BD
Old 02-10-2017, 04:57 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why Do I Play Drums?

Because I can and I really enjoy it.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:03 AM

I think everyone enjoys exercising their God-given talents. Personally, when I'm drumming it feels like it's what I was born to do, and when I'm not drumming I'm looking forward to the next rehearsal. These statements only apply to playing with other musicians. Practicing alone is far less compelling.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:19 AM
Gold Member

Because guitars break when beaten with sticks! In all seriousness, it's about the only time my brain is busy enough to shut out the rest of the world. It's the best pressure releaser on the planet. The fact that it's so dang fun is the icing. :)
Old 02-10-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhadrummer View Post
In a few words, would you be so kind as to succinctly give the top reason(s) why you play the drumset?

Thanks so much!
--BD
Just got home from seeing Dennis Chambers play and I'm honestly asking myself that very question!
Old 02-10-2017, 06:21 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Here are the reasons from 11 years ago. I bet most are the same.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...de+start+drums
Old 02-10-2017, 06:32 AM
Gold Member

It's my happy place.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 AM
Silver Member

Cause chicks dig drummers.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

I donít know why.
I was born to play the drums. I started playing at about 3 years old. My Dad was a drummer. I donít even remember learning how to play.
I played until I was 20 years old. Then I completely stopped playing. 45 years later I picked up the sticks and it came back with a vengeance.

I swear, I tried to quit. I do remember at 20 years old the withdrawal symptoms were terrible.
You tell me, why do I play drums? In my case itís a complete and total addiction.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

It gives me pleasure. Why else?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
It gives me pleasure. Why else?
Same here. Probably doesn't give as much pleasure to anybody else though - the way I play, I mean, not the way Mike plays!

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:03 AM
JohnoWorld

It's my tribal instinct, but also the first time i got behind a kit, I could hold a simple beat.

Coordination of limbs is one of my strengths. It's like driving (a manual car) except your canvas is the road instead of a stave
Old 02-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
Same here. Probably doesn't give as much pleasure to anybody else though - the way I play, I mean, not the way Mike plays!
No, I am right with you on that. It still matters not, though. As long as we enjoy what we do all is good. I would rather be middling at something and love it than be an obsessive chop merchant who is never happy regardless of how much they play.

As my old Mum was fond of saying "You only really NEED to be two things in life, happy and healthy."
Old 02-10-2017, 11:58 AM
funkutron

If I didn't play drums, I'd probably be public enemy number one! It channels my rage into something useful that people, most notably females, seem to like. I probably have ADD or ADHD and always did, but back in my day, they didn't know what it was, they just told you that you were a naughty boy! To this day I can't sit down and read a whole book, I lose my concentration very quickly. But I love music if it's good (I have a lot of trouble liking a lot of the new music though because it's NOT) and I have always been drawn to drumming, when I see a band I notice the drummer, always did. And drumming is the only thing I ever was able to stick with. (No pun intended!)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

I play drums with my really good friends because it's cheaper than therapy.

I play drums at church because it's my ministry.

Then after I play at church, I play drums with my really good friends because it's cheaper than therapy.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:10 PM

I've not found anything else that is as much fun!
Old 02-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

As others have said, It's just so much fun. Also for me though, it's incredible to be able to "communicate" and "connect" with other individuals without speaking. When I lock in with the bassist and the others all join in...no words are spoken yet, we're all connecting and understanding each other. Such a great feeling.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Nothing else makes my brain work so hard in a good way. Coordination, time, external music influence, pattern application, planning ahead, and creativity all at once.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:54 PM

I'm too lazy to stand up while I play music.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Drumming makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!
Old 02-11-2017, 07:48 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Yeah, I'm looking for why you play, what keeps you engaged in the act of playing, not so much the reasons that may have inspired you to begin.

So far the responses:
+ because I can
+ it's fun, I enjoy it
+ born to play
+ it releases pressure
+ addicted to it
+ tribal instinct
+ channels energy positively
+ it's therapeutic
+ communicate / connect / understanding
+ brings all parts of ourselves together for a unified purpose
Old 02-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

Playing drums mellows everything going on in my world...
Old 02-11-2017, 05:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

That's easy. I like making people dance, especially women. Their hips mesmerize me when they dance. So naturally I prefer to play in a manner that makes it really easy to dance. It's my secret power.

Drums are the best instrument for me because I understand....completely.... how loud, obnoxious and repelling they can be, so I try and tame the instrument, so it gracefully adds to the music instead of detracting. A bull in a china shop is not my idea of good drumming. Yet that's what I see mostly.

I boiled it down to this: I play for everyone else's benefit, period. Meaning the singer, the lead player, the rhythm section, and the dancing public. Then drumming becomes greater than the sum of it's parts, that's my goal. That's my secret weapon, to play for the others benefit, and turn upside down the general perception of drummers.

I even have an equation: 80% listening 20% playing. Listening to everything else is #1 in my head. It dictates what I play, at what volume.

Excluding myself from the playing equation brings me everything I seek, in abundance...which is basically approval and recognition for doing my job in a positive way. It's a backwards approach from what I normally see, which is drummers who are still playing their self important drum part and missing the big picture that is the music of the song.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:19 PM
funkutron

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
That's easy. I like making people dance, especially women. Their hips mesmerize me when they dance. So naturally I prefer to play in a manner that makes it really easy to dance. It's my secret power.

Drums are the best instrument for me because I understand....completely.... how loud, obnoxious and repelling they can be, so I try and tame the instrument, so it gracefully adds to the music instead of detracting. A bull in a china shop is not my idea of good drumming. Yet that's what I see mostly.

I boiled it down to this: I play for everyone else's benefit, period. Meaning the singer, the lead player, the rhythm section, and the dancing public. Then drumming becomes greater than the sum of it's parts, that's my goal. That's my secret weapon, to play for the others benefit, and turn upside down the general perception of drummers.

I even have an equation: 80% listening 20% playing. Listening to everything else is #1 in my head. It dictates what I play, at what volume.

Excluding myself from the playing equation brings me everything I seek, in abundance...which is basically approval and recognition for doing my job in a positive way. It's a backwards approach from what I normally see, which is drummers who are still playing their self important drum part and missing the big picture that is the music of the song.
Yeah, I play a helluva lot better when there's women on the dance floor moving their naughty bottoms! That's what keeps ME going!
Old 02-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkutron View Post
Yeah, I play a helluva lot better when there's women on the dance floor moving their naughty bottoms! That's what keeps ME going!
Oh, those naughty bottoms! That's always a good thing. ;)
Old 02-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

Because there's no feeling like it.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:46 PM
funkutron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Oh, those naughty bottoms! That's always a good thing. ;)
Sometimes I've gotten "in the door" with those naughty girls because of my musician status, and I've been able to SMACK those naughty bottoms! It's really funny how many girls enjoy that! Maybe because they all KNOW they're NAUGHTY! LOL! (But I'm happy to oblige them!) As drummers, we are the "ultimate" smackers of bottoms! Think about it!
Old 02-12-2017, 12:33 AM

Ok, ok, settle down now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
That's easy. I like making people dance...I play for everyone else's benefit, period. Meaning the singer, the lead player, the rhythm section, and the dancing public. Then drumming becomes greater than the sum of it's parts, that's my goal. That's my secret weapon, to play for the others benefit...

Excluding myself from the playing equation brings me everything I seek, in abundance...
Yes. Totally agree. I say that drumming is social event with the sole purpose of lifting others higher.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:25 AM
funkutron

Quote:
Ok, ok, settle down now.

Yes. Totally agree. I say that drumming is social event with the sole purpose of lifting others higher.
Life Is! That's why the "spirit" became the FLESH! To ENJOY the TRIP! Nature is harsh....folks are being EATEN by predators. The Human Being is the only creature who can realize what we can. (Although my Cats are quite sentient, I have no doubt!) We are the ultimate pleasure seekers. That's why they will never wage a successful "war on drugs" (the drugs that "big pharma" doesn't own, anyway!) -because "ever since we lost our innocence, we've been trying to get it back". No good sending ME to "rehab" mate, I'd have everybody there back on the sauce and whatever else! From a purely philosophical standpoint!
Old 02-12-2017, 05:40 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:

This is great. The only thing I'd change is the spelling of sole to soul.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkutron View Post
Life Is!
Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!
Old 02-12-2017, 05:12 PM

I happened to grow up in a household where music was playing almost constantly. My older siblings were all way into listening to music, but somewhat interestingly no one played an instrument (my oldest brother has dabbled in guitar over the years, but really only knows a handful of chords). Even at an early age I was always fascinated by the drums and drummers. I was maybe 12 years old, and was hanging out with a friend after school one day who played drums. I was watching him play his kit, and he asked if I wanted to give it a try. So I sat down, and I could somewhat hold a steady beat. He said to me that he didn't know I was also a drummer; I said "me neither!" I asked my parents if they could take me to get a pair of drumsticks, and away I went. 44 years old, still playing, still gigging, still love it. I try to instill in my kids that playing an instrument is something you can enjoy doing your entire life; the jury is out on whether they're buying in lol. They're young, plenty of time.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

It's my therapy. I get to hit things legally.