DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-27-2014, 07:27 PM

Default Roland Module as Monitor

My apologies in advance that this may get wordy:

I have both acoustic and e-drums (Roland TD-10exp with real drum shell triggers). I recently joined a cover band that is almost ready to "go live" and gig out. I will primarily use my acoustic drums, but if we are ever faced with a very small room, I have left open the possiblity of using my edrums. I will need some type of monitor system when playing the acoustic drum set. The band has decided to go with floor wedges (I've read in-ear only really works if EVERYONE is using them; drummer-only with in-ear not a good idea).

I am considering using a Roland module with my acoustic kit to a) use 2-3 pads to give me some auxilary sounds (handclaps, timbales, etc), and b) provide me with a way to use my open-ear headphones, via the module, as my monitor (input from the main mixer board). With the TD-10, I would be able to:

1. Send my auxillary sounds from the pads to the band's main mixer via the DIRECT OUT, so that the MIX IN signal from the main mixer is not sent back to the main mixer (feedback loop).
2. Control the level of the MIX IN to balance with what is going out to the phones.
3. Use my open-ear headphones out of the TD-10, which has a headphone volume control.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Reading my manual, it sounds like what it is built to do...

Which leads me to my other questions:
Would it take a module like the TD-10 (or higher) to do this? Would it work with a TD-6? There's quite a price difference on the used market. I used to own a TD-6 -- looking at the manual, the drawback seems to be there are no direct outs, and no individual controls for volumes...So, the MIX IN will go back out to the main board via the OUTPUT, and I will not have a separate headphone volume control (adjusting the MASTER VOL will also affect output to the board). On the surface of it, it looks like a feedback loop in the making...Has anyone used a TD-6 for this purpose?

Wondering if I should buy a used TD-10 (non-expanded) for dedicated use with the acoustic kit... Right now I have a pretty sweet situation: acoustic drums are left at the practice space, and most of my practice/learning songs is done at home on the edrums. No set-up/tear down to practice. I could unplug my current TD-10 and take it to rehearsals, but it'd be nice to leave everything in place. Additionally, having an "extra" module would give me a back-up module for any gigs where I use edrums.

Thoughts on this? E-drum module as monitor, or should I just go buy my own floor wedge (I was thinking of a powered 15" speaker that would also work well to amplify the edrums, if I ever needed it)?

Thanks for your ideas!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Roland Module as Monitor

Does anyone out there play their edrums live? What are your thoughts/strategies for hearing the rest of the band and vocals?
Old 05-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Roland Module as Monitor

I play an e kit (acoustic conversion) live. It solves all the volume issues and simplifies set up.

It is plugged into the PA so I hear the mix in the monitor along with everything else.