DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-18-2011, 02:10 PM
sticks4drums

Default Re: Keith Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I think this pretty well sums up what people love about Moonie. He played garage style with all its power, spontaneity, freedom and fire ... but he perfected it like no one else.

Neil Peart was a big fan. That's doesn't mean you have to be, of course. Just saying ...
I just slipped back into my protect Neil Peart posture for a post. I am ok now. :)
Old 10-11-2011, 06:05 AM

Moon was the guy who inspired me to pickup a set of sticks. For the longest time I wanted to play the drums but I guess I never quite got the motivation. About a few months ago I got into this serious Who listening stage, and hearing his drumming made me want to see what I could do with a set of sticks in my hands. Ever since drumming has been the only thing I can think about, RIP Moonie.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Doctor Dirt

Moon was a huge part of a theatrical band that used visuals and emotions to enlist their fans. Moon was a favorite of fans who appriciated the "show" first then the playing ability. I saw him 2 or 3 times and other than having tons of energy and being a total maniac I heard nothing that any drug induced half way talented drummer couldn't come up with. Sorry but there was NO groove every established, he blew every ending and listened to the guitarist (out of tune) instead of the bassists and there was obviously something going on between the bass player and him. They never hooked up once they never "looked" at each other once that I can recall. Free styling belongs in a garage but when you come along in the 60s with the most impressional generation that was loaded on drugs for concerts anything could happen. If someone is thinking that Townshed is a great guitarists thats ok, I thought he was a horrible lead player who was lucky that he did all his best work in a studio because live he simply was not very good. Same for the drummer and in my opinion the bass player held it together and was a decent enough talent to get them by live.
Playing power chords and performing over the top free form is a talent in it self. I'm not sure where the performance ends and the music begins!! Wrecking gear at the end of the show impressed some folks (again drugged out kids) for me after seeing them live I wished they did it at the beginning of the night. Free form jamming needs to be left to the pros with talent not some kids that are very "limited" in what they know.
To suggest that Kieth Moon is a great drummer "All Time"!! Wow thats really abusing the word Great! A great Showman at that time?? Yes! A talented musician?? In a studio were the jammin was limited, OK! Live?? Not for me, no concept of beat, no rythmic qualities, no sense of timing, how many single rolled patterns can you take??? Horrible cymbal work, just thrashing and crashing, playing on the edge of the cynbals to produce more noise (fill?) Enough, my rant is over!! Guess you had to be there, and straight too hahahaha! .................................................. ..............................Doc.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt View Post
... other than having tons of energy and being a total maniac I heard nothing that any drug induced half way talented drummer couldn't come up with.
I think not ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4BBQMjbX3c ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VUVOOYARg Moonie played the right parts for the songs.

He was such a character that it overshadowed the fact that there was more imagination in his playing than he's credited for ... plus quick thinking and insane amounts of energy. The showmanship was just a bonus.

Quote:
Free form jamming needs to be left to the pros with talent not some kids that are very "limited" in what they know.
Um, The Who might not have been session or jazz guys but they were pros ... in fact, they were so pro that they didn't have to teach to help pay the bills like many pros do :)
Old 10-18-2011, 03:00 PM

If I think the drummer played right part for the songs, i should be lying . Keith Moon played the way he felt like when it was recorded in the studio. Then he played like he felt when they played the same song live. He never played the same way like Neil Peart or any other great drummers, which seems so fascinating to me, which shows there are numerous ways to back up (or lead) a song with drums, with absolutely no rules. Keith Moon is still my favourite drummer... less is always less.. sometimes!

..and he was lucky to have Townshend, Daltrey and Enwhistle to support him which is extremely rare to have these days in bands.

"Eminence Front" by Kenny Jones-- sounds so dead with the groovy beat!, If Moon were alive, he would have come up with something.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy McRudster View Post
I was never a fan of Keith Moon. His style is always so sloppy and, a lot of the time, overplayed. And if there's one groove that makes my blood boil it's definately "You Better", or at least I think that's what it's called. It is just so annoying and never goes anywhere.

Now, I'm not saying he's terrible. He's been a big influence to many drummers, but I just don't like his style.
"You Better You Bet" was written and recorded by Pete Townshend in 1981, 3 years after Keith Moon died. Keith Moon is widely regarded as one of the best Rock N' Roll drummers who ever lived. His drumming can be described as "Lively Precision". Give The Who Live At Leeds a good listen and tell me he wasn't amazing. Young Man Blues, Amazing Journey/Sparks and an extended jam version of My Generation all stand out as some of the best drumming Rock has ever known. I guarantee you wouldn't be able to play and sound half as good he did on that live album.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Moon was a huge part of a theatrical band that used visuals and emotions to enlist their fans. Moon was a favorite of fans who appriciated the "show" first then the playing ability. I saw him 2 or 3 times and other than having tons of energy and being a total maniac I heard nothing that any drug induced half way talented drummer couldn't come up with. Sorry but there was NO groove every established, he blew every ending and listened to the guitarist (out of tune) instead of the bassists and there was obviously something going on between the bass player and him. They never hooked up once they never "looked" at each other once that I can recall. Free styling belongs in a garage but when you come along in the 60s with the most impressional generation that was loaded on drugs for concerts anything could happen. If someone is thinking that Townshed is a great guitarists thats ok, I thought he was a horrible lead player who was lucky that he did all his best work in a studio because live he simply was not very good. Same for the drummer and in my opinion the bass player held it together and was a decent enough talent to get them by live.
Playing power chords and performing over the top free form is a talent in it self. I'm not sure where the performance ends and the music begins!! Wrecking gear at the end of the show impressed some folks (again drugged out kids) for me after seeing them live I wished they did it at the beginning of the night. Free form jamming needs to be left to the pros with talent not some kids that are very "limited" in what they know.
To suggest that Kieth Moon is a great drummer "All Time"!! Wow thats really abusing the word Great! A great Showman at that time?? Yes! A talented musician?? In a studio were the jammin was limited, OK! Live?? Not for me, no concept of beat, no rythmic qualities, no sense of timing, how many single rolled patterns can you take??? Horrible cymbal work, just thrashing and crashing, playing on the edge of the cynbals to produce more noise (fill?) Enough, my rant is over!! Guess you had to be there, and straight too hahahaha! .................................................. ..............................Doc.
I would love to hear a version of you playing the drums on all of the songs on The Who Live at Leeds with all of the original members (Townshend, Entwistle and Daltrey) and see how your version matches up to the original. It would be laughable, your version being immediately thrown away after we all had a good laugh.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 PM

All these feelings, pro and con, about Moon came rushing into my head recently while reading Pete Townsend's recently published memoir, Who I Am.

Pete makes it very clear that although he considered Moon to be the drummer for The Who the minute he first heard him, by the end of Moon's life Pete just wished he'd go away, both as a person and a musician. When he writes of Moon's death he never expresses any sorrow or, for that matter, any feeling at all on the subject, and he goes on to say that he was much more comfortable playing with the band without Moon's drumming "crowding" him.

All in all, I found his attitude appalling.

If anyone's interested, I've posted a very short review of Townsend's book on my website, here: http://tvwriter.net/?p=7804

And, yeah, it's a very negative one too. Sorry.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Well you are obviously not a Who fan, so it's clear why you cut down the band members and didn't think much of their performances. Not sure why you needed to see them 2 or 3 times, other than to make sure you really didn't like them.
The Who aren't a groove type of band, they are a chaotic messy rock and roll band. You should have gone to Earth Wind And Fire concerts if you needed to groove so bad in the 70's.
There is plenty of video out there to put all of your comments to shame.
You just don't get what the band was all about.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:29 AM

I'm with Sam here. One of the things I learned a long time ago is that you can't judge any kind of art, be it music, film, TV, painting, etc., by what you would have liked it to be. You have to understand what it's trying to accomplish and then see if, in your estimation, it succeeded.

The Who succeeded brilliantly.

So did Keith Moon.

Gotta admit, though, that what drives me crazy in this discussion is the concept that Moon wasn't a great drummer because he always improvised and couldn't/wouldn't repeat his drum parts. In the '50s, '60s, '70s, and even in most of the '80s, constantly experimenting with your sound and approach wasn't a negative but to many people a sign of genius. Did Monk play his stuff the same way every time? Diz? Brubeck? Trane? They - and their drummers - were all about going out on a limb and seeing if they could keep it from breaking. It was the "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds" approach.

I remember the last tour I went out on in the early '90s, subbing for the usual drummer. I was as ready for the gig as I ever was for any gig - that is to say I had my chops, my faith in myself, and, yeah, I'd listened to the records a few times. Then I learned that I was expected to play a real drum part, beat for beat, for each song, exactly as each had been recorded. I was flabbergasted. I tried my best and only occasionally succeeded. No one ever gave me any crap about it, but I found the experience of merely duplicating instead of creating so unfulfilling that I didn't play in public again for 20 years. (And now it's to play mostly old blues or free form jazz, both of which allow me to relax and improvise and stretch.)

Moon's originality, the wildness that so many people here seem to condemn, IS what made him, yes, an all-time great.

Last edited by HipshotPercussion; 11-09-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 AM
Anthony Amodeo

if you are looking for a tight precise rock band why in the world would you listen to or go see the Who?

Keith was an unconventional drummer and a one man orchestra playing off the vocal and the guitar

to me every single thing he played with the Who was pure brilliance

long live Keith .....a true master who had absolutely no intention on being one
Old 11-09-2012, 02:41 PM

I agree with Sam , Hipshot and Gvdadrum and all who said positive things....

There has not been any drummer ever ever never ever like Keith, since his death. Everyone claims they all play like Moon but all plays by the "F....g" rules (if there are any) and technically which does not stand out any more, with theatrical chops and face expressions etc. etc........

my 4.5 cents
Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 PM

Hi I love Keith Moon - my other fav drummer is this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AoN9oA_Fjk
Old 06-12-2013, 02:34 PM

Keith Moon was the inspiration for me to start playing the drums when I was 11 years old. I am now 48 and I still think there is no one to touch him. Ok so he wasn't the best time keeper but his genius made up for that ten fold. Just watch The Isle of Wight concert from 1970 and then say he wasn't any good. I dare you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy McRudster View Post
I was never a fan of Keith Moon. His style is always so sloppy and, a lot of the time, overplayed. And if there's one groove that makes my blood boil it's definately "You Better", or at least I think that's what it's called. It is just so annoying and never goes anywhere.

Now, I'm not saying he's terrible. He's been a big influence to many drummers, but I just don't like his style.
That was Kenney Jones. Keith died three years earlier.

Last edited by Bernhard; 06-15-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Edited by Arky: merging consecutive posts
Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 PM

Default Keith Moon - Genius drumming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8kHNmLmei8Y
Old 06-14-2013, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Genius drumming

I love The Who and think Keith Moon was at his best during this time.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Genius drumming

Just look at this video. He was such a natural talent.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:21 PM

Not a very popular opinion... but here goes..

Love The Who, can't stand the praise Moon gets.
Yes, he's good but the godlike status he's garnered amongst drummers today doesn't seem wholly justified to me...

I tend to think that if he wasn't playing in one of (if not the) greatest rock bands in history, of which I know he made his contributions too, he wouldn't be so highly praised. Also, he died young and was charismatic as *(&(^%^%!... and lovably insane.

For me, his drumming is a little uneven dynamically and too messy.

Don't kill me! Just an opinion.. You know what they say about opinions... ><

Scared to push the submit button...
Here goes...
Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 PM

I love moon the loon. Not always technically accurate I accept but he had great feel and showmanship combined
Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 PM

Peart's playing is choreographed, rehearsed and predictable. Every song always sounds exactly the same live with no improvisation at all, same can be said about Bonham. Keith Moon on the other hand played what he felt, with soul, improvisation and a lively precision that leaves the listener on the edge of their seat. Listen to The Who Live at Leeds and if you have an ear for true art, you will realize Moon was the greatest Rock n' Roll drummer who has ever picked up a pair of sticks
Old 08-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwoodmoon View Post
I love moon the loon. Not always technically accurate I accept but he had great feel and showmanship combined
What does that mean though, not always technically accurate? I think I know all the Who songs by heart (well....), and I'm trying to think of one where the drums aren't "technically" accurate. I'm drawing a blank.

Can you enlighten me?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
(
What does that mean though, not always technically accurate? I think I know all the Who songs by heart (well....), and I'm trying to think of one where the drums aren't "technically" accurate. I'm drawing a blank.

Can you enlighten me?
His time playing could be all over the place.

With that said, I love Moon. More than any other drummer of his era. The spontaneous energy was unlike any other Rock drummer.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

To my mind, he had the necessary technique and discipline to play exactly what came from his heart and head. He inspired a couple of generations of players and I probably never would have picked up a pair of sticks if I hadn't listened to him. However, it is easy to overlook his culinary talent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtqeTXRRIyU

National Association of Rudimental Drummers
(N.A.R.D.) Member, No. 10078
Old 08-10-2013, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
His time playing could be all over the place.
Example?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Old 08-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

I do not hear sloppy. My generation shows an energetic drum track, that is very well constructed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594WLzzb3JI

Behind blue eyes, sounds very tasteful and is also very well executed. After a certain degree of experience we think we can play like the maniac Moon and try to duplicate that Moon sound, but overall it is very hard to duplicate his feel.

Moon gave up the high-hat and used his crash cymbals and double bass more then others had at the time. Before Moon the crash cymbal for rock was not used as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfuWXRZe9yA

In perspective of the era, Moon did very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

Won't get fooled again, is again not sloppy. He has good chops in this song and his fills aer a good use of the crashes and are very well executed. He has some good fills and shows some good drumming.

I am not even an ultimate Keith Moon fanatical fan, I am just a fellow drummer who notices his contribution to the art.

The top rock drummers at the time were Ginger Baker, Bill Brufrod, Charlie Watts, John Bonham, Carl Palmer, Ian Palce, Carman Appice, Mitch Mitcheal, and Ringo Star. Yet Moon's work at the time had a unique phrasing that has inspired drummers to the present. Moon was not the greatest drummer. I am not sure if there ever will someone to hold that title, but Moon did very well and gave us all a new way to look at the art of drumming.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
Example?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
You know, now you've asked me to find some - I can't. I distinctly remember seeing more than one video from post-1975 where Keith is obviously off his face and his time being altered as a result.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's all a figment of my own biased listening.

I love Keith, I love The Who. 'Discipline' was never a word that I would associate with The Who but that just adds to how great they were.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You know, now you've asked me to find some - I can't. I distinctly remember seeing more than one video from post-1975 where Keith is obviously off his face and his time being altered as a result.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's all a figment of my own biased listening.

I love Keith, I love The Who. 'Discipline' was never a word that I would associate with The Who but that just adds to how great they were.
Nah, I'm being a pill, I know it. It's just this: I don't see what's accomplished in pointing out Keith Moon's deficiencies. I don't understand the detractors, and I really don't understand the haters. I don't understand the mean minded people who only want to talk about his addictions. Shame on them.

Keith Moon is one of the great rock drummers in the history of rock drumming. He was a genius. Let's accept him as such, enjoy him as such, and be very glad that there was a band called the Who that played the music it did because it had the musicians it did, one of whom was the inimitable Keith Moon.

I love Keith Moon.

Keith Moon lives!

Last edited by con struct; 08-10-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:25 AM
Platinum Member

I enjoy it too. He wouldn't be Keith without the 'flaws'.

Jay, we're agreeing mate.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I enjoy it too. He wouldn't be Keith without the 'flaws'.

Jay, we're agreeing mate.
I know. You're one of the tribe.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:39 AM
Silver Member

Sorry for necro'ing this thread...

Is there a thread somewhere that discusses some of the specifics of Keith's playing, and steers clear of philosophy and discussing his offstage antics? I've been listening to a lot of Roy McDonald's Moon-inspired fills lately. Stuff like the 16th note triplet beginning on the 'and of the two' adds a neat flavor to otherwise uninspired playing.

This thread had a handful of posts, but I'm looking for something more drummer-centric.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Sorry for necro'ing this thread...

Is there a thread somewhere that discusses some of the specifics of Keith's playing, and steers clear of philosophy and discussing his offstage antics? I've been listening to a lot of Roy McDonald's Moon-inspired fills lately. Stuff like the 16th note triplet beginning on the 'and of the two' adds a neat flavor to otherwise uninspired playing.

This thread had a handful of posts, but I'm looking for something more drummer-centric.
Searched and found these two threads:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...ght=keith+moon

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...ght=keith+moon
Old 05-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonero View Post
Indeed. I saw those two ( and a few others) before necro'ing this one. Each of those is 3 pages of babble and a dozen lines of drumming related information.

Quote:
following the vocal
crashing on odd 3s
pumping the bass drum constantly through "fills"
not playing both sticks on the same tom very often at all when playing around the kit
riding on two cymbals
using the single stroke four a ton
etc etc.
triplet heavy
kick flams

The parts look like an immense amount of fun to play at almost any skill level. and do a great job of challenging my notion of what a fill should be.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:45 PM

Have you watched Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who? A couple people get cerebral about Keith's playing. And in general, there more info on Keith in this flik than anywhere else.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
Have you watched Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who? A couple people get cerebral about Keith's playing. And in general, there more info on Keith in this flik than anywhere else.
I just reserved it at my local library and will give it a shot. Thanx for the tip.

Edit: Just watched. Had a bunch of what I was looking for.

Last edited by KamaK; 05-25-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:37 AM

Ginger Baker and Keith Moon are the reason I started playing the drums. I saw Baker first (with Cream), then Moon (with the Who). I created my drumming style by blending the best aspects of each of their drumming styles. Later I incorporated aspects of the styles of Bill Bruford, Billy Cobham, Tony Williams, Chester Thompson and Phil Collins.
I saw the Who live several times in the late 60s and early 70s during the Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrophenia tours.
If you want to see Keith Moon at the absolute height of his creative powers, check out the Who's performance at the Tanglewood Music Shed on July 7, 1970. The full concert is usually available via YouTube. This is the last time the Who performed Tommy live in the USA. Moon is absolutely on fire. His drumming is flawless. It's smooth, powerful and effortless! This is undeniable evidence that Moon and John Entwhistle are one of the finest rock rhythm sections ever! And that Moon is easily one of the best rock drummers ever, period! As far as him being sloppy, a poor time keeper or technically inefficient, this performance obliterates those criticisms (at least during this time period). He perfectly compliments the music in a distinctive, creative, entertaining and musically powerful way.
Unfortunately, many people have poor visual reference with which to gauge Moon's true genius. It's generally agreed by knowledgeable Moon aficionados that his later performances are marred by lack of practice, the degenerative and de-conditioning effects of the rock and roll life style and boredom. It is because of these later performances that many people believe Moon is deeply flawed and overrated. I saw the Who in 1975 at the Silverdome (in Pontiac, MI) and he was a shadow of his former self.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magi View Post
If you want to see Keith Moon at the absolute height of his creative powers, check out the Who's performance at the Tanglewood Music Shed on July 7, 1970. The full concert is usually available via YouTube.
Thanx for pointing this out. While watching this, I'm seeing some RllrrL-R triplets that I never noticed before, and was playing/interpreting all wrong.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Thanx for pointing this out. While watching this, I'm seeing some RllrrL-R triplets that I never noticed before, and was playing/interpreting all wrong.
6 stroke roll
Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM

I just watched The Who's DVD Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970 and it has some great footage of Keith performing.

What struck me most was the way he engaged with Pete and John both visually and verbally. He looked at them with wide eyes, laughed at them, smiled at them, nodded, pointed, and "conducted". Never a dull moment.

After I got passed that, I noticed that his kit sounded really great, but I couldn't see a forest of microphone stands. NO overheads, yet the cymbals are screaming and Keith is NOT a hard hitter. He actually looked a bit gentle working on his tins. (Not so much on his kicks. A head was replaced during a tune.)

And the size of his toms! All the mounted toms are what we consider "hyper-drive" today. Short Premiere toms sounding huge!

If anyone knows, please let us know how they mic'd his kit. The only mics I can see are kick mics on booms.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

So I've just watched the Tanglewood concert for the 20th time... I think I've learned more from this video about Moon's playing than all the other videos combined. I think it's because the camera angles are extremely sympathetic to anyone wanting to see Keith's playing.

@cbphoto -- You can see the mics underneath the toms in the Tanglewood vid. While blurry, it looks like SM-58's. You can also see the overheads.

Last edited by KamaK; 07-18-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerduncan2002 View Post
Would anyone care to enlighten me about Keith Moon? He is deemed a legend, yet I have never been impressed by his playing. I found his playing sloppy, especially in concert. I don't think he took his playing all that seriously. Maybe someone could help me out.

[
Too much of the wrong sort of Drugs