DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Default Remo drums

Bring back Remo drums ! I used to demo them years ago ,they were well priced and sounded great.Regards Toni Cannelli http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQs9fkO4a70
Old 01-07-2014, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Remo drums

I thought Remo still sold drums (crown series) I know I played a brand new one a few years back. I really dug the sound it was really round, and warm sounding. However I'm still not sure about how well they would stand up being lugged around gig to gig with the Acousticon material.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

I liked my old Remos quite a lot, but had to sell them when I moved cross-country. I only owned them a few years, but they sounded good and held up well during that time.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

As far as I know, they still make 'em. Bebop, Fusion, and European models, made out of Advanced Acousticon. Check they're web site. http://www.remo.com/portal/products/index.html
Old 07-03-2015, 10:45 PM

Another set of Remo drums brought back to life and still sounding good. It actually was Drum kit of the month in December of 2002. I am a novice/newbie/wannabe drummer. Although I am still struggling to play 16th note triplets better than 85 bpm, I could not resist the deal on this 9 piece Remo set. I was looking for a simple acoustic to accompany my Roland TD15; however, I found this Remo Mastertouch set complete with gibraltar rack and about 13 cymbals for not much more money. I could not resist.

The TD15 has great sounding software, nice feeling drum pads, but I quickly noticed there was a weakness in the cymbal and hi hat triggers and software levels. I felt an Acoustic set was needed to really get the feel of making all the different sounds possible with the hi hat and cymbals. This Remo set really sounds good in my novice opinion and will certainly suit my purpose.

The cymbals were mainly effects and china and an old ZBT set. I have since spent about twice what I paid for the drums on upgrading the main cymbals to Zildjian A or better. Man, cymbals are expensive! I only bought Three new cymbals, four others were used.

I am glad I bought the Acoustic set as I was heading down a bad road on my electric set kick drum technique. You can sink the beater against the head on the the TD15 and still get great sound. Of course that does not work on the acoustic set. I am still a bit frustrated with my kick technique and still in the experimental stage with pedal settings. I am wondering replacing the old Gibraltar Intruders (80's vintage) will help. I am just going to keep practicing for now to see If I can make these pedals work.

The toms have Remo Power Stroke 4s tuned to about 77 batt and clear diplomats resos at 79 on a Drum Dail. Ebony Pinstripes would look great on the set, but I do not want to ruin the good sound. Maybe they would sound even better? I guess I will experiment with the 12" tom.

If you have now or in the past a good amount of experience with Remos, I would like to hear what you found best on the head selection and tuning.
I like the sound of the drums now, but the heads are pretty beat and I wonder if they would sound even better with new heads.

Check out the MP3 to get an idea of what they sound like. Level is low so turn up your volume.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Untitled Session 5_mixdown.mp3 (4.54 MB, 33 views)

Last edited by Remoman; 05-25-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: update sound file and pictures
Old 07-04-2015, 12:39 AM
Gold Member

I always like the way the original Acousticon shells sounded. I haven't heard the Advanced models. The originals responded to head varieties and various tunings better than most wood-shelled drums. Some of the old curved lugged models looked quite nice, too, but Remo never worked on developing a reputation at building professional level drums. Their emphasis was always on economy models with poor wraps and very ugly lugs. I'd very much like to see them produce some pro level products. They definitely have a good shell material to work with.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 07-04-2015, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

I played a Remo kit at a recording studio a few years ago.
I was recording a track with a fusion band that was going on a benefit album for the victims of Sandy Hook Ct.
That was the kit that the studio had mic-ed up so I decided to use it.
They were warm, powerful, and very tunable. I was surprised. They were a bit dry for my tastes though. They reminded me of early Pearl Exports. They got the job done nicely but they didn't have a unique personality that I would write home and tell mama about. They were kind of plain sounding. I did like them. I don't think that I would buy a Remo kit though.
They couldn't hold a candle to my 65 Slingerland kit. That is my sweetheart!

I found a pic of me playing them that day.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2015, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

I imagine if Remo started making sets again, all the manufacturers who use their heads would balk.
That's probably why they stopped. Sonor started making their own heads because of Remo getting into the business.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
As far as I know, they still make 'em. Bebop, Fusion, and European models, made out of Advanced Acousticon. Check they're web site. http://www.remo.com/portal/products/index.html

Checked the link (1 & 1/2 years later).

They are making Gold Crown and Mondo snares - no kits.

The Mondos look kind of interesting. Watched a youtube demo of it.
Don't know if I'd put down the cash for it at this point though.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Young View Post
I imagine if Remo started making sets again, all the manufacturers who use their heads would balk.
That's probably why they stopped. Sonor started making their own heads because of Remo getting into the business.
They stopped because it was rare for anyone to ever buy one.

In all my years of working in drum shops, I can only think of two Remo sales: One Bozzio kit, sold at a Bozzio clinic in 90/91, right after Terry himself played it.

and

A kit that was sold well under wholesale just to get rid of it. The manager was so happy to have that kit gone, because it had been sitting there for years, I actually got a bonus out of it.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

A shop that I worked at sold Remo stuff for a time. The stuff sounded good, but it never took off. I recall people thinking it was cheaply made stuff...I think the shell hardware felt cheap.

I remember one customer who managed to get the shell or bearing edge a little wet. The acousticon material separated really quick and couldn't be repaired. Not that any drums should be waterproof, but it was like the individual pieces of shell material expanded and fell apart.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

I played on

Now I own a set of Eddie Morales Signature Tuff E NUff Conga's and Valencia Bongo's:

All great very good sounding products and they can handle rough handling like a pro.

I think its also a case of unknown, unloved. Its superthough, not too heave and easy to tune.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Matt Bo Eder

I had a black Acousticon set in my distant past that I thought sounded great. I was sorta influenced when I attended a clinic in the mid-80s that featured Rob Carson, Ndugu Chancellor, and Louie Bellson at a local music store (now that I look back on it, how lucky I was to live in a town where things like this happened only 15 minutes from my home!). Later, I wasn't impressed with the sound Bozzio was getting out of his kit, but when Ricky Lawson played them with Steely Dan, that was a great sound too. Mine did seem to sound best with the quintessential 80s head set-up: clear pinstripes over clear ambassadors. This was before the Powerstroke3 heads too and I had pinstripes and the remo muff'l on the bass drum. But as jazz drums, they sounded great with regular ambassadors too - I saw Sherman Ferguson playing them and he said in an interview that the drums survived a tour better than the cases!

They were a little disconcerting though - they were spun out of pulp, so they smelled of glue, and the shell hardware was a little suspect and cheap, but that was their selling point. If you recall, these began their existence with the Remo PTS system, which was basically the same shells that you clipped Remos' Pre-Tuned heads to. A music store I worked at had a PTS kit on the floor and it sounded good as long as the heads were new, but over time as they stretched out, you'd have to get new ones.

I think this time in the 80s was Remo experimenting, and now they've settled into what they offer today. I love their congas and the fiberskyn heads, those are totally viable alternatives to real-wood congas and bongos.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:38 AM

Matt Bo Eder thanks for the input on the heads you were using. I have played around with different heads on the 12" tom. There is not a great difference between the clear pinstripe and power stroke 4. The ebony emperor was a higher tone with more ring, but not unpleasant ring. The Ebony Pinstripes are darker sounding than the clear and of less volume. I went ahead and put these on. Even though they sound a bit different, I can not say its better or worse, just different. The lower volume is not an issue since I am playing in my house only. The ebony covers do look great and still sound good.

I have noticed the hardware on these Remo Mastertouch drums is mainly Gibraltar hardware. It seems plenty sturdy to me. Changing heads I noticed all the bearing edges seem to be in good shape. I am able to tune all the head lugs to within 0.5 of each other on the drumdial without much trouble. I have bought Moon gel and studio rings, but I have found I like the tones of the drums and have not really been using the said muffling.

I am hoping to get a pro or two to check out my setup and give advice in the near future once I get back from a business trip. In the mean time, I am really enjoying these drums.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:28 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoman View Post
Matt Bo Eder thanks for the input on the heads you were using. I have played around with different heads on the 12" tom. There is not a great difference between the clear pinstripe and power stroke 4. The ebony emperor was a higher tone with more ring, but not unpleasant ring. The Ebony Pinstripes are darker sounding than the clear and of less volume. I went ahead and put these on. Even though they sound a bit different, I can not say its better or worse, just different. The lower volume is not an issue since I am playing in my house only. The ebony covers do look great and still sound good.

I have noticed the hardware on these Remo Mastertouch drums is mainly Gibraltar hardware. It seems plenty sturdy to me. Changing heads I noticed all the bearing edges seem to be in good shape. I am able to tune all the head lugs to within 0.5 of each other on the drumdial without much trouble. I have bought Moon gel and studio rings, but I have found I like the tones of the drums and have not really been using the said muffling.

I am hoping to get a pro or two to check out my setup and give advice in the near future once I get back from a business trip. In the mean time, I am really enjoying these drums.
Glad to help. They're not bad drums, and in fact, I used to joke that in the 80s, they sounded more like Yamaha Recording Customs than Yamaha Recording Customs did ;) You know, that whole, Steve Gadd kinda' dead sound, which I think gave birch a bad name back then. But then come to think of it, Gadd sounded like that on all the drums he's played, so maple should've gotten a bad rap too.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:33 PM

I used to hang around in a drum shop in the late 80's in NE England and they did a lot of Remo kits made from the original Acousticon. There were 516 and 316 shells and I seem to recall that this was the thickness, 5/16" and 3/16".

They sounded fantastic, particularly the bass drums and the piccolo snares. However the 8" Encore snare that came as standard with the kits was an absolute dog and impossible to get to sound good. They were always boxy and lifeless. I did see someone use a falam head on one cranked up and that sounded pretty decent but the shell eventually gave way under the tension after a few months. The shop had a number of these snare drums and they were impossible to shift.

The snares got better as they got shallower and as I've said, the piccolo is still a great sounding drum.

Their real problem was the hardware, made out of a mix of cottage cheese and snot from what we could see. Everything stripped on them, tom holders, floor tom legs, bass drum legs....

A shame as the sound was very good indeed. and of course who can forget the kits with exotic cars on and some with exotic ladies on too!
Old 07-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

''who cares about sound and hardware''

''drops on his knees and worships this moment''

:D
Old 07-10-2015, 03:36 PM

MusiQman, very cool indeed! Now there was a guy who knows a good beat when he hears it. Your Remos look top knotch, like endorsed drums. I would be very interested in learning how you had yours set up as far as heads, tuning, ect. Obviously at your level, Remo would have tried to make sure your set up was the best.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoman View Post
MusiQman, very cool indeed! Now there was a guy who knows a good beat when he hears it. Your Remos look top knotch, like endorsed drums. I would be very interested in learning how you had yours set up as far as heads, tuning, ect. Obviously at your level, Remo would have tried to make sure your set up was the best.

Thanks for the response :D

The Remo Bop kit is in our local rehearsal space, the second is the now closed Bad Cuyp a jazz orientated club/cafe.

I didn't do anything myself regarding to fine tunig or something like that. Just played and tuned a bit when needed.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:12 PM

There are Remo acousticon kits in bop sizes in several of the rehearsal studios at the union hall in Hollywood. They sound great, but the hardware hasn't held up well. Then again, so many people use and abuse them that it shouldn't be a surprise that the hardware is in pretty funky condition.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:04 AM

Here is the latest version of my Late 80's vintage Remo MasterTouch kit. The 30 year old kit is sounding better and better as I learn more. Changed the tom heads out to ebony pinstripes. The sound did not change much, but they seem to have a little less volume and more attack.

I also have dialed in the two bass drums to be closer in tune with each other. I have rigged up eight mics and a Presonus USB 18 attached to my laptop that works good. The mics are no name brand except for the bass which is the Shure Beta 52A and the Snare which is a good Audio-Technica.

I have more than quadrupled my investment in this kit by going crazy on filling the rack with quality cymbals. Only 4 of the 22 cymbals are from the original kit which had many ZBT cymbals. Thank goodness for Craig's list and other used markets. I have only purchased two new cymbals. I had enough arms and clamps to hang 13 cymbals, so I have had to buy some hardware.

I changed out the bass pedals to the Pearl 930s which have helped my double bass drumming tremendously. The old 80s vintage Gibraltar pedals where tough to get moving.

Other extras like Roland sampler, remote pad trigger, Roto Toms have added to the fun. I have updated the pictures and sound file in message #5 if your curious what they sound like.
Attached Images