DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:17 PM

Default Notation/playing question

I'm asking this because as a largely self-taught drummer a lot of notation nuances fail me: I'm using 6 stroke doubles, sometimes 8 stroke doubles in my fills around the kit, not difficult-usually 24 stroke totals in single measures of 4/4(each set of 6 or 8 on a different drum.) Are these referred to as sextuplets, octuplets etc.?
Old 02-06-2017, 10:15 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Notation/playing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfingers View Post
I'm asking this because as a largely self-taught drummer a lot of notation nuances fail me: I'm using 6 stroke doubles, sometimes 8 stroke doubles in my fills around the kit, not difficult-usually 24 stroke totals in single measures of 4/4(each set of 6 or 8 on a different drum.) Are these referred to as sextuplets, octuplets etc.?
I'll give this a shot.

If you are getting 24 strokes in a measure of 4/4, that's 6 strokes per beat, which is 2 triplets per beat, that you're stroking as doubles. Straight time fills (without getting complicated) would either be 4,8,16 or 32 strokes in a measure of 4/4...multiples of 4. The same example phrased as triplets, that would have 3,6,12 or 24 strokes in a measure....multiples of 3.

So six double strokes, (which you may not realize that you're phrasing as triplets)...you are in reality playing 16th note triplets. You could play them with singles or doubles and they are still 16th note triplets.

A sextuplet is 6 strokes, triplet feel.

An octuplet would be 8 strokes, straight time feel.

But you are playing 16th note triplets in your example of 24 strokes per bar, stroked as doubles.

Now if you play 8 sets of doubles per bar, it is not triplet feel, because 3 doesn't go into 8 evenly. You are in reality playing straight 16th notes, but again, you are stroking them as doubles, perfectly fine, either way works.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

It sounds to me like you're just playing double-strokes, which I think in most music you see would tend to resolve into 16ths or maybe 32nds if it's a quick-ish tempo. 3's or 6's are kept track of because they are groups of notes with a specific value, not because they are played over a certain number of bars, but because they differ from the rest of the assumed note groupings.

You can have 3 notes between a quarter note and it might not be a triplet. (such as 3 16th notes in a row) The same is true in reverse. The sticking you play them with is totally irrelevant to the note groupings as well.

In your case, unless there was some reason I'm not seeing, you'd have no reason to group those doubles into a weird note grouping unless you have a music purpose to doing so; as in, "you intend these notes to be played in a different grouping".
Old 02-07-2017, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the explanations. Now I'm just a little bit less confused!
I can "feel" the difference between "straight" time and the triplet feel and have wondered what it was called-especially after thinking about the thread with 5 stroke roll triplet lessons.