DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-09-2014, 04:33 PM

Default Computer as module

Hey guys, I'm new to eDrumming, I just bought a Simmons SD5X Electronic Drum Set, it's not very good, but it'll get the job done. I have two main questions for all the experts.

1. How can I record the sound directly from the module?, I have a camera and when I see the video it sounds horrible due to the sticks hitting the plastic, I would like to have an output and record from there. Which brings us to the next question.

2. I have a couple of laptops I don't use anymore, is there a software/hardware out there that I can use as a module instead of the crappy one I bought?, I'm pretty sure there must be something, but I just can't find it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Computer as module

The module has 1/4" inch outputs, hook those up to your camera. You will need some adapters and the camera has to have audio input. Or else you can record the audio on the computer and then replace the audio from the videofile with this, but it will not sync perfectly due to clockdrift.

The module has MIDI out so you can get a midi interface and run Superior Drummer or the like on the computer. You will get a bit of latency with this setup, especially with USB midi and audio devices. I personally can't stand it.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Computer as module

The camera would probably need an 1/8th inch jack input, so the RCA-jack cable will get the sound to your camera. As for using a laptop as a module, there is a ton of info online, but what was mentioned above is your easiest route. There is some free and demo software available, and a great way to get latency down is to use a driver called "Asio4all". I won't link directly, as I'm not sure of the rules for the forum, but if you search for v drums PC module, there is a dedicated forum for plenty of electronic drum enthusiasts who have gone through the PC module conundrum.