DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-14-2016, 10:46 AM

Default Better tone from the drum kit

Here is one of my exercises ,for better tone from the drums.http://fandalism.com/tonicannelli/d87k
Old 10-15-2016, 02:46 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Better tone from the drum kit

Good tips, but I bury my pedal, always have, so I tune accordingly. I can get solid or boom whichever you wish.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:27 AM

I find buy letting the beater out, gives you more bottom end .
Old 10-15-2016, 02:02 PM

I like my kick to be pretty resonant - not so muffled - and play beater off. That way you can bury the beater as a shortening effect when desired. I guess you could do similar things on other drums as well.

You can also press harder and raise the pitch. I guess that I get this from playing congas where you have what we call a muff which may better be described as a press tone. If done correctly it creates a short and nicely rounded tone. This requires a different placement and shape of the hand on the drum and practice of course. Otherwise it just makes a dead sounding plup sound. Something you hear more in Rumba than Salsa players.

I don't really get the whole sliding your foot around on the kick pedal thing. I play heel down. It seems like wasted motion to me.

Bearing in mind that I've only been playing kit for little over a year and all of this is definitely a work in progress.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:06 PM

Sliding the foot is like Moeller technique , you get two notes for one motion.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicannelli View Post
Ummm your foot goes down to propel beater to head, comes back up to allow spring to return beater, foot goes down for second note and returns. That would be 4 motions.

So you are sliding your foot up the inclined footplate? Is that what it is? It's still 4 motions if you include returning back to the starting position.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:15 AM

If you wear Doc Martin shoes , it feels effort less.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
If you wear Doc Martin shoes , it feels effort less.
If Donald Trump takes you out to lunch and pays for it he's gonna want to grab something later.

In other words. There is no free lunch.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

How is it four motions you place you toe down on bottom of pedal for first hit then as you slide up the beater lifts and then goes down as your heel comes down in a stomp. So toe slide stomp on heel-one motion two beats-isn't it?
Old 10-16-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
How is it four motions you place you toe down on bottom of pedal for first hit then as you slide up the beater lifts and then goes down as your heel comes down in a stomp. So toe slide stomp on heel-one motion two beats-isn't it?
I am counting hits and rebounds as a full cycle which leaves you ready for the next bass drum note. So for two notes the beater goes back and forth twice which would call for the pedal foot plate to go down and then up twice which would equal 4 motions no matter how you slice it.

If all of this slip sliding stuff works for you all, great. But you don't get the pedal to make 4 motions with one foot motion. Now maybe if you are making a true circle or ellipse with your foot, but you muscles don't really work that way.

Think about the internal combustion engine in your car. It's called a 4 stroke cycle. It goes up and down twice.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:41 PM

I picked up this technique from the late great Jeff Porcaro, who always had a great drum sound.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:51 PM

check out 9.25.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMOjR_Cf96k
Old 11-02-2016, 08:27 PM

He's burying that beater like Willie the Wimp in his Cadillac coffin! But I hear what your saying, I'm working on not burying the beater--difficult.

Dig those mics too, that AKG pencil on the snare is one of the brightest mics around and the large condensers look like olden Tuchel connectors, I'm guessing vintage 87s. Soundman is not screwing around, those are some nice mics on those Pearls. Back when everyone was looking for bright for tape. Now that I watch again, I can't tell if its the AKG, could be the classic Neumann km84, but bright nonetheless.

Thanks, Toni. Appreciate the tips!

Last edited by Tone Laborer; 11-02-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Sorta...with return to start position it comes to 2 notes for 2 moves.( I still think it's 2 toe taps with a slide up motion.)

If you just do doubles heel down it's also 2 notes for 2 moves but you're always ready and in the "start" position.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:44 AM

In order to operate the pedal, you need to deliver downward force to the pedal board. You can feel this force as a kind of impulse through your foot.

Now imagine that you jump. In order to lift yourself into the air, you need to push up off of the ground, creating an impulse. When you land, you also push up off the ground. That would be two impulses for one motion. In the immortal words of Buddy Rich "Because of gravity, stupid."

This is the basic mechanics of sliding, heel-toe and constant release. All different names for essentially the same thing.

You can look at the form as different motions, but the jist is that one motion powers and prepares for the next instead of having a repeated cycle of identical movements.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

As with many other things I think it varies with the situations we've usually found ourselves in.

The average rock player today probably buries theater and just makes the adjustments to make a consistent sound.

There are many less aggressive styles where getting the right feel might be helped by being able to both mute and let it ring.

Personally, I generally bounce of. I really apply the principles of the hands and playing barefoot on a pretty loose pedal I'm probably more sensitive. Burying doesn't feel too good.

All the two for one things are essentially the same principle. Again I do what one would call the costant release as that feel the best for my foot and I really only use it for certain doubles and offcourse as the technique lends itself to accenting the 2nd note it the choice for samba playing. It doesn't feel easier if you're not used to the motion, but when you get it down, it sure beats having to do it heel down all night.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Shouldn't that be 3 notes? Down, tap, up :) Only kidding makes perfect sense to me!

Seriously though, play off the bass drum as standard, use burying the beater as you would a drums stick, only for effect. Same as feathering a bass drum.

The amount of energy you save by not burying the beater makes it worth it and speed, power and tone come with it