DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 01-07-2016, 07:25 AM

Default Replace Mesh Snare For Non-Mesh?

I have a Roland TD 11k, and I'm not liking the mesh snare. Is this as simple as just slapping on a textured silicone drum head? I actually prefer Yamaha's snare drum feel as opposed to my current Roland TD11k.

After 10 months of HEAVY playing...I still can't bounce sticks properly off mesh. In fact, I'd go as far as to say I hate the feeling of mesh on the snare. So what are my options??
Would my roland kit even read a yamaha snare if it were plugged in, instead of the stock Roland snare?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Replace Mesh Snare For Non-Mesh?

I found a $13 Textured (Silicone??) drumhead on ebay.
That should do the trick...... The inexpensive way.... :)

Last edited by TheHopelessDrummer; 01-07-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Silicone drumhead? How does that even work? I've never heard of drumheads made of that material; they're generally made of mylar.

I'll be curious to hear how it works for you. Roland pads and triggers are apecifically designed to work with mesh heads, so I'd think that any other kind of drumhead would change the responsiveness of the trigger. With thicker heads you might not even get it to trigger properly at all.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
Silicone drumhead? How does that even work? I've never heard of drumheads made of that material; they're generally made of mylar.

I'll be curious to hear how it works for you. Roland pads and triggers are apecifically designed to work with mesh heads, so I'd think that any other kind of drumhead would change the responsiveness of the trigger. With thicker heads you might not even get it to trigger properly at all.
I'll let you know....for $13 it's worth a shot. It's called Texture Coated Super, or TCS. I noticed Yamaha offers the Textured Cellular Silicone....not sure how they'll compare or what to really expect out of it. I can't buy textured cellular silicone drumheads by themselves apparently. lol. I'm really struggling to get consistency on mesh. I need something else on my snare....if it isn't working after 10 months....it needs to get changed.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

I can tell you from the reverse-side that roland kick towers/pads work with Yamaha DTX brains, you just have to configure it. So, you might want to think about or consider selling your roland for a nice profit (resale is great) and switch to Yamaha to get that feel - I did that a long time ago and walked away with money in my pocket and a great feel from my Yamaha DTX! Plus the hihat is not buggy like the roland, and more reliable.

Just say no to trampolines! :)
Old 01-07-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDAqui View Post
I can tell you from the reverse-side that roland kick towers/pads work with Yamaha DTX brains, you just have to configure it. So, you might want to think about or consider selling your roland for a nice profit (resale is great) and switch to Yamaha to get that feel - I did that a long time ago and walked away with money in my pocket and a great feel from my Yamaha DTX! Plus the hihat is not buggy like the roland, and more reliable.

Just say no to trampolines! :)
I'm kind of on board with that. I dislike the roland hi hat too. Swapping for a DTX brain / snare / hi hat is an interesting idea.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:22 PM

I live in a small town....so selling the brain by itself or swapping it will be a challenge with the limited amount of people here and the limited music stores. I think the answer may be that the Roland TD11 ends up being sold all together, so I can just pick up a complete DTX 500-700 series kit. Maybe this new drumhead will help with snare feel....the mesh and hi-hat responsiveness is really my only complaint. The kit has held up well, considering I've been smashing on it hard for hours n hours everyday. lol
Old 01-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHopelessDrummer View Post
I live in a small town....so selling the brain by itself or swapping it will be a challenge with the limited amount of people here and the limited music stores. I think the answer may be that the Roland TD11 ends up being sold all together, so I can just pick up a complete DTX 500-700 series kit. Maybe this new drumhead will help with snare feel....the mesh and hi-hat responsiveness is really my only complaint. The kit has held up well, considering I've been smashing on it hard for hours n hours everyday. lol
Try eBay. I sold my TD20 a few years ago on eBay for about $2,900. Then I bought a Yamaha DTX562k like this one and added a ride cymbal and another crash and 2 cymbal boom arms. Then I still had $600 to pocket.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephDAqui View Post
Try eBay. I sold my TD20 a few years ago on eBay for about $2,900. Then I bought a Yamaha DTX562k like this one and added a ride cymbal and another crash and 2 cymbal boom arms. Then I still had $600 to pocket.
Cool. I have no clue how much shipping the kit would cost. It will require several boxes....which I currently don't own. lol
Old 01-07-2016, 09:47 PM

Probably keep it for a few months, and prepare to go the DTX562 route.
It's more expensive than my current kit, but not much. I'm expecting to get around $1200 for the kit with an amp, throne, extra cymbal, and extra tom included with the TD11k.
Figured it cost around $1600 altogether new.

Looks like the DTX562 is around $1700. I can hold off for now, but that would be the upgrade I want!
I'd really like to escape mesh FOREVER, and I'd be OK with never playing on mesh again. lol
Old 01-07-2016, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHopelessDrummer View Post
Probably keep it for a few months, and prepare to go the DTX562 route.
I went with a DTX-532k , which is basically a 562 with downgraded toms. On the plus side, it's a great practice kit and works well for late-night workouts. On the down side, it's a poor replacement for an aKit.

My main complaint about the kit (and eDrums in general) is the HHat function. While it does have a real HH stand, it performs differently than a real HHat. Transferring parts from the eKit to an aKit takes bit of work.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:07 PM

I would be totally OK with keeping this kit. I like it a lot.
The question is...Can I plug a Yamaha snare into a Roland brain?
What are my hi-hat options as far as upgrades if I kept this TD11k?

Those are literally the only 2 complaints. I'd hate to get a whole new ekit just to experience more hi-hat issues.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:14 PM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G1613HP

Something like this? Acoustic/Electric hi hats?!?! :)

Edit: Plays like real cymbals at 25% or less sound. So I sell the hi-hat controller, and get a real hi-hat stand, and that would solve that issue.

Not sure if the Roland brain is compatible with a Yamaha snare..... but If that's possible....I won't need another kit for several years, and that's the cheap route.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

I honestly do not know if a Yamaha snare will work on a Roland module.

Gen16 cymbals are low volume acoustic cymbals that require a Gen16 amplification module. They are not a trigger/midi instrument that works in conjunction with the Roland/Yamaha module.

What I have seen a couple folks do is to use an aKit with Silent stroke heads, triggers, and a cheap module in conjunction with a Gen 16 cymbal set. I have heard that it emulates an aKit fairly well. Perhaps someone that owns one, or has experience with one, can speak up.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:38 PM

I just saw a video on the Roland VH-11 hi hat. I think getting a real hi-hat stand and using the VH-11 is the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCEaNOUHkIw

Electronic hi-hat issues seems to be an ongoing theme.....so hopefully this helps someone else. I will keep this thread updated with how the drumhead replacement works out. Mesh sucks.