DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old 03-25-2014, 01:11 AM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,141
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Now...where does Mike Chimmy, who started this thread, weigh in? lol
__________________
Louis
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Diet Kirk's Avatar
Diet Kirk Diet Kirk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 426
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOP3RDRUMM3R View Post
Everyone is free to have their own opinions, their own ideas, and their own beliefs. Thankfully we have that freedom of beliefs and freedom of speech, it's great. The problem is that a lot of people don't want to accept anything other than what they believe as a possibility. I guess in the end it's not really a problem, because you're perfectly welcome to be that if that's the kind of person you are, it just limits the opportunities/relationships and definitely doesn't open a lot of doors for you, if you distance yourself from anyone who doesn't believe what you believe.

The reason people think you are "hating" or "dog piling" or whatever it can be called is because you don't accept anything other than what you believe to be right, as a possibility. And hey, like I said, it's perfectly fine, as others have stated you're not gonna make everyone happy and you don't have to have the approval of a DW member to do something in life. It's definitely not something I'm looking for before I make my next move or make a decision, BUT what is sad is when you guys try and find anything I (or anyone else for that matter) say to use against them, and when you find something you leap on it, but when you can't find anything "wrong" or anything to point out that you don't like, you just choose not to respond and ignore it. Once again, completely up to you guys, but if you can't bring yourselves to admit you might be off on something you said or that maybe you misunderstood, or maybe that there is something good out there besides what you have stubbornly decided is the only way, then don't expect for people not to look at you like you're a dog piling person on anything you don't believe in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've been the only one in this forum thread that has admitted I'm wrong about things, I'm not the best, I have a lot to work on, and that you guys are more knowledgeable and yet STILL it's like I'm talking to a brick wall that only responds when it sees a "weakness" in what I say. Not everyone does it, but there are a certain few who really make it blatantly obvious that they aren't gonna say anything unless they can use it to their advantage.

Anyway, that's just an outsider looking in, I guess.
The thing is Cooper, whilst you have "Opinion A" others have "Opinion B". If everyone feels strongly about their own opinion then whilst a good debate might end in something of a meeting of minds, it is invariably not going to end in a consensus and the people with "Opinion B", suddenly saying "Oh wait, everything you have said has completely changed my entire thinking on this subject, I admit it I'm wrong!"

Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree, there are many debates that simply cannot be won and that is the beauty of debates. You should come away having learned some things and possibly taught others some things, but not necessarily having "won" or "lost" or changed your belief.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 03-25-2014, 01:02 PM
PQleyR's Avatar
PQleyR PQleyR is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Godalming, UK
Posts: 2,283
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOP3RDRUMM3R View Post
Everyone is free to have their own opinions, their own ideas, and their own beliefs. Thankfully we have that freedom of beliefs and freedom of speech, it's great. The problem is that a lot of people don't want to accept anything other than what they believe as a possibility. I guess in the end it's not really a problem, because you're perfectly welcome to be that if that's the kind of person you are, it just limits the opportunities/relationships and definitely doesn't open a lot of doors for you, if you distance yourself from anyone who doesn't believe what you believe.

The reason people think you are "hating" or "dog piling" or whatever it can be called is because you don't accept anything other than what you believe to be right, as a possibility. And hey, like I said, it's perfectly fine, as others have stated you're not gonna make everyone happy and you don't have to have the approval of a DW member to do something in life. It's definitely not something I'm looking for before I make my next move or make a decision, BUT what is sad is when you guys try and find anything I (or anyone else for that matter) say to use against them, and when you find something you leap on it, but when you can't find anything "wrong" or anything to point out that you don't like, you just choose not to respond and ignore it. Once again, completely up to you guys, but if you can't bring yourselves to admit you might be off on something you said or that maybe you misunderstood, or maybe that there is something good out there besides what you have stubbornly decided is the only way, then don't expect for people not to look at you like you're a dog piling person on anything you don't believe in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've been the only one in this forum thread that has admitted I'm wrong about things, I'm not the best, I have a lot to work on, and that you guys are more knowledgeable and yet STILL it's like I'm talking to a brick wall that only responds when it sees a "weakness" in what I say. Not everyone does it, but there are a certain few who really make it blatantly obvious that they aren't gonna say anything unless they can use it to their advantage.

Anyway, that's just an outsider looking in, I guess.
Casey,

When you first entered this discussion I felt you did yourself credit, however, the longer it continues the more confused I am about what your objectives are here. It's starting to look like you're really after some sort of retraction, or apology, or convincing someone or other of the error of their ways...which seems to be really more knee-jerk defensiveness than reasoned, informed debate, regardless of how elegantly or eloquently presented it is.

I feel that the longer you push this issue, the further away from what I assume your objective is (the overt respect of the community here) you will find yourself...and that's a shame, because I'm sure all of us here would welcome your contribution to discussion on all matters on this forum on a regular basis. We would value your unique perspective.

People here do respect you and your right to do what you do. However, you must also respect people's right to criticize what you do, and I dare say that whether the opinions are favourable to you or not, you are getting a much higher quality of criticism and discussion here than you would encounter on YouTube most of the time.

EDIT: As an adjunct to this, I'm just checking out some of your more recent videos and I have to say, credit where it's due, this one features some really excellent playing that you should be proud of.
And yet then there's this where I disagree profoundly with your interpretation. Where did the restraint and musicality go that you showed in the live video?
__________________
Drummer for Gloryhammer
My facebook page

Last edited by PQleyR; 03-25-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 03-25-2014, 03:17 PM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Casey,
This is a clip of my band playing last Wednesday night. I would love to hear your opinion on this. Please watch and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J6pHA4sHeY
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 03-25-2014, 03:49 PM
COOP3RDRUMM3R COOP3RDRUMM3R is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post

People here do respect you and your right to do what you do. However, you must also respect people's right to criticize what you do, and I dare say that whether the opinions are favourable to you or not, you are getting a much higher quality of criticism and discussion here than you would encounter on YouTube most of the time.

EDIT: As an adjunct to this, I'm just checking out some of your more recent videos and I have to say, credit where it's due, this one features some really excellent playing that you should be proud of.
And yet then there's this where I disagree profoundly with your interpretation. Where did the restraint and musicality go?
Hey, (Ben Maybe?)

I know I probably should have just let it go awhile ago, but it's not the criticism that bugs me. People deal with that all the time and I enjoy getting it because it drives me to want to get better and to prove people wrong.

BUT It's the apparent wish of certain people in this forum to maliciously attack my attitude (or others attitudes) that bugs me. The way they will sit out for 15 responses until they see something that I say (or perhaps that someone uses the incorrect word like endorsee, or someone decides to stick up for an opinion they have like Emma did) and then they jump in to attack and point out everything incorrect in what they said, but then I, or they reply with something logical that they have no attack for and so they just sit back and wait for something else to attack. I can't be the only one to notice this? Or is that just how the forum goes, people don't respond back and forth to each other, its only two ways when they feel they can chime in and sound "right" or "more knowledgeable?"

I'm not looking for a retraction, it'd just be nice to see that although we obviously will disagree on some things, that people understand that we may have different ways of going about it, but we all have the same general goal of getting better, getting opportunity and having a career in music. I don't know if you've read this whole thread or not, but it has seemed to be the general goal to prove that that's not my intention and I'm really thrown off as to why that is? lol

And anyway, I appreciate you checking out the videos, and I appreciate the kind words about my live playing. That is what I'm most proud of, and it's what the people on this thread have been attempting to prove... that I can't play live with other musicians just because I make YouTube videos.
and yes, the restraint and musicality changes when there isn't a need for it. In one situation I am playing live with musicians and need to fit the ensemble and provide drumming that works with the band and engages the audience.
In the other situation, I literally can do whatever I want and it's just me goofing off at home, having fun, messing around with the song. When I sit down to do a song with playing as iconic as Brad's, I'm not trying to make it better by changing it because there's nothing better than the original and it would be pointless to play it exactly the same as Brad did, because he already did it and people can just listen to the original track, so instead I just have fun messing around with a track that I love and people enjoy watching it (not those that are looking for the restraint and musicality, but those who enjoy the song and enjoy watching me jam out and have a blast playing).

I hope that helps clear that up. :)

Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 03-25-2014, 05:37 PM
paravil paravil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 72
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Re not changing people's minds: I had seen several of your videos before coming across this thread, and I shared a lot of the negative initial impressions that a lot people here have. Some regarding your playing (you can obviously play, but the over-playing bugged me), and others regarding what I assumed to be an arrogant attitude. So I want to thank you for showing up here to clarify some misconceptions.

Look, the whole YouTube Drummer phenomenon honestly doesn't make a lot of sense to me (even if I do occasionally enjoy scrolling through drum videos). But I don't get it because I didn't grow up with it. That doesn't make it worse or less than what I was doing when I was 22 (busting my ass in a band playing, traveling, getting gigs), it just makes it different. You're busting your ass too, just with a different goal in view. What turned me around is your admission that you are intentionally building a brand. That's never been my intention with music, and partly because I would suck at it, but you're obviously good at it and doing very well. Again, this is not wrong, just different.

So while it's not my thing, I honestly wish you the best. You're a good player and apparently a good business man. Not that my advice is worth much, but take the few helpful nuggets that were given to you here, log out and forget the rest. Keep doing what you do for the 330,000 people who do want it, and enjoy your time doing it.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 PM
Brian Brian is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 721
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paravil View Post
But I don't get it because I didn't grow up with it.

Keep doing what you do for the 330,000 people who do want it, and enjoy your time doing it.
Again, for those who are new to this or maybe uninitiated: these kids (and adults) are buying their fan-base through bot networks.
Also, companies (drum companies, music, etc) use these same tactics. They can spam their endorsee's accounts with positive feedback and likes.

It's really no different than when you go to research a product on the 'net, and you are reading gleaming reviews of it - only to find out it is the company selling the product posting those reviews, not an actual customer. High-tech hoodwink.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 PM
HMNY HMNY is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Ex UK
Posts: 775
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Like PQleyR, I have viewed a number of your videos, and have to agree, your GSU live playing is very good, and really fits in well with the rest of the band, but some of your you tube covers are destroying the underlying song, imho, you might as well not be playing along to anything such is the degree you have modified the existing drum part.

Also, and this is just my opinion,stick tricks are cool, but you are overusing them to such an extent, they're no longer appreciated. (and to put my safety sam hat on, using a kitchen knife as a teaching aid for stick twirling, really?)

Also, one final question, having been reading up on endorsements, and how the whole process is evolving in recent years, how did the Pearl and Zildjian programs come to be?
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:21 PM
Mike_In_KC Mike_In_KC is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 482
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

I dislike the "look at me" tricks behind the kit - his stick twirling antics make it so I cannot watch a full video. As the drummer I AM the driver of the song - I don't need to honk my horn and flash my lights so everyone knows I am driving. If I could say anything to the young man it would be - Let your playing speak for itself and stop acting like a clown. Oh and get off my lawn!


EDIT: I see that the young man is here...

Nice playing kid - now stop with the stick twirling.

MM
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,583
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

I've got to agree with Ben regarding the two video examples.

In the first example, you have licence to play busily because it is a musical situation that warrants it. It is utterly in keeping with the music and the precedent that is set in that kind of music.

In the case of 'Bulls on Parade', the beauty of that particular piece is the simplicity of it. It's a heavy, deep groove on all of the instruments. It needs to be stripped back to come across as a powerful piece of music.

Some of the most profoundly moving pieces of music rely on incredible simplicity. I'm going to cite Shostakovich's 'Leningrad Symphony' here. From a percussion perspective, it's largely a single snare drum playing the same pattern for a number of minutes over a developing orchestral theme. This re-occurs several times as a theme throughout the different movements of the piece. It's a beautifully simple piece that ebbs and flows and holds a huge amount of emotional content. Playing more notes in that situation is utterly inappropriate and blurs the thematic message of the piece.

Here's the first example I can find of the piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDq6osIzESE

Check out the snare part from 7 minutes onwards until the end of the movement.

In 'Rock' music (or Popular music - whatever you want to call it) things are a little more nebulous and open to compositional changes. This doesn't mean that you have to profoundly change anything. If you decide to change anything, you should be clear why you are and that clarity often comes from an outsider's perspective. The real art of playing professionally with other people is about knowing when to hold back and respect the space of the other instruments (usually vocals) and when to take to the fore and let loose. It's the same 'ebb and flow' and 'tension and release' concept that occurs in Classical music.

If we take the example of 'Bulls on Parade' (a piece Ben knows very well, incidentally), it's a heavy, deep groove most of the time. That's because it's conveying a clear message in the vocal line. Your job there should be to support the vocal line. Towards the end of the piece is your 'release' moment with an extended fill on the drums. Playing too many notes early on ruins that building of tension and crowds the vocals, which muddies the clarity of the message.

Another message I want to get across is to listen to a wide variety of music and learn how it works. I'm not asking you to get a background in theory, just an appreciation of why note and part choices are made. If you want a real master at work, Beethoven's 9th is a great place to start. Tension and release, ebb, flow, quiet, loud and a beautiful and profound exultation - all made through a composer's decision to work well within a context of note density. Would Beethoven's 9th work if it was played at 11 the whole time? Absolutely not.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,097
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paravil View Post
Not that my advice is worth much, but take the few helpful nuggets that were given to you here, log out and forget the rest. Keep doing what you do for the 330,000 people who do want it, and enjoy your time doing it.
I disagree, I think Casey should stick around.

Clearly he's having a good time doing what he does, and he seems to have YouTube dialed-in, which may be helpful for those who want to explore and promote their own channels.

But I think it's also important to be part of the drumming community in a more interactive way. We can learn from Casey as someone who's exploring and exploiting some of the newish tools available to those who are interested. I've been in this business a LONG time and have a nice career to show for it, but I've yet to make a video of myself, record my kit at home, or post anything on my YT channel. I'm sure I'm not the only one who could benefit from Casey's experience in that area. Likewise, he can learn from the collective experience here, and at only age 22, there are plenty of unknowns that lay ahead for him. Sometimes an answer or direction from those who've been there, done that, and are still doing it, is really helpful.

When I was 22, there wasn't a resource like this to gather info or ask advice from people at all levels, with the benefit of custom images, audio and video. It's a pretty great time to learn and grow... for all of us, not just the up & coming.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 03-26-2014, 12:23 AM
The Old Hyde
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I disagree, I think Casey should stick around.



But I think it's also important to be part of the drumming community in a more interactive way.
Bermuda
I was hoping he would check out my video I posted and give feedback.( he may not have had time yet) also check out some other threads, maybe chime in on cymbal selection or pedals etc. maybe post some pics of his kit. also give some insight into the products he endorses and why maybe?
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 03-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Emmaticus00's Avatar
Emmaticus00 Emmaticus00 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 310
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I disagree, I think Casey should stick around.

Clearly he's having a good time doing what he does, and he seems to have YouTube dialed-in, which may be helpful for those who want to explore and promote their own channels.

But I think it's also important to be part of the drumming community in a more interactive way. We can learn from Casey as someone who's exploring and exploiting some of the newish tools available to those who are interested. I've been in this business a LONG time and have a nice career to show for it, but I've yet to make a video of myself, record my kit at home, or post anything on my YT channel. I'm sure I'm not the only one who could benefit from Casey's experience in that area. Likewise, he can learn from the collective experience here, and at only age 22, there are plenty of unknowns that lay ahead for him. Sometimes an answer or direction from those who've been there, done that, and are still doing it, is really helpful.

When I was 22, there wasn't a resource like this to gather info or ask advice from people at all levels, with the benefit of custom images, audio and video. It's a pretty great time to learn and grow... for all of us, not just the up & coming.

Bermuda
+1
I agree. Casey stick around, you'll learn a lot. I definitely have.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry chair View Post
Because I could make that happen...
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 03-26-2014, 01:42 AM
toddmc's Avatar
toddmc toddmc is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 1,131
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaticus00 View Post
+1
I agree. Casey stick around, you'll learn a lot. I definitely have.
+2, +3, etc??
Yes Mr Cooper should definitely stick around.
It would be a sad affair indeed if he had only joined this forum for the express purpose of defending his brand (although this thread has certainly increased his viewing numbers I'm sure).
How many questions does this forum receive every day re: recording drums/ youtube vids/ covers? I feel he would have a lot of insight to offer.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 03-26-2014, 01:57 AM
David Floegel's Avatar
David Floegel David Floegel is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nottuln, Germany
Posts: 797
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

I have read most of this thread now. First multi-paged-thread I read almost entirely actually, haha.

I gotta say, this is a fairly funny thread to me. Anyhow, I was impressed by Casey's first response - very professional.
While reading more responses tho I felt like most of you I guess: Like he needs to excuse his playing because being busy..


Anyway - CASEY: Stick around and also share your opinions and whatsoever in other threads as well! Maybe even don't reply to this thread anymore (sometimes it's better to leave things...), just go and get used to the board, comment on peoples playing in the "My Playing" section and share your views on gear and of course: introduce yourself in the proper section!!
__________________
www.davidfloegel.com
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 03-26-2014, 03:57 AM
Emmaticus00's Avatar
Emmaticus00 Emmaticus00 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 310
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Floegel View Post
Anyway - CASEY: Stick around and also share your opinions and whatsoever in other threads as well! Maybe even don't reply to this thread anymore (sometimes it's better to leave things...), just go and get used to the board, comment on peoples playing in the "My Playing" section and share your views on gear and of course: introduce yourself in the proper section!!
Yes.

Casey stick around and offer insight in the Drum Gear section. I've seen your vid's about your gear. You know what you're talking about in terms of heads, sticks, audio, drums, and hardware. I saw your Pearl ePro stuff so you have to know something about electric drums. Help other people who don't know as much. You would be a great help to this community.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry chair View Post
Because I could make that happen...
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 03-26-2014, 05:30 AM
shemp's Avatar
shemp shemp is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 876
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Casey....good on you for your motivation and skill in creating a well watched and known brand. I honestly find that very impressive and inspiring....I do not find your playing to be impressive or inspiring but you have demonstrated a skill for getting yourself known and monetizing what you do musically....hey that's impressive as far as I am concerned.

Just because I don't like your playing doesn't mean anything...eventually you will be a very strong player and you may have generated some useful contacts through your YouTube exploits. All the better.

We all know that YouTube is the narcissists sandbox.....look at me, look at me...look what I do, like me, follow me...it's dumb, but you are using it like a tool and I commend that, even if I think it's stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 PM
MikeChimmy MikeChimmy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Now...where does Mike Chimmy, who started this thread, weigh in? lol
I think that Casey is an amazing drummer and a genius when it comes to marketing. People are unfortunately picking small things and blowing them out of proportion. He is arguably a better drummer than the majority of people that I see on these forums (including myself), and is still modest about it. Unfortunately, people tend to feel better about themselves when they put someone else down (have my masters in Psychology) and that what many of the people in this thread are doing!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that opinion of theirs is only valid if it is backed by unbiased evidence and involves some sort of constructive advice if it is criticism.
__________________
My Youtube channel features drum tutorials, reviews, and info.
www.youtube.com/user/simplysnare
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 PM
Mike_In_KC Mike_In_KC is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 482
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChimmy View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that opinion of theirs is only valid if it is backed by unbiased evidence and involves some sort of constructive advice if it is criticism.
Not exactly - an opinion is a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. Opinions that are backed by unbiased evidence are called facts.

MM
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 03-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Emmaticus00's Avatar
Emmaticus00 Emmaticus00 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 310
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChimmy View Post
I think that Casey is an amazing drummer and a genius when it comes to marketing. People are unfortunately picking small things and blowing them out of proportion. He is arguably a better drummer than the majority of people that I see on these forums (including myself), and is still modest about it. Unfortunately, people tend to feel better about themselves when they put someone else down (have my masters in Psychology) and that what many of the people in this thread are doing!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that opinion of theirs is only valid if it is backed by unbiased evidence and involves some sort of constructive advice if it is criticism.
I think this guy is the most logical and calm guy on this thread right now.

+1
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry chair View Post
Because I could make that happen...
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 03-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Mike_In_KC Mike_In_KC is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 482
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaticus00 View Post
I think this guy is the most logical and calm guy on this thread right now.

+1
Mrs Cooper is that you?? :-)
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 03-26-2014, 11:34 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,097
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChimmy View Post
I think that Casey is an amazing drummer and a genius when it comes to marketing. People are unfortunately picking small things and blowing them out of proportion. He is arguably a better drummer than the majority of people that I see on these forums (including myself), and is still modest about it.
I don't know if Casey's a genius at marketing, but I'll admit he's light years ahead of me with the YouTube thing. Only time will tell to where that leads him. Also, Casey's a good drummer, but I wouldn't rank him as amazing. Once in a great while, a fan will say that I'm amazing, and I quickly correct them. Vinnie is amazing. Bozzio is amazing. Buddy was amazing. There are precious few drummers in that league.

As for picking out small things, that's what Casey can expect in the real world of professional musicianship. Perhaps it's a bit more concentrated here, but it's a taste of what goes on in live musical enounters at many levels.

Quote:
Unfortunately, people tend to feel better about themselves when they put someone else down (have my masters in Psychology) and that what many of the people in this thread are doing!
I'm fine with "me" whether I criticize (or praise) someone else. No resentment, regrets, or insecurities here. Just want to make sure you weren't referring to me.

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that opinion of theirs is only valid if it is backed by unbiased evidence and involves some sort of constructive advice if it is criticism.
Well, when I said he wasn't staying on the click, that wasn't a matter of opinion... it was a matter of egregious flamming. And I think my advice was to work on that, and not post vids that aren't stellar.

As for the extra showmanship, that is an opinion, but it's based on what I see in the real world, which is that there are very few working drummers who express themselves that way from behind the kit. But, that's really a decision for whoever auditions Casey for a job, and Casey will learn the ins & outs as time goes on, just as we all (hopefully) did.

He's certainly got more people paying attention to him than I did when I was 22, and I gladly give him his propers for that.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,097
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaticus00 View Post
I think this guy is the most logical and calm guy on this thread right now.

+1
Hey, he started it!



The thread, I mean.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Mike_In_KC Mike_In_KC is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 482
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I don't know if Casey's a genius at marketing, but I'll admit he's light years ahead of me with the YouTube thing. Only time will tell to where that leads him. Also, Casey's a good drummer, but I wouldn't rank him as amazing. Once in a great while, a fan will say that I'm amazing, and I quickly correct them. Vinnie is amazing. Bozzio is amazing. Buddy was amazing. There are precious few drummers in that league.

As for picking out small things, that's what Casey can expect in the real world of professional musicianship. Perhaps it's a bit more concentrated here, but it's a taste of what goes on in live musical enounters at many levels.



I'm fine with "me" whether I criticize (or praise) someone else. No resentment, regrets, or insecurities here. Just want to make sure you weren't referring to me.



Well, when I said he wasn't staying on the click, that wasn't a matter of opinion... it was a matter of egregious flamming. And I think my advice was to work on that, and not post vids that aren't stellar.

As for the extra showmanship, that is an opinion, but it's based on what I see in the real world, which is that there are very few working drummers who express themselves that way from behind the kit. But, that's really a decision for whoever auditions Casey for a job, and Casey will learn the ins & outs as time goes on, just as we all (hopefully) did.

He's certainly got more people paying attention to him than I did when I was 22, and I gladly give him his propers for that.

Bermuda
THAT is calm and logical.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 03-26-2014, 11:42 PM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,007
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaticus00 View Post
I think this guy is the most logical and calm guy on this thread right now.

+1
Shame he didn't employ some of your so called "logic" when his trumpeting and fanfare set the kid an impossible task at the outset.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:04 AM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,364
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
... Once in a great while, a fan will say that I'm amazing, and I quickly correct them. Vinnie is amazing. Bozzio is amazing. Buddy was amazing. There are precious few drummers in that league.
I don't think comparisons to other drummers should be the measuring stick for "amazing-ness". The majority of us grew up listening to your playing, either on the radio, on our old tape walkmans or even on the MTV before they decided that music wasn't required on the channel. That's amazing. You play damn near every style, you copy other players with great accuracy, and you play in local bands to "keep it real". To top it all off, you offer your advice and commentary to help other drummers here.

You're an amazing musician to a lot of people. Get over it.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:38 AM
Drumsinhisheart's Avatar
Drumsinhisheart Drumsinhisheart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SW VA
Posts: 478
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post

As for the extra showmanship, that is an opinion, but it's based on what I see in the real world, which is that there are very few working drummers who express themselves that way from behind the kit. But, that's really a decision for whoever auditions Casey for a job, and Casey will learn the ins & outs as time goes on, just as we all (hopefully) did.

He's certainly got more people paying attention to him than I did when I was 22, and I gladly give him his propers for that.

Bermuda
This and other things on this thread bring to mind Steve Moore. He didn't market himself on yt, but his career certainly leap into the exosphere as a result of it.

And then there's that guy who plays drums to classical compositions. I forget his name. He ended up doing a DVD with an orchestra, right? I haven't seen it, but I saw something about it somewhere. So, while it may not be common it does seem quite possible yt can help someone's exposure and thereby their career as a result.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I don't think comparisons to other drummers should be the measuring stick for "amazing-ness". The majority of us grew up listening to your playing, either on the radio, on our old tape walkmans or even on the MTV before they decided that music wasn't required on the channel. That's amazing. You play damn near every style, you copy other players with great accuracy, and you play in local bands to "keep it real". To top it all off, you offer your advice and commentary to help other drummers here.

You're an amazing musician to a lot of people. Get over it.
+1

Bermuda, Your playing has been in more listens ears (listeners....not drummers) than anybody participating on this forum put together....including Casey. (Weather he knows that or not)

I'm one of those people Wasto is talking about.

D
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:57 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,097
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsinhisheart View Post
This and other things on this thread bring to mind Steve Moore. He didn't market himself on yt, but his career certainly leap into the exosphere as a result of it... So, while it may not be common it does seem quite possible yt can help someone's exposure and thereby their career as a result.
With all due respect to Steve's viral - but unwitting - YT exposure, he'd already been doing his gig, his "schtick", had his Ludwig and other endorsements, and also put out a DVD, well before someone posted the "drummer at the wrong gig" video. I've known Steve since before that time as well, and I don't recall him ever promoting himself on YT from the comfort of his home. However, there's no question he became better known as a result of that particular clip going viral, and there have been some fun opportunities for him since.

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 AM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,097
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
You're an amazing musician to a lot of people. Get over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
+1

Bermuda, Your playing has been in more listens ears (listeners....not drummers) than anybody participating on this forum put together....including Casey. (Weather he knows that or not)
Thanks, and thanks! :)
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 03-27-2014, 01:22 AM
toddmc's Avatar
toddmc toddmc is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 1,131
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

What the hell- has this thread become "What do you think of B3RMUDADRUMM3R?? ; )
Seriously though, how could you not love Weird Al (and associated drumming).
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 AM
Drumsinhisheart's Avatar
Drumsinhisheart Drumsinhisheart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SW VA
Posts: 478
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
With all due respect to Steve's viral - but unwitting - YT exposure, he'd already been doing his gig, his "schtick", had his Ludwig and other endorsements, and also put out a DVD, well before someone posted the "drummer at the wrong gig" video. I've known Steve since before that time as well, and I don't recall him ever promoting himself on YT from the comfort of his home. However, there's no question he became better known as a result of that particular clip going viral, and there have been some fun opportunities for him since.

Bermuda
Ah. Well, no disrespect to Steve, but I had not heard of him before someone emailed that yt vid to me. It's obvious he had his schtick going before the vid went viral. He certainly didn't begin performing those moves without a great deal of practice. It might be argued millions of people now know of him without knowing his actual name. He's 'that crazy drummer." That's the phenomenon of youtube.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 AM
Drumsinhisheart's Avatar
Drumsinhisheart Drumsinhisheart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SW VA
Posts: 478
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

I may be wrong but I tend to think youtube and other such sites yet to come will be the main source of concert promotion and viewing in the future. Musicians in the flesh may fade away as technology increases. Wall size televisions becoming common. What are now considered top of the line sound systems ending up in the homes of every average person ... slide your debit card in a personal tracker, and watch the concert from the comfort of your home in a environment that will seem better than being there. Special sound stages developed for the purpose. Playing to millions rather than thousands. It's done now to a degree, but things like youtube will make it happen and become as common as people heading out to the local club to catch a band.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 03-27-2014, 04:50 AM
Emmaticus00's Avatar
Emmaticus00 Emmaticus00 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 310
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_In_KC View Post
Mrs Cooper is that you?? :-)
Haha. :( lol. Stay classy
Attached Images
 
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry chair View Post
Because I could make that happen...
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 03-27-2014, 05:12 AM
toddmc's Avatar
toddmc toddmc is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 1,131
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsinhisheart View Post
It's done now to a degree, but things like youtube will make it happen and become as common as people heading out to the local club to catch a band.
Sadly, this is becoming a hell of a lot less common these days (in Oz at least).
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 03-27-2014, 05:23 AM
T.L.'s Avatar
T.L. T.L. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 183
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

I definitely agree with Bermuda about the fact that the term " amazing" gets thrown out way too often in music circles. Miles Davis was amazing, Sinatra was amazing, Coltrane was amazing, etc. When people call every guy with some facility on an instrument amazing it seems disrespectful to the guys who really are the greats.

On the topic of what it is we do as drummers -- and what we can do as players to get closer to "amazing" -- I always think of bass players and think of the few great bass players I've played with in my life. The thing they had in common is they were easy to play with and grooved like mad.

Easier said than done, of course, for drummers as it is for bass players.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 03-27-2014, 09:30 AM
Arky's Avatar
Arky Arky is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,048
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaticus00 View Post
Haha. :( lol. Stay classy
Lol back. It's pretty un-classy to drop terms like "haters" and "dog piling" as soon as a post comes around criticizing some aspects involved with Casey that you might not fully agree with. Seems extremely fanboyish to me (maybe fangirlish in your case, I don't know). And why do you think people are rushing for negative replies? Why do you suppose the "haters" are upset when replying? Maybe it still didn't strike your mind that some people aren't floored by Casey - be it his personality, playing, way of presenting himself/coming across, distribution between showmanship and 'true' drumming skills - there's so many things. And did you notice that the "haters" are presenting argumentation to back up their view?

Do you get paid acting as his advocate? Why not simply lean back and allow for some discussion instead of whining all the time? Discussion is the purpose of this forum in case you didn't know. Remember: If you don't like some replies - feel free to _not_ post.

Last edited by Arky; 03-27-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 03-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Jeff Almeyda's Avatar
Jeff Almeyda Jeff Almeyda is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,280
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Am I missing something? He plays about as well as a first year Berklee student. Stick tricks are friggin' played out, too.

Yeah, OK. Instead of following someone like Gavin Harrison or Chris Dave on YT, I'm gonna follow this kid.

Someone needs to look up the definition of the word "amazing."

Now go and jump all over me, see if I care.
__________________
Either you have a purpose behind your expression... or you don't.
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 03-27-2014, 01:37 PM
David Floegel's Avatar
David Floegel David Floegel is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nottuln, Germany
Posts: 797
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
He plays about as well as a first year Berklee student.
Really? Hm, then I don't wanna go to Berklee anymore.. :(
__________________
www.davidfloegel.com
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 03-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,533
Default Re: What do you think about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

Can we go back to discussing Meg White? I don't know anybody's noticed, but this thread has gone on more than long enough, don't you think?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com