DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Senior Consultant

Default Why Meg White?

Amusing little article about lesser known musicians who deserve your respect. Scroll down to #1 for Meg.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-lesser...ur-respect_p2/
Old 04-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why Meg White?

Couldn't a competent drummer have stepped in to play those simple patterns? No, because they'd be too ashamed to attach their name to that shit

Oh god, I'm crying!!
Old 04-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Amusing little article about lesser known musicians who deserve your respect. Scroll down to #1 for Meg.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-lesser...ur-respect_p2/
That is an interesting article. I mostly agree with the writer, but not completely. Meg's drumming on the recorded version of Icky Thump is absolutely spot on for the song IMO. What's more, if that drum track hasn't been manipulated too much, it's actually quite a difficult track to pull off that consistently. Conversely, I've heard live recordings of Meg's drumming, & it has been truly atrocious, especially her timing.

Overall, I think the observation about her being integral to the very existence of White Stripes, is correct.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Without that minimalistic drumming it wouldn't have been the White Stripes. Personally I love that rough raw sound!
Old 04-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

She was perfect for Jack and the music. On the recordings and in person. I think Jack's aim was for the sound to be somewhat loose, simple and sloppy. Actually I was quite impressed with her playing live. Then again I must admit she's not bad looking either. Anyway, I miss the White Stripes.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
She was perfect for Jack and the music. On the recordings and in person. I think Jack's aim was for the sound to be somewhat loose, simple and sloppy. Actually I was quite impressed with her playing live. Then again I must admit she's not bad looking either. Anyway, I miss the White Stripes.
I agree. In fact, Jack was often as sloppy on the guitar as Meg was on drums in live clips I have seen. Still, it worked! That's what they were going for.

OK, now I need to go read the article, lol.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:50 PM
"Uncle Larry"

As a drummer, I find it embarrassing that Meg gets bashed at every turn. It's so disrespectful. If she was in the same room, how many could say those things to her face? She is not a bad person. Acceptance is a beautiful thing. Constantly calling her abilities into question is a mild form of bullying, and it's also kind of cowardly. If anyone has ever been singled out it's her. I feel for her.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I agree. In fact, Jack was often as sloppy on the guitar as Meg was on drums in live clips I have seen. Still, it worked! That's what they were going for.
Exactly. It's part of the genre that is 'garage'. Supposed to be rough and unpolished.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:47 PM

Meg White bashing is ridiculous. I kinda get people bashing Lars Ulrich because he is not a cool guy alongside not taking drumming as seriously as he did before fame when he was not only good, but creative too.

Meg White has never done anything to my knowledge that would give her a bad reputation. White stripes would not have worked if it wasn't Meg, simple as that.

Ball and Biscuit, I don't care how polished it ended up being in the studio, that is one of my favourite songs from the blues related genres. Some good riffage in there...
Old 04-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Banned

Bashing other drummers is as unattractive to me as people who bash their ex's in front of others. It just makes the basher look inadequate...
Old 04-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Makes no sense to bash Meg while other simple playing drummers gain legendary status for "playing for the song."
Old 04-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

It's not easy to play like Meg. I know, I've been doing it on a particular song for the past 4 years!

Her basic approach is quite counter-intuitive to what drummers normally do, yet it is perfectly intuitive if you're not a trained drummer. Specifically, her right hand and right foot typically work in tandem - one rarely plays without the other. Also, my understanding is that she never (or rarely) crosses her arms. Her right arm stays pretty much on the ride and floor tom side of the kit, and her left on the snare, hat and rack tom. So, pretty much an open-handed technique, or at least that's how she started out.

Those playing aspects, combined with a not-overly-educated and somewaht naive approach, makes for the perfect parts for the music. I don't think it would be any better with a more competent drummer, it would certainly be very different.

For example, if a drummer who does not play a melodic instrument, had to create a bass guitar part to go with his drum part, it would probably be very rudimentary, but it would also be perfect.

Bermuda
Old 04-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

It's an obvious piss take. So blatant in fact, that blind Freddy got it. This forum just doesn't have a giggle any more......about anything. The place used to be a bloody riot.

Anyone really think that Public Enemy fans are getting their tits in a tangle because Flavor Flav got coated in that article too?

I think she was perfect for the Stripes too.....but man, live a little. Unclench those tightly wound sphincters and crack a smile once in a while. :-)

I'm sure Meg's laughing.................all the way to the bank!!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
It's an obvious piss take. So blatant in fact, that blind Freddy got it. This forum just doesn't have a giggle any more......about anything. The place used to be a bloody riot.

Anyone really think that Public Enemy fans are getting their tits in a tangle because Flavor Flav got coated in that article too?

I think she was perfect for the Stripes too.....but man, live a little. Unclench those tightly wound sphincters and crack a smile once in a while. :-)

I'm sure Meg's laughing.................all the way to the bank!!
Thank you...

I feel as if the "anti-bash" people didn't even read the article. Cracked is a humor web site and I thought the article was funny. That's why I posted in in the off topic lounge. If I really gave a crap about Meg's drumming I would have posted in general discussion.

The title of the article is" 4 Lesser-Known Halves of Music Duos Who Deserve Your Respect". Not really "bashing" if you ask me.

For the record: Meg fit Jack's vision of a "childlike" drummer. She was perfect for the duo.
But the entire concept was Jack's.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Granted, it's Cracked... except that people really do have feelings about Meg both ways.

I know she's not a good drummer by most standards, yet she plays perfectly for the songs. A 'real' drummer would take some deprogramming in order to get it right.

Bermuda
Old 04-25-2014, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
This forum just doesn't have a giggle any more......about anything. The place used to be a bloody riot.
hmmm... yes and no....I just read the tribute band thread (somehow missed it) and had quite a few giggles
Old 04-26-2014, 02:07 AM
Renegade

Isn't it called trolling to write inflammatory pieces because you know it will get people's knickers in a twist? Sometimes that's the name pro-establishment people give to people who challenge popular assumptions to silence them. Mostly, of course, the trolls are just messy kids.

The best thing about the article was throwing the spotlight on sidekicks. The rest of it had all the depth of a drunk bubbling into his 8th schooner.

Until I heard the WS it never twigged just how little a drummer has to do for the music to sound good. Just to try something different I've tried pulling back and "going Meg" when workshopping new songs and jamming.

I was surprised to find that no one seems to notice. They just go with it. Bastards! Don't they realise that I am eschewing my prodigious drumming skills (ROFL) to play like a mere beginner?? Nope. It all seems to sound the same to them. How can we worry about audiences not noticing the drummer when the bloody band barely knows or cares that you're there? :)

When playing Meggishly, you find it's harder to keep the timing clean with the huge rests, and it generally feels weird and counter-intuitive, as Jon said. Playing like that is harder than it looks for a normal drummer.

When I strip the drums back to the major accents the music immediately gains clarity. Ringo did that in sections (with the advantage of having the option of shifting back to normal playing). He'd leave out the hats and other cymbals and let the rest of the band do the riding. It's a nice effect that throws extra emphasis on melody and harmony.

This reply is probably cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer but ... *shrugs*

Soundcloud stream
Old 04-26-2014, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

When it barely does enough to draw a wry smile from a few, I guess you could call it trolling. Other times, when sheer, unadulterated irreverence hits the mark, it gets called comic genius: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg1v8aIr6tw

Now obviously one has fallen well short of the other in the laugh stakes here. But the idea behind it is still the same. A good old fashioned piss take done in order to rattle someone else's cage. Hell, when it was released the second example still managed to have similar "bashing" allegations levelled at it. The church was outraged, others just fell into stitches.

Either way, I know I don't want to live in a world (or a drum forum) where even an attempt at playful harmless humour is shunned. Some people are always gonna be offended by things that others aren't. So do we no longer poke harmless and non-malicious fun.......just in case?

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 04-26-2014 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:28 AM
Renegade

PFOG, you know I enjoy a good piss-take but I thought it was hardly comic genius. Nyah nyah Meg is crap. Nooo, not just crap but really, really crap - and haha to anyone who's offended. Reminds me of DMC talking about Ringo. I don't think you need be a po-faced prude to go ho hum.

I just like how weird it is that the WS could sound the way they did with just two members, and one of them was a minimalist drummer. What's weird is I doubt that just Jack on guitar and vocs wouldn't be anywhere near as good so the drums really added something. People can say what they like about her - it's no biggie.

Soundcloud stream
Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So do we no longer poke harmless and non-malicious fun
I'll be posting a video here soon that's totally taking the p*%s out of myself. Will that cheer you up? ;)
Old 04-26-2014, 01:18 PM
Senior Consultant

Now that I've been slammed because "an amusing little article about lesser known musicians who deserve respect" that I linked to is both trolling and not comic genius I may as well jump in with both feet.

When a great artist like such as a Picasso purposely shuns technique and goes the other way to a minimalist, abstract or "non-traditional" approach it has merit because the artist has moved beyond those earlier forms of expression.

When a kid throws paint on a wall it's just a kid throwing paint on a wall.

In Meg's case, Jack decided that he liked the look of the paint on the wall. Jack is the artist who has moved beyond the limitations of technique. Meg is his paintbrush.

Seriously now, isn't that the true description of the White Stripes?

So, while "bashing" Meg is not nice. Praising her as some kind of minimalist genius is pure hipster hack.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:41 PM
Renegade

Nooooo Jeff. I'm not slamming you. I'm not slamming Jules. I'm not slamming anyone.

Far out, I must have somehow lost the ability to communicate what I'm thinking. For some reason the way I express myself is somehow wrong and I cannot make clear what I intend. I've had the same problem at other forums and TBH I'm pretty well over forums for that reason - I'm so fed up with trying to dig myself out of "holes" that mean nothing at all to me, just so people might not think I'm as arsehole (without success). This whole "issue" means nothing to me. Not a thing. Nix.

I was just making the observation that the author of the article was trying to get a rise out of people with obvious easy hits, and also that it's interesting how the WS music worked out.

Never mind. Have fun.

Soundcloud stream
Old 04-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So, while "bashing" Meg is not nice. Praising her as some kind of minimalist genius is pure hipster hack.
Hahaha!! Now, for some reason THAT made me laugh! And it's so true.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

The author of the article lost all credibility (assuming he had anyway) when he tried to say Fleetwood Mac were essentially a duo of Buckingham and Nicks, given Christine McVie wrote and sang lead on many Mac songs, including big hits like "Don't Stop" and others.

As for Meg, whatever. I never liked the White Stripes, period.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Haha....I love this!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Nooooo Jeff. I'm not slamming you. I'm not slamming Jules. I'm not slamming anyone.

Far out, I must have somehow lost the ability to communicate what I'm thinking. For some reason the way I express myself is somehow wrong and I cannot make clear what I intend. I've had the same problem at other forums and TBH I'm pretty well over forums for that reason - I'm so fed up with trying to dig myself out of "holes" that mean nothing at all to me, just so people might not think I'm as arsehole (without success). This whole "issue" means nothing to me. Not a thing. Nix.

I was just making the observation that the author of the article was trying to get a rise out of people with obvious easy hits, and also that it's interesting how the WS music worked out.

Never mind. Have fun.
Nah mate. Your point is well made. I feel neither slammed nor bent out of shape by any of the thoughts you've put down and I completely get where you're coming from. I was merely trying to address the fact that both the article and anyone who dares raise a smile over it, are hardly guilty of "bashing a fellow member of the drumming brotherhood" or "keeping the (wo)man down" or any of the other clichéd slogans that were tossed around earlier in the thread. Man, you'd think we stole her millions instead of having a quiet giggle over her obviously basic skillset. No-one ever said it didn't work though.

Laugh, don't laugh. Like you, I couldn't give a toss which way someone wants to roll on this. I was just trying to counter the whole "drummers don't bash other drummers" thing as a complete overreaction to what was a pretty harmless little article. I can't believe I've dedicated this amount of time to it as it is. I guess I'm just prepared to stand my ground on the "bashing" thing is all......I think it's bullshit and I'm prepared to back it in and say so.

Like I said, doubt the Flavor Flav fans are up in arms over this......or any of the other honourable mentions. And given that Meg herself has built a reputation on the "childlike drummer who can't play very well" I doubly doubt she gives a toss either. :-)