DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-27-2014, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Vinnie Colaiuta

Where to start with VC...man...

It's not just that he was in another universe technically, musically, and rhythmically from the beginning of his professional career.

It's not just that he was a 22-year old (just a kid!) versatile virtuoso who could play anything that Frank Zappa threw at him, and then some.

It's not just that he managed to go from playing with Zappa and small-time fusion acts into a studio/session superstar rivaling the likes of Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro (RIP).

It's not just that he is always dynamic, always musical, always funky and groovy even when he's playing the most insane metric modulations and poly-rhythms in the world.

It's not just that he was part Tony Williams, part John Bonham, part Steve Gadd, part Billy Cobham, part Buddy Rich, part Elvin Jones, part Stewart Copeland, and 100 percent Vinnie Colaiuta!

It's not just that he can outplay most of us with his left hand while holding the groove with his right.

It's not just that he comes up with phrases that are out-of-this-galaxy in terms of their ridiculousness, bordering on ludicrous at times, making drummers around the world go, "COME ON!" (in a good way!)

It's not just that he has an appreciation for all styles of music, no matter how simple or complex-if it's good music, he will play it.

And it's not just that he has multiple interpretations of the beat, making him a true chameleon, virtuoso, and unique voice-all at once!

It's all of these things, and more. Don't believe me? Just listen to his work with Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell, Allan Holdsworth, John Petittuci, Jeff Beck, Sting, Faith Hill, and Karizma, to name just a few.

I don't normally like the concept of "Best Drummer Alive", but if anyone deserves the title, Vinnie Colaiuta almost certainly has the greatest claim. And I know I'm far from alone with that opinion.......
Old 04-08-2014, 06:44 PM

They are Heuer drums, whoever whatever. Why should we really care what he plays. To each his own.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 PM

This might work for the interested.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...3Fr6rUFyT3sYGg
Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

I finally picked up a pair of the new stlcks.

It's alwyas been said that VF produced the sticks for Zildjian, but these sticks are clearly not made on the same machine. The diameter seems to just a little bit bigger alll around. Attention to detail on the butt and taper is better on the Zildjian. VF stick is slightly chippy.

More or less the same stick, but I definetly prefer the old one.

If Zildjian chooses to produce the old model with a different name on it I would prefer that one.

They pretty much took a bit of perfection and made it ever so slightly less perfect.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:40 AM

Remember, even back in the ten summoner's tales era, even though he was with Yamaha, he was still playing Gretsch in the studio, as was most session guys from that era. Porcaro as well. It doesn't matter what he plays. Nowadays most manufacturers are making great stuff.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 PM

He was one of my biggest inspiration when I was in high school !!

His sensibility and touch+vocabulary on the instrument ..... !!!

Perfect blend of Tony Williams and Steve Gadd !!