DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-29-2014, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default L.A tips? USC ?

Hola DW! Its been a while. I'm not here that much anymore, but I do lurk occasionally. A quick question and a non drumming one - to the LA siders.

I going to drop my kid off at USC next spring semester ( Jan ) and I've heard the neighbourhood is rough, though USC is in a bit of a bubble that survives within.

Is this true or just rumor? Any hotel reccos nearabouts would be highly appreciated- hopefully in a safe area. Any fun stuff to do in LA once were done with Home Depot, IKEA etc?

Any info on any of this would be great- thank y'all in advance.

PS-Hoping to sqeeze in a Peter Erskine lesson ( he's faculty there, so maybe dad can learn a few new tricks.. )

Old 07-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: L.A tips? USC ?

The area around USC used to be horrible. Yes, it was this small bubble surrounded by a terrible area.

In the last few years many improvements have been made, and the area has gotten better. Or at least, the pocket has gotten bigger.

Although I still wouldn't recommend going to South, or too far East of the campus.

Just North-East is the LA Live area, with Staples center, Nokia theater, and lots of shopping and restaurants. The city has made a huge effort to make that area super safe. Although just as short walk east of that is still skid row.

Overall, violent crime in LA as a whole is way, way down. Crime stats still seems high due to the fact the population is huge, but if you break down to per capita, LA comes in under many other cities.

The Ikea is in Burbank. There are Home Depot's everywhere in LA.

As for a drummer, plenty of places to check out.:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...0&postcount=12
Old 07-30-2014, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks DED, that was really helpful and detailed! : )) appreciate it. Some bad news today about a grad student being robbed and killed. Worrisome.

Last edited by aydee; 07-30-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Hola guys,

sorry for the time-laspe appearances here on DW.. but I defintely want to check out the Baked Potato. ANy other places like that in the neighbourhood?

thanks..

Last edited by aydee; 09-01-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Never been there, but I've heard some good things about the Industry Cafe & Jazz in Culver City, which is pretty close by. It all depends what you're looking for, I'm just assuming Jazz. I don't know LA too well. I played at Molly Malone's last year. It's a cool, popular Irish Bar. Worth checking out. Of course there is always Sunset Blvd and its many venues Like the Viper Room, House of Blues, Troubadour, Whiskey-a-go-go, Roxy, & Key Club (I think it's still there). Not sure if that's your thing though. Enjoy!

One thing I can recommend for a friday night is to take a drive down to Long Beach to the Golden Sails and check out Cubensis if you enjoy Grateful Dead music.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Never been there, but I've heard some good things about the Industry Cafe & Jazz in Culver City, which is pretty close by. It all depends what you're looking for, I'm just assuming Jazz. I don't know LA too well. I played at Molly Malone's last year. It's a cool, popular Irish Bar. Worth checking out. Of course there is always Sunset Blvd and its many venues Like the Viper Room, House of Blues, Troubadour, Whiskey-a-go-go, Roxy, & Key Club (I think it's still there). Not sure if that's your thing though. Enjoy!

One thing I can recommend for a friday night is to take a drive down to Long Beach to the Golden Sails and check out Cubensis if you enjoy Grateful Dead music.
Thank you, MZ,

yea, mainly jazz or jazz flavored stuff. or blues, but any good live music would be a great way to spend a few evenings. Will def. check out your suggestions.

Appreciate it muchly!

Old 09-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

I can't help you at all Abe, but I wish I was along for the music & beers :(
Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I can't help you at all Abe, but I wish I was along for the music & beers :(
Hey Andy,

I'll have some time on my hands on this trip so yea, would have been fun to hang, listen to music-do some civilized drinking..

Im looking forward to checking out The Baked Potato, which I hear the THE hangout of the top musos of the LA music scene. Want to check out guitar player Michael Landau and Gary Novak, who are there very often apparently..

Sightseeing isnt my idea of fun. ( Depends on the ights actually.. )
Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Renegade

Next stop Sydney? :)

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Hey Cutie!!!! Hope alls good in Grealand!

Oz, I wish...

have heard so much about how nice it is but somehow it never shows up on my charts. Someday I hope.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:03 AM

Hey Abe,

Been a VERY long time since I've posted; similarly I recently began "lurking about." In addition to the Baked Potato there's Catalina's Jazz Club. It's where I saw Gadd, and the likes of Chambers and Weckl, etc. are known to book gigs there.

If you're willing to drive about an hour south to the O.C, there's a nice jazz club called Steamers Cafe in Fullerton. Jeff Hamilton plays there a few times a year but regardless, the place doesn't disappoint.

Wishing you a great visit when you're here (and congrats on your kid at USC).
Old 09-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Hey Andy,

I'll have some time on my hands on this trip
Time - one of my biggest challenges. Alas, there's no way I could join you - would be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I'd like to visit Sydney too Grea. Never made it to Oz :(
Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Hey Abe,

Been a VERY long time since I've posted; similarly I recently began "lurking about." In addition to the Baked Potato there's Catalina's Jazz Club. It's where I saw Gadd, and the likes of Chambers and Weckl, etc. are known to book gigs there.

If you're willing to drive about an hour south to the O.C, there's a nice jazz club called Steamers Cafe in Fullerton. Jeff Hamilton plays there a few times a year but regardless, the place doesn't disappoint.

Wishing you a great visit when you're here (and congrats on your kid at USC).
Derek! good to hear from you... been a while. I've become a bit of a lurker too now.. too much going on lately..

Yea, all those names hit my sweet spot, will definitely check them out ( wife permitting more than 2 jazz nights, you know how that goes.. )
Thanks very much, and hope alls good with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Time - one of my biggest challenges. Alas, there's no way I could join you - would be fun.

I'd like to visit Sydney too Grea. Never made it to Oz :(
I can see how that works Andy. Hard to be footloose and fancy free when you're on your way to the Forbes top Ten list of Drum Millionnaires! Would be great to see Grea on her home turf someday..
Old 09-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
I can see how that works Andy. Hard to be footloose and fancy free when you're on your way to the Forbes top Ten list of Drum Millionnaires!
You're clearly hallucinating Abe - if you only knew :(