DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-22-2014, 04:29 AM

Default Electronic Drums and Cymbals

Hey everybody...

So I'm starting to record with my band (Metal) and I want a nice, clean, even drum sound, so I bring out the E-kit to record with. Drums sound great, but I want to use acoustic cymbals WITH the E-drums. How do I do this?

BTW, I'm very inexperienced with MIDI and any electronics that have to do with music.

Paiste
Formula 602
Dimensions
RUDE

Sabian AAX
Zildjian ZHT

Ludwig
Gibraltar
Old 05-22-2014, 06:05 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Electronic Drums and Cymbals

Might be tricky.

The E drums are easy enough with an instrument cable from the module into your controller/workstation.

The mics on the cymbals might pick up some mesh head sound from the drums or slap from the kick pedals. Will it pick up enough to matter? Try it and find out.

Quote:
BTW, I'm very inexperienced with MIDI and any electronics that have to do with music.
So am I but I know what works for me.

I just record everything in mono.

Edrum module to Zoom R16 via instrument cable and Zoom R16 to computer via usb cable.

If I was using real cymbals, the mic input(s) would take the same route.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Electronic Drums and Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
Might be tricky.

The E drums are easy enough with an instrument cable from the module into your controller/workstation.

The mics on the cymbals might pick up some mesh head sound from the drums or slap from the kick pedals. Will it pick up enough to matter? Try it and find out.
This was my first reaction, too. In theory, you could track the cymbals separately. But, that might feel weird and really disrupt your "performance" elements. If your module allows it, you could "direct out" the drums only to the recording mixer. Playing the full performance (including ecymbals), you would still hear your full performance via the phones,but only the drums go out to the mixer. Then, you would have to go back and track cymbals only. Again, this is "possible," but may be really weird to do in practice.

As far as New Tricks' suggestion to try it (recording real cymbals with edrums), you'll increase your chances of success with each cymbal individually close-mic'd. Any traditional overhead method will probably pick up too much "other" noise.