DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-15-2005, 04:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Mike Mangini

Just recently the music store where I work and teach at held the first real drum clinic with Mike Mangini. If you have heard mike you know how awesome it was. We had a great turn out and everybody seemed happy. It was a real treat to get to help set up mikes kit and hang out a little bit. Though I really didnt get a chance for some real one on one talk ( you know, about gear and technique and drum things) Everything went as smooth as can be. However, what really makes me happy is that it inspired all of my students and everybody else to keep playing and have fun. Man I love playing this instrument!
Old 07-17-2005, 11:04 PM
beatz

Default Re: mike mangini clinic

Yo thats soooo cool, the last time Mike came in my area I wasn't able to go. I really really regret it, the next one I am there.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:45 AM
Pioneer Member

i need to go to a clinic one day in my life. never been, well actually the had a Horacio Hernandez and Giovani Hidalgo clinic at the Berklee Percussion Festival but thats the only one....
Old 07-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Pioneer Member

here are a couple of pics from the clinic
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2005, 04:16 PM
needforspeed182

thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 05:48 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Mike Mangini Clinic

Mike Mangini Is coming to do a clinic in my town and I'm so
happy because this stuff only happens once in blue moon
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Mike_Mangini.html
Old 07-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Mike Mangini Clinic

1203 singles per minute...omg...what else can I say... oh, yeah, he is an awsome drummer :))

It seems like he had a lot of spare time and was really bored when he was a kid... :D otherwise I can't seem to figure out how can one become so incredibly fast :)

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 07-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton Drum's
Mike Mangini Is coming to do a clinic in my town and I'm so
happy because this stuff only happens once in blue moon
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Mike_Mangini.html
COOL. Mike came to my store in June. Tell him Ryan from LaCrosse Wisconsin says hello.
I poasted some pics in another thread call Mike Mangini clinic. Have fun and enjoy.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:22 AM
sorrowdecadence

where can i find mike mangini video clip
Old 08-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Pioneer Member

we need to get some clinics out here in atlanta. from what i know there hasn't been any in a while.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Mike Mangini WFD Solo Unbelievable!!!!

By all heart and admission I'm a drummer first and camera man second, although I don't like the camera work in this video (I didn't do it and dude got paid) Mike Mangini does the one of the most amazing solos built on a simple ostinato, but layered over the top with amazingly insane Speed!.

In the past some have argued can WFD GUYS PLAY DRUMS?

Well this 9 and1/2 minutes should answer that question. Check out one of the most insane 9 min of double pedal ostinato WFD Solo at:
http://www.extremesportdrumming.com/...olo%20256k.wmv

What do you think?

TD

Last edited by ThomasDee; 10-22-2005 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:51 AM

I've seen Mr. Mangini at one of his drum clinics. What he played at the clinic was much more musical than this solo.

The ostinato sounds very similar to one of Terry Bozzio's ostinatos in his video on the black Remo drums. The big difference seems to be that Mr. Mangini is playing twice as many beats with the bass drums. For me, it really makes it less musical because there are less holes to fill in by playing over the pattern. That is one of the keys to soloing over an ostinato; keep the ryhthm open and simple so there are lots of holes to fill in.

Lets talk about the tuning of the drums in this video. For some reason, when he starts playing fast, the drums just sound like clicking. I agree that Mr. Mangini is a very fast drummer but at what expense? The second half of the drum solo just sounds like a lot of very fast clicking; void of ryhthm and voice (or is it just my computer speakers that can't handle the speed?). I understand that the faster you play, the less ring and overtone you want so you can hear each of the notes. But it stopped sounding like drums after a while.

I enjoyed most of the solo and respect Mr. Mangini for his accomplishments; he was very personable when I met him at the clinic. I just think that once the speed kicks in, this solo loses some of its appeal.

Last edited by YAHAHA; 11-09-2005 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:07 PM

That guy has worked his ass off, he's always working on getting better, I like his tom set up too, a little creativity can go along way,
Old 11-18-2005, 08:20 PM
jamndrummer

Quote:

In the past some have argued can WFD GUYS PLAY DRUMS?

Well this 9 and1/2 minutes should answer that question. Check out one of the most insane 9 min of double pedal ostinato WFD Solo at:
http://www.extremesportdrumming.com...solo%20256k.wmv
ThomasDee

I couldnt agree with you more, I went to my first WFD and the guys I seen play that actually had good technique, also played the same day with a band doing a Miles Davis Tune along with some Vibe songs. It is possible, to do both, you just need to keep in mind the differences between doing both.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Mike Mangini WFD Solo Unbelievable!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasDee
Mike Mangini does the one of the most amazing solos built on a simple ostinato, but layered over the top with amazingly insane Speed!
Oh boy, I have to agree with "Yahaha" and I also think it is not one of the most amazing solos either. He is fast no doubt , but that sums it up right there. I do not want to say that I can do better, it is just not that unbelievable as "ThomasDee" makes it sound. Just my.02 cents.

Last edited by DogBreath; 11-19-2005 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Edited to fix formatting
Old 11-26-2005, 08:46 AM

I haven't gotten a chance to see mike live or in a clinic yet, but I would really love to. He is the reason that I first picked up a pair of sticks. But he never does clinics around where I live. If he ever does do one, you can expect to see me there in a heartbeat.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:58 AM
Senior Administrator

in that video he sometimes looks like john travolta.

check this clip out that i found. the guy is hilarious. what a great sense of humour, not only fast but he plays the audience like papa jo jones did with his eyes. and his single hand roll is faster than my best double stroke two handed efforts...insane!
http://rapidshare.de/files/8624510/steve_vai_-_mike_mangini_drum_solo.mpg.html

j
ps: scroll down click free button and wait approx 40 seconds for your ticket then download its quite a large file...be warned.

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 12-05-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: mike mangini (with videos) the world's fastest drummer

I have never viewed that clip before...WOW...That was a stunning display of sound and fury...I guess humans can really play stuff like that...What a showman! Very Inspirational...Thanks NJ.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Mike Mangini

Does he have some kind of special technique?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Senior Administrator

yeah. on the clip i posted you see him swabbing his forehead with two volumes of an instructional method book he's written. never seen it myself but i might buy it one day.
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 12-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Senior Consultant

I've seen him in clinic twice, the man has a virtuoistic command of what he's playing, he's also really personable and has a fantastic sense of humor. My favorite clinician thus far.... I don't like the style that he plays, no denying the guy is incredible though. I got to sit down and play his set too... pretty interesting. Things aren't where they are supposed to be.
Also, I saw El Negro at the clinic, it was a double bill. That was terrific as well. Great clinic.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Pioneer Member

I heard that he has swapped over his remote hi hats ...in other words that the left pedal controls the hats on the right, and the right pedal controls the hats on the left. Can anyone justify this? It sounds like a Mangini thing to do. Is this what you meant when you said things aren't where they're supposed to be??
Old 05-02-2006, 04:29 AM

I saw him perform a duet with Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez last summer at the Berklee Percussion Festival. It was short and Mike was not the main feature. i do think it's cool that he can do all the strokes in one minute, but i really like him for his drum sound (i've only heard him on three records (mullmuzzler by james labrie(of dream theater)). unfortunately, i can't say i'm ready to listen to everything mike is on for i'm not right now interested in annihilator or extreme. he is a good musician, but i respect him for his drumming sound, not his speed. he is just an exception to a good fast drummer. you never know, there can be a drummer who can play a million strokes under a minute yet cannot play music. drums are just like every other instrument, set up to entertain people musically. speed does not always imply to music. I wish some people would recognize mike mangini for his musical talent, not his world record speed. but hey, that's just me.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:47 PM

Anyone know anything about Mike Mangini's fulcrum, or what technique he uses? Especially for the WFD.

In his book, he just talks about the commonly used first finger fulcrum. But then you see him play and it looks like he's doing something else as far as how he grips / manipulates the stick...
Old 05-04-2006, 12:06 PM

Does this guy have any groove anymore ? the only videos I've seen him in he bashes his drums and speeds up like hell. I find his playing very linear.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy
Does this guy have any groove anymore ? the only videos I've seen him in he bashes his drums and speeds up like hell. I find his playing very linear.
He doesnt bash the drums, he plays them. He generally gets alot of cool grooves going and he uses a lot of independence in his solos as well.
And he uses his fast chops to make the solo more concentrated and more appealing.
I think he's an amazing musician in my opinion.

Last edited by tomgrosset; 05-11-2007 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Pioneer Member

OMG!!!!! I'm speechless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz_L0wlLcVM
Old 01-09-2007, 09:53 PM

Does anyone know if he is planning on putting out an instructional DVD? I would be very interested to see some of the ideas he would talk about. Same goes for Virgil Donati he needs to put out a new DVD as well.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:14 AM

I have both volumes of his book. I have been to a clinic of his. and the best sticks i have used in 15 years of drumming are his.

Weird?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

Default mike mangini

i did not see a thread on him here so i thought i would start one.
does anyone know what foot techniques he uses for fast,slow and medium double bass playing? what technique does he use for his hands? whenever i have seen him he has been in the german position.
does he have a drum fourm (i have not been able to find one) where we can take a look at his techniques? there really is not that many vids on line of him playing where you can reall see what he is doing, especially his feet.
i know he teaches at berklee,does anyone know if he does privet lessons?
anyway, the guy is a great drummer that just blows me away and im looking very forward to seeing his 06 MD fest performance.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 PM

I appreciate that Mike, despite being a WFD record holder, doesn't overplay things; many drummers would if they had similar ability.

A current project he's been involved in: http://www.myspace.com/stygiaband
Old 11-20-2007, 03:47 PM

There is some footage of Mike demonstrating some of his techniques here:

http://www.drumheadmag.com/web/page.php?id=10

His fulcrum leaves an open hole between the thumb and the hand and the stick is held out at the first joint of the index finger.

And yes his hi hats are set up on the opposite sides of the kit with the use of cable hats. So when he plays the bass drum with his right foot and closes the hi hat with his left he will be playing the hi hat on his right side. and vice versa.

Mike's clinics are great. He is full of energy and very detail oriented.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 PM

Awesome! I've never attended a drum clinic. I first heard about him from a guy I met at the 2005 Rush Convention in Toronto, Ont. He said Mike drummed for an incredible rush tribute and I should check him out. I've seen his work on youtube and I heard him on the Rush tribute mike portnoy put together in 1995. An excellent player!
Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 AM

I thought I'd revive an old thread...............I have been loving watching Mangini on YouTube. I have read that some people don't think he's musically inclined.........just fast. I have to dis-agree..............he does some amazing things..........I especially love his polyrythms. I thought I'd post some recent videos. The first is from the Discovery Channel...........every drummer should watch it........it's about physics....not just Mangini. The second video is his solo at WFD...............I can't get enough of it. Trashy.......polyrythmic..... and incredibly fast at times........truely amazing. He has a 'Hot for teacher' video that was just put out too.........I'll post it also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Gxut0odyc (discovery channel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyaFL24Zu8c (wfd solo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-_IqTbqsrM (hot 4 teacher)
Old 04-29-2011, 08:15 PM

Congratulations to Mike Mangini for getting the drum chair in Dream Theater as announced today! Maybe it won't be 2 years before another post in his thread? :-)

I'll never forget the first time I saw him live with Vai - incredible drum solo, but then performing the one-handed buzz roll - while eating a marshmallow with the other hand... too funny!

Anyway, I've been a fan for years and am glad to see him get a big gig such as this; can't wait to hear what the new Dream Theater disc will be like!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Congratulations Mike ======= Deserved!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:11 PM

http://youtu.be/xvH1Y20cJ6M

just saw this clip on the tubes.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:59 AM

I studied with Mike for a semester at Berklee. Amazing guy, amazing musician. It's funny seeing people scrutinize him here based on his WFD record or some solo they saw.

Chill out, friends.

Mike has more than earned his stripes as a musician, and I'm excited that he has a platform with Dream Theater to put all these unqualified criticisms to rest.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:58 AM

This is one of the drummers I would surely love to meet. He seems like a pretty down to earth guy. The type you can hang out that the bar(east coast accent) and have a beer and talk about sports with. He just seems like the type of person you can just chill with. Would really love to see him here in Chicago on a clinic. Amazing drummer and amazing guy!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
Really ?
Hmmmmmmmm...............Berklee faculty............Vai............Dream Theater.
Yeah, you're probably right -- no groove.