DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-07-2014, 04:18 PM

Default Good Affordable E-Drums?

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if I'm say or do anything wrong.

Anyway, I've been playing an acoustic set since I've started playing, but recently that's not an option anymore since I moved and an acoustic set would be too noisy. So I'm converting over to the electronic side (woo!)

Can you guys recommend a good, affordable electronic drum set? Preferably around 800USD. I'm not exactly a beginner, but definitely wouldn't call myself a pro. So something average would do.

Thank you for your time!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Good Affordable E-Drums?

The problem with starting out is if you go cheap and like the electronic drums you will wish you had bought a better setup in the first place.
Generally you should buy your 2nd set first and save a bunch of $.
If you can DIY consider turning your acoustic set electronic. Lots of ways to do it.
Google and vdrums.com are your best friends for this.
Get the best module you can to start the process.
Look at Roland, Yamaha, and 2box leave the rest for boys and toys IMHO.
Go to stores and try the ones you are interested in to compare. Keep the future in mind as tomorrow comes very early.
Don't discount going used from the 3 mentioned above well made and last a long time if taken care of.
Good Luck.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:31 PM

Hello, I know you are looking for e-drums but we've launched an air-drumming instrument a few months back, so you may not be aware it's an option. It's a (slightly) bigger leap than switching to e-drums but it fits your constraints very well. It's called Aerodrums.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:09 PM

Used Roland TD-9 kit will fit that budget. It probably wont be the mesh head model, but if you look around you might find one with mesh heads for ~$100 more.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:26 AM

Got my Roland TD-11ks for $900 Cdn. It's a good place to start, although not really a beginner kit. You can upgrade the rubber pads to mesh as they come along, possibly used. don't think however that mesh upgrades are cheap: the most reasonable PDX-100 (10") go for around $200 new, so a set of four is almost as much as the original kit. that being said, you might be well satisfied with the rubber heads on the TD-11ks (the snare is mesh). The kit does not feel cheap or like a toy, but play one first at a music store..
Old 05-08-2014, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Will definitely try out the Roland kits, especially the Roland TD9, looks awesome, reasonable pricing, awesome module. Thanks again!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

You can save a ton of money by buying used pads, especially rubber ones (they don't wear out). Mesh pads are nice but they are very expensive new. Same goes for Roland cymbals. Yamaha seems to make more affordable cymbals. I would not skimp on the module, though. Now that the TD30 has been out a while you might be able to snag a used TD20 for a good price.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:44 PM

I think there's a good Drum! magazine article about good under $600 electronic kits.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

The Roland TD-10 used to be Roland's top flight V-Drum kit years ago and I had one of those, and I dare say the module is still up to spec. You can probably find entire TD-10 kits used in that sub-1000 range by now. You get the mesh heads, a great module, and the rack to mount it all. Look for one of those if you can.