DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-11-2014, 06:09 PM

Default Yamaha DTExplorer questions

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, 57 years old and have been playing drums for over 47 years. I am totally new to e-drums however. I bought a used DTExplorer kit for practice as my acoustic kits drive my German Shepherd crazy. Great like new condition and I didn't pay much. Seems to work well enough for the intended purpose. Questions:

All the inputs of the module utilized. Can I add and additional crash by using a "Y" adaptor? This thing came with a bunch of extra mounts on the rack.

Same question about adding another tom. Can this be done?

I would like to change out a cymbal or two to multi-zone triggers. Looks like the module will only do two zones. What cymbals would you recommend?

What other brands of triggers will work with the Yamaha?

If any of you own this entry level kit or have in the past I'd appreciate any tips, comments or tricks you wish to pass along.

I know what I have here in a not very sophisticated kit but $$ was the main factor as I don't plan to gig with it. I have played and gigged with a friends high end Roland so I know I don't have a whole lot to work with in the little Yamaha.

Many thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Yamaha DTExplorer questions

Hi!

Congrats on your purchase! You can add another pad through the extra input on your bass drum pad, and use a stereo cable from the bass drum to the module. And that's it. No two- or three zone pads will work.

Have fun!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

I'm not familiar with your module but, if any of the inputs have head and rim settings, you can split the incoming signal, hook up two different pads and have two different sounds..

If all your inputs are mono, you can still hook up multiple pads to any input but obviously it will be the same sound. Most people do it with their kicks. Some do it to be able to play open handed HH as well as standard.

Most modules will work with any pads.

If you want to play your full sized kit instead of banging on the rubber pads, you can convert it easily for about $40 per drum. All you need are triggers and mesh heads.

Search acoustic to electronic conversion. That is where I ended up after 3 years of experimentation.

Quote:
What cymbals would you recommend?
That is the weak point on the E kits. I got nothin for you :) I'm not a big cymbal guy so I just get by.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 PM

Thanks guys. I downloaded the owner's manual from Yamaha's website and got pretty much the same info. It is a bit confusing as it says double and triple trigger pads can be used on the snare input 1. I'm thinking I would then have to select only one of the 2 or 3 sounds......not ideal.

I had the input on the kick figured out and ordered a spare cymbal pad for that input on the bay. I also broke the crash that came with the kit trying to decrease its volume. I hit the pad while a friend had a screwdriver in the trim pot and now it's quite dead. Live and learn. Placed another order.

Over all I'd say the drums sound pretty good and the cymbals are good enough to practice with. If I ever feel the need to gig the thing I'll just use acoustic cymbals.

For kicks I hooked the kit up to a small mixer and then to and older Alesis Sumo 300 watt keyboard amp I have. Oh boy can that rig get loud!