DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 05-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: SO what annoys you? (The so is on purpose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Wow, you must be absolutely bursting by now :)
I have an impeccably-powdered nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
i'm guessing "Stig" isn't exactly fearless then?
Of all our cats, he's the one who should be the least neurotic. They all are a bit weird, I can't imagine why.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
I have an impeccably-powdered nose.
Is that from discreet and lady like consumption of Colombian marching powder?
Old 05-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
They all are a bit weird, I can't imagine why.
I believe it's part of the feline genome.

Here is some evidence.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

Today's annoyance:

Store Gift Cards

The marketing jackal that thought these up should be a target for rotten tomato throwing classes. I simply refuse to give these as gifts now unless I absolutely know the recipient wants one from this particular store. In the US, there are only a handful of states with cash redemption laws, and most of those are for when the card value falls below $5. Under the current scheme, every scenario favors the store over the consumer. Let's say you receive a $25 card for store X from your auntie.

1. If you want something at store X already and it's over $25, this is the best case scenario for you. It's no different than if auntie handed you $25 on the way into the store. And it's no different for the store, either.

2. What if what you want is less than $25? You now have the option of handing the difference to the store as extra profit or (more typically) you search around the store for something that bridges the gap, something you wouldn't have bought otherwise, thus generating extra sales for store X. Either situation is extra profit for the store.

3. Then there's the possibility that you can't find anything you want/need at store X. If you leave the card in your sock drawer gathering dust, that's pure profit for the store. You could wander around the store and buy something-anything really, but if you don't need it that seems like a terrible waste. Besides, you still have scenario 2 to deal with depending on what you buy.

4. Re-gift. You could give the gift card to a third party as a gift but now you're just passing the problem onto another person.

5. Sell it to a third party at a loss. Duh.

The truly evil version of the gift card is the "gift card with interest". That is, the store charges you interest which is deducted from the card value for every month the card is not used.

Yeah, I received a gift card the other week...
Old 05-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFiore View Post
Today's annoyance:

Store Gift Cards

The marketing jackal that thought these up should be a target for rotten tomato throwing classes. I simply refuse to give these as gifts now unless I absolutely know the recipient wants one from this particular store. In the US, there are only a handful of states with cash redemption laws, and most of those are for when the card value falls below $5. Under the current scheme, every scenario favors the store over the consumer. Let's say you receive a $25 card for store X from your auntie.

1. If you want something at store X already and it's over $25, this is the best case scenario for you. It's no different than if auntie handed you $25 on the way into the store. And it's no different for the store, either.

2. What if what you want is less than $25? You now have the option of handing the difference to the store as extra profit or (more typically) you search around the store for something that bridges the gap, something you wouldn't have bought otherwise, thus generating extra sales for store X. Either situation is extra profit for the store.

3. Then there's the possibility that you can't find anything you want/need at store X. If you leave the card in your sock drawer gathering dust, that's pure profit for the store. You could wander around the store and buy something-anything really, but if you don't need it that seems like a terrible waste. Besides, you still have scenario 2 to deal with depending on what you buy.

4. Re-gift. You could give the gift card to a third party as a gift but now you're just passing the problem onto another person.

5. Sell it to a third party at a loss. Duh.

The truly evil version of the gift card is the "gift card with interest". That is, the store charges you interest which is deducted from the card value for every month the card is not used.

Yeah, I received a gift card the other week...
The wife and I were talking about this just the other day, specifically restaurant gift cards. Why would someone want to receive a Taco Bell gift card as a gift? And who would be that inconsiderate to force someone to eat at a specific food establishment? This seems like the worst gift ever to me. Just send me a use anywhere gift card so I can decide what to do with it. Or even better, just send me the money.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
I believe it's part of the feline genome.

Here is some evidence.
Classic! I loved it. Reinforces the saying "dogs have owners, cats have staffs".

TODAY'S RANT

People who ask questions that they already know the answer to - they hear the question asked in a small setting and then use it to look smart in front of a larger gathering. Dunno if I described that well or not.

EDIT: I also hate when people respond to a thread when they really don't have anything to say. Going to take a break for a while....

MM

Last edited by Mike_In_KC; 05-08-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Today's annoyance:

Store Gift Cards
More than happy to recieve them. If someone's ever at a loss then I'll always toss out a hint that a gift card from either:

1. Bunnings Hardware
2. JB HI FI
3. Drumtek or GH Music
4. Dan Murphys Liquor Store

will be more than appreciated.

More often than not, they've ensured I haven't been stuck with something I really didn't want in the first place. Granted, I would be less than impressed with a gift card from Taco Bell though.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:39 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Store gift cards....where they take perfectly good money and make it so you can only use it at one place.

Worlds worst gift. Not even fit for re-gifting.

Gomez Addams
Old 05-09-2014, 03:45 AM
Platinum Member

You wanna know what annoys me? Death and Taxes.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:12 AM

Stupid Stuff.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
You wanna know what annoys me? Death and Taxes.
Then you'll absolutely adore the Death Tax.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:54 AM
Gold Member

FAKES
Fake Rolex
Fake Auto Parts
Fake Louis Vuitton
Fake Salvador Dali Signatures
Fake Shure SM57 Microphones

GJS
Old 05-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Administrator

So Last night I am watching Shark Tank, and there is a guy there who just started a company which made I think 350,000.00 last year selling gift cards. He will give you 75% of face value, then sells them for 90% through PayPal. The Sharks did make him an offer he liked, but at a percentage of the company a bit higher than he had hoped. Oh and I started my post with SO. SOrry
Old 05-09-2014, 03:43 PM

Slow left lane drivers (right lane for Brits and Aussies)
Loud chewing, smacking, crunching, open mouth when eating.
When people sniffle a lot and do loud "nose breathing" with mucus sounds when a simple nose blowing would solve the problem. Can't stand that.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Rich people don't pay estate taxes, at least not in the manner a simple reading of the law states. They have ways around that. They have ways around almost everything. Except death.

But they're working on it.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You mean it gets worse? Ai-yi-yi....
Old 05-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Rich people don't pay estate taxes, at least not in the manner a simple reading of the law states. They have ways around that. They have ways around almost everything. Except death.

But they're working on it.
If rich people can figure out how not to die, I am going to eat one so this knowledge will be imparted on me. Since I am not rich, I imagine they wont just tell me.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Not an annoyance, just a question. Why do we use the term old school "phat" sound when describing snare drums, when old school would surely be "fat" sound since "phat" is a relatively new word used to describe women as pretty hot and tempting.?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Not an annoyance, just a question. Why do we use the term old school "phat" sound when describing snare drums, when old school would surely be "fat" sound since "phat" is a relatively new word used to describe women as pretty hot and tempting.?
when you say, 'wow, she's phat!' how do your peers know what fat/phat you're talking about?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Basically they don't know, but if the female is slim, and attractive it's pretty obvious which phat was used. I haven't used the term since it is from a generation much younger than me, but certainly not "old school"
Old 05-10-2014, 04:46 AM
Silver Member

I think it's a form of Orwellian newspeak. Kind of like "bad" turned into "good" or "entitlement" turned into "you don't deserve this". You know, the precise opposite of its definition.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Banned

It's been wayyyyy to long since the grouches have posted here...

PEOPLE WHO WORK OUT LOUD. I am in cube-land and the guy who sits right next to me, works out loud. I am on his team too so I never know if he is talking to me or not. If I wear headphones I can expect to be startled out of my mind when he sneaks up behind me and wants to talk. I have brought it up with him before to no avail. THIS is one of the many benefits of cube-land.

Now GOML!

I went all text talk on you.

MM
Old 06-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Gold Member

Disorganization. This drives me nuts.

Micromanagers. People who are so concerned with how everyone else does things, they neglect to do their own job.

Running out of trimmer string with only 20 feet or so of house left to weed eat.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:36 AM
Rebel

Politicians & T.V. Preachers sell salvation for money.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

Politicians and preachers no longer annoy me as much as they used to. Now I just sort of see them as part of the lunatic background noise that we call society. In other words, I expect their behaviour and treat it like the game it is. It is unfortunate though, that they get so much respect from so many people. Which is not to say that I don't think some of them really have the best intentions at heart for people, but I think they're in the minority. From everything I have seen, I believe a good number of them are clearly irrational, unhinged from reality, or just plain ignorant and/or stupid. Of the remainder, a sizable portion are simply cynical and attempting to feather their own nests, the good of the rest of society be damned.

C'mon now, Tennessee gives a guy $43 million in tax breaks so that he can build a park in their state where he can proclaim that the story of Noah's ark is literally true and the earth is a mere 6000 years old. How can that be anything other than hilarious, especially when you hear politicians proclaiming how important education is for our children and their future? Dark humor to be sure, but humor none the less.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 PM

Automatic transmissions. They never upshift when I want them to, and never downshift when I want them to. I do admit that it could be user error, as I am not very good with telepathy.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Politicians and preachers no longer annoy me as much as they used to. Now I just sort of see them as part of the lunatic background noise that we call society. In other words, I expect their behaviour and treat it like the game it is. It is unfortunate though, that they get so much respect from so many people. Which is not to say that I don't think some of them really have the best intentions at heart for people, but I think they're in the minority. From everything I have seen, I believe a good number of them are clearly irrational, unhinged from reality, or just plain ignorant and/or stupid. Of the remainder, a sizable portion are simply cynical and attempting to feather their own nests, the good of the rest of society be damned.

C'mon now, Tennessee gives a guy $43 million in tax breaks so that he can build a park in their state where he can proclaim that the story of Noah's ark is literally true and the earth is a mere 6000 years old. How can that be anything other than hilarious, especially when you hear politicians proclaiming how important education is for our children and their future? Dark humor to be sure, but humor none the less.
I find public service entertaining in the way that you have just described. It is neither for the public, or a service. We the People, For the People, By the People has become Us, For Us, By Us. This is my annoyance for the day.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:25 AM

1. Ex-POW who deserted his squad coming home to the accolades of politicians.
  2. A rich man's concubine who entraps him in a private conversation.
  3. Farmers who complain about the price of their crop, from their second home in the Hamptons.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
We the People, For the People, By the People has become Us, For Us, By Us.
That's because almost everything in the USA is now either owned by or controlled by corporations (or the major owners of said corporations).

I am annoyed by nightly news which is only half accurate. By that I mean that it's nightly but very little is actual news. Much of it is advertising or marketing disguised as news, or statements designed to sway people's opinions, and perhaps a "feel good" piece at the very end so that after watching all of this inane crap you forget about your initial desire to shoot yourself.

And along with this is the constant drumbeat* of "trial by TV" where everyone and their pet weighs in on the latest "news" and offers up their proclamation of innocence or guilt, along with appropriate punishment, in spite of the fact that they have precious little information and factual data to go on.

* Had to work in a reference somewhere...
Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Banned

People who post detailed personal problems on a drum forum.

Will not happen again.

MM
Old 06-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Or who make fun of medieval bands and their clothings for no reason.
I needed to say this. Slightly more respect goes a LONG way.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:28 AM
Silver Member

Politicians- Half of them stand for nothing, the other half do nothing

Labor Unions- A great idea until they hurt more than they help

Most modern music- Talent takes a backseat to catchy lyrics and cool beats

Bad drivers- Why should I be late because someone can't drive the speed limit?

Lazy people- If you aren't willing to work for it, don't ask me for it

Obsessive swearing- What better way to look like a moron
Old 06-06-2014, 06:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrocker View Post
Bad drivers- Why should I be late because someone can't drive the speed limit?
Driving slow does not make one a bad driver. And as a slow driver, I will refute your claim by asking if you think tailgating us slow drivers because you are in a hurry is safe? Furthermore, if someone driving slow makes you late, perhaps you should take that into account and leave earlier. Not everyone wants to drive fast, and we all have equal right to be on and use the road. The speed limit is just that, the limit, not a mandatory speed.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Driving slow does not make one a bad driver. And as a slow driver, I will refute your claim by asking if you think tailgating us slow drivers because you are in a hurry is safe? Furthermore, if someone driving slow makes you late, perhaps you should take that into account and leave earlier. Not everyone wants to drive fast, and we all have equal right to be on and use the road. The speed limit is just that, the limit, not a mandatory speed.
It makes you an annoying driver sometimes, and according to statistics, probably also a bad driver ...Federal and state studies have consistently shown that the drivers most likely to get into accidents in traffic are those traveling significantly below the average speed. According to research, those driving 10 mph slower than the prevailing speed are more likely to be involved in an accident. That means that if the average speed on an interstate is 70 mph, the person traveling at 60 mph is more likely to be involved in an accident than someone going 70 or even 80 mph.

Further reading. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_curve

Being pokey might make you feel better, but it's not making you or anyone else safer. Speed limits are established around the 85th percentile generally. They don't cater to speed demons, they cater to what should be safest in the area and on that street.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
It makes you an annoying driver sometimes, and according to statistics, probably also a bad driver ...Federal and state studies have consistently shown that the drivers most likely to get into accidents in traffic are those traveling significantly below the average speed. According to research, those driving 10 mph slower than the prevailing speed are more likely to be involved in an accident. That means that if the average speed on an interstate is 70 mph, the person traveling at 60 mph is more likely to be involved in an accident than someone going 70 or even 80 mph.

Being pokey might make you feel better, but it's not making you or anyone else safer. Speed limits are established around the 85th percentile generally. They don't cater to speed demons, they cater to what should be safest in the area and on that street.
I like this post very much.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

I remember my defensive driving instructor (a former NYS trooper) saying the biggest issue is speed differential, so very slow is as much of a problem as very fast (compared to the median). He added that no sane officer would give you a speeding ticket if you were going over the speed limit but traveling at the median speed (i.e., everyone's speeding) for that very reason. Not sure if all officers see it that way, though. Of course, it's only fair to add that your impact energy goes up as the square of velocity, so it you're going to be in an accident, better it be at a slower speed.

In any case, here's what I find darkly funny about speeds: Around here in the winter we get serious amounts of snow. I drive an AWD vehicle (Subaru) with 4 snow tires (Blizzaks). It works very well but I understand its limits. I also understand that when the streets are bad the average driver does not have the same traction that I do and I'm cool with that, but... I do get passed by people in FWD cars that likely have all season tires on them. That makes me scratch my head. The real crazies, though, are the guys in SUVs and large 4WD trucks who fly by me. They act like they're on dry pavement. Apparently, they have yet to figure out that in spite of their increased traction at the red light, their braking and turning capabilities are still severely compromised. Every now and then I see one in a ditch.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Precisely. I hardly ever drive more than 5 MPH over the limit, one because I don't want the hassle of being stopped and two because I couldn't afford the ticket. I have seen some roads with minimum speed limits and of course all raods have speed limits or what someone with better engineering skills than I has determined that to be the safe speed. If you feel someone may delay your arrival at you destination by 3 - 5 minutes then yes, leave earlier. I'm sure that 3-5 minutes will not alter the world's situation in the least. I have seen NASCAR drivers fly around just inches apart, so if you think tailgating me is going to intimidate me into moving over, you are mistaken.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well, I never tailgate anyone, but if you notice a lot of slow drivers also don't seem to consider other people in a lot of driving situations. It definitely isn't all of them, but if you are getting on a highway, and a person in front of you is not accelerating, it can cause problems when it is busy. This is all just my observations or opinions now, but often, I see drivers that are going slow often act indecisively when changing lanes, turning, etc.

I don't speed much (2 tickets in 3 weeks fixed that), but I notice a connection between people going slow and being indecisive, which can really cause problems for others on the road.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

I don't drive that slow, I like to be within 3-5 mph of the speed limit. Everyone else here does like 10-15 over, so that makes me slow. I have also never been at fault in an accident.

Quote:
Precisely. I hardly ever drive more than 5 MPH over the limit, one because I don't want the hassle of being stopped and two because I couldn't afford the ticket. I have seen some roads with minimum speed limits and of course all raods have speed limits or what someone with better engineering skills than I has determined that to be the safe speed. If you feel someone may delay your arrival at you destination by 3 - 5 minutes then yes, leave earlier. I'm sure that 3-5 minutes will not alter the world's situation in the least. I have seen NASCAR drivers fly around just inches apart, so if you think tailgating me is going to intimidate me into moving over, you are mistaken.
NASCAR seems to be the method of driving here. A pack of cars doing 85 mph all within 10 feet of each other scares me. I stay to the right and let them pass, but there is always someone who feels too lazy to switch lanes and go around me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrocker View Post
Well, I never tailgate anyone, but if you notice a lot of slow drivers also don't seem to consider other people in a lot of driving situations. It definitely isn't all of them, but if you are getting on a highway, and a person in front of you is not accelerating, it can cause problems when it is busy. This is all just my observations or opinions now, but often, I see drivers that are going slow often act indecisively when changing lanes, turning, etc.

I don't speed much (2 tickets in 3 weeks fixed that), but I notice a connection between people going slow and being indecisive, which can really cause problems for others on the road.
I wasn't saying you specifically, but it seems that there are a lot of people who will catch up to a slow driver then try to "push" them into going faster. This makes some people nervous and takes the focus off of where they are going and puts it on the person behind them being so close. This becomes a distraction and can be unsafe.

Todays annoyance: I had a spicy pepper plant growing in my wife's garden. It was like 3-4 inches tall. One of my dogs took it upon themselves to dig it up.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you feel someone may delay your arrival at you destination by 3 - 5 minutes then yes, leave earlier. I'm sure that 3-5 minutes will not alter the world's situation in the least. I have seen NASCAR drivers fly around just inches apart, so if you think tailgating me is going to intimidate me into moving over, you are mistaken.
Firstly, I think that your general rule of staying within 5 miles over the posted limit is a good, safe one. That's usually what I do. What gets me though, is your last statement here. It's like you take pride in potentially slowing someone else down. Why can't you just move over if someone else wants to go faster than you do? It's not putting you out of anything, and if you're just that selfish or get some weird thrill out of refusing to let someone else go faster than you're comfortable with, I just don't get the attitude. Saying asinine things like "they should have left earlier" is kind of also making you come across like a jerk. You have literally no way of knowing if that's true or not. I do contract work and drive around to my clients every day. I take a lot of pride in being somewhere on time, and even 3-5 minutes late does bother me and my clients. There are so many things that can hold me up that are totally out of my control.

So I'm just curious, what's the logic path for refusing to move over if you see someone come up on your tail faster than you're going? Are you playing speed police, or just think you shouldn't be bothered by someone else' problem? It doesn't have to get to the level of "intimidation" as you put it, if you simply hit your turn signal and be courteous to others.