DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 PM

Default questions about buying electronic drums

hey all,

i'm looking into buying a new electronic drum kit, and have a few questions regarding what to look for and what to buy.

- which brand? from what i've read, it looks like yamaha vs roland.

i want to get the most realistic sound/feel, and i'm guessing that roland is the better option? (mesh pads vs rubber pads)

i'm also interested in upgrade ability; for example, adding more toms, cymbals etc; again, i've read that roland wins here.

my budget is around $2,000 (i'm flexible on the price)

- what are my options for sound output?

i likely won't be using headphones a lot, so i'm trying to figure out what i can use to output the sound.

i talked to a drum sales guy, and was told i can use a typical home theater audio receiver, though i've read that this isn't ideal for sound quality.

i see there's also drum monitors/amps, i'm guessing these are meant specifically for sound output for electronic drum kits?

my preference is to have the best sound quality.

any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:47 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: questions about buying electronic drums

My 2 cents worth below:

- which brand? from what i've read, it looks like yamaha vs roland.
I've always used Roland but its personal preference like everything else. Plenty of other options out there so don't discount them straight away.

i want to get the most realistic sound/feel, and i'm guessing that roland is the better option? (mesh pads vs rubber pads)
IMO- mesh heads have a have the best feel BUT some drummers don't like the "bounciness" (and you may be one of these) in which case rubber heads might be for you.

i'm also interested in upgrade ability; for example, adding more toms, cymbals etc; again, i've read that roland wins here.
Plenty of options to upgrade/ add-on, etc with Uncle Roland , yes.

my budget is around $2,000 (i'm flexible on the price)

- what are my options for sound output?

There are Roland amps meant to be specifically used with their e-drums but are crap sound quality from what I've read.
The absolute BEST sound I've ever heard (coming out of a crappy Roland TD-6) was these amps: http://www.atomicamps.com/products.htm but will set you back some serious coin.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: questions about buying electronic drums

I've seen used Roland TD-10 kits (mesh heads, rack, and e-cymbals) selling for the $1200 mark. This kit has been superseded by the TD20 and TD30 kits, but was top of the line - the sounds are still very good and it handles well. I would couple that with a Roland KC550 combo amp ($600 new) then you're good to go!