DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-16-2015, 12:50 AM

Default Electronic Kit on a Budget

Hi everyone,

Ive recently moved into a second floor apartment and the walls and floor are paper thin, as i dont want to annoy my neighbours with an acoustic drum kit i was thinking of investing in a budget electric kit (preferably<£300).
Any idea where i should look for such a thing/what sort of brands will offer a good balance between cost and quality?

Typically a punk/ rock drummer although recently ive seen a few jazz gigs live and ive started the path to playing jazz drums, will this need to be a consideraton for an electric kit

Thanks for any help you provide!
Old 05-16-2015, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Electronic Kit on a Budget

Sorry, but for <300 you are stuck with a set of new non-professional pots & pans with wooden spoons!

Think about it, a nice new pair of sticks is around 20 or about 15% of what you want to spend on a complete kit!?

Even a used set <300 is something (toys) you wont want to play on!
Keep your acoustic set and get practice pads for them.

If you add another 1000 to your budget you can get a half way decent set.
Then you still have to add kick pedal, throne, headphones, and maybe a hihat stand not to mention a speaker if you want someone else to hear it with you!

Edrums are not cheap! However, there are some "CUTE TOYS" out there to play with starting around 500 new.

Good luck with your search!
Old 05-16-2015, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

For the $300 price point, you're looking at a practice-pad/trap kit. XD8USB would probably fall into that category. You might want to look at the student kit options in that range (Roland TD1) so that you at least end up with something that's been engineered properly.

Last edited by KamaK; 05-16-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:00 PM

I agree with everyone else.

At $300 I don't think it's worth buying an e-kit, MAYBE if you can find at least a Yamaha 450k used, then yeah I would get that at that price.

At the price point if you want to buy a new e-kit I personally wouldn't bother until you save up like $800 at least.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:54 PM

Hey guys the OP noted ₤300 not $300.

I’m not sure where you are located, but for a bit more than ₤300 (<$500 USD) you may find something like the entry Roland TD-1K. If interested in “used” you may find an upgraded TD-4 or Yamaha DTX-400.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/drums/rolan...ool/1114262175

Last edited by EssKayKay; 05-16-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:28 AM

Assuming you currently have acoustic drums for your rock/punk gigs/practices, then you can practice jazz technique at home with no drum set at all. Jazz really does take a lot of quiet practice of rudiments that no-one else should be hearing at first, so I would suggest getting a rubber practice pad, some light weight sticks (eg. 7A) and then practice at the lower velocity that jazz drumming typically employs. Just use your bare feet on the floor for the kick and hat. Before you know it you will be comfortable with the sticks and ready for anything.

Then when you get to the regular rehearsal you can warm up with some quiet jazz before you start the business of whacking out high volume punk beats with your bandmates.

Of course if you somehow get paid for the other gig, you can then look at getting a decent e-kit for home.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

My first e kit was a used rubber pad Roland TD6 for $350.

Add to that a simple conversion on his A kit for another $40 per drum and he's good.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssKayKay View Post
Hey guys the OP noted ₤300 not $300.

I’m not sure where you are located, but for a bit more than ₤300 (<$500 USD) you may find something like the entry Roland TD-1K. If interested in “used” you may find an upgraded TD-4 or Yamaha DTX-400.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/drums/rolan...ool/1114262175
300 anything is not gonna get much other than a disposable toy!
I take that back, 300 bit coin would get a very decent kit! LOL
Old 05-17-2015, 05:17 AM

I'll be honest with you, no matter how much you spend for an electric kit, it will never feel anywhere near to what you would prefer. (I'm sure you already know this) Your pretty much buying pads to hit on. Since your not going to get a feel of what you want in an electric kit, when you buy electric drums, your more looking for a module that can produce almost any sound you want. It seriously doesn't matter too much what the pads are, as long as it sounds like what you want it to sound like. If your on a budget for an electric kit, I'd definitely recommend to try and get a used older electric kit by roland. They have always worked for me and all the other drummers that I have met who play a roland. I was never too familiar with the other brands of electric kits because once I got off of electric kits, I never went back. I want to recommend a roland TD-4, but that might be a little over your price range. I've played electric kits for 2 years, so I do have a little bit of an understanding of what they are like. I'm sure any electric kit around your price range is going to be good, but my personal recommendation would be to get a Roland. I'm sorry if that was long, but I do hope it helps.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:26 AM

I can't speak about the cost thing. I bought a dtx522 kit last year.

But, as someone who'd never owned an ekit before, and as someone who hasn't played at home in a decade, with young kids, a disabled wife who rests/sleeps much of the day, neighbours and very little spare time running my own business these days.

I bloody love mine! Sure, it doesn't feel like a real kit. sure the position of everything isn't quite where I'd have it on my real kit.

But I've never had lessons. I've never learned things properly. Never really read music before. And I'm now learning things I've never done before. I'm slowly learning to read. I can get up at 4am and go have a bash and not a person in the house has a clue! My neighbours don't have a clue.

For me, it's been worth it's weight in gold. Sure, maybe you don't have enough budget to get something great. But you know what, it may be better than nothing!
Old 05-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

It's tricky.

On the one you can buy used and get say a TD-3k

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLAND-TD-...item541f04d99c

Or a TD-4k

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-td4...item1e9efa6ec6

These represents excellent value for money.

I much prefer using a hi-hat pedal on a kit and so keep an eye out for kits that use a drummer's hi-hat pedal.

Ignore the doubters - get an ekit, but don't expect there to be no noise. There are always noise and vibration from the foot pedals and the sticks. So you need to be sensitive abot when you play.

Regards
Davo
Old 05-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

Important things to look out for are wide velocity reading and proper trigger sensitivity.

If it doesn't read velocity well enough, fills sound like machine guns.
If the pads aren't sensitive enough, it will skip and subtle things will be impossible.
If the pads are too sensitive they can falsely trigger.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:00 AM

I was once in your situation with very little money and moving into a cramped apartment. Your best bet to having a quality e-kit at that level of budget is to build one yourself! It's really not as hard as most people make it out to be.

If you have an old, junky drumkit laying around somewhere, you're ready to go. If not, you can usually find junky kits on craigslist for around $100 or so. (You can use your existing drum hardware in lieu of buying a rack.) Then buy some piezos and borrow a soldering iron and get to it! There's tons of DIY guides out there, but many of them kinda overcomplicate the process.
This guide is the most basic, common-sense one I can find:
http://edrums.info/acoustic_1.htm

Here's my kit, which cost me a grand total of about $400: http://www.vdrums.com/filedata/fetch?photoid=1118208

Last edited by thebitterroost; 07-25-2015 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Adding a link to a picture.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:17 AM

I'm not sure what £300 will get you in the UK, but you can get broken mesh Pintech drums for $60 all day in the US. Replacement piezo triggers are about 25¢ apiece. I put a trigger conversion kit into a piccolo snare for about $100 total. You can make any drum a dual-trigger by sticking an additional piezo on the side and wiring it into a stereo jack.

My trigger-to-midi converter is an Alesis Trigger I/O. My cymbals are Alesis Surge, with the exception of my hihat, which is a 14" Alesis 3 zone ride.

I probably came in above your £300 budget, but the whole thing works better than it should, given what it cost. A better solution might be to get some giveaway kids kit, and put some mesh heads and triggers on it. I do recommend doing a real snare conversion, even if you're using trigger pads. Having 14" of real estate is just more realistic.

Of course you'll need drum software, and I've spent far more on BFD and expansion packs than any reasonable person. But I'm sure there's some budget solution, maybe BFD Eco, which will help keep the price down.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:28 AM

At that price range the only option for a solid new kit is the Yamaha DTX400k. The Roland TD-1 is priced a little bit above that.

In my experience, Roland's professional line of e-drums are the cream of the crop golden standard. But when it comes to beginner and intermediate lines, I find Yamaha has a slight edge. This is probably due to the fact that Roland can and does overprice their products due to their high demand and reputation of being the best brand for e-drums. Therefore, you typically get more bang for your buck with the Yamahas.

The Yamaha DTX400k is a fine drum if you simply want it for quiet practice purposes. Check out this video from Sweetwater Sound where Steve Fisher provides a basic overview of the kit and points out that it's the quietest he's ever played (he's also reviewed the Rolands), which is ideal for playing in an apartment where you don't want to bother the neighbors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fweWZ_Yuto
Old 07-25-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Edge View Post
A better solution might be to get some giveaway kids kit, and put some mesh heads and triggers on it. I do recommend doing a real snare conversion, even if you're using trigger pads. Having 14" of real estate is just more realistic.

Of course you'll need drum software, and I've spent far more on BFD and expansion packs than any reasonable person. But I'm sure there's some budget solution, maybe BFD Eco, which will help keep the price down.
Seconded. Also, FYI, here are two free VST-compatible sampled kits. I haven't yet used the Power Kit MT, but the Sennheiser one sounds nice and is easy to set up and use.
http://www.powerdrumkit.com/
http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica