DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Default DTX 502 adding a third 3 zone cymbal

I am wondering if anyone has tried to add a 3 zone cymbal, and have gotten all 3 zones to work?

With ALL of the true 3 zone inputs already used (snare, ride, crash, Hihat), the conventional way would be to plug into the Bass drum pedal or Y jack one of the toms, but this would only result in a 1 zone cymbal.

My thoughts are to move one of the toms (y jack) and then plug my extra cymbal into the (now open) port, which should result in a 2 zone cymbal.

Any thoughts on if it is possible to get the 3rd zone working as well?

Thanks
Old 05-16-2014, 03:28 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: DTX 502 adding a third 3 zone cymbal

I am not familiar with that brain but, if you have 3 dual zone pads that can go single and use y cables on them it should work.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 05-16-2014, 06:05 AM

What I have is the 1 extra 3 zone cymbal. All the zones have 1/4" stereo plugs. I will test later, but my suspicion (and hope) is that on the stereo cable, ring is 1 zone, tip another, and perhaps a signal to both simultaneously would trigger the 3rd zone???

Unfortunately, only the snare, ride and crash inputs have 3 zone capability (from what I think that I read).

I have a plan that should get me 2 zones, but if I could get the 3rd, it will be great.

I am almost finished setting up the kit. Only the wiring left and it will be showtime.

If everything works, I'll move on to the extra cymbal!!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:11 AM

Everything works, so I am moving on to the extra cymbal....btw: this kit sounds great!! at least to me
Old 05-16-2014, 01:09 PM

Have you posted in www.dtxperience.com? Their forums are a pretty good resource (if you can put up with the spam posts). I'm on the dtxtreme iis forum, and I'm pretty sure I ran across a post in the past where someone explained how to accomplish what you're looking for. Hopefully, it would apply to your brain as well.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:14 PM

In searching the net, I did pass thru , but it was mostly about older stuff, so .....I will go back and look

Thanks
Old 05-20-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtliquid View Post
Have you posted in www.dtxperience.com? Their forums are a pretty good resource (if you can put up with the spam posts). I'm on the dtxtreme iis forum, and I'm pretty sure I ran across a post in the past where someone explained how to accomplish what you're looking for. Hopefully, it would apply to your brain as well.
I have occasionally looked (and even posted) at www.dtxperience.com, but it seems to suffer from really low participation. Not a lot of interesting or helpful stuff.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw View Post
What I have is the 1 extra 3 zone cymbal. All the zones have 1/4" stereo plugs. I will test later, but my suspicion (and hope) is that on the stereo cable, ring is 1 zone, tip another, and perhaps a signal to both simultaneously would trigger the 3rd zone???

Unfortunately, only the snare, ride and crash inputs have 3 zone capability (from what I think that I read).

I have a plan that should get me 2 zones, but if I could get the 3rd, it will be great.
You could possibly simulate a 3rd cymbal zone by setting a velocity cross-fade between layers A & B for the cymbal trigger input (as detailed on manual page 52).
Maybe try the “XFade9” setting to switch between sounds like a cymbal bow/edge on layer A and a bell/cup on layer B when the cymbal is hit harder.
Yamaha have used a similar technique with their 'Cmb' cymbal sounds in the Multi-12 kits.

Last edited by Hansolo; 05-20-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a try. So far, at several points I got 2 zones working, and it seemed fine, but after playing for a while, the 2nd zone was tough to trigger???

AT the moment, I'm up to a 9 piece set, so almost a full house anyhow